• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us be tension-free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raji Ram

Tension!! This is the most frequently used word in each and every family - even by kids! :)

Let us analyze how to be tension-free.

Maintaining our sweet home is the basic step to this. There should be a place for each thing and each thing should be in its place.

Cool, right?

A few examples:

1. When the front door is opened using the key, the key should come back to its hook. Never ever keep in it in any other place

(especially using the left hand - my maid says it will be surely
forgotten!! ;) )

2. News paper should be folded and kept in its rack, of course after going through it! The papers will be date-wise. If some special

news appears, 'mark' it in the front page in BOLD letters. It will
help a search much easier. This was my dad's habit, which we all

follow till date. :cool:

3. Dried cloths should be folded and kept in almirahs - different garments should have assigned places.

4. After cutting vegetables / fruits, the peels should go directly to the garbage can and never left on the table - to be cleaned later!

5. Dusting furniture and windows - daily; vacuum cleaning / removing cobwebs on the walls - once a week.

6. Cleaning bathrooms and wash basins - daily; 'Harpic' cleaning twice a week.

The list will go on and on. So, Friends, please share your views here. :typing:

Good suggestions R R ji. Initially form the title, I thought you are suggesting something to keep tension free atmosphere in the forum! Good effort. keep going..

Tension!! This is the most frequently used word in each and every family - even by kids! :)

Maintaining our sweet home is the basic step to this. There should be a place for each thing and each thing should be in its place.

Cool, right?

A few examples:

1. When the front door is opened using the key, the key should come back to its hook. Never ever keep in it in any other place

(especially using the left hand - my maid says it will be surely
forgotten!! ;) )

2. News paper should be folded and kept in its rack, of course after going through it! The papers will be date-wise. If some special

news appears, 'mark' it in the front page in BOLD letters. It will
help a search much easier. This was my dad's habit, which we all

follow till date. :cool:

3. Dried cloths should be folded and kept in almirahs - different garments should have assigned places.

4. After cutting vegetables / fruits, the peels should go directly to the garbage can and never left on the table - to be cleaned later!

5. Dusting furniture and windows - daily; vacuum cleaning / removing cobwebs on the walls - once a week.

6. Cleaning bathrooms and wash basins - daily; 'Harpic' cleaning twice a week.

The list will go on and on. So, Friends, please share your views here. :typing:

I totally hate folding clothes.
I use coat hangers for all type of clothes...much easier.

My contribution:

There is no way for mind to be tension-free. Once the mind is free of worries or concerns, it starts to plot new areas of garnering tension :)

I totally hate folding clothes.
I use coat hangers for all type of clothes...much easier.
Dear Renu,

A few of my friends have engaged a maid to fold their cloths. OMG! I was almost shocked!

We usually have godrej almirahs / wardrobes to store dresses. So, I never feel lazy to fold cloths.

Ram hangs all his shirts and pants in his wardrobe. I fold all other dresses and keep in the appointed places. :cool:

Dear Ganesh Sir and TBS Sir,

I gave a sort of naughty title, indeed. Tension free life starts from sweet home. If everything is in place, we don't have
to waste our precious time, searching for things! :fish2:

Once, we went for a betrothal ceremony in our relative's house. The illaththarasan mAmA came to me and requested me
to bring two A 4 size sheets! I was taken aback; told him politely, 'Sorry, I can't because this is NOT my house!' :peep:

Dear Ganesh Sir and TBS Sir,

I gave a sort of naughty title, indeed. Tension free life starts from sweet home. If everything is in place, we don't have
to waste our precious time, searching for things!
I think, no one can beat me here! In my marriage, my wife's parents just forgot to bring the Thali!! They started searching for it after the vritham was started and immediately remembered that it is safely kept infront of the Kuladaivam's Photo in their house which is more than an hours distance from the Mandapam and the keys were with the people in the Mandapam. Their neighbours were asked to breake in in to the house to get it from there to bring it to the mandapam in time.

Last edited:
Ganesh Sir! I can't stop laughing! :lol:

We also laugh now. I used to tease my wife " அன்னிக்கு அது கிடைக்காம இருந்திருந்தா நன் தப்பிச்சு இருப்பேன் " But now a days if we attend any marriage of close relatives we sincerely used to ensure that this mistake is not repeated there.

1. It was different in my son's wedding. Sambadhis kept on searching each and every bag, to locate the ring, which I had to gift

their son, after 'pori idal'. (I had asked them to buy the correct size so that the 'bill' could be settled on the wedding day). They

went on searching, till I suggested to open our gift dress packet. And .......... the ring WAS very much there. :)

2. My sister in law could NOT locate her house key and was tensed a lot, on her daughter's wedding day! She was searching inside

her handbag and swore that she kept it only in that. I grabbed that handbag and located the key inside the smallest zipped portion!

She hugged me, which she had never done before!! :hug:

3. In another niece's wedding, her cousin, who was keeping the bride's room key, forgot all about it and went out shopping, with his

friends. That was pre mobile phone time! Everyone waited for him to return and luckily he escaped 'dharma adi' from his mom! :D

Another learning is never withdraw huge cash...My BIL withdrew a huge cash from the Bank just 2 days before his daughter's wedding and was driving the car along with Son-in-law, with bag in the bonnet box...Suddenly he noticed that car was wobbling..There was a puncture...So both he & BIL wanted to call a local mechanic...But fortunately he remembered his bag & took that and went home in an auto..When SIL came with mechanic found that window glass was removed in the car..Obviously someone was following them to rob them..The tyre puncture was their handiwork when the car was parked in the Bank premises..Fortunately money was saved by a smart move by my BIL

Another learning is never withdraw huge cash...My BIL withdrew a huge cash from the Bank just 2 days before his daughter's wedding and was driving the car along with Son-in-law, with bag in the bonnet box...Suddenly he noticed that car was wobbling..There was a puncture...So both he & BIL wanted to call a local mechanic...But fortunately he remembered his bag & took that and went home in an auto..When SIL came with mechanic found that window glass was removed in the car..Obviously someone was following them to rob them..The tyre puncture was their handiwork when the car was parked in the Bank premises..Fortunately money was saved by a smart move by my BIL
hi

we have to careful and vigilant always..

Even if a short distance, it is better to take an auto than walk back home, if heavy cash is withdrawn or jewels taken from the locker.

One middle aged man lost huge money, when he was entering the wicket gate, with some difficulty, in our nearby colony! Wicked gate!! :sad:

A few kitchen tips! :)

Kitchen becomes almost like a war front, when extra items have to be prepared for neivEdhyam for SwAmi or food for for guests.

By developing a few 'good' habits, we can avoid this situation.

1. Odd jobs like scraping coconut, cutting vegetable could be done on the previous night. To keep the cut vegetable fresh, wash and

dry them before cutting; cut and wrap in a neat cloth; put into a plastic container/bag; store in the fridge. Cooking will be easy! :cool:

2. Keep cleaning any spills on the stove or slab while cooking. A sponge will be handy to clean the liquid spills. We can make three

such cleaning sponges by cutting one, which the painters use. If cleaning is postponed till ALL the cooking is done, it will be :ballchain: !

3. Slide two plates on the kitchen slab, right under the gas burner, to collect any spilled liquid. These plates are easier to clean

than the spill that stays on the slab, once cooking is over!

4. Keep a note pad and mark the items which are almost finished and remember to buy them the next time you go out! :thumb:

5. If you have to stand for a long period to prepare something, do stationary walk - especially the seniors, who get stiff knees

and feel like having a stone tied on each knee, by standing for a long time! :)

6. Clean the gas stove and kitchen slab before retiring to bed. It is true: 'Laziness begins with cobwebs and ends in iron chains!'

The smell of lemon keeps away ants. So, an easy way is to take two or three drops of vim gel (lemon smell) in a damp cloth, to wipe

the stove and slab, after regular cleaning is done. :cool:

7. It is a good idea to put labels on containers in the kitchen; it will be very easy to identify stuff, even for siblings who visit us!
8. Keep a packet of milk stored in the fridge always; even if the supply of milk is late, we can get the hot drink in the morning. :ranger:

9. There is no need to wait for the maid to clean small items like spoons, ladles and cups; we can do it and keep them in place.

10. On festival days, 'kOla mAvu' (grinding the soaked rice) could be prepared on the previous day and stored in the fridge. :)

A few kitchen tips! :)

Kitchen becomes almost like a war front, when extra items have to be prepared for neivEdhyam for SwAmi or food for for guests.

By developing a few 'good' habits, we can avoid this situation.

1. Odd jobs like scraping coconut, cutting vegetable could be done on the previous night. To keep the cut vegetable fresh, wash and

dry them before cutting; cut and wrap in a neat cloth; put into a plastic container/bag; store in the fridge. Cooking will be easy! :cool:

2. Keep cleaning any spills on the stove or slab while cooking. A sponge will be handy to clean the liquid spills. We can make three

such cleaning sponges by cutting one, which the painters use. If cleaning is postponed till ALL the cooking is done, it will be :ballchain: !

3. Slide two plates on the kitchen slab, right under the gas burner, to collect any spilled liquid. These plates are easier to clean

than the spill that stays on the slab, once cooking is over!

4. Keep a note pad and mark the items which are almost finished and remember to buy them the next time you go out! :thumb:

5. If you have to stand for a long period to prepare something, do stationary walk - especially the seniors, who get stiff knees

and feel like having a stone tied on each knee, by standing for a long time! :)
My wife says she has a simple solution for all these.."just get married". Your husband will either engage a good maid or take care of these things himself"

Lol...

Last edited:
My wife says she has a simple solution for all these.."just get married". Your husband will either engage a good maid or take care of these things himself" .....
;) Good; then the two posts can be copy pasted and sent to the concerned person! :typing:

First aid kit: This is to be maintained always, in all sweet homes. This kit should contain:

A thermometer, paracetamol tablets, anti-diarrhea tablets, Avomin, antihistamine tablets, pain balm,

a few band-aids of different sizes and cotton wool - periodically checked and replaced, as and when a

drug expires. This saves the trouble of rushing to a nearby medical shop, to get the needed items.

This medical kit should be taken for travel too. It helps us keep cool, when we are away from home. :)

First aid kit: This is to be maintained always, in all sweet homes. This kit should contain:

A thermometer, paracetamol tablets, anti-diarrhea tablets, Avomin, antihistamine tablets, pain balm,

a few band-aids of different sizes and cotton wool - periodically checked and replaced, as and when a

drug expires. This saves the trouble of rushing to a nearby medical shop, to get the needed items.

This medical kit should be taken for travel too. It helps us keep cool, when we are away from home. :)

:thumb:

Thank you, Ganesh Sir! :)

The next will be the permanent list I have with me, to check, when I plan to travel. :spy:

This will surely reduce the last minute tension. :cool:

1. Swami kAsu (I keep a certain amount in Swami's altar, before each trip); 2. Safe keep jewels and extra cash;

3. Toilet kit; 4. Medicine kit; 5. Tickets and i.d-s for local trips + passport for trips abroad; 6. Dresses; 7. Towel;

8; Hankies; 9. Cash and Jewels for the occasion; 10. Mobile + charger; 11. Camera + charger; 12. Gifts.

All these should be ready on the day prior to travel.

Check list before leaving the house:

Check if 1. Motor pump switch and 2. Gas connection are put off; 3. Windows and 4. Fridge door are closed.

Take drinking water bottle and some biscuits (this will help, if the train runs late by a few hours!!) :hungry:

Lock the house and secure the key in the hand bag! :peace:

1. Swami kAsu (I keep a certain amount in Swami's altar, before each trip); 2. Safe keep jewels and extra cash;

3. Toilet kit; 4. Medicine kit; 5. Tickets and i.d-s for local trips + passport for trips abroad; 6. Dresses; 7. Towel;

8; Hankies; 9. Cash and Jewels for the occasion; 10. Mobile + charger; 11. Camera + charger; 12. Gifts.

All these should be ready on the day prior to travel.

Check list before leaving the house:

Check if 1. Motor pump switch and 2. Gas connection are put off; 3. Windows and 4. Fridge door are closed.

Take drinking water bottle and some biscuits (this will help, if the train runs late by a few hours!!) :hungry:

Lock the house and secure the key in the hand bag! :peace:

Each time I used to travel far or to india...I hand over all personal documents..bank details and my Will to my parents to keep in case I dont make it back alive.

Easier to assume each trip could be our last and prepare stuff so that others dont have to run around looking for documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back