• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Crime against women in Tamil Nadu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the crime reported against women in 2011 in Tamil Nadu, a State ruled by a woman:Rape: 677 cases (almost 2 a day)Molestation: 1 467 cases (4 a day)Sexual torture: 464 casesDowry deaths: 152Total crime cases against women: 6 510 (about 18 a day)Let us remember that this is only the number pertaining to reported cases. There could be thousands of unreported cases. So much so in a State where Bharathidasan sang, “One must have done great penance to be born a woman”.

The other side is that these crimes point out that economic independence alone can not guarantee justice to a woman. As one can guess, many of these crimes are not related to a woman's economic status.

Look at the crime reported against women in 2011 in Tamil Nadu, a State ruled by a woman:Rape: 677 cases (almost 2 a day)Molestation: 1 467 cases (4 a day)Sexual torture: 464 casesDowry deaths: 152Total crime cases against women: 6 510 (about 18 a day)Let us remember that this is only the number pertaining to reported cases. There could be thousands of unreported cases. So much so in a State where Bharathidasan sang, “One must have done great penance to be born a woman”.

The other side is that these crimes point out that economic independence alone can not guarantee justice to a woman. As one can guess, many of these crimes are not related to a woman's economic status.

A woman is still viewed a "just a woman" in the eyes of most men and even by woman themselves.

இன்றைக்கு இருக்கும் பெண்களில் (ஜாதி வித்தியாசமிலாமல்) ஏறக்குறய 100 க்கு 98 சதவீத பெண்கள் தங்களது மகனுக்கோ அல்லது மகளுக்கோ பெண் குழந்தைகள் பிறந்தால் வருத்தப்படுகின்றனர்.

ஆனால் ஆண்கள் தனது மகனுக்கோ,மகளுக்கோ எந்த குழந்தை பிறந்தாலும் பரவாயில்லை என்று நினைக்கின்றனர்.

அதன் விளைவு இன்றைக்கு ஆண்களைக் காட்டிலும் பெண்களின் எண்ணிக்கை குறைவாக உள்ளது.

இது சமுதாயத்தின் முதல் குறை....

படித்த பெண்களில் முக்கால்வாசிப்பேர் தனது தாயையோ,தகப்பனையோ,மாமியாரையோ,மாமனாரையோ மற்றும் பெற்றோரையொ மதிப்பதில்லை....

இது இரண்டாவது குறை...இதுபோல் பல குறைகள் இது போல் சமுக குற்றங்களுக்கு காரணமாகின்றது....

படித்த பெண்களில் முக்கால்வாசிப்பேர் தனது தாயையோ,தகப்பனையோ,மாமியாரையோ,மாமனாரையோ மற்றும் பெற்றோரையொ மதிப்பதில்லை....True,
Whether literate or not elders are not respected now a days.

The natural realities of human life and senses can not be ever ruled out. The only thing that makes the difference is the culture of the country/the society and Governance.

Developed western world reports fewer rape cases in comparison. I feel, it is so because, 1) Premarital sex is common as one of the needs, right from teen age and is done casually by both girls and boys, 2) Seldom girls need to falsely accuse a guy of raping her, though she had sex with mutual consent, in order to prove to her family and the society that she was overpowered to have sex with her and was raped. 3) Prostitution is legalized with all protection and justice to the industry and industry workers, 4) Discipline Governance and public/civil administration.

The case of India and most of the African countries are different, because -

1) India tries her best to be conservative society. That is, the people of India have not evolved much to match up with the western world (as per those people who support premarital sex and carnal activities right upon completion of 18 years of age, as grown up adult)

2) Over crowded poverty, goondaism, explaitation and powers of big wigs are facilitating rape to happen.

3) Prostitution industry and its workers are exploited by politicians and authorities to satisfy their whims and fantasies. They are raped any time even if they are out from the industry.

4) Filthy governance and public/civil administration.

Last edited:

Sri. Haridasa Siva, Greetings.

I am going by the numbers quoted by you; I am not considering the unreported cases. From the numbers you have quotated, I get a feeling in Tamil Nadu women are treated well. (I agree one crime against women is one toomany. But that is the ideal condition).

Total population of Tamil Nadu is over 72 million; Law and order is the best; corruption is quite high; floating population in every city is quite high. Considering all these factors, the crimes number quoted by you very low. If the numbers are true, that should make everyone in Tamil Nadu feel comfortable.

Cheers!

I do not know comparable statistics of other states, but in India women are treated shabbily, the cat calls, the lecherous looks, and unwanted contacts are horrible.
Our culture the boys are not controlled or educated to respect women. We might have Goddesses and women leaders but the plight of common women is horrendous.
The police and judges do not punish the perpetrators, even if caught they get off with mild rebuke. The society has to evolve and respect women.

There is a report in today's newspaper that in Unicef survey they have found that 53% boys find nothing wrong in beating a wife. And worse, more than 50% girls also finds it is ok! Well, the girls would not change that easily. They have a conviction to change others and all, but they will not change themselves. Beatings would only land you behind bars. Oh boys, grow up.

And then we have some politicians and/or policemen (it came out in a recent hidden camera instance) stating that women "invite troubles" by their conduct and attire.
Licence to kill?:faint:

"in India women are treated shabbily, the cat calls, the lecherous looks, and unwanted contacts are horrible."

I don't know what pleasure we derive in critisizing our boys and girls.

Come on---It is the pumping of hormones at adolescence.

=>Here in New York City Not a day passes in MTA busses where "atleast" 3 or 4 sets of High School boys and girls--the girl sitting on the lap of the boy and kissing each other non-stop for 10 minutes. --No Color Bar!!!---No body even winked their eyes.When i broached the subject with an elderly man,he saw me as if he was seeing a Zoo animal.He asked me "if they don't love in buses ,where else they would do.?!!!''--I continued "will it NOT affect their marraige prospects?"-- Pat came the reply "What?!!--what love has to do wth marriage ?"--I thought it was NOT wise to talk further.- (to be continued)

"in India women are treated shabbily, the cat calls, the lecherous looks, and unwanted contacts are horrible."

I don't know what pleasure we derive in critisizing our boys and girls.

Come on---It is the pumping of hormones at adolescence.

=>Here in New York City Not a day passes in MTA busses where "atleast" 3 or 4 sets of High School boys and girls--the girl sitting on the lap of the boy and kissing each other non-stop for 10 minutes. --No Color Bar!!!---No body even winked their eyes.When i broached the subject with an elderly man,he saw me as if he was seeing a Zoo animal.He asked me "if they don't love in buses ,where else they would do.?!!!''--I continued "will it NOT affect their marraige prospects?"-- Pat came the reply "What?!!--what love has to do wth marriage ?"--I thought it was NOT wise to talk further.- (to be continued)

No wonder our moral standards have gone down, with elders like why do we need to worry about our culture.

In 2009 July-September I came to Chennai--in the evenings I used to go to Madhya Kailash,very near to my house. I used to stand there and watch the crowd.A lot of boys and girls from Tidal park,Taramani Medical Institute,CPT,VHS used to gather there to get buses to various parts of Chennai. It was very heartening to see boys and girls in small groups used to chit-chat.They were all behaving very decently,except occasionally a girl patting a boy at his back etc--it was O.K.--I recapitulated mid1960s--My God!! in the same area Madhya Kailash,even office colleagues working in adjuscent tables wuld not even show that they know each other--in a matter of 40 years they havecme a long way--still well within the boundaries of 'Decency and Decorum".

As long as Intentions are clear Nothing will happen to moral standards.We Tamil Brahmins (*******) should "Give Up" that attitude of "Koopa Mandukam" =Kinatru Thavalai.

In 2009 July-September I came to Chennai--in the evenings I used to go to Madhya Kailash,very near to my house. I used to stand there and watch the crowd.A lot of boys and girls from Tidal park,Taramani Medical Institute,CPT,VHS used to gather there to get buses to various parts of Chennai. It was very heartening to see boys and girls in small groups used to chit-chat.They were all behaving very decently,except occasionally a girl patting a boy at his back etc--it was O.K.--I recapitulated mid1960s--My God!! in the same area Madhya Kailash,even office colleagues working in adjuscent tables wuld not even show that they know each other--in a matter of 40 years they havecme a long way--still well within the boundaries of 'Decency and Decorum".

As long as Intentions are clear Nothing will happen to moral standards.We Tamil Brahmins (*******) should "Give Up" that attitude of "Koopa Mandukam" =Kinatru Thavalai.

Mr. Somyaji,
You are missing the point of my statement all together. I am not talking about mutually accepted courtships.
It is crime when it is unwanted. You need to understand that the same act that you do, can be welcome and may also be unwelcome. If forced on unresponsive female it is a crime. If you read the original post was talking about crime against women.
What part of the word "CRIME" is not clear to you?

=>Here in New York City Not a day passes in MTA busses where "atleast" 3 or 4 sets of High School boys and girls--the girl sitting on the lap of the boy and kissing each other non-stop for 10 minutes. --No Color Bar!!!---No body even winked their eyes.When i broached the subject with an elderly man,he saw me as if he was seeing a Zoo animal.He asked me "if they don't love in buses ,where else they would do.?!!!''--I continued "will it NOT affect their marraige prospects?"-- Pat came the reply "What?!!--what love has to do with marriage ?"--I thought it was NOT wise to talk further.- (to be continued)

LOL!! the highlighted line surely hit spot on.I thought I was only creature who thought on those lines..that what love has to do with marriage?

Actually Love and marriage need not always go hand in hand.
Most people in a marriage after many years are actually having mutual respect and tolerance towards each other.
After many years of staying together as husband and wife..either people fight like cats and dogs(sorry cats and dogs don't fight these days) I mean fight like humans or get attached to each other.

Attachment need NOT always be becos of deep love.
Attachment can also be a requirement for the sustenance of life of one's self and also for the future of the children.

I realized today that I am very attached to my car.It's 13 years old and still runs well.
Its just a simple local car nothing fancy but I feel a bit uneasy to change my car cos I know I will miss my old car.
Can I say I am in love with my car?
No isn't it ? That's just attachment to something we are fond of.

So sometimes marriage is also like that..we are still fond and attached to the automobiles we married!!LOL
So don't confuse everything with Love.
Love is still very hard to define.

Last edited:
Actually I don't know why girls react so badly to cat calls and unwanted comments.
The best is to ignore it.
Guys who disturb girls beyond the acceptable limit are looking for response from girls.

It's always best to ignore even the worst comments cos we can never know the mental make up of such guys.
If girls start reacting angrily some guys take revenge too by splashing the faces of girls with acid.
Some guys have done it here.

Best is just ignore and walk off. I remember when I was in India ..one Sardar from an engineering college who has a habit of following girls with his bike followed me for almost 500 meters in broad daylight and was "Vroom Vrooming" his bike so everyone could see it.

I was not bothered cos I knew that guy just wanted someone to be his "victim" for the day.
He wanted to see fear in the eyes of girls.

He had done the same to my good friend a month before that and she reacted badly(she is from India and started running on the road crying)
She informed her boyfriend and her boyfriend confronted the Sardar and a tiff took place.

I don't like all fight scenes.So best thing is just ignore.I walked to each shop I wanted and the Sardar was waiting faithfully outside and continued his journey of following me till the door step of my hostel.

I was not scared even though people were looking.May be I was feeling a bit conscious but I thought Ok Sardar must have got a real K**D cos I didnt register fear on my face.

Sardar never bothered me again.

If girls start ignoring cat calls and comments from guys... guys will automatically stop misbehaving too.

BTW girls do like some attention from Males we fancy.It only becomes a problem when the attention is from a Male we really DON'T fancy.

Last edited:
The op is disturbing cos ,the basic reason for this problem and the reply for the op ,starts at home ,the way the boys are brought up,how the parents behave in front of the children ,the basics to be taught to the boy so as to respect his mother ,sister ,any relation of opposite gender to be respected. if these seeds are sown to the boys mind& heart at proper way,time ,later any man wont have problem even his higher offical ,subordinate ,team mate is a women .how a women is taught to behave in her in laws place ,like wise a boy should be taught how to behave & respect women from his childhood itself ,if not at later stages. a neglect child ,improper,culture less attitude parents of a child,over bullied child on later stages become victim ,and spoil the entire sociecty .parents with mutual understanding,lovable nature,without selfish attitude,and knowing social responsiblity can bring up wonderful children who are the future roots for the family & our nation.

I like what Dr Narayani wrote but I would also like to highlight that girls should also be taught to respect boys.
Nowadays in school I see that girls are the tyrants and even bully boys.
They some how gang up againts boys for every small thing and the teachers believe the girls more than boys.

I remember one case where a boy in my son's school found a water container belonging to a girl classmate.
Since it was closing time and everyone had gone home the boy took it home washed it and brought back to school next day for the girl.

The girl accused the boy of stealing it and trying to act innocent by claiming he found it.
Poor boy was accused of stealing and even the teachers believed the girl just becos she was a girl.

It's not fair also to let boys be the receiving end of girls too.

So both boys and girls should learn how to grow up mutually respecting each other.

Last edited:
There is a demand and possible acceptance form the legal and political fraternity to remove the 'minor' tag for both boys and girls and and to allow sexapades between consenting adolescent boys and girls provided the age difference is not more than five (to keep predatory oldies out).

I think, in a recent judgement, the act between consenting minors is not treated a s a crime.

There is a demand and possible acceptance form the legal and political fraternity to remove the 'minor' tag for both boys and girls and and to allow sexapades between consenting adolescent boys and girls provided the age difference is not more than five (to keep predatory oldies out).

I think, in a recent judgement, the act between consenting minors is not treated a s a crime.

It's already enforced in Israel.
I think its fair enough cos when there is consent of both minors why should the male alone be charged with Statutory Rape?It's not fair.
Either let both go free if there is consent or charge both boy and girl for underage sex.
It takes two to tango.

Love is still very hard to define.

No!!! Human to human love is not hard to define...

It just depends on a person's usage of the world "LOVE". Either in physical terms of fantasies with Lust or heart/emotion feelings of attractions, closeness and togetherness and mutually exchanging everything between one person for ever.

No!!! Human to human love is not hard to define...

It just depends on a person's usage of the world "LOVE". Either in physical terms of fantasies with Lust or heart/emotion feelings of attractions, closeness and togetherness and mutually exchanging everything between one person for ever.

See the possibilities?
It's almost like Ekam Sat Viprah Bahuda Vadanti!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back