• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

நாராயணா என்னும் நாமம்....

Status
Not open for further replies.
நாராயணா என்னும் நாமம்....

மனிதர்களுக்கு கர்வம் தலைக்கு ஏருவது போல...ஒருமுறை நாரதர்க்கும் கர்வம் தலைக்கு ஏறியது.அதன் விளைவாக நாராயணா என்று பகவான் நாமத்தை தினம் தோறும் சொல்வதால் தனக்கு என்ன பலன் கிடைக்கும் ?என்று ஒரு சந்தேகம் வந்துவிட்டது.

அதே சிந்தனையுடன் வைகுண்டதிற்க்கு வருகிறார்...இருந்தாலும் கடமைக்காகவும், திருமால் தப்பாக நினைக்க கூடாதே என்ற பயத்தாலும் நாராயணா... நாராயணா... என்று கூறிக்கொண்டெ வருகிறார்.

உளகை அளந்தவணுக்கு நாரதர் உள்ளத்தை அளக்க தெரியதா என்ன?

என்றாலும் அறிந்தும் அறியாதவர் போல் என்ன நாரதா... உன் குற்ல் வழக்கம் போல் இல்லயே... மனதில் ஏதொ சந்தெகம் தெரிகிறதே...

நாரதரோ," தங்களிடம் என்னால் எதையாவது மறைக்க முடியுமா?"

இருந்தாலும்....எப்படி கேட்பது என்றுதான் ?

பரவாயில்லை கேள்... இது திருமால்..

கேட்க வேண்டும் போலவும் இருக்கிறது...கேட்காவிட்டால் தலையே வெடித்து விடும் போலவும் இருக்கிறது.....

பரவாயில்லை... கேள்...

அதாவது ஸ்வாமி... தங்கள் நாமத்தை தினம் தோறும் சொல்வதால் யென்ன பயன்.....இது தான் என் சந்தேகம்...என் சந்தேகத்தில் தவறு இருந்தால் என்னை மன்னித்துவிடுங்கள்.

இவ்வாறு இவர்கள் பேசிக்கொண்டு இருக்கும்போது ஒரு வண்டு வட்ட்மிட்டுகொண்டு அங்கு வருகிறது.

நாரதா உன் சந்தேகத்தை அந்த வண்டிடம் கேள்...

உடனே நாரதர் வ்ண்டின் காதில் நாராயணா என்று சொல்வதால் என்ன பயன்? என்று கேட்டார் நாரதர்.

உடனே வண்டு இறந்துவிட்டது.

மீண்டும் திருமாலிடம் வந்த நாரதர் ஸ்வாமி தங்கள் திருநாமத்தை கேட்ட மாத்திரதில் வண்டு இறந்துவிட்டது என்ன செய்வது ?.

பரவாயில்லை... உடனே நீ பூலோகம் சென்று ஒரு ஜமீந்தார் வீட்டு பசு மாடு ஒரு கன்றை ஈனப்போகிறது... அந்த கன்றிடம் உன் சந்தெகத்தை கேள்....

நாரதர் உடனே பூலொகம் வருகிறார்..ஜமீந்தார் வீட்டுக்கு பின் புறம் உள்ள மாட்டு கொட்டகைக்கு வருகிறார்...

இவர் வரவும் பசு மாடு ஈன்வும் சரியாக இருந்தது.

கன்று பிறந்த உடன் அதன் காதில் சென்று நாராயணா என்று சொல்வதால் என்ன பயன்? என்று கேட்டார் நாரதர்.

உடனே கன்று இறந்துவிட்டது.

தலை தப்பியது தம்பிறான் புண்ணியம் என்று விழுந்தடித்துகொண்டு
மீண்டும் வைகுண்டம் வருகிறார் நாரதர்.

திருமாலிடம் அய்யோ ஸ்வாமி என்னவென்று சொல்வேன்.தங்கள் பெயரை சொன்ன உடன் பூலோகத்தில் ஜமின்தார் வீட்டு கன்றும் இரந்து விட்டது.

யாரும் பார்பதற்குள் விழுந்தடித்து ஓடி வருகிறேன்.இன்னும் எனது சந்தேகம் தீர்ந்தபாடில்லை.

உடனே திருமால் பரவாயில்லை நாரதாதிரும்பவும் பூலோகம் சென்று வா.அங்கு மன்னனின் பட்டத்து ராணி நிறை மாத கர்பிணி.இப்பவோ அப்பவோ என்று அவளுக்கு குழந்தை பிறக்கும் நேரம் நெருங்கிகொண்டிருக்கிறது.

குழந்தை பிறந்தவுடன் அந்த குழந்தையிடம் கேட்டால் உன் சந்தேகத்துக்கு பதில் கிடைக்கும் என்றார் திருமால்.

ஐயோ ஸ்வாமி எனக்கு பயமாக இருக்கிறது.

அரசியார் அருகில் அரசர் நிச்சயம் இருப்பார்.அரன்மனையில் காவலும் அதிகமாக இருக்கும்.ஒருவேளை கடந்த முறை போல் குழந்தை உம் பெயரை கேட்ட மாத்திரத்தில் இறந்துவிட்டால் நிச்சயம் நான் உயிரோடு வரமுடியாது. என்றார் நாரதர்.

பரவாயில்லை.சென்று வா நரதா உன் உயிருக்கு நான் உதிரவாதம் தருகிறேன் என்று திருமால் நாரதருக்கு தைரியமூட்டி அனுப்புகிறார்.

(மீதி நாளஒய்

The same one had taken rebirths after hearing the name of NARAYANA.
That is the power of NAMA. This in short is the moral of the story.
We will hear Sri Sankaranarayanan tomorrow.

[h=1]#11. “நாராயணா!”[/h]
“நாராயணா!” எனும் நாமத்தை
நாவாறச் சொன்னாலே போதும் ;
நன்மைகள் நம்மைச் சூழும், பல
வண்மைகள் நம்மை வந்தடையும் .

அந்தண குலத்தில் பிறந்து, குலத்தின்
அறங்களைக் கைவிட்டு வாழ்ந்தும்,
நாராயண நாம வைபவத்தாலேயே
நரகத்தைத் தவிர்த்தவன் கதை இது!

அந்தணன் அஜாமிளன் ஒரு நாள்
தந்தை சொற்படிக் கானகம் சென்றான்.
காமத்தின் வசப்பட்டவனாய், அங்கு ஒரு
காரிகையைக் கண்டு விரும்பினான்.

இழி குலத்தில் பிறந்தவள் அவள்;
இன்பம் அளிப்பதில் கைதேர்ந்தவள்;
குலம், ஆசாரம், கல்வி, தவம் கெடக்
கூடி வாழ்ந்தான், குடும்பம் பெருகிற்று.

கடைக் குட்டியின் பெயர் நாராயணன்;
கடைத்தேறவும் அதுவே உதவியது!
மரண காலத்தில் தன் முன் தோன்றிய
முரட்டுக் கிங்கரரைக் கண்டு அஞ்சினான்.

நடுங்கிய வண்ணம் நாவாற அழைத்தான்,
“நாராயணா!” என்று தன் செல்ல மகனை!
விஷ்ணு தூதர்கள் வந்தனர் விரைவிலே
யே;
விவாதம் துவங்கிற்று குழுக்களிடையே!

பாவங்களைப் பட்டியல் இட்டு
படித்துக் காட்டினர் யம கிங்கரர்;
பகவான் நாமத்தைச் சொன்னதுமே,
பாவம் தொலைந்தது என்றனர் தூதர்.

இறுதியில் வென்றனர் விஷ்ணு தூதர்கள்.
சடுதியில் நற்கதி அடைந்தான் அஜாமிளன்.
விண்ணப்பித்த கிங்கரரிடம் கூறினான் யமன்,
“விஷ்ணு பக்தரை இனி அணுக வேண்டாம்”.

நெருப்பு, சருகுகளை எரிப்பது போலும்,
மருந்து, நோய்களை அழிப்பது போலும்,
நாராயணனின் நாமம், நவின்றவர்களின்
நூறாயிரம் பாவங்களை அழித்துவிடும்!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

NAARAAYANA NAAMA MAHIMAA.

The utterance of the name ‘nArAyanA’ will rid us of all sins and bless us with everything good in life!

ajAmilan was a brahmin by birth but he gave up all the practices of a brahmin. His load of sin would have delivered him into narakam, but by uttering the name of NArAyanA his sins were absolved and he escaped punishment in narakam.

One day ajAmilA went to the forest to bring the things needed by his father. He met a woman of dubious virtue and fell in love with her. He gave up his old practices and started living with her. They got many children. The youngest and the most favorite son was named as NArAyanA.

On his death bed ajAmilA got frightened by the sight of the kinkarAs – the servants of YamA. He called out for his son NArAyanA who was playing outside.

Immediately the Vishnu dhoothAs arrived and a heated argument ensued.

The kinkarAs listed all the sins of that man. Vishnu dhoothAs argued that the moment he uttered Lord’s name all his sins were absolved. Finally Vishnu dhoothAs won the argument and ajAmilA escaped narakam.

When the kinkarAs reported the incident to yamA, he advised them to keep away from Vishnu bhakthAs.

Just as fire destroys dried leaves and medicine destroys diseases the name of NArAyanA will destroy all the sins of a hundred thousand janmAs.

#30. செவிடன் காதும், ஊதும் சங்கும்!

ஒருமுறை கேட்டேன் அறியாமையால்,
குருவிடம் நான் ஒரு சிறிய கேள்வி!

“பாங்குடன் உலகைக் காக்கும் கைகளில்,
சங்கு, சக்கரம், கதை, தாமரைகள் ஏன்?”

சிறு குழந்தைக்குச் சொல்வது போல,
சிரித்தபடியே சொன்னார் எங்கள் ஆசான்.

“இறைவன் நல்வழி நடப்பவர்களுக்கு,
சிறந்த தாமரை மலரினைத் தருவான்.”

தவறு செய்வோரை, சங்கொலி எழுப்பி,
கவனத்துடன் நடக்கும்படிச் சொல்வான்.

செவிடன் காதில் ஊதிய சங்கானால்,
செவிட்டில் அடிப்பான் கதையினால்!

தடுத்தும் மீண்டும் வரம்பு மீறினால்,
எடுப்பான் சக்கராயுதத்தை!”, என்றவர்

“உங்களுக்கு வேண்டியது தாமரையா,
சங்கா, சக்கரமா?”, எனக் கேட்டார்!

கனியிருக்கக் காய்களைக் கவருவோமா?
இனிய தாமரை இருக்க மற்றவை எதற்கு?

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி

THE CONCH AND THE DEAF EARS.

I asked my guru one day, “Why does the protector of the creation–VishnU-carry a lotus flower, a conch, a mace and a discus?”

My guru was pleased with my question and replied with a smile.

“God will present the lovely lotus flower to everyone treading on the path of dharmA.

He will blow his conch and warn the person who commits occasional mistakes.

He will give a light blow or a gentle knock with His mace, if the person continues in the path of adharmA.

If His warnings fall on deaf ears, He will use His discus. Which of these do you want to get?”

We are not fools to prefer sour fruits to ripe sweet ones nor the conch, the mace and the discus to the lovely lotus flower!

( இடையில் அவசரமக பெங்களுருக்கு ஒரு வினாயகர் கோவிலுக்கு கோபுர கலசம் கொடுக்க சென்றதால் தொடர்ச்சி எழுத தாமதம் ஆகிவிட்டது)

என்றாலும் கூட திரு என்.ஆர்.ரெங்கனாதன் அவர்கள் #2 ல் குறிப்பிட்டபடி ஒரே ஜீவன் நாராயண நாமத்தை கேட்டதால் மோட்சம் கிடைத்து படிப் படியாக உயர் பிற்ப்பை பெற்றது என்பதே இக் கதையின் நீதி ஆகும்.

I try explain the meaning of the name NARAYANA.
Nara - Jeevans, Ayanam- Residing place.
Nara - Jeevans, Ayana - supporter
Two Interpretations are there.
He resides in all jeevans, as antheryami.
He who supports Jeevans,Jeevans are suppored by Him.
OM NAMAHA;NARAYANAYAH.
I am not for me;I am for Him.

Alwan

Last edited by a moderator:
Narayana Ennum Namam

Thank you for your excellent and mind catching explanation to remember by the
Children too.

According to mythological explanations, Lord Brahma is the first Member of the
Brahmanical Group; Lord Vishnu being the second and Lord Shiva, the Parameshwar
is the third. We all know that Brahma is the God of creation.

The Vedas do describe Lord Vishnu as the God of three strides upholder of Law
and giver of boons In course of time, it is said according to mythology, he became
"Narayana"

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

It is verse from Narayana Suktham and the meaning .

"Sahasra seersham devam viswaksham viswa sambhuvam.
Viswam narayanam devam aksharam paramam padam. "

I meditate on god Narayana,
Who has thousands of heads,
Who sees everywhere,
Who does good to all the world,
Who is the world,
Who is indestructible,
And who is the greatest destination.

Alwan

Thirumangai Alwar in his Pasuram outlines the greatness of the Name of Lord Sriman Narayanan.
Quote "Vaadinen Vaadi Varundhinen" In this Pasuram, in one of the lines, HE says "Naadinen
Naadi Naan Kandu Konden Narayana Ennum Namam". This Pasuram is chanted in Aashtapathi
in Krishna Wedding Celebrations conducted by Bhagavathals. One of the renowned Baghavathas
mentioned in his discourse that by chanting this one can attain Mukthi i.e. whatever he wants.
Further he used to say that such songs should be specifically sung in Nama Sangeerthanams.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I have been wanting to post in this thread right from the start, but was not sure how it will be received coming from an avowed atheist. But, given the literary genius of the author of the poem, I drummed up the temerity to present 10 pasurams of Thirumangai Azhvar that end with the epithet "நாராயணா என்னும் நாமம்".

The story goes that the Azhvar, having gone bankrupt feeding 1000 mendicant Vasihnavas a day, as promised in exchange for the hand of sweet damsel Kumudavalli, was waylaying rich merchants and relieving of their treasure. To stop this travesty Sriman Narayana and Mahalakshmi came down as newly wed rich merchants to be robbed by the Azhvar. When he was unable to remove a toe ring from one of the toes of Sriman Narayan he tries to bite it off. The touch of Sriman Narayana's foot is supposed to have bestowed the Azhvar with all the esoteric knowledge there is and he launched into singing more than 1000 verses in praise of Sriman Narayana, the first ten of which end with "நாராயணா என்னும் நாமம்", and they are so exquisite that even an atheist can appreciate them.

The first of these ten pasurams:

வாடினேன் வாடி வருந்தினேன் மனத்தால், பெருந்துயர் இடும்பையில் பிறந்து
கூடினேன் கூடி இளையவர் தம்மோடு, அவர் தரும் கலவியே கருதி
ஓடினேன் ஓடி உய்வதோர் பொருளால், உணர்வெனும் பெரும் பதம் தெரிந்து
நாடினேன் நாடி நான் கண்டு கொண்டேன், நாராயணா என்னும் நாமம்!

Such a moving pasurm, it was one that took me deep into SV before I woke up to reality :)!

Cheers!

p.s. Thirumanagai Azhyvar is the only Azhvar to be revered as a dampathi in his native Thirvali/Thirunagari.

According to mythological explanations, Lord Brahma is the first Member of the
Brahmanical Group; Lord Vishnu being the second and Lord Shiva, the Parameshwaris the third. We all know that Brahma is the God of creation.
Sir, in some puranic explanations, Vishnu is the first and Brahma is the second, that is, Brahma is born from the navel of Vishnu.

In the Mamallapuram Prashasti (dated to the reign of Narasimhavarman I of 630 - 668 AD), Vishnu comes first and Brahma is born from Vishnu. This prashasti is actually a list of pallava rulers in their own style of explaining origin of themselves (some names were apparently added to this Prashasti after the reign of Narasimhavarman I).

Also, the first historical mention of the Dasavatara concept is engraved in an inscription at one side of the sanctum entrance of the Adi Varaha cave in Mahabalipuram. It says:

Matsyah Kurmo Varahasya Narasimhascha Vamanah|
Ramo Ramasya Ramasya Buddhah Kalki cha te dasaa ||

The Fish, Tortoise, Boar, Man-lion and Dwarf, |
[Parasu-]Rama, Rama(-Raghava), (Bala-)rama, Buddha and Kalki,
these are the ten (avatars of Visnu).

AFAIK, before the time of the Pallava rulers there is no mention of Varaha and Narasimha anywhere in India. Possibly they were indo-bactrians or parthians who brought both these deities from around the regions of Iran. Pallava rulers frequently bore their grandfather's names with an intergenerational alternation between Saiva and Vaisnava nomenclature. They did not seem to differentiate between deities Shiva and Vishnu.

Wish to add this for Music lovers like Shrimati Raji Ram ji. The Pallava king Mahendravarman (571 - 630 AD) invented a system of notation of musical sounds in vocal music. This idea wud have been lost to the world. But T.N. Ramachandran, the historian brought it to light.

Ramachandran wrote:
"..by his invention he was able to find a place in vocal music for all the intonations of sounds that a veena could produce. As luck would have it, the KudumiyamAlai inscription contains this invention of his and immortalizes his achievement in this field".

This is possibly the earliest historical mention of intonations which a Veena could produce (and this was done between 571 - 630 AD). The Kudumiyamalai inscription is actually a 15 feet x 12 feet rock face smoothed off and covered with an inscription in an elegant early Pallava Grantha script. The text is a musical description based on notes in the seven classical ragas. Before the reign of Mahendravarman, stone as a medium was not used for Hindu religious art in Tamilnadu. However, such use of stone was fully developed in the Andhra regions. So its not a surprise that Mahendravarman introduced it into the Tamil regions. Also, the same Mahendravarman created the Samkeerna Jaati in music. In his reign the maxiumum number of cave-temples and stone sculptures were built in the Andhra regions. Many sculptures depict the Veena.

Regards.

Last edited:
Here I post the next verse of Narayana suktham with translation,

Viswatha paramanithyam viswam narayanam harim,
Viswamevedam purusha stadvischa mupajeevathi.
I meditate on God Narayana,
Who is much greater than this world,
Who is forever,
Who is the world,
Who destroys sins and suffering,
And say, that this world is Purusha,
And is alive because he is inside it.

Alwan

Here is the second pasruam:

ஆவியே அமுதே, என நினைந்துருகி, அவரவர் பணைமுலை துணையா
பாவியேன் உணராது எத்தனை பகலும், பழுதுபோய் ஒழிந்தன நாள்கள்
தூவிசேர் அன்னம் துணையொடும் புணரும், சூழ்புனல் குடந்தையே தொழுது
என் நாவினால் உய்ய நான் கண்டுகொண்டேன், நாராயணா என்னும் நாமம்!

Nice. Alwar in one of his pasurams, says that he is unable to understand
Lord Narayana in spite of his dedicated devotion. Further he adds that
how Lord Siva could ...

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Third verse Narayana Suktham,

Viswatha paramanithyam viswam narayanam harim,
Viswamevedam purusha stadvischa mupajeevathi.

I meditate on God Narayana,
Who is much greater than this world,
Who is forever,
Who is the world,
Who destroys sins and suffering,
And say, that this world is Purusha,
And is alive because he is inside it.

Naraayanayaa Vidhmahe Vasudevayaa dheemahi tanno Vishnu prachodayaat

We commune (talk to somebody intimately i.e. commune with God in prayer) ourselves
with Narayana and medidate on Vasudeva, may that Vishnu direct us to the Great God.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

4th Verse of Narayana Suktham,

Pathim viswasyatmeshwara, saswatha shivamachyutham,
Narayanam mahagneyam viswathmanam parayanam.

I meditate on Narayana,
Who owns this world,
Who is the god of all souls,
Who is forever,
Who is personification of good,
Who never slips,
Who needs to be known with great effort,
Who is the soul of everything,
And who is the great destination.

Alwan

Status
Not open for further replies.