• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Yatra!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BostonSankara

So after a decent amount of thought I think it is finally time I travel to India! I would have about 2 months to spend there and I was thinking about trying to stay in the south (TN, Kerala, Karnataka (maybe), and Sri Lanka). I want to visit the following temples Rameswaram, Chidambaram, Ekambaranathar (Kanci), Meenakshi-Sundareshwarar, Thanjavur, Kalikambal, Sringeri or Kanchi Mutt (maybe). I have no idea what type of costs to estimate for room and board there though. I am hoping to learn as much Tamil as I can as well as just have a wonderful experience abroad learning and visiting as many temples as I can. Can any of you help me understand what the food, room / board costs might be like in Tamil Nadu? Any help is immensely appreciated.

Dear Sri BostonSankara Ji,

Since you are a Shiva Bhaktha, you need to at least complete visiting the 4 of the 5 Pancha bootha temples of Him in TN. (The fifth is in Kalahasthi, Andhra). You have already covered two (Chidambaram and Kanchi), but definitely you need to visit Thiruvanaikaval in Trichy (my home town, called the temple city as the famous Srirangam temple for Lord Vishnu is also there) and definitely visit Thiruvannamalai temple, which is probably the most sacred of the five, representing fire.

If you are traveling alone, you can stay at somewhat budget hotels (will cost you anywhere between $30 - $60 per night), but don't expect the hygiene conditions to be anywhere near what you have here. You also want to eat at restaurants that use properly filtered and boiled water. I would budget about $20 to $30 per day, probably to be safe. If you are traveling with family, you want to stay at at least 3 * hotels and that will set you back anywhere from over $60 to over $100 per night.

Just my take. Others may give you better numbers and ideas.

Regards,
KRS

Well. You don't have to necessarily stay in each of the places you have mentioned.

In Chennai (Madras), you have Mylapore Kapaleeswarar Temple. If you have Chennai as your base, you can cover Kalahasti, Kanchipuram and Thiruvannamalai. You can then move (by road) to Thanjavur/Kumbakonam via Chidambaram. From that base, you can visit Navagra sthala (which are indeed Siva temples). You can then travel, again by road, to Tiruchi to visit temples there. Then to Madurai, yet again by road. You can take a day's trip to Rameswaram from Madurai. You may consider visiting "arupadaiveedu" of Lord Muruga with Madurai as your base. Otherwise, you may visit the "arupadai veedu temple" in Chennai.
Madurai is closer to Sri Lanka as well, though I am not sure of the mode of travel. There are flights from Chennai to Colombo.

Kerala is nearer from Madurai. You can either fly or travel by train to Kochi or Thiruvanathapuram. You can cover the temples in Kerala by road. You can fly back to Bengaluru (Bangalore).

For temples in South Karnataka (Sringeri, Kollur, Horanadu Annapoorneswari, Dharmasthala Manjunatha Swamy, Udupi Krishna, Kukke Subrahmanya, Murudeeshwar), you can hire a raxi from Bangalore and check in at hotels as is necessary.

As for the costs, it depends upon your choice. A decent stay would cost you about $50 a night and a decent meal would cost you about $5 per person. Taxi would cost you about a Dollar for a distance of 3 K.M. Beware of touts and cheats. They are galore at tourist places. Try to be as much "Indian" as possible. It would keep those people off from you.

Hope it helps.

P.S.: Why don't you fly via Johannesburg and take me with you? I would be a good guide since I know all these places and I know Tamil very well.:crazy:

Wish you a pleasant journey. A 3* hotel like famina is pretty decent. Haridas, I bet would be a great guide. His advice is very good. If You go on visa to India, remember you can not reenter India within 2 months. So if you plan to visit Sri Lanka plan to visit on your inbound or on your return journey.

Thank you all so much for this information. It truly is a lot to process.

Dear Sri KRS Ji,

The Pancha Bhoota Stalam it is! What a fantastic idea! Thank you!

Dear Haridasa Siva Ji,

If I could fly through Johannesburg I would! Thank you for that wealth of information. I am still processing it all. This should turn out to be quite an adventure for sure.

Dear Prasad Ji,

Thanks a ton for the well wishes and logistical info. The visa thing is huge. Good to know.

Sincerely,
Sankara

Before visiting each place, try to collect the history of the place and Sthalapurana, for which it is famous etc., Avoid accumulating/ buying whatever you see., it is an additional burden when you travel, you are carry that articles you buy and safe guard them. Post your mail Id so that people can send you mails with attached text about the history. Also post how best you are in local languages and languages you are fluent read write and speak. This will also help. This is right time to travel!
In the evening you can visit markets just look around!

Visitng Temples

Before visiting each place, try to collect the history of the place and Sthalapurana, for which it is famous etc., Avoid accumulating/ buying whatever you see., it is an additional burden when you travel, you are carry that articles you buy and safe guard them. Post your mail Id so that people can send you mails with attached text about the history. Also post how best you are in local languages and languages you are fluent read write and speak. This will also help. This is right time to travel!
In the evening you can visit markets just look around!

Dear shri Boston Sankar,

As one who visited the temples, I request to visit the Navagraha sthal Temples- representing the Nine planets--around river Tamirabharani-- Nine Vaishnavite temples representing Nine Planets & nine Shiva temples representing Nine plants-- The temples are old, Huge, wonderful & really magnificient. Pl. donot miss it. it will take only four /five days to see them,. If U hire a taxi, they take U as a trip in days, all the nine temples, So for both the shiva & vishnu temples U may require 2+2 =4 days only. Might be if U wish, u can take a rest one day, in between if U feel tiresome. But worth going. Apart from that Nelliappar temple, & temples in Kalakkad are very famous.. I donot know, but heard a lot abt them too..

Pl donot miss it.

wishing U a wonderful & enjoyable trip.

yours,

Mrs.melu

( Alamelu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back