• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ravana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, no! Lotus_quartz!
Are you trying to start something? Sorry! I am paranoid!

(just kidding!)
I have read that Ravana was a great Lord Shiva bhaktan. I love that song in Tamil "endru poi naalai vaarai ena ......."

Is it true that Ravana was a Brahmin? Further, is it true that he was a highly accomplished scholar?

Ravana was a brahmana. His father was the Rishi Vishrava and Kubera was his half-brother. His maternal lineage came from the rakshasas. He is described as a great scholar and a Shiva bhakta and is traditionally considered to be the author of the Shivatandava Stotra.

In killing Ravana, Sriramachandra is said to have incurred the three sins of killing a great scholar, a great hero and a great devotee.

I agree. According to some legends Rama got the Brahmahathi dosham by killing Ravana a brahmin. To get rid of it he installed the lingam at Rameswaram. But there are other legends that say Rameswaram lingam is suyambu.

BTW, beloved MK says Ravana was his kin and that the Ramayana is the story of Aryan aggression against Dravidians. In fact he and veeramani wanted to celebrate ravana jayanthi. Our Subramania samy immediately said he is so happy to see MK and Veeramani conducting a function honoring a brahmin. As expected MK & Veeramani quietly put the function plans in the back burner. But still MK keeps harping on "Ravana was a dravaidian" now and then.

Ramki
Ravana was a brahmana. His father was the Rishi Vishrava and Kubera was his half-brother. His maternal lineage came from the rakshasas. He is described as a great scholar and a Shiva bhakta and is traditionally considered to be the author of the Shivatandava Stotra.

In killing Ravana, Sriramachandra is said to have incurred the three sins of killing a great scholar, a great hero and a great devotee.

SIR - BRAMIN OR NON BRAHMIN, he was indeed a great veena vidwan & a scholar. but he committed the grave offence of usurping a women, knowing very well that she is the wife of another man. so he was punished accordingly. Lord Rama did not commit any offence in punishing ravana, IMHO.

Vibhisana

Thanks for clarifying the doubt in my mind.

Now, coming to Vibhisana.

An old saying in Hindi goes as "Ghar ka bhedi Lanka dhaaye" meaning, inhouse traitor leads to the fall of the mighty (Lankan) empire.

This saying suggests that Vibhisana is not to be admired or given any respect, for he betrayed his brother.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this ?

BTW, beloved MK says Ravana was his kin and that the Ramayana is the story of Aryan aggression against Dravidians. In fact he and veeramani wanted to celebrate ravana jayanthi. Our Subramania samy immediately said he is so happy to see MK and Veeramani conducting a function honoring a brahmin. As expected MK & Veeramani quietly put the function plans in the back burner. But still MK keeps harping on "Ravana was a dravaidian" now and then.

Ramki

I am surprised how beloved MK missed to see a connection between Ravana & DK founder.

Afterall EVR could be "Elangai Vendan Ravanan" P****** !!!!

Thanks for clarifying the doubt in my mind.

Now, coming to Vibhisana.

An old saying in Hindi goes as "Ghar ka bhedi Lanka dhaaye" meaning, inhouse traitor leads to the fall of the mighty (Lankan) empire.

This saying suggests that Vibhisana is not to be admired or given any respect, for he betrayed his brother.

Any thoughts on this?

Vibhishana is actually considered to be one of the mahajana-s. If I am not mistaken, we find his name in the Bhagavata (in this regard). His devotion to Vishnu outweighed trifles like loyalty to king and all that. As to the "old saying" in hindi, I have no clue because you didn't mention the source. Is it an NI recension of Ramayana? Normally, we don't accept any version of ramayana, not even valmiki's, cuz the only genuine ramayana is mula ramayana. Hope this helps. Ramayana is a treasure to be preserved and worshipped, not just "any book" to be read and analyzed.

SIR - BRAMIN OR NON BRAHMIN, he was indeed a great veena vidwan & a scholar. but he committed the grave offence of usurping a women, knowing very well that she is the wife of another man. so he was punished accordingly. Lord Rama did not commit any offence in punishing ravana, IMHO.

The scriptures hold that Vedas must be preserved and thus the killing of a vedavit was considered a grave offence(in the days of Srirama). Srirama, as Bhagavat avatara, was above punya and paapa. However, as maryada purusha, he might have wanted to set an example. Though his action against Ravana was as per dharma the world had nonetheless lost a towering figure. Therefore his prayaschitta. It is more an indication of Rama's respect for dharma and lack of vindictiveness towards a man who meant him harm than about any absolute right or wrong in relation to Ravana's death. This is just my opinion.

sir - vibishana did not betray ravana. he openly said to ravana that usurping the wife of another man was immoral and pleaded with him many times to handover sita to Lord Rama. but ravana refused to respect his brother's sentiments. left with no choice, vibishana joined rama. so it was ravana who betrayed visbishana , and not the other way round. (when you openly express your views to a person how can it be called betrayal? betrayal means acting as a friend and then stabbing a person in the back when the fellow does not expect you to do that)

Agreed. Good argument.

sir - vibishana did not betray ravana. he openly said to ravana that usurping the wife of another man was immoral and pleaded with him many times to handover sita to Lord Rama. but ravana refused to respect his brother's sentiments. left with no choice, vibishana joined rama. so it was ravana who betrayed visbishana , and not the other way round. (when you openly express your views to a person how can it be called betrayal? betrayal means acting as a friend and then stabbing a person in the back when the fellow does not expect you to do that)

Dear Suresh (NARAS):
I like your debating skills. I am sure you are a learned man. Please continue to enlighten us.
I miss your political comments on TN and MK!!

Hilarious

Ha ha ha! The part about MK and Veeramani wanting to celebrate Ravana Jayanthi and the sudden withdrawal after a moment of 'enlightenment' by a Brahmin (sorry couldn't help that one) - really funny!

I agree. According to some legends Rama got the Brahmahathi dosham by killing Ravana a brahmin. To get rid of it he installed the lingam at Rameswaram. But there are other legends that say Rameswaram lingam is suyambu.

Ramki

Quick Tips

I think a compilation of quick tips against the standard anti-Brahmana arguments should include this gem. I had heard about this before. Subhramanya Swamy is a leader of the Janata Party if I am not mistaken. There needs to be an alliance of such people, including Cho, Swamy, Visu, SV Sekar and others among us who have the balls to say things as they are.

If a Brahmana alliance could be formed with such gentlemen, it would be very hard for the current political class to get away with making anti-Brahmana statements blindly. Also, they might help spread the message, bring in advertisements to support the community etc.

Ravana........

Ravana was a renowned NAADI SAASTRA expert and his work on the subject is one among the very few works in Ayurveda on Naadi Saastra. His work PAAKA DARPANAM is also popular and deals with Ayurvedic cooking and medicinal preparations.

Cheers,
Sangeetha.

Sri.R.Venktraman Sir ..Please write more on Ravana!!

The following is the writings of Sri.R.Venkatraman in our thread some time during June 06 and he promissed to write more:

From what i know: In olden days, both Brahmana and Kshatriya were the rulers. Both the race ruled.

King Visravasmuni is the elder son of 'Maharishi Pulasthi'.
Maharishi Pulasthi - should be a brahmin.

King Visravasmuni first married to Princes Illavila, the beautiful daughter of a Brahmin - hermit called Bharadwaja Magina gave birth to King Kuwera. Hence Kuwera is perfectly from a brahmin father and mother.

Later King Visravasmuni married Kesini, the beautiful daughter of Sumalin King of Asura so, king Visravasmuni had a group of children by his second marriage with Kesini. They were Rawana, Vibhishana, Kumbakarana Hema and Suparikha.

As Rawana born for a Brahmana Father he can be considered as Brahmana.
though King Rawana born to a Brahmin Father he had to grow with Asura vaasana! :)

Will try to give more details later...

Sri.R.V. sir it is now a very long time-off. Can you please give some time and tell us more about Ravana?

GURUMURTHYJI

We should really find out whether Ravana had a fair skin or a dark skin...
:)

Many Dravidians believe that and Aryans were fair skinned therefore they made the dark skinned their inferiors...

If brahmin means Aryan and non-brahmin non-aryan then I have a quotation for reading:

"The Dravidians were a non-Aryan race of Central Asia who preceded the Aryans, and those of Southern India were the most civilised. Women with them stood higher than men. They subsequently divided, some going to Egypt, others to Babylonia, and the rest remaining in India."-Sw.Vivekananda

Sir,
Yes, Ravana was a brahmin. He was a great Siva-baktha and pleased Lord
Siva by his sama-gaana. When Siva asked him what he wanted as a boon,
he persuaded Lord Siva to give him the Atma-Linga. He took it and flew to
Lanka. Because he would become invincible with the Atma-Linga, the Devas
requested Lord Ganesa to intervene and see that the Atmalinga did not reach
Lanka.
At the time of giving the Atmalinga, Siva told him to take it directly to his
place without keeping it anywhere enroute. But Lord Ganesa tricked him to
keep it on the shores of Arabian Sea at Ghokarnam. However much he tried,
Ravana could not lift it from the ground. This Ghokarneswaram temple is a
holy place near Karwar ( Karnataka ).

Coveting another man's wife is a grave sin. Ravana met his downfall due to
this . He represented asuric qualities like kama, krodha etc. The lesson is that
we must avoid falling a prey to these asuric qualities.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Ranganathan,
Further to your post on Ravana, I wish to add a few lines about him. Ravana was the son of the Brahmin Sage Visravas and grand son of Sage Pulastya Prajapati .who in turn was the mind born son of Brahma. Maharishi Agastya Muni was the brother of Sage Visravas. Ravana's mother Princess Kaikesi was the daughter of the Chief of Daithya clan. Thus Ravana was the son of Brahmin. At birth Ravana was given the name of Dashanana or Dasagriva, since he was to have the mental strength of ten people. He was an exemplary scholer and mastered all the Vedas and Sastras under his father. He was a great Veena player. He was a Samavedin. He was an ardent devotee of Lord Siva and known for his Siva Tandava. Due to this only he was called Ravana by none else than the Lord.

Ravana had several wives but foremost among them was Queen Mandodari daughter of Maya.
She was known for her beauty, grace and chastity.

There is an interesting anectode about one class of Brahmins known as "Saryuparin Brahmins" in North India. When Lord Rama returned to Ayodhya after his victory in Lanka, he wanted to perform "Aswamedha Yagna". For this purpose he invited the local Brahmins to perform the yagna. But they refused the offer since Rama did the sin of Brahma-hatya by killing Ravana, the son of a Brahmin. However some Brahmin families acceped the request of Lord Rama and performed the Yagna. For which they got Lands and wealth at the other side of River Sarayu. Thus the descendants of these families are called "Sarayupari Brahmins" even today. These Brahmins are also called "Kanyakubja Brahmins". Their families spread over many places in UP and Madya Pradeash.

One of the famous persons belonging to the "Kanyakubja Brahmins" sect is Sri Atal Behari Vajapayeeji.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
swami - shonar deshay guru

If brahmin means Aryan and non-brahmin non-aryan then I have a quotation for reading:

"The Dravidians were a non-Aryan race of Central Asia who preceded the Aryans, and those of Southern India were the most civilised. Women with them stood higher than men. They subsequently divided, some going to Egypt, others to Babylonia, and the rest remaining in India."-Sw.Vivekananda

Shri Hariharas

Swami Vivekananda was also a meat eater.Dravidians are actually settlers from Africa.Maybe a DNA haplogrouping will prove that,hopefully.In fact in my opinion all human beings originated from Africa and migrations took place either forcibly or volunteerly.

sb

Shri Hariharas

Swami Vivekananda was also a meat eater.Dravidians are actually settlers from Africa.Maybe a DNA haplogrouping will prove that,hopefully.In fact in my opinion all human beings originated from Africa and migrations took place either forcibly or volunteerly.

sb

Dear S Bala-ji,

All dravidians need not be from Africa. They wud also be asian in origin. The Central-Asia origin angle quoted by Hariharan also holds true, just that they wud be 'aryan' but not 'vedic-aryan' i suppose. Dravidian is just a linguistic term, not a genetic term. All humans need not have originated in Africa. The multi-regional model is gaining precedence in current times. There are very many reasons for migrations, the end point being the search for the better life - which is exactly the reason why we migrate in the present times as well.

Regards.

With all respects to Swamiji and being his devotee, I have to admit that he was not free from Bengali prejudices/preconceived notions. I have been trying to get rid of Tamil Brahmin prejudices/preconceived notions for the last 40 years.

According to a book on Races in Bengal (a doctoral thesis) majority of the population in Bengal are Dravidians. Try telling that to Kalaignar.

According to the Zee TV serial Ravan, Ravana had actually commissioned the composition and complilation of what we know as Krishna Yajurved. Apparently he was harassing the sages to follow Krishna Yajur and if they did not, he wud do things like ravage and destroy an ashram and kidnap the women until the sages complied.

Sri-N-ji, Could you please throw more light on this. Is the association b/w Krishna Yajur and Ravana correct? And why was he hell bent on ensuring Shiva worship as per the Krishna Yajur only?

Also found this very interesting link abt his ancestry: http://www.hindubooks.org/david_frawley/arjuna/ancestry_of_ravana/page2.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back