• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indians are Racist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maruti

North Indians are Racist!

Here's an excellent article on why Indians are more racial than the rest. Seems as if Northies are sick. After getting thrashed by Muslims for thousand years, Northies are taking it out on a weak enemy, the gentle South Indians. How courageous!:bounce:

Indians are no less racial
Pioneer.com
A Surya Prakash
British citizens have lost no time in exorcising the racist ghost that had suddenly come to haunt them after Jade Goody's inappropriate comments and conduct in the reality television show, Celebrity Big Brother. Whatever be the views of persons like Goody, the desire of British society at large to distance itself from her remarks that were construed racist and offensive is indeed commendable.

While Indians are rejoicing over Shilpa Shetty's victory (triumph of good over Goody?), the celebrations would be meaningless if they were not accompanied by some soul-searching about racist attitudes within our own country. It is all very well to raise our voices against Jade Goody but, like the British, are we ready to face the issue squarely? The people of India belong to many races and cultures. Are we even aware of the prejudices we display and the cruelty we practice towards fellow citizens who happen to be dark skinned? Are we ready, like the British, to face the truth and initiate some corrective action?

If we are troubled by racism, we must begin the clean-up act with Hindi cinema which is full of situations and dialogues that can be described as racist. Millions of Indians have watched a lungi-clad Mehmood, his face daubed in black paint, prance around crazily to "Hum Kale Hai To Kya Hua, Dilwale Hai". This indeed is the racial stereotype that Hindi cinema has projected for decades. More recently, Satish Kaushik played the role of a south Indian musician in a movie along side Govinda. Here too the make-up guys painted his face black. The dialogues in this movie, too, were loaded with crude racist remarks with Govinda and Khader Khan, another actor, heaping scorn on Satish Kaushik for being dark skinned.

I am appalled at the stereotypes that Hindi cinema and television seek to project all the time. Going by these stereotypes, all south Indians are "black" and "ugly" and all north Indians are "white" and "good-looking". The truth is that most Indians have a dark or light brown skin tone. This is the typical skin tone across a majority of the States in all regions be it Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharastra, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka or Andhra Pradesh. The tone gets lighter up north in Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand and darker in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. In fact, a good percentage of people in eastern Uttar Pradesh and Bihar are dark-skinned. It is, therefore, ironical and comical to find people from these States refer to the skin tone of south Indians in a pejorative way.

But the stereotypes run so deep that people from the north find it difficult to accept the fact that Indian women who have bagged the Miss World or Miss Universe titles like Aishwarya Rai and Sushmita Sen do not come from "white" northern stock. Though the Rais are from Karnataka, many in the north would like to believe that Aishwarya is a Bhumihar from Uttar Pradesh!

Hindi television has carried this trend forward. The Great Indian Comedy Show often jokes about dark-skinned people. This prejudice against dark-skinned people then gets extended to other things which constitute the ingredients of culture. You first laugh at "Madrasis" because they are dark and then make a joke of other things associated with these "dark" people - their language, their dress and their food habits. Once the "Madrasis" becomes the butt end of your jokes, you begin talking down to them.

This is what racism is all about and for centuries the Caucasians believed that while everything about them was perfect, the black, brown and yellow races were imperfect. This attitude led to colonisation and apartheid. It was only in the latter part of the 20th century that the White Man recognised the need to stamp out racism and other such prejudices and to bring in political correctness in public discourse.

When will this process begin here? Such is the power of these prejudices that it impacts the work of even established film stars like Shahrukh Khan, who is now anchoring Kaun Banega Crorepati. I was distressed to find Shahrukh Khan joke about the name of a contestant from Andhra Pradesh - Mr Ramakrishna Guggila - and his companion, Mr Venkateshwarlu Putta. Shahrukh joked about their names and hinted time and again that their names were unpronounceable. Then, without so much as a by your leave, Shahrukh told Mr Guggila that he would call him "Guggi" or just "Guggs". As for the contestant's companion, Shahrukh was unaware that Venkateshwarlu was one word. He kept calling him Venkatesh Warlu and eventually, unilaterally decided to rechristen him as "Venky". But the anchor's patronising attitude truly came out when he mockingly offered a prize to viewers who could say "Venkatesh Warlu Putta" five times without faltering.

Shahrukh Khan must learn political correctness quickly. It is foolish to rouse the "atmagouravam" of the Telugu-speaking people. In case Shahrukh does not know, an Andhra with an equally "unpronounceable" name - Potti Sriramulu - set Andhra on fire with his fast unto death to secure a separate Telugu State. Another Andhra with an even more "unpronounceable" name - Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao - launched the Telugu Desam and ousted the Congress from power in that State in 1983. This he did after Rajiv Gandhi, like Shahrukh Khan, behaved inappropriately with a fellow Andhra - Mr Anjiah - who was then the Chief Minister of the State.

Shahrukh Khan's graceless conduct is in utter contrast to the great dignity and poise with which Mr Amitabh Bachchan anchored this programme earlier. I regard Mr Bachchan as the most evolved human being because life and professional experiences have purged his mind of prejudices and endowed him with sage-like qualities. That is why he made every contestant before him feel like a king. Delhi-bred "King Khan" must shake-off his prejudices if he is to emulate the real King of Indian Cinema.

Finally, a word about matrimonial ads. Every groom wants a "fair" bride and, therefore, products which promise to lighten the colour of the skin are much in demand across India and bear names which seek to reinforce the view that only those who are "fair" are "lovely". So, let us cut out this hypocrisy vis-à-vis Jade Goody's conduct by initiating measures that will make us a humane and tolerant society. We can make a beginning by stamping out stereotypes in Hindi cinema and television.

Last edited:
Northies could laugh at the color of the skin of South Indians but they would do well to emulate the value systems existing in South.

I am definitely not taking the moral highground & or generalising, but i do believe that parenting in South india is more "conservative" about certain things.

Recently was watching the relaunched "Kofee with Karan" hosted by Karan Johar in which the inagural session was 'graced' by Shah Rukh, Kajol & Rani. In the last segment, Karan Johar was chatting away with a bunch of children not more than 8-10 years old, boys & girls, from ultra rich / rich families. (my guess from the general tone, confident body language & clothes they were wearing). When asked by KJ on what they liked about the stars, i was apalled at the loose use of the word "sexy" time n again... Here was 8-10 year olds finding Kajol, Rani & Shah rukh - "Sexy" !!! I was squirming in my seat while the stars were laughing away merrily.... I am not sure such a thing would happen in South India.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm TN cinema is also "racist"

If one has noticed, there is a marked preference for fair-skinned women to be imported from the North as heroines in Tamizh movies. All the PMK/DMK/DK/ABCDK etc K parties should impose their Tamil only policies for heroines also instead of having celebrations for senior party members with imported North Indian dancers in skimpy clothes.

Analyse the reasons

If one has noticed, there is a marked preference for fair-skinned women to be imported from the North as heroines in Tamizh movies. All the PMK/DMK/DK/ABCDK etc K parties should impose their Tamil only policies for heroines also instead of having celebrations for senior party members with imported North Indian dancers in skimpy clothes.

In Tamil films, the hero corners most of the budget so what is left for others is on a shoe-string. So by importing fair skinned North indians, they are perhaps cutting down on make-up expenses for the heroines !!!!!

But anyways your point taken !!!

The height of racism is these heroines rubbing salt into the "wounds" by singing to our Tam hero - "Karuvapaiyaa Karuvapaiyaa !!!"

dear frnds,
we are also equally racist when it comes to north indians.
for us all north ind are seths- read marwari- and they are bimbos without brains(ha ha)!!
yes we salivate over gujju and panjabi heroines and build temples for them!!
so if there are some jokes about southies be graceful and try to laugh it off.
have not u ever laughed at sardar or pollack jokes?
in good humour yours eswaran

Kajol seems to have made it a habit to make inappropriate comments about south-Indians on public fora. The last time it happened in the Indian International Film Festival, Mammootty gave a beautiful in-promptu reply to her comments. Read about it here:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fr/2006/07/07/stories/2006070703030300.htm

Regarding looks & complexion, I request one and all to go through V.Ramachandra Rao's articles on Ethnology (with illustrations) here. This gentleman appears to me as very unbiased and knowledgeble in his analysis:

http://indculture0.tripod.com/howtheylooked.htm

If you have time, please go through his roots pages also, here:

http://indculture0.tripod.com/origins.htm

Navy-Eswaran,

Yes, I would laugh at a joke spoofing south-Indians once, twice, thrice, ten-times, but not if it is being monotonously repeated day in and day out.

Last edited:
racism

There is another point here, there is a marked difference between south indians raising their kids. Also, here a sense of pride is not inculcated in kids. Therefore, the kids also feel that the community is very meek and feminine. The tamil brahmin community is slowly and slowly becoming feminine with no pride but lods of music and everything else. And then...., when somebody says something, insted of replying back, we create these sob stories about facing racism:nerd:

Worth mentioning here is the marathi community, where there are lods of lower class and blue coller employees, but community prides itself.

guys i think the need for the hour is to first stop the prejudices shown by dk/pmk/dmk and non-brahmin tamils against fellow tamils just because they are veggies and brahmins.
Also their prejudice is only agianst brahmin males and they go behind fair brahmin women.
Perhaps they will understand what is prejudice only by experiencing what people like shah rukh do to them. So i am not saying anything here and will remain neutral. My priority is against prejudice shown by junk like dmk/pmk/dk.
Of course i do agree that since they only endorse non-brahmin heroes in tamil movies, they must be told to like wise enforce that only tamilian non-brahmin women should act in tamil movies. I am all for it. Also they should desis from showing anything bad about brahmins or if they want they need not show anything about brahmins whom they say are non-tamils anyway and so i dont understand why such a character should be there in a tamil movie.

Last edited:
The point of this thread is to understand the hypocrisy of Indians, especially North Indians, who whine about racism in the west, but give similar treatment to their own back home. This raises some important questions such as:

#1 If North is so antagonistic, why shouldn't South Indians demand a separate homeland? If Muslims can get one, why can't South Indians, whose claims are more legitimate?

#2 If Kashmir or some Northern part of India suffers at the hands of Islamic terrorirsts, why would South Indians give a flying flip?

#3 This behavior of Northies, unfortunately, reinforces dravidian claims vis-a-vis Brahmins and the rest.

#4 Makes India look like a joker nation in front of the world. Complain about racism in the west, and practice racism in the your backyard!:flame:

#5 Reinforces stereotypes on caste system and related social ills.

#6 May give birth to South Indian-Muslim/Christian Unity to destroy North. Farfetched, I know, but anything's possible.

Reasons

Some of the reasons why NIs always think lowly of SIs are :

a) NIs are great settlers - They move into a place, make themselves seen & heard. SIs are by nature largely sober, docile guys.

b) NIs are extroverts while SIs are shy and don't easily mingle in the Society. More evidence - if you see the Sales & marketing functions of large enterprises it will be "normally" dominated by NIs while "backoffice" Finance is the domain of the SIs. (SIs are generally good with numbers)

c) NIs are born "entreprenuers" and "leadership" comes somewhat "naturally" to them. SIs are generally more of "loyal" followers

d) NIs are generally more upwardly mobile.

e) NIs are self-indulgent. They don't mind spending money for a quality life. SIs are generally conservative with money & saving comes first. You will find a lot of simple dressed SIs who are multi-millionaries but even an average NI is a bindaas guy

f) On an overall basis perhaps because of better "vidya", "vinayam" comes naturally to SIs. This extends to a situation where even if he knows, SI keeps quiet - either due to 'namakkedhukku vambu' or 'sonna namba thalaila vandhu vizhum'. So SI hides his personal self behind a veil of simplicity which results in a general mis impression about his abilities.

Having said all this, there is no future for India without SI. I am not saying this out of any prejudice but the fact that future India growth is going to be a "Services" led growth and not "manufacturing" led. SI is the heart of knowledge and has a very large talent pool. Growth cannot happen by excluding SI.

Whether we should ask for a seperate SI ? I am not so sure !!!!!. I guess we should "join" hands now and strengthen the nation rather than making one hurdle in the path to progress. There will be a power shift soon & theen we can have our piece of cake & eat it too.....

NIs are perhaps making the same mistake as "some" brahmins did long long ago in suppressing natural talent but eventually talent will come out with flying colours.

Some of the reasons why NIs always think lowly of SIs are :

a) NIs are great settlers -

Etc. etc. And Muslims may come up with their own reasons as to why they think lowly of Hindus, whether North or South. Would that be acceptable?:thumb:

if southindians get a separate homeland , then pmk / dmk will do more mischief than now. so much for southindian separate land

i have heard even keralites stereotype tamils. they call as paandis or annachis or some other name. kannadigas callus kongas which is a deregatory term it seems. ti am not sure what telugus call tamisl - i think it is aravams.

the point is these stereotypes exist everywhere, like jokes about irish in england for instance. But these should not cross a limit and should not cloud ones' judgement.

But the real thing whcih all indians need to fight now is any sort of prejudice, especially if it is done in education and employment -- public spheres.

To me a caste, religion etc are private affairs and we have seen that these cannot be eliminated as these are being endorsed by even the so-called "backward" and "most backward" castes. Caste means more like customs followed like diet, worship, rituals etc. So i really dont want to force a castless society on anyone. All I care is when these things surface in public sphere which causes th erift in the society.
It is like this -- I dont care what soap you use in your home or who are your friends and what sort of a drink you take or what vehicle you want to drive.
But once you are in the public sphere, follow equality. Dont try to drive in the right on indian roads while the rule is drive in left for instance.
So there should be a clear-cut demarcation betwene private and public spheres. Since reservation is clearly a gross violation of this idea, I am focussing currently only on that and i suggest everyone remove the greatest evil first and then look into other things.

dear sirs,
i have spent major part of my life outside tamilnadu. my education and employments have all been in north india. i have never felt as an alien as ifeel when inTN.
i feel i am different only in TN or am i being made to feel different by our own dark brothers. pl let me know?
regards
eswaran

i have heard even keralites stereotype tamils. they call as paandis or annachis or some other name. kannadigas callus kongas which is a deregatory term it seems. ti am not sure what telugus call tamisl - i think it is aravams.

the point is these stereotypes exist everywhere, like jokes about irish in england for instance. But these should not cross a limit and should not cloud ones' judgement.

But the real thing whcih all indians need to fight now is any sort of prejudice, especially if it is done in education and employment -- public spheres.

To me a caste, religion etc are private affairs and we have seen that these cannot be eliminated as these are being endorsed by even the so-called "backward" and "most backward" castes. Caste means more like customs followed like diet, worship, rituals etc. So i really dont want to force a castless society on anyone. All I care is when these things surface in public sphere which causes th erift in the society.
It is like this -- I dont care what soap you use in your home or who are your friends and what sort of a drink you take or what vehicle you want to drive.
But once you are in the public sphere, follow equality. Dont try to drive in the right on indian roads while the rule is drive in left for instance.
So there should be a clear-cut demarcation betwene private and public spheres. Since reservation is clearly a gross violation of this idea, I am focussing currently only on that and i suggest everyone remove the greatest evil first and then look into other things.

i agree.

Couldn't agree more with Kashyap. An occasional joke here and there about Telugus or Tamils or North Indians is fine. It works as a release vent for tensions that arise during the process of mutual adjustment. One should not read too much into it.

On the other hand, some individuals can be boringly (and insultingly) repetitive in these things. Tunnel-vision and poor adaptive capacity are their hall-marks. For example, my Punjabi land-lady in Delhi always used to harp about how S.I.s nod their heads vigorously during conversations, eat with their hands, wear lungis and Hawai slippers, don't wear sweaters even during winters (she forgot that temperatures are not that low in the south during winters) etc. According to her, Punjabis always eat rich food, whereas S.I.s eat, "Wahi Sambar, Rasam..." (she knew only about these S.I. dishes). According to her, even the Sambar, Dosas & Idlis taste better when they are made in Punjabi households, than in S.I. homes. She could not pronounce a single S.I. name properly, and would refer to all of them as "Lingams" (that would be followed by a boisterous laughter), and would always pronounce Kerala as "Karela". Nevertheless, she would ridicule a S.I. neighbour for speaking to her in, "Aadhi, aadhi Hindi..." (forgetting that she could not even reciprocate the friendly gesture of that neighbour by speaking in "Aadhi, aadhi Tamil").

That year, a Keralite, Mr.Raju Narayanaswamy, topped the IAS, and I remember my land-lady grumbling that S.I.s are getting to rig the exams because P.V.Narasimha Rao was the Prime Minister. I remember the present Human Resources Development Minister, Arjun Singh (who is also the proponent of the new reservation policy for the OBCs) criticizing P.V.Narasimha Rao for "south-centred policy" (P.V. announced the creation of couple of industries and educational institutions in the south). Arjun Singh forgot that for 'n' number of years, new industries and educational institutions were invariably created only in the cow-belt, and 1/8th of the G.D.P. of the country went to three States of the cow-belt.

But we need not take all this to our heart. Let us laugh at the stupidity of such individuals (and not N.I.s or Punjabis etc.)

Last edited:
dear sirs,
i have spent major part of my life outside tamilnadu. my education and employments have all been in north india. i have never felt as an alien as ifeel when inTN.
i feel i am different only in TN or am i being made to feel different by our own dark brothers. pl let me know?
regards
eswaran

????
I didn't know us Brahmins were fair-skinned. Most Brahmins have the same complexion, as do our 'dark brothers.' Aside from very few, Brahmins are almost as dark as dravids, thus distinct from Northies who have a lighter color because they were raped by muslims/turks and the rest for thousand years.

And priding themselves on their 'acquired skin color', they're now taking it out on dark SIs. That's the central issue, not personal views as to whether auto drivers in SI discriminate against Brahmins, or what else not.

That's the whole point. One wonders whether there's a thing called "Indian" at all, or whether it's a motley crowd of diverse races, cultures etc.:der: If so, how can "Indians", whoever they are, come together and fight what you call social ills, whatever the department? Is it time to recognize India as an artificial entity put together by vested interests?

But we need not take all this to our heart. Let us laugh at the stupidity of such individuals (and not N.I.s or Punjabis etc.)

Then please don't get angry if peryar and other dravida thugs smash our idols, call brahmins names, make fun of us in the movies. Please laugh at MF Hussain as he strips our deities. Also, make sure you laugh at the stupidity of Christians who call Krishna a devil, playboy, whatever.:eek:

So r u suggesting to partition India.. It will make things worse...

That's the whole point. One wonders whether there's a thing called "Indian" at all, or whether it's a motley crowd of diverse races, cultures etc.:der: If so, how can "Indians", whoever they are, come together and fight what you call social ills, whatever the department? Is it time to recognize India as an artificial entity put together by vested interests?

I do not knwo what your motive is -- if you think you want to partition india for these reasons -- then it is definitely wrong. And India is not an arbitrary entity as being sugested by you , that way even UK is , paksitan is (even worse) and even US is.

we are not here to define indianness or tamilism or southindianism or teluguism. Our goal is to ensure equality in public spheres-- education and employment -- meritocracy in these not nepotism, casteism or regionalism.
once that is ensured rest all prejudices will vanish or be relegated to the private sphere. Till then in the private sphere you can have your prejudices or make silly joke about me or my community but i dont care. But it should not be brought to public sphere in terms of selection for education or sports or job whatever. Also your prejudices should not be portrayed in poppular media. Having said that I dont knwo why we shoud define indianness at all.
When the goal is about equality between hiuman it does not matter who you are -- indian or british or freench or american or whatever. This is what i have been saying. People need not leave their whatever-ness -- be it hindu or muslim or christian or dalit or pillai or reddy or southie or norhtie -- but they should not bring it to public shphere . If this is done , then equality is ensured and this can be practiced not jsut in India level but in global level so that the question of any ness does not come into picture in public.

Since reservation is where the prejudices have been brought into the public sphere -- I oppose that first before opposing any silly remarks made by some stupid guy about a person's name. It also needs to be censured but it does not mean we must secede the country as being suggested by you.

maruti,
what is your problem,come out in the open.
as for separatism etc,you start your own forum

If a person calling himself "maruti" is saying that it is time to recognize India as an articficial entity then I may have to think that it is actually time to recognize "maruti" ( the member name used in tamilbrahmins.com) as an artificial entity or name put on by mullah umr masquerading as "maruti". Am I right?
Folks watch out for any such masquerading.

If a person calling himself "maruti" is saying that it is time to recognize India as an articficial entity then I may have to think that it is actually time to recognize "maruti" ( the member name used in tamilbrahmins.com) as an artificial entity or name put on by mullah umr masquerading as "maruti". Am I right?
Folks watch out for any such masquerading.

I am offended by this.;) Seriously, you've misunderstood my intentions. I was simply trying to show that the "dravida agenda" wasn't the only divisive agenda out there. Rather, the behavior of Northies gives more credence to dravidian and related separatist movements. One has to understand the reason for Tamil resentment, rather than blame dravids and the rest. That's the central point of this thread. Which is not to say dravids are innocent. But you get the pic, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back