• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

MOST HATED NUMBERS 666 and 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
banglow_no_666_1324635246.jpg

By London Swaminathan

(contact [email protected] or [email protected])

Christians believe numbers 666 and 13 are unlucky numbers. Hindus consider No 13 as impure. There are some stories behind it. The Book of Revelation (13:16-18) in the Bible mention 666 as the number of the beast. When the US President Reagan moved to California his house number was 666. You can guess what he di immediately. He changed his house number to 668.

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobiacs is the term for people who fear the number 666.Cna you pronounce the word? Don’t do it. 666 will catch you!

Mountain Bible College in Kentucky, USA was given a phone number with the prefix 666. They thought it may put off students joining the college due to the popular belief that it was the sign of the Devil. Immediately they applied for changing the number. When asked for an explanation, the Vice President of the college said, “True Christains will not accept the mark of the Beast”.

A Hindi Movie with the title Bungalow No666 was made in the 1990s. Crtics accused the film makes of plagiarising an English film Fright Night (1985)

Quote from the Book of Revelation (Bible)

16.And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17.And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18.Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

No 13—Dirty Number

Normal year has 12 months. But every third year one month is added in the lunar calendar. This is called Adhik Maas (extra month) or Mala Maas (Dirty month).
Indian calendar is based on lunar year, while the English calendar is based on solar year. This is the reason we have our festivals like Deepavali on different dates unlike Christmas. Hindu festivals based on solar movement such as Makar Shankaranti falls on the same date. Lunar means moon and solar means sun.
A lunar year has 354.372 days while a solar year has 365.2422 days. To adjust the solar and lunar years, the lunar calendar adds one extra month every third year which is called Purushottam Mass or Adhik Mass. This month is allocated for worship of God. Hindus don’t celebrate anything auspicious during this period.

The recitation of Srimat Bhagavatham or Bhagavad Gita during this month produces more benefits. Devi Bhagavatham says that charitable and meritorious acts and fasting etc., carried out during this period produce good results. Agni Purana (Chapter 175) gives a long list of things to do and things to avoid. Marriages or Upanayanam are not performed during this month and pilgrimages postponed.
Christians hate this number because Judas, who betrayed Jesus was his thirteenth disciple at the Last Supper.

Mayan Civilization of Central and South America also had some bad views about 13[SUP]th[/SUP] month.
Ancient Persians avoided staying home on 13th day of the Persian calendar (Sizdah Bedar) because this number means chaos according to their mythology.

In Norse mythology, the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] God Loki was believed to have engineered the murder of Balder and arrived at his funeral as the thirteenth guest. So a group of thirteen people would never assemble at a place.

Even today Christians in the West avoid No13 for their houses or naming 13 for a floor in a multi storied building. When it couples with a Friday, the day of crucifixion, they are scared more.
Sportsmen and sportswomen believe certain numbers are lucky. No 10 is given to the most important or popular player.

No 7 and No 3 are considered as holy numbers by several cultures, particularly, the Hindus. Vedic literature and Indus Valley Civilization have No7 and No3 on seals and books than any other numbers.

Please add one more superstition to your collection.
I am sure you are going to run out of days and time to do any action very shortly. There will be no good time in the calendar.
You already had all the Indian superstitions, now add the English, then the american, then the african, may be a sprinkling of African, may even add Aboriginal ones.
Just a joke. I am skeptic.

Just out of curiosity how does your children put up with all this mumbo jumbo you keep practicing. LOL

Out here in Malaysia Chinese are terrified of number 13.
cos 1+3 =4 and 4 in Mandarin sounds very much like the word Die!!LOL

Ok out here I sometimes get Chinese patients who even refuse the Registration Number given to them.
Once a man told me..the Registration Number you gave me is Inauspicious and I want another number.
I told him the numbers are generated by the Computer and I can't skip another number till this number is used.

He left the clinic cos he did not want to the inauspicious number!!

hi swamy sir,

Normal year has 12 months. But every third year one month is added in the lunar calendar. This is called Adhik Maas (extra month) or Mala Maas (Dirty month).

its not correct ....
adhik masa is called PURUSHOTAM MAAS...very auspicious for divine /religious activities....so this year adhik bhadrapada maasa....

Last edited:
Dear Prasad

My sons are also superstitious like most sportsmen who have come for Olympics to my city,London.
They also believe certain numbers or colour shirts are lucky!

Dear Renuka
Thanks for useful addition. I will add it when I write the article in Tamil.

Dear Tbs
Yes. It is Purushotham mass, good for Vishnu Puja. Hindus are very wise. They wont say much in negative. Whenever Subha karyams are avoided or to be avoided they will say you will get 100000 merits if you do PUJA at this time.

Take for example Grahana Kala (eclipse period), Markazi (december) or Adhik mass, they will ask you to do puja instead of saying DONT CELEBRATE VIVAH or UPANAYAN. It is the same message , but with a positive note. But nowadays we cant follow good or bad periods because of pressure.

In the past three days I received a number of calls from Samavedins in Britain, "Mama, thanks for sending us the Yajur Upakarama notice and sankalpam. Please remind me when Samaveda upakarma comes. I told them, It is already over. I will remind you next year!!!! so much pressure from modern life, London brahmins dont even know when is deepavali, what date is vinayaka chathurhy,

The least a tambram can do is perhaps say the sankalpa every day with varsham, masam, varam, titi and nakshtra from a panchangam. Many nonbrahmins in tamilnadu still refer to calendar by tamil month names and titi for day to day use. Even the farmers in doordarshan's agricultural programme refer to sowing and harvest with tamil calendar and generously sprinkle traditional practices followed - cow worship, its importance and use of natural products in agriculture.

Here in Maharashtra, virtually the entire hindu population (english educated middle class too) have given up meat.

Some scientists believe that prediction of onset of monsoon is better served if indian calendar systems are used.

Dear Prasad

My sons are also superstitious like most sportsmen who have come for Olympics to my city,London.
They also believe certain numbers or colour shirts are lucky!

Dear Renuka
Thanks for useful addition. I will add it when I write the article in Tamil.

Dear Tbs
Yes. It is Purushotham mass, good for Vishnu Puja. Hindus are very wise. They wont say much in negative. Whenever Subha karyams are avoided or to be avoided they will say you will get 100000 merits if you do PUJA at this time.

Take for example Grahana Kala (eclipse period), Markazi (december) or Adhik mass, they will ask you to do puja instead of saying DONT CELEBRATE VIVAH or UPANAYAN. It is the same message , but with a positive note. But nowadays we cant follow good or bad periods because of pressure.

In the past three days I received a number of calls from Samavedins in Britain, "Mama, thanks for sending us the Yajur Upakarama notice and sankalpam. Please remind me when Samaveda upakarma comes. I told them, It is already over. I will remind you next year!!!! so much pressure from modern life, London brahmins dont even know when is deepavali, what date is vinayaka chathurhy,

Just to refresh others memory let me say that the fear of number "13" is called triskaidekaphobia. But Hollywood is making lot of moola out of this number '666' and when and if a batsman gets out at '13', the bowler is benefited. One man's fear is another man's reward. As for me, when I was in school, I hated all the 1 to 0 numbers in maths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back