• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dadikravinno akaarsham

Status
Not open for further replies.
20/6/12
My dear friends,
I saw the posting of Sri Vikram on this great mantra. No doubt Sri Vikram has given us a valuable annotation on this mantra, tho' he relies on the translations which have come from across the seas.
This is the mantra with which Punyahavachana Suktam starts. This again is an important mantra in the Sandhyavandanam.
I am sure my younger friends will benefit if they read my explanation on this superb mantra which is attached as a pdf file hereto.
May my Lord bless you all.

Attachments

• Dadhikravinno akaarsham.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,031
20/6/12
My dear friends,
I saw the posting of Sri Vikram on this great mantra. No doubt Sri Vikram has given us a valuable annotation on this mantra, tho' he relies on the translations which have come from across the seas.
This is the mantra with which Punyahavachana Suktam starts. This again is an important mantra in the Sandhyavandanam.
I am sure my younger friends will benefit if they read my explanation on this superb mantra which is attached as a pdf file hereto.
May my Lord bless you all.

Thank you Sri gsirsri for the nice pdf on one mantra. I would like you to study the comments of Indian authors on all the three suktas quoted by me and let us all know.

My dear Sri Vikram,
Can you kindly let me know where I can find the comments of Indian authors on all the three suktas quoted by you?
In this context I hasten to add this. Though possibly I should be more than 40 years older than you, I don't profess to be more learned. I posted my note just to share my understanding of this mantra which is very relevant to our day to day vaidika karmas.
Love.

My dear Sri Vikram,
Can you kindly let me know where I can find the comments of Indian authors on all the three suktas quoted by you?
In this context I hasten to add this. Though possibly I should be more than 40 years older than you, I don't profess to be more learned. I posted my note just to share my understanding of this mantra which is very relevant to our day to day vaidika karmas.
Love.

Dear Sri Gsirsri,
Pranams,
I wanted you to make known to us the translations of the Indian authors because I was not able to get them myself. I thought perhaps you have such books written by Indian authors. Even for Sayana's commentary, I had to rely on Wilson's translation because with my limited Sanskrit knowledge, I could not study Sayana directly.

Your explanation for the one mantra was no doubt excellent. If we could get such explanations for all the three suktas it would make a very rich contribution to this forum.

However I would like to point out two things which seemed strange to me. First it is dadhikravno not dadhikravinno.

The second is, the meaning given to dadhikra is far-fetched. No doubt, the last mantra says that he is everything. But we should not take that to be our licence to translate every object as meaning God. Sayana consistently says that dadhkra is a divine horse, though etymologically, as per Yaska, it can denote the horse-species. Since the latter appeals to the common sense and is in agreement with the general tone of the three suktas, I took the liberty to follow Yaska. Though I was helped by Griffith and Wilson, the foreign authors, the interpretation is fully mine and I am a 100% Indian. (Never possessed a passport).

By the way,How did you know my age?
Pranams again.

Dear Sri Gsirsri,
Pranams,
I wanted you to make known to us the translations of the Indian authors because I was not able to get them myself. I thought perhaps you have such books written by Indian authors. Even for Sayana's commentary, I had to rely on Wilson's translation because with my limited Sanskrit knowledge, I could not study Sayana directly.

Your explanation for the one mantra was no doubt excellent. If we could get such explanations for all the three suktas it would make a very rich contribution to this forum.

However I would like to point out two things which seemed strange to me. First it is dadhikravno not dadhikravinno.

The second is, the meaning given to dadhikra is far-fetched. No doubt, the last mantra says that he is everything. But we should not take that to be our licence to translate every object as meaning God. Sayana consistently says that dadhkra is a divine horse, though etymologically, as per Yaska, it can denote the horse-species. Since the latter appeals to the common sense and is in agreement with the general tone of the three suktas, I took the liberty to follow Yaska. Though I was helped by Griffith and Wilson, the foreign authors, the interpretation is fully mine and I am a 100% Indian. (Never possessed a passport).

By the way,How did you know my age?
Pranams again.

With all due respects to the scholar whose translation of Dadhikravanno akaarsham is furnished in the PDF attached to msg # 1, the translation is way off mark and is sort of made to fit the explanation which the translator wants to thrust upon.

DadhikravaN is the mythical horse who guides sun (who has forgotten) the way to the heavens. This is made further clearer by the usage of words "aSvasya vAjinaH" meaning the fast moving steed. The horse is referred to as the one born in dadhi (meaning curds) ocean.

As to why that particular mantra and "ApOhishtA" are mArjana mantras and why they are suraBhis (i.e. mouth/face purifying ones) one should go through the aSwamedha mantras, more particularly rg veda mantra 4.39.6 and 10.9.1-3 together with taittiriya yajurveda samhita mantra TS VII 4.19.1-12 as also Apastambha Srautha sutra XX.17.9 and Bodhayana Sutra XV.30.

As these are Aswamedha mantras and are controversial, I will not give explanation here. If you are not able to make out from the original mantras or sutras referred to above, you may PM me.

Suffice to say these mantras are supposed to be extremely powerful purificants.

namaste everyone.

Let me give below the translations of the dadhikrAvNNo mantra from three books written by our South Indian scholars (which books I happen to possess). The three books referred to here are:

BVK: The Sandhyavandanam by B.V.Kamesvara Aiyar in English
http://ia341221.us.archive.org/2/items/sandhyavandanam00aiyagoog/sandhyavandanam00aiyagoog.pdf

KNS: muvvedikaLin sandhyAvandanam by KaDalagkuDi Natesa SastrigaL
AVT: sandhyAvandanam published by Sri Vidyatirtha Foundation, Sringeri

Although the last two are Tamizh books, I have given the translations in English.

mantra

दधिक्राव्ण्णो अकारिषं जिष्णोरश्वस्य वाजिनः ।
सुरभि नो मुखाकरत्प्रण आयुँषि तारिषत् ॥

dadhikrAvNNo akAriShaM jiShNorashvasya vAjinaH |
surabhi no mukhAkaratpraNa Ayu~MShi tAriShat ||

BVK's translation

dadhikrAvnaH--of the God DadhikrAvan,
jiShNoH--victorious,
ashvasya--vyApakasya--pervading (all),
vAjinaH--vegarataH--of great speed (understand stutim--praise),
akAriSham--I make, naH--our,
mukhA--mukhAni--mouths i.e. the eyes and other senses,
surabhi--surabhini--fragrant,
karat--karotu--may he make,
naH--our,
AyumShi--life,
pratAriShat--may he lengthen.

I sing the praise of God DadhikrAvan, who is victorious, all-pervading, and who moves with great speed. May he make our mouths (and the senses) fragrant, and may he prolong our lives!

1. dadhikrAvan--This God is often mentioned in the Veda and is the subject of sUktas 38,39,40 of the fourth maNDala of the Rig Veda and the 44th sUkta of the 7th maNDala of the same. He seems to be described in these places as a kind of divine horse. Sometimes he is considered as a creation of heaven and earth, sometimes of Mitra and VaruNa, and is invoked in the morning with Agni, UShas and the Ashvins. Sir Monier Williams would derive the word from dadhi--curd (which he takes to represent dew) and kri--to scatter, in allusion to the rising sun spreading dew and hoarfrost like milk.

SAyaNa regards DadhikrAvan as a form of Agni. He says in his commentary (on RV 4.39.2): "Agni in the form of horse is called dadhikra; the equine form of Agni has been declared in the brAhmaNa thus: Agni, becoming a horse, pursued them."

Haradatta says: "A certain deity who receives oblations or Agni as others have it." Narayana Yatindra takes the term to denote "Him who pervades the Universe--the Supreme Being."

2. Whether it be Agni or SUrya (and both are regarded only as different forms of the same Divine Energy) that is represented in this hymn as jiShnoH--victorious, in his fight with the powers of darkness, as ashvasya--illuminating the universe with his bright rays, and as vAjinaH--moving with great speed in his triumphant procession, he is an apt emblem of heaven's perpetual King who dispels our ignorance, illuminates our heart with divine wisdom and flies to our succour on the wings of grace.

KNS's translation

dadhikrAvNaH--dadhi--things like curd fit for the homas,
krAvNaH--one who gets them,
jiShNoH--one who has the winning nature (and is full of nobility),
ashvasya--all-pervading,
vAjinaH--one who has annam--food, or one who moves fast, who is agni,
akAriSham--I adore him.
saH--that agni,
naH--our,
mukhA--important senses such as janendriya and karmendriya,
surabhi--make them fragrant, that is, fit to absorb things meant for them,
karat--should make.
naH--our,
AyumShi--lifetime,
pratAriShat--should increase.

Commentary:
divAgnirAdityaM rAtrAvAdityastam--in daytime Agni reaches SUrya; in the night SUrya reaches Agni: thus, may the deva called Agni who has received the energy of SUrya and is favourably inclined towards night, be pleased with my adoration and make my karmendriyas and jnAnendriyas absorb their things without being harmed in anyway, and give me long life so I can experience the things for a long time.

AVT's translation

dadhikrAvNNa--deva who likes curd, or things to be done for Agnideva,
akAriSham--I have done the karma to him.
jiShno--one who is victorious,
ashvasya--and all-pervading,
vAjinaH--one who has annam--food,
(sa devaH)--'that deva' should be added.
naH--our
mukhA--face
surabhi karat--make fragrant (giving us things such as camphor).
naH--our
AyumShi--lifetime
pratAriShat--increase.

One who is victorious, all-pervading, has annam in him, to that deva called DadhikrAvA or to Agni deva, I have done the karma meant for. May that deva by giving things such as camphor make our face be fragrant. May he also increase our lifetime.

Explanation:
dadhi means curd, krAmati means 'he reaches'. So dadhikrAvA means 'one who likes curd'. It is the name of a deva. Here for the term the meaning Agni is given. In the mantra naH due to saMskRuta sandhi, in the place 'praNa' became 'Na'.

The 'vaiShNava spin' to consider the deity of this mantra as VAmana is commented upon here:
Ramanuja List Archive: Of DadhikrAvan have I sung

Thus, whoever is the deity referred to in the mantra, it is clear that the deity also manifests as SUrya and Agni, inasmuch as SUryadeva moves switfly across the sky on a chariot driven by horses and VAmana is only him as referred to in the story narrated in shatapatha brAhmaNa 1.2.5.1.

My dear friends,
I started this thread to share my understanding at my advanced age, of the subject mantra so that my younger generations could benefit.
But, I am shocked & insulted to see a respected Senior Member feels I am twisting the import of the manthra & forcing my views on others.
Bhagawan Sri Sankara ordains, "budha janaih vaadah parityajyataam & dusstarkaat suviramyataam!" (बुध जनैः वादः परित्यज्यतां दुस्तर्कात् सुविरं यतां) So, I do not want to enter into a discourse to prove or disprove anything.
Accordingly, I have decided to refrain from participating in this forum any further.
Dear Sri Vikram, I felt that you shoud be of my son's age because of your loving response to my post. God bless you.
Let us now close this thread.
Love,
G.S.
24/6/12

My dear friends,
I started this thread to share my understanding at my advanced age, of the subject mantra so that my younger generations could benefit.
But, I am shocked & insulted to see a respected Senior Member feels I am twisting the import of the manthra & forcing my views on others.
Bhagawan Sri Sankara ordains, "budha janaih vaadah parityajyataam & dusstarkaat suviramyataam!" (बुध जनैः वादः परित्यज्यतां दुस्तर्कात् सुविरं यतां) So, I do not want to enter into a discourse to prove or disprove anything.
Accordingly, I have decided to refrain from participating in this forum any further.
Dear Sri Vikram, I felt that you shoud be of my son's age because of your loving response to my post. God bless you.
Let us now close this thread.
Love,
G.S.
24/6/12
Dear Sir,
I am sorry to have rubbed you at the wrong end. Actually I was provoked by your reference to my relying on sources across the seas. But for foreigner's efforts, we could not have preserved our Vedic knowledge.

However it does not mean that we should accept all that is said by them. That is what I have done by drawing my own inferences.

This forum needs the experience of people like you and I should not deprive the forum of your contributions. Please forgive and continue to post.

FYI- My name stands for the year I was born in.

Last edited:
Dear Sir,
But for foreigner's efforts, we could not have preserved our Vedic knowledge.
I presume you meant the free access and the documented form of the knowledge. Else I would be surprised that the efforts of many forefathers and Acharyas that have diligently handed this generation over generation which helped its preservation in it right form is being swept aside with ease.
I havent heard of any one consulting a foreigner about the correct pronunciation or recitation of any of these verses. I am eager to know if that is a case.

hi
when we talk of foreigners translations.....how many of us can understand of BHAMATI TEEKA OF SHANKARA BHASYAM OF BRAHMA SUTRA... even though its translation of brahma sutra bhashyam.....the translation itself very difficult to understand....so foriegners
translation helps....may not be the original understanding......sanskrit grammatical knowledge is very important to understand
the original text......

25/6/12
My dear Sri Vikram,
I did not say you said anything to rub me on the wrong side. In fact I thanked you saying because of your loving response to my post I felt you are like my son. Even if you are a Vikrama born, you are at least a decade younger to me.
Did you realise a strange thing in this thread which originated from your own research. Dadikravna & Vikrama are names rooted in the verb "क्र".
क्रमणं means crossing. Taithiriya Upanishad teaches that संक्रमणं of the अन्नमयादि कोशs is the way for ब्रह्म ज्ञानम्. அதனால்தான் பரப்ரம்மத்தை கடவுள் என்கிறோம். கட உள். अन्तर्मुख संक्रमणादेव ब्रह्ममाप्नुते
தங்கள் பெயர் தாங்கள் பிறந்த வருஷத்தின் பெயர் மட்டுமல்ல. அது மகா விஷ்ணுவின் 75, 76 வது விக்கிரம க்ரம: என்னும் நாமங்களிளிருந்து வந்ததாகும். மகாவிஷ்ணு வாமனனாக மூன்று உலகங்களையும் சங்க்ரமணம் செய்ததால்தான் விக்ரமனானான். அந்த மகாவிஷ்ணுவே असौ यो अवसर्पति निलग्रिवो विलोहितः என்று சூரியனாக தன் சிருஷ்டி யான பிரம்மாண்டத்த்தை क्रमणं செய்வதால் அந்த சூரிய நாராயணனையே क्राविण्णனென்று வேதம் சொல்கிறது.
I am happy to note the fine remarks of my friends. I shall continue later.
Love.

G.S.

Too tall a statement, sir, not tenable; and an insult to countless natives who have preserved and propagated all vedic and secular literature.
I agree that the vedas have been preserved by our ancestors for thousands of yeas. But when the westerners entered India, the Indian kingdoms fell one by one. Due to loss of royal patronage, Indian Vedic scholars were dwindling in number. Brahmins sought employments under British companies and Government. It was at that time, the western scholars took interest in Indology and systematically taught it in their universities. With much effort they brought out printed editions. of the vedic texts.All our modern commentators make use of their books, even to refute their points.

I presume you meant the free access and the documented form of the knowledge. Else I would be surprised that the efforts of many forefathers and Acharyas that have diligently handed this generation over generation which helped its preservation in it right form is being swept aside with ease.
I havent heard of any one consulting a foreigner about the correct pronunciation or recitation of any of these verses. I am eager to know if that is a case.
Yes. I mean the free access and documented form. Without this you and i could not have been discussing vedas. It would have been confined to a select few.

post7#
dear sri gsirsri ji !
namaskarams . i request you not get hurt by the discussion about your post .when a debate take place ,then only we are able to appreciate the real meaning as well as equivalent meaning .it make the reading interesting with different interpretations without deviateing from the main concept. please be sharing your knowledge.
pranam,
guruvayurappan

[h=4]Letters of Max Müller.[/h]“The Life and Letters of Friedrich Max Müller.” First published in 1902 (London and N.Y.). Reprint in 1976 (USA).

TO HIS WIFE, OXFORD, December 9, 1867.
“…I feel convinced, though I shall not live to see it, that this edition of mine and the translation of the Veda will hereafter tell to a great extent on the fate of India, and on the growth of millions of souls in that country. It is the root of their religion, and to show them what that root is, I feel sure, the only way of uprooting all that has sprung from it during the last 3,000 years.”​

These points also my be of interest:
1. The british in one stroke destroyed indigenous schools of all types by withdrawing recognition and denying grants.
2. Education was tuned to spreading english, producing administrators and spreading christianity, and devaluing native systems.
3. The indologists of those days got good grants from the king and the queen of england for the translation work.
4. It is a fallacy to say that without the translation and printing by the english rulers, our scriptures would not have survived, because most of our scriptures would have been printed with that emerging technology.
5. We have benefited by adopting english; but it is possible that we would have reached same or higher levels in tech education and lifestyle if we had stuck to our own systems. Many of the industrialised/ advanced countries (say germany or france or japan) have retained their native languages for all levels.
6. My belief is we would have been multi language proficient - mother tongue, samskrit, english and any indian language blossoming into a link language. English has in many ways restricted our language learning and communication capabilities.

I agree that the vedas have been preserved by our ancestors for thousands of yeas. But when the westerners entered India, the Indian kingdoms fell one by one. Due to loss of royal patronage, Indian Vedic scholars were dwindling in number. Brahmins sought employments under British companies and Government. It was at that time, the western scholars took interest in Indology and systematically taught it in their universities. With much effort they brought out printed editions. of the vedic texts.All our modern commentators make use of their books, even to refute their points.

namaste everyone.

I fully agree with all the six points shrI Sarang has made in post #16. I too feel that we would have adapted to the emerging technologies in our own way, and more importantly, would have better researched our ancient texts had there not been the imposition of English as a language of education.

Besides Max Mueller, it was the deliberate designs of TB Macaulay that made us what we are today, having given up Sanskrit. Mueller's design to print the sacred texts as well as Macaulay's design to lure the Brahmins to English education and government jobs was a two-pronged attack on brahmins to give up their sacred tradition of Vedic chanting. How many of us Tamilbrahmins today, especially the youth, even know our family veda-shAkha?

The decline in Vedic studies had started even before the British. The muslim rulers dispossessed native Rajas and spread Islam by force. Brahmins had lost royal patronage. Fearing total loss of vedic knowledge, Sayana documented the veda Bhashya, which was carried on orally till that time.

The decline in Vedic studies had started even before the British. The muslim rulers dispossessed native Rajas and spread Islam by force. Brahmins had lost royal patronage. Fearing total loss of vedic knowledge, Sayana documented the veda Bhashya, which was carried on orally till that time.

You are very correct. I can think of the following few reasons:

1. After the arrival of smriti-kArAs (like Bodhayana, Apasthamba, KAtyAyaA et all) sizeable portion of the BrahmaNas stopped learning even their Shaka in full. That is the first branching of SrautAs (those following shruti) and smArtas those following just their smritis.

2. The vedAanta propagators almost packed off the karma kAnda sections of the veda and concentrated and did tarkA and vAdA only on upaniSad portions.

3. The spread of vedic religions to new areas brought in assimilation of various groups and sanskrit dwindled to such an extent that almost nobody had sanskrit as mother tongue.

4. The decline of sanskrit knowledge resulted in enormous difficulty in understanding of archaic sanskrit (which is now termed as vedic sanskrit) and so many interpretations came for the same rk or yajus or saman that almost no two interpretations could agree.

5. This placed the vaidika community in a very disadvantageous position, especially when challenged by Buddhists, Jainas, islamist or british conquerors that no srautin or smarta engaged in debates and vedic religion was always represented by vedantins in such debates.

6. Some of the mantras are so explicit (for eg. Ashwamedha mantras, the first mantra of bruhad-aranyaka upanisad) etc. that it would have been very embarrasing for the father or the guru to explain the meaning to the shishyas. Resultantly only the mantra portion was mugged up by the veda pandits and the deriving of meaning or purpose or interpretation was left to the domain of mimamsakas, vyakaraNas etc. and available records do not indicate any meeting of these groups.

7. Royal patronage for upkeep and maintenance of the vedas declined, especially when kings or rulers chose to the easier mode of temple worship, puraNas etc. and resultantly the vaidikas had to shift over to other professions (like becoming teachers, becoming astrologers etc) leaving the vedas in limbo.

So what can be done to revive the vedas:

1. What has been lost in series of generations cannot be resurrected in one generation. First and foremost what is left has to be preserved and carried forward at least for a few generations more in the hope that with new technologies developing and new people taking interest in vedas will continue to explore the vedas and arrive at the true meaning of vedas.

2. There are so many institutions and organisations who conduct research etc. But almost every institution exclusively does not share its knowledge, except among its members.

3. The veda pandits who come up with varying interpretations should work together with each other and arrive at one correct and true interpretation. Their present system of offering varied and disparate meaning and interpretation is actually making mockery of sanskrit language which is supposed to be precise and concise.

4. The brahmanas who know a little bit of vedas (how so ever tiny it may be) should strive that at least their wards learn what ever is known to their father. This would go a long way in preventing the vedas being completely forgotton and referenced or searched only through google search.

Last edited:
Dear Friends,
Mr Zebra has made many illuminating points in his post #19 ante.
I would like to express some thoughts as a sequel to his & the othe learned members' valuable contributions in this thread.
I am sure the present generation(s) represented by the august members of this portal can remedy the decay that has set in as vividly underlined by Mr Z.
But I need another @10 days for this.
I hope that this thread will be allowed to continue without being closed.
Love.
G. Subrahmanian.
2/7/12

My dear & respected friends,
I could not come back on line due to indisposition. I shall resume with my next post brfore 10th inst. Love.
G.S.
6/9

My dear & respected friends, I’m sorry there has been a long gap after my last posting due to indisposition.The thread reached a spot which attracted the following & similar obsevations from members.(i) “But for foreigner's efforts, we could not have preserved our Vedic knowledge.”(ii) “...............the free access and the documented form of the knowledge. Else I would be surprised that the efforts of many fore fathers and Acharyas that have diligently handed this generation over generation which helped its preservation in it right form is being swept aside with ease.(iii) I havent heard of any one consulting a foreigner about the correct pronunciation or recitation of any of these verses. I am eager to know if that is a case.” (iv) “Besides Max Mueller, it was the deliberate designs of TB Macaulay that made us what we are today, having given up Sanskrit. Mueller's design to print the sacred texts as well as Macaulay's design to lure the Brahmins to English education and government jobs was a two-pronged attack on brahmins to give up their sacred tradition of Vedic chanting. How many of us Tamilbrahmins today, especially the youth, even know our family veda-shAkha?”When I see the erudition & understanding of Vedas, Sastras & Samskrutam I know I am just a worm in front of all of you inspite of that I may possibly be older than almost all of you. Still I feel eligible to speek with/among you because I am a Brahminn born & brought up in தமிழ்நாடு.Why do we need translations? Because we have difficulty in understanding the meaning of the words of vedas & sastras. Even a translation should therefore be bases onவேத பிரமாணம்.தர்மம், சாஸ்திரம், லௌகீகவாழ்க்கைசம்பந்தப்பட்டஎல்லாவற்றிற்கும்வேதமதான்பிரமாணம். அந்தபிரமாணத்தைஎப்படிதீர்மானிப்பது? அதற்கும்வேதமேபதில்சொல்லுகிறதअथयदितेकर्मविचिकित्सावावृत्तविचिकित्सावास्यात्, येतत्रब्राह्मणाःसंमर्शिनः, युक्ता, आयुक्ताः, अलूक्षास्युः, यथातेवर्तेरन, तथातत्रवर्तेताः| आथाभ्याख्यातेषु .......यथातेषुवर्तेरन, तथातेषुवर्तेताः|After saying this the Upanishad emphasises thus:एषआदेशः | एषउपदेश | एषावेदोपनिषत् | एतत्अनुशाशनम् ||A translator of Veda is actually a guru. Sri Sankara Bhagavtpada says, a guru should be उक्तसाधनसंपन्नःतत्त्वजिज्ञासुरात्मनः. In another thread I had the occasion to tell a young lady, “But let us remember one very important thing. वेदमाताspeaks in her own words. It is शब्दम्which is the रूपंin which formless परब्रह्मम्first projected creation. शब्दब्रह्मम्ç is ओंकारं which in its different forms takes the shape of संस्कृत& other languages. All Indian languages including Tamizh are nothing but local variations of Sanskrit. You do not worry about the punditry of so called scholars who profess to teach meanings of the Veda. With that, if you surrender to Mother Veda and recite her words repeatedly, She will reveal her meaning herself. The meaning she gives you for a partcular mantra need not be the same as she gives me for the same mantra. The mother may give milk to the child & idli dosa to her scool going daughter!” Being born in our punya bhoomi and lived in a vaidic environment one normally develops the charecteristics precribed viz ब्राह्मणत्व,विचरसंमर्शिनत्व,कर्मयुक्तं,अपरप्रयुक्ति,अलूक्षा (अक्रूरमति ), धर्मनिष्टा. वदोनित्यमधियतांतदुतितंकर्मस्वनुष्टीयताम्is how we live.(I am saying this because a learned member has commented earlier in this thread, “ the translation is way off mark and is sort of made to fit the explanation which the translator wants to thrust upon.” That was not fair because we are afterall sharing our learning and we should agree to allow everybody to express freely. If you do not agree, it’s ok. Saying one is thusting his opinion actually means the one who diagees wants only his opinion to prevail. Let us avoid this in this august forum.)One can never acquire this understanding of Vedas from a foreigner who cannot have any of the above mentioned qualities, leave alone reading his translations. To rely upon translations of the Vedas by foreingers who are outsiders not only to our land & culture but aelien also to vedic life & dharma is very difficult to accept. An illustration of this unacceptable situation is learning the meaning of Gayathri from a muslim or christian. Just compare them to Samkaras, Ramanujas, Madvacharyas, Vivekanandas, Sivanandas, Ramalingas, Tayumanavas, Tirumulars..... They can’t come any where near even the members of this forum, including my most respected friend whose remarks I have quoted above.IN THIS LIGHT I AM MAKING THIS SUGGESTION.Tamil Brahmins Portal can play a valuable role here.I see great men of knwledge, wisdom and maturity who are active members here. They should combine together. Take up the Vedas & Upanishads in a systemmatic order & post translations in simple readable Tamil as well as English. An outstanding model for this is late Sri Anna. Inspite of his great scholarship you can feel his hmmility & respect to other scholars.There should be no exhibition of puditry or superiority of sholarship. It should be for the pupose of inculcating Vedic knowledge in the minds of our children & their progeny. That & that only will make our mÉÑhrÉ pÉÔÍqÉ a global force.WITH THIS REQUEST I PROPOSE TO REST from THIS THREAD.Love.G.SubrahmanianSaturday, October 06, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back