• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

music and pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

puzhavai

Friends,
Music is said to have influence on the growth of plants,climatic conditions like rains,healthy growth of a baby inside the pregnant lady's womb etc..I wonder whether it is a myth or reality.Kindly enlighten on this topic.
Regarding pregnancy and music,any specific raga for the better-being of the babe?
Dr Bhavani Chandrasekharan,
Gynaecologist

Dr. Bhavani,

It is now a normally accepted fact that the foetus is capable of assimilating some amount of thought-inputs from the mother and also it is influenced to a very amazing degree by the external circumstances surrounding it (i.e., the mother). I am not able to provide references but we have Dr. Renuka and Smt. HappyHindu who may have some research papers ready for reference.

Viewed against such a backdrop, I am convinced that if we are able to ensure a happy and contented pregnancy to a woman, the child born will have a cheerful disposition and better health. Hence if the mother likes music, she should enjoy whatever suits her taste. As for ragas in Carnatic music, I feel most ragas must be good but, once again, it is the mother's choice, I believe.

I do not think music will "correct", or cure any defective conditions observed in the foetus.

My mother used to say that pregnant woman can listen to any and every kind of soft music and slokas/stotras
including religious stories that she feels comfortable in listening and enjoys. However, she used to say that very
loud music can be unpleasant to the child and therefore the same must be avoided to the maximum extent possible.
This is only a hearsay over the years and it is only humble submission.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I remember once Mr.Pandit Jasraj and his grand daughter ( who was only 6 or 7 years) old gave a memorable performance in Dubai.Audiences were astonished that a small child could sing so well Hindustani ragas.Sri Pandit Jasraj explained that when his daughter was pregnant he use to sing everyday in front of her so that the child could inbibe the music when it was in the womb.The child which heard the music in womb was none other than the grand daughter who sang with him.
In my view it all depends how sincere you are and what is your faith level.Music especially good traditional music has great impact on the child in the womb.

I remember once Mr.Pandit Jasraj and his grand daughter ( who was only 6 or 7 years) old gave a memorable performance in Dubai.Audiences were astonished that a small child could sing so well Hindustani ragas.Sri Pandit Jasraj explained that when his daughter was pregnant he use to sing everyday in front of her so that the child could inbibe the music when it was in the womb.The child which heard the music in womb was none other than the grand daughter who sang with him.
In my view it all depends how sincere you are and what is your faith level.Music especially good traditional music has great impact on the child in the womb.

What you say is exactly the same in my grand daughter's case. She has good interest
towards music and if you chant sloka in front of her she picks up immediately. As my
daughters go for work, I used to make them sleep during day time in the swing (thooli).
Though I listen and have interest to music both carnatic and hindustani, since I have
not learnt properly, I do not know how to sing with proper ragas. However, I manage
with my grand children. The slokas which I chant during that time, they used to recite
and nowadays they chant with me without any difficulty with aksharapadams. Presently
I am making her to learn simple slokas and chant daily in the morning before going to
School. This is my experience.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back