• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Our Next President

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariharan1972

Dr Kalam's tenure is going to end shortly & indications are that he wants to vacate Rastrapathi Bhavan & return to teaching.

Not that we will make any difference to the final outcome, but i thought of initiating a discussion on :

a) Who should be our next president ?
b) What are the qualities that we should look for ? &
c) What should be the President's focus ? (I know his role is largely ornamental but within the ambit of what he could do)

I am interested in knowing the choices of members & their backgrounds ? It could be anyone. (Silver Fox for President anyone ?)

Dr Kalam's tenure is going to end shortly & indications are that he wants to vacate Rastrapathi Bhavan & return to teaching.

Not that we will make any difference to the final outcome, but i thought of initiating a discussion on :

a) Who should be our next president ?
b) What are the qualities that we should look for ? &
c) What should be the President's focus ? (I know his role is largely ornamental but within the ambit of what he could do)

I am interested in knowing the choices of members & their backgrounds ? It could be anyone. (Silver Fox for President anyone ?)

sir - more than who should be our next president, the important question is WHO SHOULD NOT BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT??? I think Somanatha chatterjee or any other leftist, if he becomes president of india, would be a big threat for unity and integrity of our country,particularly with china continuing its rabid anti indian stance on the border issues!!!

Names doing the round

The names doing the round for Presidency & their chances as deduced by media is as below :

a) Karan Singh - Forward Caste, Sonia supports him but BJP likely to oppose as he fought Vajpayee at Lucknow

b) Sushil Kumar Shinde - Dalit, Since present CJI is also a Dalit, think tank is in favour of giving opportunity to other castes (what a pathetic excuse !!! & these guys talk of eradicating caste !)

c) Somnath Chatterjee - Forward Caste, would please Left as it would finally get an opportunity to carry sickle & hammer into Raisina Hill..BJP will oppose tooth n nail as they don't have a good relationship on the Parliament floor

d) Veerappa Moily - Backward ?, seen to be a dark horse...but promoting him would mean that Veerappa Moily the politician is lost for ever for Congress. May be reqd to checkmate JD, BJP in Karnataka...so Congress may not shunt him out of active politics so easily & so early in his political career

e) Amitabh Bachan - Forward, What a joke ? If Amar Singh has his way, it could very well be Mera Bachan Mahan soon enough

My choice & chances as i see

a) N R Narayanamurthy - impeccable credentials, problem is he may not be keen, Left would oppose for his views on capitalism, his personal wealth could be an eyesore for few ?. Dr Kalam a southie so the thinking could be to bring a northie this time, so weak chances

I 110% agree.

sir - more than who should be our next president, the important question is WHO SHOULD NOT BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT??? I think Somanatha chatterjee or any other leftist, if he becomes president of india, would be a big threat for unity and integrity of our country,particularly with china continuing its rabid anti indian stance on the border issues!!!
Suresh sir,
Kalakkareenga. I really like your approach in analysing the situations and problems.

Most probably it will be Sushil Kumar Shinde (=several indicators to it). Naryanamurthy does not stand a chance! He has been most politically incorrect by very aggressively opposing reservations in private sector.

Tamilian as PM ?

I started this thread to discuss about possible presidential candidates, but not seeing much discussion generated around this.

Hence, i wanted to use this platform to discuss another nagging thought in my mind.....

No tamilian has ever risen to the post of PM.....What could be the reasons ?

My pick :

a) Tamil MPs have a very narrow perspective - only that of TN.

b) They don't have a pan india appeal

c) They are deeply entrenched in politics of the state - Dayanidhi doesn't even miss attending a function in TN for free distribution of anything - TV, Gas stove

d) I doubt whether at all they have any view on matters of national importance...I haven't seen a Tamil MP condemning any incident which affects the indian public at large. They hardly take any stand on matters governing india's external relations, save for Sri Lanka

e) Tamil parties are the biggest votaries of "Federal Structure". They constantly dream of usurping powers of the Center & placing as many subjects in the State list as possible.

f) They lack dynamism & leadership that can touch every Indian mind & soul.

Ofcourse, there is always the problem of northies holding center stage at Delhi but that apart, i guess Tamil MPs need to buck up & raise above petty politics if they wish to create history.

Can't see any takers as of now !!!!!...Closest could be Chidambaram ?

Tamil kings also.

I started this thread to discuss about possible presidential candidates, but not seeing much discussion generated around this.

Hence, i wanted to use this platform to discuss another nagging thought in my mind.....

My pick :

c) They are deeply entrenched in politics of the state - Dayanidhi doesn't even miss attending a function in TN for free distribution of anything - TV, Gas stove

d) I doubt whether at all they have any view on matters of national importance...I haven't seen a Tamil MP condemning any incident which affects the indian public at large. They hardly take any stand on matters governing india's external relations, save for Sri Lanka

e) Tamil parties are the biggest votaries of "Federal Structure". They constantly dream of usurping powers of the Center & placing as many subjects in the State list as possible.

Ofcourse, there is always the problem of northies holding center stage at Delhi but that apart, i guess Tamil MPs need to buck up & raise above petty politics if they wish to create history.

Even tamil kings had this problem with the few exceptions of Rajaraja, Rajendra etc....most fight will be between Chera, Chola, Pandya, Nedunkilli, Nalankilli,Killivalavan, Neducheziyan...it will be like dada fights for territory control. Even now our tamilnadu politicians ultimate dream is " Kottaya pudikarathu"-capturing the fort.

Do you think wearing veshti could be a reason, as wind can blow away the brains easily?

Last edited:
Serious reasons.

My pick :

1. Lack of understanding of national politics.
2. Not able to communicate with the common man of India ( hindi language).
3. More selfish.
4. Better money making methods available in TN.
5. Being a frog in a cup is better than a whale in the ocean.
6. It is easy to cheat tamil people.
7. Brahmin bashing works only in TN.
8. Coalition politics is as easy as office politics. Have no real strength..only fictitios strenght.

Last edited:
Add the typical mentality of "Thanakku rendu kannum ponalum paravai illai. Aduthavanukku oru kannavathu poganum" (its ok even if I lose both my eyes provided my friend at least loses one of his eyes).

Actually, according to rumours, GK Moopanar was the front runner for Prime Minister when Vajpayee government fell and Deve Gowda took over. But it seems our social justice champion, thaanai thalaivar MK backstabbed him. Maybe true. MK never likes anyone becoming greater than him (Marans and Stalin are the only exceptions)

Reg Dayaanidhi, I think Cho's quote was apt. "Kalyanam Endralum Dayanidhi Saastriyarthan, ...... endralum Avarthan. Ella functionukkum avarthan"

But I think it is all for a good cause. Looking at the havoc MK and Madam J have caused in TN, I am grateful that they never became PM :))

Ramki

Last edited:

My pick :

sir- considering the fact that the likes of rahul & priyanka, , are forerunners to rule the country, very soon you may have to change your question to 'why no indian is able to become prime minister???

PIO as PM !

sir- considering the fact that the likes of rahul & priyanka, , are forerunners to rule the country, very soon you may have to change your question to 'why no indian is able to become prime minister???

ha ha ha !!!!!

Guess this is why Congress has always been saying that it is not opposed to any PIO becoming head of the state - suits them isn't ? Person (of) Indian or Italian Origin !!!!!

Having said this, i am not opposed to Sonia Gandhi becoming PM from the perspective of her origin. I don't care !!!.

My pick :

Well if the tamil MPs( ofcourse all Non brahmins) try for PM post , then obviously they will have to encounter the same discriminatory treatment which they have been giving brahmins in the state-- namely oppression based on brute majority strength. So I dont think they can become a PM. Even if it happens rarely just like what happened with Deve gowda, I think it will be short-lived. I doubt that anyone could even get ot that level, because in Tamil nadu no single party can get more than 25 MPs. If dayandih wants to become PM, he will have strong competition from anbumani. Once karunanidhi exits politics, be assured that more caste based parites will form in TN and each having its leader vying for high posts. Hence I dont see any tamil becoming PM for the next 50 years atleast if not 100 years.

BTW while talking about regionalism like this, I would like to say this too:
The parties like PMK etc are justifying high propportion of reservation in IITS/ IIMs based on "the high numbers of OBC" and their supposed "backwardness".
What will happen if OBCs from UP or Bihar such as yadavs find that vanniars are getting more seats in IITs/IIMs ,central services, etc
and demand internal quota within the OBC chunk by saying that bihar and UP are traditionally more backward than TN and also yadavs form major percentage within the OBC. By having numerical superiority they can ensure that yadavs and jats and other north indian OBCs get more seats than tamil OBCs.
What will ramadoss do then? It will be like his own medicine given to him isn't it?

Anti-Incumbency.....whose problem is it anyway ?

I have been tracking the Assembly results of Punjab, Uttarakhand & Manipur.

The outgoing CMs are blaming "anti-incumbency" as the reason for their loss. My problem is that they make it appear that "all's fine with their Govt" & it was "only a case of anti-incumbency".

Excuse me !!!

My question to these CMs is :

If your governance has been good, why there is "anti-incumbency" ? Is "anti-incumbency" something which cannot be logically explained, has no rationale & is it purely the "whim & fancy" of the electorate ?

Will you guys do me a favour ?

Just tell whose problem is "anti-incumbency" in any case ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been tracking the Assembly results of Punjab, Uttarakhand & Manipur.

The outgoing CMs are blaming "anti-incumbency" as the reason for their loss. My problem is that they make it appear that "all's fine with their Govt" & it was "only a case of anti-incumbency".

Excuse me !!!

My question to these CMs is :

If your governance has been good, why there is "anti-incumbency" ? Is "anti-incumbency" something which cannot be logically explained, has no rationale & is it purely the "whim & fancy" of the electorate ?

Will you guys do me a favour ?

Just tell whose problem is "anti-incumbency" in any case ?

When BJP lost the parliament election it was due to their policies but when congress loses it is because of anti-incumbency. Hence it is based on the context.

Even now the 'anti-incumbency' is because of BJP , akalidal and other opposition parties. If they did not contest, then there would not have been any alternative for congress.

The next problem is the election commission and police dept which was not as co-operative as was witnessed in chennai corporation elections.

Of course the main problem is the elections itself. That is why Indra gandhi brought in emergency. What a pity it could not be continued indefinitely. If it had continued, then there is no question of election or anti-incumbency.
Hence the problem of anti-incumbency rests solely with the concept of election. So congress may decide to abolish it.

Digressing a bit....
As you know elections can be abolished by doing what is the fashionable thing to do nowadays for PMK , DMK etc -- Amending the Constitution. While DMK and PMK demand amendment to give reservation to tamil obcs / mbcs using brute majority, it will set a precendent for the northindian parties to amend the constitution to establish the following:
make hindi the only language to be used in india
give 99% reservation within the obc quota for north indian obcs.
all industries in TN must give 80% reservation to north indians.
no political posts for tamilians in tn etc etc etc.
All the above are justified by the same logic used by PMK and DMK -- brute majority can amend the constitution to its benefit.

Congress may insist on amending the constitution to let only it to contest the elections. or better still no elections.
If we can amend the constitution then it can be amended any number of ways and times such that it will never resemble what it was when created.

Last edited:
The names doing the round for Presidency & their chances as deduced by media is as below :

a) Karan Singh - Forward Caste, Sonia supports him but BJP likely to oppose as he fought Vajpayee at Lucknow

b) Sushil Kumar Shinde - Dalit, Since present CJI is also a Dalit, think tank is in favour of giving opportunity to other castes (what a pathetic excuse !!! & these guys talk of eradicating caste !)

c) Somnath Chatterjee - Forward Caste, would please Left as it would finally get an opportunity to carry sickle & hammer into Raisina Hill..BJP will oppose tooth n nail as they don't have a good relationship on the Parliament floor

d) Veerappa Moily - Backward ?, seen to be a dark horse...but promoting him would mean that Veerappa Moily the politician is lost for ever for Congress. May be reqd to checkmate JD, BJP in Karnataka...so Congress may not shunt him out of active politics so easily & so early in his political career

e) Amitabh Bachan - Forward, What a joke ? If Amar Singh has his way, it could very well be Mera Bachan Mahan soon enough

My choice & chances as i see

a) N R Narayanamurthy - impeccable credentials, problem is he may not be keen, Left would oppose for his views on capitalism, his personal wealth could be an eyesore for few ?. Dr Kalam a southie so the thinking could be to bring a northie this time, so weak chances

sir - my choice would be Mr. bhairon singh shekawat, the present vice president. a very experienced politician and able adminstrator. a very decent and cultured gentleman. i think he is the best of the present lot!!!

Going by the some of the earlier times, there is a possibility of Mr Shekawat, present VP's nomination to the highest post. Although being a BJP man, he was somewhat neutral during the discussions held in Rajya Sabha and have admirers from the ruling combine also. But, whatever may be the credentials, it is the wims and fancies of sonia (another tragedy in our country like the one in Tamil Nadu which misruled sometime back and thrown out of power) that will ultimately have a say. For being a rubber stamp and to go by the Cabinet decision in majority of cases, whoever it is, not going to make any impact. My personal opinion is that we should get a President who will not hesitate to tie up with Three Army Chiefs and to rule this country for atleasst five years by dismissing the present set up. Certainly Kalam will not do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back