• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

state of the dikshitas in chidambaram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear that the dikshitas of chidambaram are not in good economic condition and modern education is not widely utilized in their community. Is that true?

How can we help them in getting modern education and other opportunities?

Will they like it? WIll they find it beneficial or not?

Anyone from chidambaram/ mayavaram/tanjore area can let us know?

Thoughts welcome..

Please enlighten me. Who are dikshitas? What is their normal vocation/occupation?

I hear that the dikshitas of chidambaram are not in good economic condition and modern education is not widely utilized in their community. Is that true?

How can we help them in getting modern education and other opportunities?

Will they like it? WIll they find it beneficial or not?

Anyone from chidambaram/ mayavaram/tanjore area can let us know?

Thoughts welcome..

Dear lotus_quartz Ji,

If my memory serves me correctly, the Dikshidhars of Chidambaram came from the North (I don't remember whether from Kashi or Kashmir), just to be the priests at the temple. They are a small community, not allowed to marry outside and by tradition are the custodians of the temple.

They have won a Supreme Court judgement against the TN Government who wanted to take this temple in to the HRCE governance. So, they are fully responsible for the upkeep of the temple.

If you vist the temple, you would not think that this is one of the seminal and greatest abode of Shiva in all of India. The temple is in a dilapidated condition and the tank 'Sivaganga' where a Napalese Prince wahed away his leprosy is now liable to give that disease to you if you dip your toes in its waters.

This is where the mudras of Bharat Natyam originated from (please correct me if I am wrong) and I am extremely sorry to say that the Dhikshithars probably shoulder the majority of the blame for keeping this temple in such a bad way.

Folks, who know different, please correct me if I am wrong.

Pranams,
KRS

Dear lotus_quartz Ji,
If my memory serves me correctly, the Dikshidhars of Chidambaram came from the North (I don't remember whether from Kashi or Kashmir), just to be the priests at the temple.

You may be right.

In north, Dixit surname among brahmin castes does exist.

Dixit Brahmins are found in Rajasthan, UP, MP etc.

I had some friends and class mates from Dixit brahmins though in North, the profession/ occupation of Dixits is not specifically to mind or look after temples.

sir= this is not a temple flush with funds, even though it is not controlled by 'rationalists'. so i do not think the Dikshithars should be blamed for the present sorry state of affairs.

Dear Naras Ji,

The problem here is not about 'funds'. If the Dhikshithars put out a clarion call out there to collect the funds from the Shaivites from around the Globe, they will receive that. I do not understand why they are not advertising their plight for the lack of funds! There is some weird internal politics going on.

Pranams,
KRS

I had been recently to Chidambaram ( my first ever visit ) and I was sadly disappointed.

The dikshitar who took us around told us they are the direct descendants and hence only they are allowed to perform the pujas.

As in most of the temples, they evaluate what you are worth and the "fee" for performing a particular pooja depends on that !!!

The temple is so beautiful.. wish the government would do something more about it .

But as far as I could see, they didnt seem to be in any deep financial distress .

Ofcourse this is my personal opinion and hope it hasnt offended anybody\

Folks,

The Tanjore Shiva temple is recognized as a World Heritage site by UN and it is kept up quite nicely with funds from UN. I wonder whether any of you know if Chidambaram temple has been put up as a candidate?

Pranams,
KRS

sir = the dikshithars consider themselves as slaves, servants & guardians of chidambaram temple. they do not say they are 'owners'. so to paste motives on them because only dikshithars are allowed to perform pujas in the temple, is not fair. they have a very well regulated system in the temples, where they perform duties even of nightwatchman in turn amongst themselves. they are all equal in status there is no discriminaton among them. pls. visit the following link to know more details about them:

http://www.chennaionline.com/columns/DownMemoryLane/diary172.asp

Please define dilapidated

Dear Naras Ji,

The problem here is not about 'funds'. If the Dhikshithars put out a clarion call out there to collect the funds from the Shaivites from around the Globe, they will receive that. I do not understand why they are not advertising their plight for the lack of funds! There is some weird internal politics going on.

Pranams,
KRS
On my recent vaction in India in 2005, I took on a pligrimage to the temples of Tamilnadu. We were on a package tour, and our first stop was Chidambaram.
The Dikshitars were very friendly, may be I was in veshti and thudu and my poonal was visible, and had my dharmapatni on my side ( man you get a lot of respect with wives in traditional dresses :)).
There was a board that said "People should not enter the temple with Lungi, shorts etc), but I saw a bunch of noisy stinking people come out of a Tata Sumo, and most of them were scratching their b**** and had shorts and printed baniyan only. They entered the temple in this kolam, and nobody objected. The whole atmospher of the temple was kinda disturbed...may be this is waht you mean by dilapidate state of the society or the temple.

There are multiple dhikshitas in the main part of the temple, and the fee was Rs50 to enter the main part. One young eager dhikshitar took me inside and gave individual attention ( value for money and customer service). He explained the Chidambara Ragasiyam, the concept of Sabhais, the concept of Nataraja himsled, and and took around 25 minutes to finish the lecture. It was thorough and any marketing professional would learn from them.Then he brought us out respectfully, and explained that Chidambaram temple is not a gov. controlled temple and funds are needed to maintain the temple, and he was telling the various schemes they had in place. Before asking for money, he also asked for our feedback and wanted to know if we require any additional information.

One more important thing he stressed was, " we are not after money....we are after contacts. if you are willing to participate, please give your address, and one of us would come to your house and collect money, but we will be happy if you can introduce us to more willing people".

I wanted to know about the pradosha poojai or some scheme and he said it would take Rs400 for 6 months, which sounded reasonable.
But since I wanted the money to be donated by my father, as I dont want to be like munthiri kottai, I promised him, next time I would visit the temple with my father, I would pay the money he wanted. I still had a tiny streak of element of doubt about parting with the money. So, I did not give him the address, and parted his company.

We come outside, the tour guide says, we can have food in the local hotels and proceed further.

We had food and came outside, and the bus has left without us. As per the tour plan, the next stop was Vaitheeswaran temple, so we decided to hire a cab and catch up the bus, as it was very important for me to see all the temples. We approached a cab and explained the driver that we have to reach Vaitheeswaran koil to catch up with the bus.

He said , "It would take Rs400 to take you there". Anybody would know that for Rs400 we can travel much farther...but I was shocked at the number. Since I did not have any choice, I took the cab. He dropped us at the famous Vaitheeswaran temple, next to the stupid tour bus. I paid him off and requested a receipt....and when he signed the receipt, he has signed in tamil as "Vaithyanathan". I was kinda shocked seeing all these coincidences. After we had a darshan and got in the bus, my wife started kadichifying my ear..."onnu gavanichela....anga Rs 400 kettaanga, ingayum athaye kettar"...then I added to her surprice by showing his signature. :))).

Well coming to the temple itself, it can be clearly seen that people of other castes also work in the temple at various levels. and people of other castes also had darshan in the main part of the temple.

The ceilings are intact and the paintings were fresh. I did not see any leprosy afflicted pond, may be I did not have enough time to explore, and even if it looks like leprosy afflicted, it is mainly because, people shit on the banks of the pond and wash their cloths and filthy a***.

The temple itself is big, and it might take atleast a day or two to enjoy the greatness.

Coming to the point of dikshitas themselves, I was told they live as a close society, and there is a saying the " THillai ponnu ellaya thanda maatta", which my mother interpreted as , they dont marry outside their caste. Obviosly, I did not want to marry "only" a Dikshita girl, just to prove her false :)), and nullify the caste structure.

I can also say, they are very knowledgable and cohesive. They may or may not have a formal education, but obviously, they know that contacts are very important.

On our previous visit to Chidambaram, I was a kid, and there were no hotels availalbe, so one dikshitar took three of us (mom, dad, and me the baby) to his home and made all the arrangements. I still remember the hot dosais and chutney maami fed me, and to top it all he did not accept any money from my father. He told us he is a professor in the Annamalai university.

Guys, if this is the same Chidambaram temple as the "Chidambara Rahasyam", I visited in 2003 and it looked OK - don't know if there has been a lot of deterioration since then.

Dear Vaylan Ji,

I visited the temple (yes, this is the one with 'Chidhambara Rahasyam' and from which the famous 'Dancing Shiva' form originated) in 2000. I was touring the temples in South India with my dharmapatni and sons (in their late teens at that time, and it was their first visit to India). We first visited the Tanjore temple and that probably coloured our eyes. We stopped at several temples along the way (Vaitheeswaran temple is our family's Kula temple), and saw Chidambaram as the last stop. I was totally disappointed. First of all, the Dhikshithars, seeing as clearly not living in India, told us a lie about what it would cost us to enter the temple. They did not ask for donations. They flatly said that to enter the temple, this would be the fee. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have read about the fee structure before going to the temple, and so I protested. And they let me go!

I was disappointed looking at the temple, because one must keep in mind that this temple IS THE SEMINAL TEMPLE FOR SHAIVISM in the SOUTH INDIA. The tank had green water with human excrements strewn all over. The figures through out the temple can stand a 'brushing up'. The floors leading to the 'Moolasthanam' were dirty.

I am in no way accusing the Dikshthar community. My only question is that, as they are the sole guardians of this seminal Shiva temple, are they doing everything in their power to restore at least the old temple to new glory as the Tanjore temple did.

Pranams,
KRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back