• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Steep Rise In Interracial Marriages Among Newlyweds 50 Years After They Became Legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

There is an active thread about IC/IR marriage, mostly talking about TB group, that too from Tamil Nadu.
From my research, it looks like it is happening more and more.
In my family, my generation all had arranged marriage and they were all among Tamil Brahmins (only
Iyers).

The next generation is experimenting with various combinations.
When we had a reunion of my wife's family it looked very much like a United Nation general assembly, people from Australia, India (very
many different) States, and the USA.
On my side of the family, we seem to be
little bit more conservative, there are Iyyangars, Panjabis, One lone person from USA.

Close to 50 years after interracial marriages became legal across the U.S., the share of newlyweds married to a spouse of a different race or ethnicity has increased more than five times — from 3 percent in 1967, to 17 percent in 2015, according to a new report by the Pew Research
pew-intermarriage.png

The Pew report comes about a month before the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Loving v. Virginia. Mildred Loving, a part-Native American, part-black woman, and Richard Loving, a white man, landed in a Virginia county jail for getting married. Today, one in six newlyweds marry someone outside their race, which appears to allude to a more accepting society.

Among adults who are not black, there's a shrinking share of those who say they would be opposed to having a close relative marrying someone who is black — from 63 percent in 1990, to 14 percent in 2016. The share of people who oppose marriages with Asian or Hispanic people has also dropped from about one in five to around one in ten
adults not in those groups. Among those who are not white, the share opposed to a relative marrying a white person has dropped from 7 percent to 4 percent.

Asian and Latino newlyweds are more likely to marry outside of their race or ethnicity than black and white newlyweds

More than a quarter of Asian newlyweds (29 percent) and Latino newlyweds (27 percent) are married to a spouse of a different race or ethnicity. Those rates go up even higher for those born in the U.S. — to 46 percent for Asian newlyweds and 39 percent for Hispanic newlyweds.

Despite lagging behind Asian and Hispanic newlyweds, black and white newlyweds experienced the most dramatic growth in the rate of interracial and interethnic marriages. The rate for black newlyweds has more than tripled since 1980 — from 5 percent to 18 percent. For white newlyweds, the rate has almost
tripped from 4 percent to 11 percent over the same period.

Interracial and interethnic marriages are more common among college-educated black and Latino newlyweds, but not among white or Asian newlyweds

While
educational level is not a major factor for white newlyweds, black and Latino newlyweds with at least a bachelor's degree are more likely to have a spouse of a different race or ethnicity than those with some college experience or less education. That educational gap is starkest among Latino newlyweds. As the authors of the Pew report, Gretchen Livingston and Anna Brown, write: "While almost half (46 percent) of Hispanic newlyweds with a bachelor's degree were intermarried in 2015, this share drops to (16 percent) for those with a high school diploma or less – a pattern driven partially, but not entirely, by the higher share of immigrants among the less educated."

But among Asian newlyweds, those with some college experience (39 percent) are more likely to marry someone of a different race or ethnicity than those with a bachelor's degree or higher (29 percent) or with a high school diploma or less (26 percent). "Asian newlyweds with some college are somewhat less likely to be immigrants, and this may contribute to the higher rates of intermarriage for this group," the Pew report suggests. But it also notes that this trend also holds true for Asian newlyweds who were not born in the U.S.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2017/05/18/528939766/five-fold-increase-in-interracial-marriages-50-years-after-they-became-legal.

Certain areas of the country, including in Hawaii (42%), Fayetteville, NC (30%), and areas of California and Florida (29%) have higher rates of inter-racial marriage, whereas other areas of the country, like Jackson, Mississippi and Asheville, NC have intermarriage rates similar to those rates that were more common in the 60s (3%). In addition, city dwellers are more apt to marry across races (18%) relative to people living in less urban areas (11%).

This article may not have any affect today to our generation even particularly in the depth of TN. But it will affect the future of human race world over, and it is comming to your part of the world as well.

Last edited:
The ones I know are children of school and college mates and a few relatives who went to US and canada in sixties and seventies.

Their children,as they are american citizens, many have married locals of different races-mostly latinos,mexicans .and some rare whites.Mostly in academic institutions

the youngsters come in contact with others not indian and marry .Recently one married a french academic in canada.The marriage was in india with our purohits

officiating.

There is an active thread about IC/IR marriage, mostly talking about TB group, that too from Tamil Nadu.
From my research, it looks like it is happening more and more.
Wonder whether Prasad Sir requested for its :lock1:!

The thread was active, no doubt, especially after Iyer Sir's entry! :roll:

I was away on a short vacation and found it with the Brahma's knot, when I returned! :(

Prasadji interest has shifted from IC/IR to inter race marriages.

The IC/IR thread opened old wounds of some who were at receiving end of hate .

Some got emotional .

Some get involved and take it personal [to the extent of leaving the forum as someone welcomed IC/IR.]

I hope the same does not happen with inter race marriage.

I found a white complain in social media about an indian mate who has being brainwashed by her relatives frequently to leave him and marry only indian.

He did not how to cope.'

Only other races find it difficult to live with indian.lol

Dear Krish Sir,

The I R marriages happening to Tambrahm girls and boys in the U S of A comes under the category of Inter Race weddings,

though we don't explicitly mention it. It is I R - Inter Religion / Inter Race! :D

BTW, it is a news to me that the I C, I R thread was THE reason for an active member to leave our forum!
dejection.png

Let us talk of pleasanter things.

Have you heard of buddymoon ?

Many youngsters are depending on old buddies [of school and college] for getting married.

They are disillusioned with arranged matches which break before or after engagement.

Many think old buddies alone can rescue them.They mary one of them

After marriage they go on buddymoon , yes you read correctly buddymoon.

They go with their married buddies on buddymoon accompanied by buddies who are married to exotic locations.!0 to fifteen pair of buddies and spouses go together

and celebrate non stop there.

This is new india.

Also most boys are bearded neatly trimmed utilising Axe or some such deodarants while their mates make fashion statement with weird hairdo and exotic perfumes -

french.

Dear Krish Sir,

The I R marriages happening to Tambrahm girls and boys in the U S of A comes under the category of Inter Race weddings,

though we don't explicitly mention it. It is I R - Inter Religion / Inter Race! :D

BTW, it is a news to me that the I C, I R thread was THE reason for an active member to leave our forum!
dejection.png
I got a PM to that effect.

I am glad that Ganesh is back! :)

This forum is addictive and it is NOT easy to :bolt: !!!

Let us NOT encourage I R weddings.

But, is it enough if we write here, where the youngster don't enter? :noidea:

Then the issue is how to attract youngsters to this forum.

Are we able to address the issues they are faced with in modern world?

We live in ivory towers of traditional thoughts ignoring practical concerns of everyday life they face.

They do not want sermons on religion and upanyasam .

They are living out a life which calls for fulfillment of career aspirations and needs of materialistic high living.

we have a member who says ' I am running away from this country after demonetisation and downturn' in another thread.

We are not able to convincingly answer him.

Why should youth come here?

We can only be casteist and preach renunciation of desires .

They want a more inclusive society and want freedom from outdated thinking and practices to do their own thing.

Can we be enablers instead of being blockers of any meaningful activity.

Last edited:
Dear Krish Sir,

Youngsters have umpteen contacts through WhatsApp, FB, LinkedIn and so on and so there is NO need for them to have

any discussion with seniors in our forum! They are free to decide their future and most of them don't pay heed even to

what their parents preach! That is modern life! :whistle:

Today I got a forwarded post by a tamil brahmin.

A well off parent had admitted his kid in veda patashala.

His reasoning.

These patashalas in addition to teaching of vedas follow CBSE syallabus for teaching other subjects.

With my money I can sponser and educate many kids here.

He says that by educating them here, he is ensuring that they will not desert him and his wife later in life because of sanskar they are taught and lack of materialism.

There are many strange people in our country.

I am reminded of novel 'Amma vandal' where a brahmin woman sends her son to vedic school to make amends for sins she has committed due to extra marital

relationship.Only TJR can write such novels.

Dear Krish Sir,

Youngsters have umpteen contacts through WhatsApp, FB, LinkedIn and so on and so there is NO need for them to have

any discussion with seniors in our forum! They are free to decide their future and most of them don't pay heed even to

what their parents preach! That is modern life! :whistle:
What do these social sites give which we cannot?

Have we ever tried cultivating them?

Youngsters unless find a thought convincing or useful will not get hooked to it.

We can understand their concerns and give honest response instead of ramming somethings down their throats.

I am an extremist. I try to outdo and out think so that what they say and do appears conservative.

This counter strategy works and opens communication channels.

We have not wasted our youth . We have outdone the modern kids in terms of excesses we have committed. So why get judgemental and get preachy.

Youngsters enter forum only if they need supports form our members for their love marriages or

search for some mantrAs, if they believe in some sort of parihAram.

We had one young lady who wanted no discrimination for women on 'those three days' but soon left forum. :sad:

Today I got a forwarded post by a tamil brahmin.

A well off parent had admitted his kid in veda patashala.

His reasoning.

These patashalas in addition to teaching of vedas follow CBSE syallabus for teaching other subjects.

With my money I can sponser and educate many kids here.

He says that by educating them here, he is ensuring that they will not desert him and his wife later in life because of sanskar they are taught and lack of materialism.

Really?

How is he so sure about the future?

I guess the person should just do his duty and not be too hopeful for anything.

Really?

How is he so sure about the future?

I guess the person should just do his duty and not be too hopeful for anything.

Yes Doctor, you said it. We cannot be sure of future results. It is not correct to expect what will be in the minds of our children after a decade of studies in Veda padasala.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back