• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First Of All, Let Us Unite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just joined the TamilBrahmins.com. It is about time we had one and I commend Praveen for taking the effort to bring this up.

I have read most of the messages from different members. The one thing which stood up was that we STILL distinguish ourselves as IYERS or IYENGARS or whatever. People! if we are to fight a common enemy, first we have got to unite and forget our pettiness, sarcasm and insults against our own, infighting, etc., and think of us as a single entity - TAMIL BRAHMINS; period.

One member says that he has joined KeralaIyer.com. Why? Why do we have an Iyer Heritage website? Why can't we put them all under one roof? Srinivasan Ramanujam was an Iyenger; Sir C.V. Raman was an Iyer. Does it really matter? We must be proud that both of them (as well as thousands like them) are TAMIL BRAHMINS.

Please, people, from now on, let us stand united as one single voice TAMIL BRAHMINS. Forget those morons, the Tamil Brahmins Association.
You people keep referring to them but none of you have been able to contact them. In that case, I feel that they do not exist.

Let us spread the word among our Brahmin community about TamilBrahmins.com. Let us all get to work.

hi,silver fox!
welcome plz
there need no distinction between iyers and iyengars at the standard level but all these sub castes have therir own values and practices that thy have been following under different conditions to get alon with their routine works but it is a need that we differentiate ourselves onthis but at the higher place when it comes to helping and giving our hand inthe struglle we sure have to be united
thnk u

Let us stand United!

This is in reply to mythreyi. By any extent, I did not mean that one should abandon their own unique tradition/routines/heritage. However, do you really think that there is so much difference between an Iyer and Iyengar? I doubt that. In my family, there are several Iyer-Iyengar marriages (nephews and nieces) and it is gratifying to see such a wonderful integration of Brahmins.
Let us unite and at the same time celebrate each other's unique customs and traditions.

As it is we are such a small minority and if we divide further, then we would be a voiceless and powerless entity.

I think that this overall effort in getting people to bring one voice in itself is commendable. The unity will be gradual and the merging if the community deems it necessary will happen gradually too.

I have always wondered about something - not just today but this divide of sub-castes amongst Brahmins has existed for goodness knows how long and for as long as the divide has existed there have been efforts to bridge the gap by different people at different times. Yet the division seems to sustain. Is it possible that we move towards another method of integrating? How about letting people have their divisions and their respective practices they hold on to but asking them to come together on specific issues? After all we are not here to correct the world. People should choose to make whatever changes they feel are important. All we can do is create conditions for specific solutions to evolve to address specific problems.

Let us stand United!

Dear Brahmin friends:

I am afraid I might be giving a wrong message when I was talking about the divisions we have among us. I am not suggesting that we immediately abandon whatever we are comfortable with and join the bandwagon. I am merely submitting to you to just give it your consideration. After all, we are moving forward and are living in the 22nd Century!! Besides, I firmly believe this petty divisions is one of the reasons impeding our advancement. Please forgive me, but... do I sense some resistance to my suggestion? If you have valid points against it, please, by all means, go ahead and express it.

In any case, let me not rehash this subject. Let us move on to more important issues.

Thank you all for listening.

hi silverfox, i completely agree with you. The need of the hour is to stand together when the entire community is under attack. For too long our petty differences have divided us. Lets forget the past. I remember discussions in my house centering abt how a particular community of brahmins etc is dominating in temple proceedings. I hope at least our generation and the ones to follow will not be so.

hi,
we all mean what u want to say.but then correcting each and everyone under one practise is very difficult.sure we all do stand at the struggle level together
thnak u silver fox

Hi Mythreyi
I am sure you will agree with me that most of the time it is somewhat difficult to convey one's opinions thru written medium. Sometimes, what I think I am saying might be read in a completely different perspective by someone who reads it.
You mentioned about "correcting". I dont believe I ever mentioned about correcting someone or to change someone's unique tradition at all. All I was trying to say was that we don't need to quarrell among ourselves - Iyer vs. Iyengar; Vadama Iyer vs. Brahacharnam; Vadagalai Iyengar vs. Thengalai Iyengar....and so on and so forth.... you get the drift.
Instead of picking on each other, we should admire and celebrate the diversity that exists within all Brahmins. Let us not be clannish or narrow-minded. I know certain Brahmins of certain sub-division (I don't want to point fingers; it is not constructive) saying that they will not marry with another sub-division just because these people are better than them!! Can you imagine the state of mind of these people in this day and age?
No wonder the Brahmin community as a whole is suffering because of all these petty and silly stuff we carry on.
To sum up and to use a cliche': UNITED WE STAND; DIVIDED WE FALL.

Reply to Silverfox

Hi Silverfox and All,

I mentioned my joining to Keraiyers.com for the following purpose:

1) To give confidence that such web based intiative can really work and there are examples from our folk's itself.
2) To give information that such entity exist if there is any need to contact them.
3) To bring out the point that Tambrahm population is well spread across the country and outside.The real strength of the community can be exhbited only if it is united well withing even though it requires some loose coupling across various association.
4) Also, The association is called Keralaiyers as there are only Iyers in kerala or as far as I know atleast they constitue over 95% of tambrahm population.

Honestly I dont care if one is iyer or iyengar or if one hail from TN or from any other states.I also agree that there are enough intermarriage between the various subsects to have a sense of commoness.For example my mother is from TN while dad is from Kerala.

Anyways thanks for bringing it everybody's attention regarding these differences at the earlier stage itslef.I think we shld not worry about these sects within the community as it is not going to vanish immediately. Instead We have to learn to work withing this frame work.Maybe we should have well thought of constitution which clearly defines our values,mission etc...

Lastly, I think we should chart out a clear strategy on what we are going to achieve and how to achieve it. As a community of stragegist I think we will have the best of ideas.But the challenge will be to keep things as simple as possible and be united on whatever mission we set out. Being a community where female members are also equally educated and progressive we will have the advantage of working on 'Twin Engine'.

My purpose of joing this forumn is not to say bad things about any other community but to set things right for tambrahms in certain sphere's as I think we are being taken for a ride by certain other dominant organised groups in our country. Having said that I dont hate anybody and have friends across other caste and religions. Being born in Kerala I have seen how organised minorties within decades can change the social,political,cultural,economical landscape of the state in their favaour.I have seen with my own eyes how 1+1 instead of becoming 2 becomes 11. I have also seen that it is not rocket science to achieve it.The story is not different in other states as well!! I am hopeful that with some effort we can resist the slow marginalisation which is happening intentionally or unintentianally.

Ooops it is a long post..So stopping here..rest later..

Regards
Sankar

Reply to Silverfox

Hi Silverfox and All,

I mentioned my joining to Keraiyers.com for the following purpose:

1) To give confidence that such web based intiative can really work and there are examples from our folk's itself.
2) To give information that such entity exist if there is any need to contact them.
3) To bring out the point that Tambrahm population is well spread across the country and outside.The real strength of the community can be exhbited only if it is united well withing even though it requires some loose coupling across various association.
4) Also, The association is called Keralaiyers as there are only Iyers in kerala or as far as I know atleast they constitue over 95% of tambrahm population.

Honestly I dont care if one is iyer or iyengar or if one hail from TN or from any other states.I also agree that there are enough intermarriage between the various subsects to have a sense of commoness.For example my mother is from TN while dad is from Kerala.

Anyways thanks for bringing it everybody's attention regarding these differences at the earlier stage itslef.I think we shld not worry about these sects within the community as it is not going to vanish immediately. Instead We have to learn to work withing this frame work.Maybe we should have well thought of constitution which clearly defines our values,mission etc...

Lastly, I think we should chart out a clear strategy on what we are going to achieve and how to achieve it. As a community of stragegist I think we will have the best of ideas.But the challenge will be to keep things as simple as possible and be united on whatever mission we set out. Being a community where female members are also equally educated and progressive we will have the advantage of working on 'Twin Engine'.

My purpose of joing this forumn is not to say bad things about any other community but to set things right for tambrahms in certain sphere's as I think we are being taken for a ride by certain other dominant organised groups in our country. Having said that I dont hate anybody and have friends across other caste and religions. Being born in Kerala I have seen how organised minorties within decades can change the social,political,cultural,economical landscape of the state in their favaour.I have seen with my own eyes how 1+1 instead of becoming 2 becomes 11. I have also seen that it is not rocket science to achieve it.The story is not different in other states as well!! I am hopeful that with some effort we can resist the slow marginalisation which is happening intentionally or unintentianally.

Ooops it is a long post..So stopping here..rest later..

Regards
Sankar

Thank you, Sankar for your thoughts. Funny, you should mention about the constitution! I have already written to Praveen about our association having a Mission statement or Objectives and have suggested along the following lines:
This website was born out of necessity to protect the Brahmin interests because the Tamil Nadu Government has not only abandoned the Brahmins but it is doing everything to implicitly drive them out. This website is strictly for exchange of ideas, our heritage, advancement, and helping the needy in the Brahmin community. However, this website (or Association) will NOT engage in anything that brings disharmony among castes nor will it engage in stupid arguments about Brahmin vs. Non-Brahmin castes; (the TN government is doing that already!) We believe in equality of all castes within the Hindu Religion.

Friends, what do you think? You are welcome to take this apart, add/delete/change anything you deem fit. I hope Praveen is looking into this. Please send your comments to Praveen.

hi all,
silver fox
ur right!buthen these sort oof difference are in thhe blood of each and evry tamil brahmin.though our generation are more broad minded then our elders our elders dont seem to support us in any way.well anyway i appretiate ur thought
thank u

sure silver fox,
it is not disharmony among castes but i feel disharmony among brahmin casteto be precise!
thnk u
silverfox said:
Thank you, Sankar for your thoughts. Funny, you should mention about the constitution! I have already written to Praveen about our association having a Mission statement or Objectives and have suggested along the following lines:
This website was born out of necessity to protect the Brahmin interests because the Tamil Nadu Government has not only abandoned the Brahmins but it is doing everything to implicitly drive them out. This website is strictly for exchange of ideas, our heritage, advancement, and helping the needy in the Brahmin community. However, this website (or Association) will NOT engage in anything that brings disharmony among castes nor will it engage in stupid arguments about Brahmin vs. Non-Brahmin castes; (the TN government is doing that already!) We believe in equality of all castes within the Hindu Religion.

Friends, what do you think? You are welcome to take this apart, add/delete/change anything you deem fit. I hope Praveen is looking into this. Please send your comments to Praveen.

hi again,
it is not equatlity of all castes then there wuld never be the necesatiy to start a forum specilly for brahmins and their upliftement.i mean pravven wud have given a better name to the forum than tamilbrahmins.com
thank u

Mythreyi
I understand your views. However, I thought we should mention it in our Mission statement because the public should know that while the Association is for the benefit of Brahmins, it is purely cultural in nature; I want the Public to know that we are noble (even though we are being insulted, ridiculed and laughed at) and we will not bring ourselves to put down or insult other castes; of course, we believe in equality of all castes; (we have been blamed in the past by undesirable elements that we put down other castes, etc..) except this website is for the benefit of brahmins, who have become the abandoned children. I hope I am making sense.
Thank you for your help.

I feel to begin with we need to look into the following

1. Make sure brahmins outside of TN and also NRI's really understand the problems , many who have been brought up outside of TN do not even know the issues . It is important we gain thier support . Also it is important people look beyond their family issues , personal differences/bad experiences with other brahmins etc and contribute to the larger issues. We need to spread the word around

2. Have a concrete plan for providing more education to students of our community on career opportunites , scholarships etc within and outside of India . We should collect all info and publish in this website and also brahmin magazines

3. Have a resume data base by segregating based on qualification and put in this website , so that others can help/ hire / guide/coach/ fund them .Today I am in a position to help engg graduates in their final year but do not know whom to even help?I am sure there are lot of such people wanting to help but do not know who needs it

4. Create entraprauners , there are opportunites . We should as a community encourage people to spend money as much as possible with brahmins only so that their economic condition improves.

5. Use the brahmin magazines to spread awareness as many dont check internet/emails etc

6.Use one section in this website only for brahmins to advt their services/businesses

7.Provide soft skills trg and personality development trg for brahmin students , give free trg to poor among them . Lobby with brahmin trainers etc to give free slots as a social service. Work with brahmins who run schools etc to accomodate poor brahmin children atleast 3-4 in a class

8. Make sure we have a core group that covers the entire globe where brahmins are settled

9. Work with large corporate houses and encourage them to start education institutions on merit alone

10. If possible start technical and other trg institutes ourselves over a period of time

Balaji

Praveen, can we start putting successful brahmins/ business men list in this site somewhere and see we can ask them to help , sometimes they will if it is not much publicity

Balaji

Hi Subalaji

Great thoughts. First of all, our kudos to Praveen for all his efforts and time in puttting together this beautiful website. I am not sure how many of you know, but Praveen is extremely busy with other stuff. Therefore, it behooves us to pick up the ball and run with it. Praveen, I have taken the liberty of expressing some of my thoughts. Members are welcome to add their comments, too.

To begin with, we need a Mission/Objectives statement up front in the Home page. We also must have some disclaimers such as "this association is not responsible for the views of members.... and things like that". You guys could probably put it better. The association has to protect itself from unnecessary lawsuits and other harassments.
Then we should form a committee or two and assign members to the committees. I am almost biting my tongue when I mention "Committee"! You all must have heard all kinds of jokes about "Committees". Seriously, these committees once entrusted with certain tasks should get-together (in hyperspace) to meet, discuss and come up with recommendations.
This way, distance (myself living in the USA) shouldn't be a factor.

Praveen, I am ready to volunteer in any capacity to serve the whole Brahmin community; just say the word.
Let us get going! I would love to see our ladies also taking an active part in our association.

Last edited:
Dear All,

Let us the example of orgnanisations which manages to have its branches all over world with out any formal comminication and like jews.

We a jew would go to another jew shop by walking a kilometre more than to just mend is shoes or get his keys cut. So that should be the attitude. Creating an organisation and trusting ******* to do wonders is not possible immdlty, so lets us take this vow in every brahmins heart

even you want to dispose you cloths( old torn and sticthed one) or old bata chappal please try to give it to another brahmin who is in need. If you cannot find a brahmin then to any body is ok. But think of brahmin first.

Start thinking about this from this moment!!!!
Coments welcome

i have added a list of things to do here
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=101

feel free to add to that list and i shall go through it and let know of my views on it :)

can we start putting successful brahmins/ business men list in this site somewhere and see we can ask them to help , sometimes they will if it is not much publicity

i do not see why not... one of us can start a new topic and add the names in it and then when we have a meeting in person we can formulate a strategy on how we can go about it :)

as silverfox mentioned, time is something which is a constraint on my part. i dont want to get into a lot of details on it, but i should be able to sort it out ;). i make it a point to read all the messages even if i am not able to reply to all.

I am ready to volunteer in any capacity to serve the whole Brahmin community; just say the word.
Beautiful! :)
i will mail you sometime today.

Can we first try to get as many volunteers as possible and roghly assign what tasks they will be engaged with . We need minimum 2-3 in every major country , more is welcome. We need from Gulf, USA, canada , Singapore , as many cities in TN, Blore, Bombay, Hyderabad, Calcutta , New Delhi , Australia . This core group can spread awareness and make more volunteers
Need volunteers to identify themselves . Thodi has already replied he can be one in USA. Praveen can u make arrangements for the resume database

Can we request all members of this site to go thru this site well atelast once a week and contribute in whatever way they can

Hi Balaji

I would like to be a volunteer from the US. Praveen, Please include me in your list. For information, I live in the Eastern United States (Metropolitan Washington area) Washington DC, the capital!
Thanks!

Ok. I will volunteer myself from USA too. Why dont I start a kind of informal volunteer committee from US ? Silverfox, if you let me know an email id or phone number to contact, I will get in touch with you Or you can send a personal message to me. Probably Balaji/Praveen can coordinate the chennai based one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back