• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

regardig pooja room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respected Gopalan Sir,

If swAmi shelf is facing East, can we do the namaskAram East to West or ONLY towards North?

SAshtrAs might object to doing so.

But many of my relatives living in India decorate Swami room with lovely fake flowers! :)

SAshtrAs might object to doing so.

But many of my relatives living in India decorate Swami room with lovely fake flowers! :)
I think artificial flowers​ are okay for decoration so far as they are not used for poojai!!
In city's flats system people find it difficult to find seperate "Swami room" and in many house holds corners of kitchen or extended balcony houses make shift temple...

Can we use plastic flowers for pooja room idols and photos ? i am in canada

You have posted this thread in Ritual section, and I am not a traditionalist. So I really can not help you.
I have a basic question, I want you to think about it.
What is an Idol? What is pooja? Why do you do it?
The answer to your all questions in understanding some basic concepts.
Everyone in here can give you their opinion, but ultimately it is your decision. Hinduism is a vast ocean, you can pick and choose.

It is like walking into a giant Salad Bar. You choose what you want to eat. If you are vegetarian your choice will be different from a non-vegetarian. Similarly, a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, or a Christian may not choose the same things.

You need to spend some time and effort to come to your own conclusion. Please do not expect to be spoon fed, be an independent thinker.

Last edited:
Can we use plastic flowers for pooja room idols and photos ? i am in canada

Why not?
When we have made the Image of God into an idol made from various solid materials and also printed the Image of God on paper in various shades of the rainbow..so what is stopping us from using plastic flowers.

Why is it that the Image of God can be artificially man made but the flowers for pooja have to be real?

Where are we to search for the real image of God and offer Him real flowers?

Have we been able to find the flower to offer at the feet of God?
Have we found the door of His abode yet?
Or are we still wandering aimlessly?

Woh phool na ab tak chunn paayaa
Jo phool chadhaane hain tujhpar
Main tera dwaar na dhoond sakaa Hari
Bhatak rahaa hoon dagar dagar …

Last edited:
Why not?
When we have made the Image of God into an idol made from various solid materials and also printed the Image of God on paper in various shades of the rainbow..so what is stopping us from using plastic flowers.

Why is it that the Image of God can be artificially man made but the flowers for pooja have to be real?

Where are we to search for the real image of God and offer Him real flowers?

Have we been able to find the flower to offer at the feet of God?
Have we found the door of His abode yet?
Or are we still wandering aimlessly?

Woh phool na ab tak chunn paayaa
Jo phool chadhaane hain tujhpar
Main tera dwaar na dhoond sakaa Hari
Bhatak rahaa hoon dagar dagar …

What we think as best is the best. So any flower is okay as long as it is considered the most beautiful and fragrant flower.

In vaishnav sampradhaya any flower is considered suitable for offering to God as long as they do not hurt the hands of the bhakta-God will be displeased if the flowers hurt his bhaktas.

Kannappa Nayanar brought a mouthful of water to do abhishekam to Kalahastheeswarar. He offered the rabbits meat to God as naivedhyam and finally when there was blood oozing out of the eyes of God he pulled out his own eyes and pasted them on the God's face.

And don't we enjoy singing:

Tere narm baalon mein kaliyaan sajaake,
Tere shokku kathmon mein taarein sajaake,
Tuje raat din poojna chahthaa hun
wafa kar raha hun, wafa maangtha hun.

The kaliyaan here are the best in the world and tarein are those that come straight from the heavens.

The bhaava matters.

Last edited:
Prasad Sir,

I am confused so much thats the reason i have asked this question. I dont want to take own conclusion. i need to know exactly. if everyone take their own conclusion thats different. I am not expecting to spoon fed .

If anyone knows please let me know

Thanks
thamayanthi

hi this is Lakshminarasimhan Vaijayanthi we are looking for alliance for my eldest son L Devanathan A 33, Delhi Mgr in MNC PRIVATE DOB: 08.10.1983, born in chennai BBA, Six Sigma CCNA CCNP.

Dear Tamayanthi,

Please go ahead and decorate your poojA shelf with plastic flowers. If you don't get real flowers to do archanai to Swami,

you can use 'turmeric smeared rice'. (wash rice in water, drain immediately, rub a spoonful of turmeric, mix well and dry it)

For Devi poojA, you can use kungumam (
குங்குமம்) for archanai.

BTW, small silver flowers dipped in gold, are available in Chennai jewelry shops. My mom had 108 silver flowers to do the

ashtOthram archanai for Lord Shanmukha, on Karthigai nakshatram, every month.

Here is the image from Google:

DSC03758.JPG

Dear Tamayanthi,

Please go ahead and decorate your poojA shelf with plastic flowers. If you don't get real flowers to do archanai to Swami,

you can use 'turmeric smeared rice'. (wash rice in water, drain immediately, rub a spoonful of turmeric, mix well and dry it)

For Devi poojA, you can use kungumam (
குங்குமம்) for archanai.

BTW, small silver flowers dipped in gold, are available in Chennai jewelry shops. My mom had 108 silver flowers to do the

ashtOthram archanai for Lord Shanmukha, on Karthigai nakshatram, every month.

Here is the image from Google:

DSC03758.JPG

Wonderful and practical suggestion, and guilt free. A solution that can be used without introspection.
Thanks, RRji.

Dear Prasad Sir,

These swarna pushpams were my mom's favorites, while doing poojA.

These flowers are available without gold coating also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back