• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Need clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arsr

Namaskaram,

I need some clarification rgd visiting temples after the death of a family member ..

I notice a thread available on this subject, but am unable to pose any question there as the thread is closed ..

Anyway, my question is should all family members (including extended family members) refrain from visiting temples for a year, or is it only the son (who performs the rites) and other members of the same family ?

To be more specific, my periamma (my father's brother's wife) passed away a few months back(it's not yet a year) . Should I, being her niece refrain from visiting temples for a year ? I'd like to visit Manasarovar .. Would like to know, if it is ok to go ahead (as per sastras) -

Could anyone pl clarify -

Thanks​

பெரியம்மா மற்றும் பெரியப்பா உங்கள் கோத்திரத்தைச் சார்ந்தவர் என்பதால் அவர்களுக்கு தலைத்திவசம் (வருஷாப்தியம்) வரை தீர்த்த யாத்திரை செல்வது உகந்தது அல்ல.

ஆனால் இறந்தவர் வீட்டில் 13ம் நாள் கிரேக்கியம் பண்ணும்போது கோவிலுக்குச் செல்கிறோம்.

அதன் நோக்கம் அந்த ஒரு வருஷத்தில் எதாவது கோவிலுக்கு செல்லவேண்டிய சந்தர்ப்பம் வந்தால் செல்லலாம் என்பதே.

திருப்பதி,காசி,ராமேஸ்வரம்,ஹரித்வார்,ரிஷிகேஷ்,மான்சரோவர் போன்ற தீர்த்த யாத்திரைக்கு செல்லவேண்டாம் என்பதே உண்மை.ஆனால் உங்கள் வீட்டருகே உள்ள கோவிலுக்கு செல்ல தடை இல்லை.

Thank you for the clarification Sir -

I was told by some people that the only reason for not undertaking any yatra during 1 year period is that
the merit accrued because of the yatra would go to the departed soul, and not the individual who performs it.
If that is the reason, I wouldn't mind parting with the merit accrued. Just wanted to know if there is any
other reason over and above this - Thank you once again

visiting temples for one year

namaskaram,

Re your query, according to me, as per sastra if you are married you have gone to a different gothra in which case you can visit any temple within one year.

In case you are not married, you belong to the same gothra. hence you may refrain visiting kuladeivam temple and famous temples till the completion of one year and the first thevasam,

Thanks

Namaskaram,

I need some clarification rgd visiting temples after the death of a family member ..

I notice a thread available on this subject, but am unable to pose any question there as the thread is closed ..

Anyway, my question is should all family members (including extended family members) refrain from visiting temples for a year, or is it only the son (who performs the rites) and other members of the same family ?

To be more specific, my periamma (my father's brother's wife) passed away a few months back(it's not yet a year) . Should I, being her niece refrain from visiting temples for a year ? I'd like to visit Manasarovar .. Would like to know, if it is ok to go ahead (as per sastras) -

Could anyone pl clarify -

Thanks​
[/QUOTE]

I have two questions.
Why do you go to temple?
How strong are you to stand up to social pressure?

Where is the place where God is not there?
God does not shun you, why do you need to shun God?
If you go to temple for your mental peace, then please go.
In some parts of north India people go to temple after 10 days of death in the family. Mr. Subramanian gave you an escape clause. There are various other escape clauses are possible.
Here in the temple (USA) we have allowed "shok subha", where the bereaved family gather and console. I am sure in India that is not possible. South Indians opposed it, but being a mixed community we had to allow it. Even our priest found some escape clause for us.

You will hear various members voicing other opinions. If your immediate family will support you, then you can stand up to society.

You decide your priority and do what is convenient to you. In our religion there is no single moral police. The practices vary from family to family, and also changes from time to time. So find the courage, and you can always find a way to do it.
Have fun when you can, i wish you success.

Last edited:
Thank you Mr Subramanian for taking time to respond to my query -

Thank you Mr. Prasad for sharing your opinion -

Though I agree with most of what you say, I still think that one should abide by Sastras --

But I only want to know the meaning of what each ritual/custom/practice stands for, since we follow many customs blindly without knowing the true significance .

For instance, Kolam should be put only with rice flour .. this is in order to feed other creatures like ants, squirrels etc But to my knowledge, most people decorate their front yard with decorative kolams with limestone powder!(needless to say, it is inedible) They give more importance to the decorative aspect, and completely ignore the real significance attached to it. Likewise, there are lots of other examples like using plastic Bindi(pottu), plastic decorative maavalai at the front door etc ---

Anyway, sorry for digressing .. I would be happy if anyone in this forum could let me know the true significance of refraining from temple visits for a year(after the death of a family member/relative).

As I mentioned earlier, I was told that the punya/merit accrued would go to the departed soul and not to the individual who undertakes the yatra. If that is the true reason behind this practice, then I would not mind... As long as I don't accrue any papam/demerit , I have no issue in going ahead ..

It's unfortunate that our religion doesn't have any single authority(be it a book/or Acharya etc ) which clearly states the DOs and DONTs of our customs/practices with the significance attached to the same -

Thanks

There is no such rule in Hinduism that forces people to go to temple. But, temples by and large have a lot of positive energy in its atmosphere, because of the constant chanting of prayers and poojas being performed. Hence, a lot of people find a certain sense of peace when they are temples, which they don't sense when they are home.

So Going to Temples after the Demise of a Person from That Same Gothra is Done after 1 Year.

Read more: Why do Hindu people go to temples to worship their gods

தர்ம சாஸ்திரம் சொல்வது:

௧. சபிண்டர் முதலியவர்களின் ஜனனம் அல்லது மரணம் என்னும் நிமித்தத்தால்
ஏற்ப்படும் அசுத்தி ஆசௌசம் எனப்படும். அது ஜனநாசௌசம் மரண ஆசௌசம் என்று இரண்டாகும்.

௨. தானம், பிரதிக்ரகம், ஹோமம், அத்யயனம், பித்ரு கார்யம் இவைகள்
ஆசௌசத்தில் தவிர்க்கப்பட வேண்டும்.

௩. அக்னிஹோத்ரம் செய்யலாம்.

௪. சந்த்யாவந்தனம் செய்யலாம். மந்த்ரங்களை மனத்தால் மட்டுமே உச்சரிக்க வேண்டும். ப்ராணாயாமமந்த்ரங்களை மனதாலும் உச்சரிக்க கூடாது. அர்க்ய
தானத்தில் மட்டும் காயத்ரியை உச்சரிக்கலாம். ஜப் காலத்தில் 10 தடவை காயத்ரியை
உச்சரிக்கலாம்.

௫.ஔபாசன ஹோமத்தை அன்னியனால் செய்விக்கலாம்.

ஆசௌசிகன் தேவாலயத்தில் பிரவேசிக்க கூடாது.

தேவ பிம்பத்தை ச்பர்சித்தால் சம்ப்ரோக்ஷணம் செய்யவேண்டும்.

ஆசௌசிகன் ஒருவரையும் நமஸ்கரிக்க கூடாது.

ஆசௌசிகனுக்கு காம்ய உபவாசங்கள் கூடா.

ஆசௌசிகன் பூமியில் படுக்க வேண்டும். ஸ்திரீ சங்கம் கூடாது.

சுருக்கமாக கூறுவதானால் இவ்வளவுதான். உறவுமுறையை பொறுத்து அசூசம்
எத்தனை நாட்கள் என்பது மாறுபடும். இதை உங்கள் வாத்யாரிடம் கேட்டு
தெரிந்து கொள்ளவும்.

பித்ரு கார்யங்கள் செய்பவர்கள் பிரேத சப்தம் வருகின்ற சில மந்திரங்களை
சொல்வதால் அவர்கள் தேவதைகள் பிரதிஷட்டை செய்யப்பட்டுள்ள கோவில்களுக்கு
செல்லக்கூடாது. சபிண்டீகரணம் கழிந்தால் அவர்களும் செல்லலாம். சிலர்
சபிண்டீகரனத்தை வருஷம் முடிவில் செய்வதுண்டு. அவர்கள் அதுவரை கோவிலுக்கு போககூடாது தான்.

இதில் இன்னும் பல விஷயங்கள் உள்ளன. தவறு செய்து விட்டால் செய்ய வேண்டிய
பிராயச்சித்தங்களும் கூறப்பட்டுள்ளன. அறிந்தவர்களை அண்டி கேட்டு தெரிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டும்.

Thank you Sri T.S.S sir for your response -
As rightly pointed out by you, the temples do have a lot of positive energy, but I still don't understand why one should refrain from visiting for a period of 1 year - Thanks

Dear Mr. Prasad,

I have two questions.
Why do you go to temple?
How strong are you to stand up to social pressure?
Where is the place where God is not there?
God does not shun you, why do you need to shun God?
If you go to temple for your mental peace, then please go.

We go to temple because there is archavataara moorthi in the temple. Archai is also
considered an avatar in Hindu religion. God is supreme. But he comes down in various forms in order to bless the chetanas. The avatars are vuha avatar, vibhava avatar, antaryami and archai. Vasudeva, Sankarshana, prathyumna, anirudhdha are the vyuha avatars about which only the yogis know. Vibhava avatars are many like Ram, Krishna, Nrisimha, varaha etc etc., which belong to a yuga past. Archa avatar is the avatar for us. So if you want to pray to God go to temple. God is every where is just a statement like Oxygen is every where in this world. But in temple archa murthy you can see God and pray to him. You dont go to temple with a quid pro quo in mind. "I come to your temple so I should get this"-("this" can be peace, energy, riches, good health or any thing) should not be the motive for going to temple.

I think I have said enough.

Cheers.

Dear Mr. Prasad,

We go to temple because there is archavataara moorthi in the temple. Archai is also
considered an avatar in Hindu religion. God is supreme. But he comes down in various forms in order to bless the chetanas. The avatars are vuha avatar, vibhava avatar, antaryami and archai. Vasudeva, Sankarshana, prathyumna, anirudhdha are the vyuha avatars about which only the yogis know. Vibhava avatars are many like Ram, Krishna, Nrisimha, varaha etc etc., which belong to a yuga past. Archa avatar is the avatar for us. So if you want to pray to God go to temple. God is every where is just a statement like Oxygen is every where in this world. But in temple archa murthy you can see God and pray to him. You dont go to temple with a quid pro quo in mind. "I come to your temple so I should get this"-("this" can be peace, energy, riches, good health or any thing) should not be the motive for going to temple.

I think I have said enough.

Cheers.

Sir Raju ji,
We have our differences, and we will have it. I have no argument with you.
But I was responding to the original post as she said:
As I mentioned earlier, I was told that the punya/merit accrued would go to the departed soul and not to the individual who undertakes the yatra.

Going by your statement, should there be any bar on visiting temple? If there is who set it? and why?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back