• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

On Vedantam

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nara

I don't want to single out Advaitam, so this thread. I hope everything can be questioned, so this forum.

All Vedantic traditions start with the premise that there is an entity called Brhman and then go on to describe that Brhman and its relationship with Jagat. I would like to examine this premise. Is this a reasonable premise? What is the supporting evidence?

namaste Nara.

Even as you raise this question about Brahman and the jagat, seeking supporting evidence for their (unified) presence, I think you need to first spell out your alternative premise, so we can compare and contrast them. Otherwise, you people would simply go on denying whatever is written in support, giving the (wrong) impression that the disagreement of those who oppose the premise establishes the reality of the universe and its conscious beings.

... I think you need to first spell out your alternative premise, so we can compare and contrast them.
Dear Saidevo, logically speaking, to discuss the validity of an already declared premise, spelling out an alternative premise is not required. The alternative, if you insist, is a willingness to be persuaded by valid evidence.

In any case, Saidevo, as you may have noticed, there is another meta discussion going on elsewhere and I am in the middle of that discussion. I am not sure whether I can engage with you here anymore. I am really sorry about the direction in which this is going. Hope to keep in touch with you by e-mail.

Cheers!

namaste Nara and others.

I am sorry about the directionless discussion going on in the other thread, and I hope that things will settle down soon to the best interests of everyone involved.

Just for the record here, Nara, the premise of Brahman and the Jagat it appears as, are based on sound logic, rationaltiy and experience arrived at by the pioneers in the field, who have given us three paths to arrive at the realization in steps. Therefore, IMO, those who do not subscribe to the Vedanta, are hardly in a position to question--just for the sake of taunting in the name of debate--the validity of 'evidences' of the three AchAryas, which are valid enough to those who subscribe to them, and these subscribers need nothing to prove to those non-subscribers.

Thus, it boils down to the fact that a person who wants to question the premises of the Vedanta, should be in a position to propose an alternative set of premises--even if it is based on personal logic and opinion, specially for the reason that he/she does not subscribe to the traditioinal premises of the Vedanta.

If it is going to be a comparative debate about the premises in the three paths of Vedanta, it could be meaningful. On the other hand, if it is going to be a debate between believers and non-believers, it should start with two sets of alternative premises, or else it can only be a wasteful exercise, IMO.

Last edited:
....Therefore, IMO, those who do not subscribe to the Vedanta, are hardly in a position to question--just for the sake of taunting in the name of debate--the validity of 'evidences' of the three AchAryas, which are valid enough to those who subscribe to them, and these subscribers need nothing to prove to those non-subscribers.
Dear Saidevo,

In the OP, I have stated the reasons for this thread, taunting is not one of them.

You are right about subscriber not having anything to prove, I agree. But, I don't agree that a debate on Vedantam can occur only among the Vedantees. These Acharyas have themselves debated with all sorts of people, though, these stories being part of hagiographies, the Acharyas always won these debates and the opponent immediately embraced the Acharya's religion.

I don't understand how you arrive at the conclusion that I must propose an alternative premise before the veracity of the premise of Vedantam can be examined. Formal debates only have two sides, the "Affirmative" side and the "Negative" side. It is never on the basis of two alternative theories. Perhaps the following two can take the place of the two alternatives you are wanting.

Alternative 1: The premise stated in OP is tenable
Alternative 2: The premise stated in OP is untenable

Cheers!

namaste Nara.

So you do not seem to have an alternative premise to brahman and jagat. You pretty well know that in the world of science, when a premise/theory/model/paradigm is debated for its flaws and faults, a more effective one is presented as an alternative. As examples,

• the theory of the atom and atomic models
Atomic Structure Timeline

• models of the universe:
Models of the Universe

• when the procedure-oritented programming (POP) paradigm was found limited, computer programmers came up with an object-oriented programming (OOP) paradigm as a more effective and realistic alternative. Programming paradigm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is in this context that I sought an alternative premise from you, when you question the existing one that gives a holistic view of God, man and universe.

Now, as per your proposal of debating the Vedantin's premise of brahman and jagat, since you (obviously) take the side that it is 'untenable', please state your views as to why and how the premise is untenable.

.....It is in this context that I sought an alternative premise from you, when you question the existing one that gives a holistic view of God, man and universe.

Saidevo, once again I request you to read the OP carefully. We have had a lot of discussion about Advaitam, its validity, its fallacies. Here, I was hoping to widen the discussion to other Vaideeka darshanas as well.

My own view on these matters is very well known -- it can be summarized as an agnostic one in the technical sense and an atheist one in all things practical. So my own premise is there is no God and there is only jagat. I have no hesitation discussing this further, but I was hoping for a discussion on the point I raised in OP.

Now, as per your proposal of debating the Vedantin's premise of brahman and jagat, since you (obviously) take the side that it is 'untenable', please state your views as to why and how the premise is untenable.
My point is there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove the premise of brhman, that is why it is a premise. This is not my view, it is the view of Acharyas. The only authority based on which a Brhman can be asserted is Shruti/Vedas. For the Vedas to have unassailable authority and yet avoid circular logic, it had to be apauruseya, which is simply asserted.

So, IMO, there are two ways in which this discussion can proceed, (i) accepting the apaurusheyatvam of Vedas as given, in which case we need to examine whether A, or VA, or D, is faithful to the Vedas, or (ii) not accepting the assertion that the Vedas is a source of perfect knowledge, in which case all Vedantic systems fall flat on their faces because Brhman can only be asserted, not proved.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
namaste Nara and others.

Nara, you said in post no.7:
"My point is there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove the premise of brhman, that is why it is a premise. This is not my view, it is the view of Acharyas."

It would be helpful for us to have the quotes in this regard from the three AchAryas for our reference here.

Incidentally, the dictionary definition of the term 'agnostic' says:
"a person who believes that human mind cannot know whether there is a God or an ultimate cause, or anything beyond material phenomena."

• What is curious about this definition is that it is ignorant of the fact that what it calls 'material phenomena' are also only the nAma-rUpa descriptions and narrations given by the human mind and they do not exist outside it.

• As I have been reiterating with the researches and discoveries of science, all knowledge and proof are only of the human mind, by the mind and for the mind. Therefore, it is incorrect, IMO to say that the human mind cannot know/experience the ultimate cause of this universe.

• Let us also remember that the human mind functions only the two states of jAgrat--wakefulness, and svapna--dreamful sleep, and is totally absent/dead in the state of suShupti--deep sleep. Thus, every day, we prove to ourselves that the Self in us is merged with the Absolute Reality in deep sleep. You may not accept it, but that is a personal, spiritual truth, we come across daily in life.

pramANas or sources of true knowledge

The pramANas or the sources of true knowledge as recognised by the several Philosophical Systems of India, are found summarised in a verse which runs as follows:

प्रत्यक्षमेकं चार्वाकाः कणादसुगतौ पुनः
अनुमानञ्च तच्चापि सांख्या: शब्दञ्च ते उभे ।
न्यायैकदर्शिनोऽप्येवम् उपमानञ्च केवलम्
अर्थपत्ताग्रा सहैतामि चत्वार्य्याहुः प्रभाकराः ।
अभावषष्ठान्येतानि भट्टा वेदान्तिनस्तथा
सम्भवैतिह्ययुक्तानित्विति पौराणिका जगुः ।

pratyakShamekaM chArvAkAH kaNAdasugatau punaH
anumAna~jcha tachchApi sAMkhyA: shabda~jcha te ubhe |
nyAyaikadarshino&pyevam upamAna~jcha kevalam
arthapattAgrA sahaitAmi chatvAryyAhuH prabhAkarAH |
abhAvaShaShThAnyetAni bhaTTA vedAntinastathA
sambhavaitihyayuktAnitviti paurANikA jaguH |

‣ The ChArvAkas acknowledge only one source of knowledge viz. pratyakSham--perception;

KaNAda and Sugata (Buddha) recognise anumAnam--inference in addition;

SAmkhyas add AptavAkya--trustworthy affirmation to the two mentioned above;

‣ the NyAyayikas do the same and also add upamAnam--comparison;

‣ the followers of PrabhAkarA recognise the above four along with necessary arthApatti--presumption as the fifth;

‣ the followers of BhaTTa and the Vedantists add anupalabdhi--non-preception as the sixth;

‣ and the PaurANikas further add saMbhava--implication, and aitihya--tradition.

Now, the question is, Nara, of the above pramANas, which are the ones that your agnostic mind and atheistic practice would be prepared to admit for knowledge of Brahman and jagat.

It is clear from the above that Vedanta admits all the six kinds of pramANas for knowledge and realization towards the Absolute Reality, and shabda--revelation, is a chief and independent pramANa among them.

If you are not in a position to appreciate the kinds of pramANas inadmissible to your mind, then all that is discussed using those pramANas would seem absurd to you.

Dear saidevo, greetings!

Nara, you said in post no.7:
"My point is there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove the premise of brhman, that is why it is a premise. This is not my view, it is the view of Acharyas."

It would be helpful for us to have the quotes in this regard from the three AchAryas for our reference here.

At the very outset of his Brhmma Sutra Bhashyam, in section 1.1.2, Adi Sankara takes extreme pains to establish that Scripture is the only source of true knowledge about Brhman. Here is a small section of what he says:
.... as Brahman is not an object of the senses, it has no connection with those other means of knowledge. For the senses have, according to their nature, only external things for their objects, not Brahman. If Brahman were an object of the senses, we might perceive that the world is connected with Brahman as its effect; but as the effect only (i.e. the world) is perceived, it is impossible to decide (through perception) whether it is connected with Brahman or something else. Therefore the Sûtra under discussion is not meant to propound inference (as the means of knowing Brahman), but rather to set forth a Vedânta-text.
Expanding on Sutra, 1.1.3, Bhagavat Ramanuja in his Sri Bhashyam says the following:
Because Brahman, being raised above all contact with the senses, is not an object of perception and the other means of proof, but to be known through Scripture only;
From these we can see that the great Acharyas of these traditions held that Brhman and the nature of Brhman can only be established through Vedic texts, not through perception and anumanam.

So, the starting point of all Vedanta traditions is the premise that there is a Brhman, and this is asserted on the basis of Scripture only. I am not sure about other traditions, but between A and VA, there is a sharp difference between of opinion about the other two pramanas, namely, pratyaksham and anumanam. For VA, these are valid sources of knowledge also, and therefore, they claim that the esoteric Scripture must be interpreted without doing injustice to pratyaksham or anumanam. However, they still have to rely on the notion that the words of Scripture are inerrant. Citing apaurusheya as the basis for this assertion is, IMO, quite lame.

On the other hand, A is obligated to deny the validity of pratyaksham as it so readily contradicts their main thesis that jagat is unreal, a mere illusion. Further, to A, any anumanam based on pratyakshm, which is hopelessly flawed, is suspect as well. So, A wants to rely only on Scripture. But, Bhagavat Ramanuja points out that this position is absurd, because, the knowledge of Scripture can be realized only through some sort of perception. If perception is fundamentally flawed and unreliable, what hope is there to understand Scripture properly?

The opinions most people express of A in this web site are not the nirvishesha, nirvikalpa A at all, they are almost always Visheha A, i.e. VA. Of course they don't recognize this and continue to claim it is A they are talking about.

Cheers!

namaste Nara and others.

Nara said in post #9:
So, the starting point of all Vedanta traditions is the premise that there is a Brhman, and this is asserted on the basis of Scripture only.

As indicated in my post #8, the logic in Vedanta admits all the six pramANas: pratyakSha, anumAna, upamAna, Agama/shabda/AptavAkya, arthApatti and anupalabdhi. The shruti pramANa is that of revelation--Agama/shabda/AptavAkya.

Here is an analysis of the Agama pramANa, found in the book Studies in Vedantism by Krishna Chandra Bhattacharyya. (downloadable at Studies in Vedantism : Bhattacharyya, Krishnachandra, 1875-1949 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive . I have given the section numbers for ready reference).

87. Knowledge is of two kinds: anubhava, readied through evidence (pramANa), which may be both true (when it is pramA] and false, but which is always something new, previously unattained ; and smRti or memory-knowledge which, however, is not something new.

112. vAkya, a sentence or series of sentences in which there is a principal one to which the others are subordinate, is said to be a pramANa or independent source of knowledge.

• When we say, a word means a thing, we do not mean that the word reminds us of the idea of a thing. We may no doubt consciously pause to remember or visualise the ideas, but this remembering is not understanding the meaning of the word, any more than
any irrelevant idea, of which we are reminded by a word, is a part of the meaning.

• The word directly refers to the thing, expresses the thing, touches it (bRhadAraNyaka upaniShad 1.5.3) in a sense.

• With the same naivete with which we objectify our ideas in perception, we objectify the word. The free concept not only requires the name for its support but is identical with it, though transcending it.

• Just as the presentative and representative elements of perception are not only associated but identified, being covered by the same determination of the self and objectified by it, so too in conception, the same determination of the self gives the name and the concept an identical object-reference. This unity of the name and the concept works unconsciously even in perception.

113. The sentence at once refers to an objective relation. The moment it is employed (provided of course it is a complete sentence, satisfying certain conditions, to be explained presently) a belief is generated in something objective. So Mill argued against the conceptualistic theory of judgment that 'the sun is hot' does not mean that the idea of the sun is the idea of hot.

• The copula of a judgment is the self pointing necessarily to an object and the unity of the sentence is but this self clothed in language.

• The primordial objective reference of a judgment is a provisional belief, a belief, it may be, with a certain general cautiousness induced by experience; if it is only thought, it is at any rate continuous with knowledge. The mere absence of conflict with other evidence is sufficient to turn it into knowledge: we do not require a positive confirmation by other evidence.

114. The understanding or the self in judgments transcends judgments and points to the Ideas of the Reason or noumena. They are to be realised only in ecstatic intuition, but till that is forthcoming, the necessary thought of them must have some intuition-basis, viz., a name.

• Each noumenon demands its true expression, and as Schopenhauer remarked, a potent musical sound constitutes its direct objectification whereas other aesthetic symbols are mere imitations of its grosser objectifications.

• Such potent sound-symbols are supplied by the mantras, by such mystic syllables as the Om, the power of which is not to be judged by any a priori reasoning but only through the persistent attempt to realise them by devout intonation.

• A conventional word comes to mean a thing, to be provisionally identified with a thing, only through this necessary demand of the thing for its true sound-symbol.

115. The same result is reached in another way. Though every vAkya,as having a direct objective intention, has the appearance of impersonality, yet as it may be ambiguous or false and may have reference to phenomenal truth, a subjective personal element has also to be taken into account.

• It is only in true statements about the supersensuous that this personal element is wholly eliminated. The supersensuous, as has been already explained (Section 84), to be thought at all, must have been revealed.

• The Vedas claim to be the repository of all such true statements about the supersensuous; and whether the claim is allowed or not, the true revelation, wherever it is found, must have also the true form, and therefore the perfection or the sacredness of it must transfigure every sound (or letter) composing it.

117. Vedanta, however, holds that the system of sounds is not created but only manifested. When a letter is articulated it is not created but only manifested in sensuous form (dhvani).

• Whenever a sound is produced, we recognise it as 'that sound'. If we are to believe in this recognition, every distinctive sound-form must be taken to have a persistence, not as air-vibration, but as sound-form (in its immediacy, as sensuous objectivity).

• The manifestation alone is in time but the sound-form is eternal. Thus the eternity of 'names' (nAma-rUpa) and the impersonal reality of the Word are intelligible.

• The question of the primum cognitum naturally leads to the theory of the eternal pre-existence of all differences that come to be manifested (Section 42). The Word which is thus manifested to us is to be regarded as the Word existent in all previous cycles, now freely remembered and manifested by Ishvara. So VirAj at birth remembered he was Brahman ('aham BrahmAsmi' BR.up.}.

• To Ishvara, who is eternally free in intelligence and volition, all these remembrances before each creation (sRShTi) are one, and all these sRShTis are but the timeless actualisation of the same Vedas or objective Reason. To the individual, however, the manifestation in a particular cycle is new.

118. The Word is co-eternal with Ishvara, both being Infinite determinations of Brahman, and it is noticeable that the same word shakti or power is used to indicate both the relation of Ishvara to created (manifested) things and the relation of the Word (and therefore any word) to its objective meaning. In both cases, this shakti, though but mAyA investing Brahman (Section 52), is turned into an impersonal reality by the irradiation of Brahman.

119. The meaning of a word is two-fold, direct (shakya) and implied (lakShya). The object which is directly meant is that towards which the word functions through its shakti.

• A word refers to a thing through its jAti or class. The reference to the individual is not independent of the reference to the universal (substance and attribute being taken to be identical in Vedanta), except in cases where the name directly points to the thing.

• The shakti is there said to be svarUpa-shakti (non-connotative reference) but not jnAta-hetu, i.e., not functioning through reason, i.e., not applying to the individual because of its possessing certain attributes.

• No doubt the direct reference of a word to (or its identity with) the universal also is unaccountable, but it is still jnAta-hetu, i.e.; self-conscious reference and not a mere pointing out with the finger.

• Although essence and an existent partaking of the essence (visheShaNa and visheShya) are not different in reality, they are absolutely distinct aspects to the judging or discursive reason.

120. The reference to the individual through the universal is to be taken as only an implied reference or lakShaNA.

• This lakShaNA is not the function of a single word but of the whole sentence. The sentence reacts on each word that it contains.

• How is that possible? How do shakya and lakShya blend? Just as in perception, the concept unconsciously synthesises the intuition, so in a judgment the copular unity modifies each of the terms. 'A is B' is really equivalent to 'AB is AB'.

• The sentence is an organic unity and each word in it partakes of the common life. The judgment has a tendency to lapse into a concept. This is noticeable in eulogistic or abusive sentences which are not meant to be literally taken but express simply praise or abuse. Ultimately the sentence unity is only for the knowledge of particular objects, and the members of this unity, the concepts, also refer to them.

121. Not every combination of words, however, constitutes a true sentence, but only such as has the conditions of AkAmkShA, yogyatA, Asatti, and tAtparya.

• These might be roughly translated as 'syntactical connexion' (the mutual demand of the essential parts of a sentence for one another, as the demand of a verb for its subject, of a transitive verb for its object, etc.),

‣ 'compatibility of meaning' (of parts of the sentence),

‣ 'proximity of the parts,' and

‣ the 'objective intention.'

• The abstract assertive form of a sentence is determined by AkAmkShA, as the self thinks of object through the categories, though sometimes the assertive form appears almost in its purity as in the appositional construction (abhedAnvaya) 'this pot is a blue pot,' where there is no AkAmkShA ('syntactical connexion' therefore is too wide a rendering).

‣ This assertive form, determinate or otherwise, may be perfect, though there may not be compatibility of meaning, as in 'this square is round.' This compatibility of meaning is what is ordinarily called consistency, though it has a material aspect, too, for in one sense even a self-contradictory sentence is conceivable through the prepositional form.

Asatti or the proximity of the parts has reference to the articulatory or written form of a sentence rather than to the thought-unity, though this form is but the expression of the unity.

‣ It is that which makes us understand omitted words in elliptical constructions and unites the direct meaning of the words of a sentence with their implied meaning.

tAtparya is the capacity of a sentence to produce objective knowledge. It is not the subjective intention of the person uttering the sentence, though in cases of ambiguity the subjective intention has to be taken into account.

‣ It is the objective intention, which, in cases of ambiguity or the like, is not contradicted by the subjective intention.

‣ So a true sentence, even when uttered by one not understanding or misunderstanding it, has an intrinsic tAtparya.

• If yogyatA be the formal compatibility of meaning, tAtparya is compatibility in a material reference, the unity of the sentence and the corresponding objective relation. There might be higher unities, too, but these go beyond the sentence form.

122. The first thought roused by a sentence may be one of doubt or misunderstanding; should it then be said that the objective knowledge produced by a sentence is dependent on a prior belief induced by other evidences?

• No, says Vedanta; a sentence by itself has the objective reference. The knowledge of the objective relations through other pramANas may no doubt remove doubts and misunderstanding, but is not necessarily demanded by the sentence.

• The sentence shines by its own light. The ascertainment of the meaning of a sentence, however, may be aided by the knowledge of the topic through other evidences, as in the case of sentences having secular reference.

• In the case of revealed texts, however, the meaning is evolved through mImAMsA of the texts themselves, i.e., through their mutual criticism and not through any extraneous pramANa; for no other pramANa can determine of the super-sensible.

Dear saidevo, I was expecting a serious but enjoyable exchange, but you have given me a huge big homework :), without even attempting to address the main question I posed. It would be easier for me to understand your view if you would present it in a summarized manner, with only links to source materials. It is laborious if all that is presented is just a long list of source materials. Hope you would oblige.

As indicated in my post #8, the logic in Vedanta admits all the six pramANas:
Saidevo, the above is true only for Advaita Vedantam. All the six may be used within the Advaitin circle, but not when the argument is outside that circle. For instance SVs accept Dhivya Prabhandam as valid pramana for VA, equal in validity to the Vedas. But, they cannot cite DP as pramana for VA outside the SV circle.

Across the various schools of Vedanta, only three pramanas are accepted as valid, and they are Pratyaksham, anumanam, and sabdam. Here, sabda pramana includes only Prastana Thriyam, not agamas, as all agamas are not accepted by all schools. Also, when it comes to knowledge about Brhman and the nature of Brhman, there is only one valid pramana, and that is strictly Shruti -- Vedas.

It is interesting that Advaitam rejects pratyaksham and anumanam as valid pramana for what they call "true" knowledge. Otherwise, what we see all around us will have to be conceded as real. This is why Advaitam gets tied up in knots. Consider this -- (a) Shruti is the only source of "true" knowledge, (b) the only way to access that knowledge is through pratyaksham, but (c) pratyaksham is not a valid means of accessing "true" knowledge -- we have drawn a full circle and enslaved us inside it.

Cheers!

namaste Nara.

You said in post #11:
I was expecting a serious but enjoyable exchange, but you have given me a huge big homework, without even attempting to address the main question I posed. It would be easier for me to understand your view if you would present it in a summarized manner, with only links to source materials. It is laborious if all that is presented is just a long list of source materials. Hope you would oblige.

• It is incorrect to say that the extract I gave in post #10 was "without even attempting to address the main question" you posed.

‣ Your 'main question' was (as I understood it), 'how can shruti pramANa, which is only revelation, constitute valid proof, when it has to be taken only on belief and faith?

Here is what I can sum up of the extract I posted:

01. The extract clearly explains how a sound, word and sentence can be--and are--identical to its purport, without requiring any additional proof; any additional proof we might need to understand it are only external to it.

02. When the object referenced by it is physical, one can readily grasp it using empirical means of verification. But when it happens to be transcendental, the only way to grasp it through belief--vishvAsa, faith--shraddha, reasoning--mImAMsA and realization--AtmAnubhava--in that order.

• Although you consider it a 'homework', I would like to hear your views on the analysis made in the extract, culminating in the observation in the last two paragraphs.

• People in the 'Flaws in Advaita...' thread demanded quotes when Sravana made his observations which were considered personal. I too asked for a quote in this thread about your summary statement of the AchAryas' declaration that Brahman can be known only by the shruti-pramANa.

‣ Since I felt that my summary statements like the above may not be sufficient, I gave an extract, which is of course, tough to read and collate; and I am now asked to desist from long extracts and give only links and summaries. A strange world indeed! (Just kidding).

If you are in general agreement with the analysis of the extract, then we might settle that shruti pramANa being the only source of true knowledge is valid enough as a source of knowledge. We may then discuss about how to access that knowledge--through pratyakSham and other means.

Dear saidevo, Greetings!

Since I felt that my summary statements like the above may not be sufficient, I gave an extract, which is of course, tough to read and collate; and I am now asked to desist from long extracts and give only links and summaries
I think we may be able to find a happy median, between (a) one that is just personal opinions, a la Sravna, made up of unsustainable presumptions, and (b) a plethora of citations without making any specific argument. I appreciate your last post in which you have stated your position clearly.

‣ Your 'main question' was (as I understood it), 'how can shruti pramANa, which is only revelation, constitute valid proof, when it has to be taken only on belief and faith?
Well, yes, but this is somewhat incomplete. Let me state it in my own words as two interrelated bullet points.

• What is the supporting evidence for the premise common to all Vedantic traditions, namely, there is an entity called Brhman? (Please see OP)
  • Acharyas of Vedantic traditions state that Brhman and its nature can be assertained only through Shruti/Vedas (please see post #9). This means the whole Vedantic tradition is built on the foundation that Vedas are inerrant. What evidence do we have that everything said in the Vedas is true?

01. The extract clearly explains how a sound, word and sentence can be--and are--identical to its purport, without requiring any additional proof; any additional proof we might need to understand it are only external to it.
Even after reading the above several times I don't quite understand it. Are you saying that if the meaning of a sound/sentence is itself, then no additional proof is necessary? If so, this does not make any practical sense. Please give me an example.

02. When the object referenced by it is physical, one can readily grasp it using empirical means of verification. But when it happens to be transcendental, the only way to grasp it through belief--vishvAsa, faith--shraddha, reasoning--mImAMsA and realization--AtmAnubhava--in that order.
Yes, all of this starts with visvasa/faith. Faith is something that does not need any evidence. Next, you say, sincere effort built on this faith will, you claim, ultimately lead to realization (of what?). Well, this is just assertion, never been demonstrated, and I presume you will claim it cannot be demonstrated. This means you start with faith, and, after a lot of effort, end with something that has to be accepted only on faith.

BTW, this sequence of steps can be applied to the case of an Invisible Pink Unicorn (IPU) also. Start with the faith that this IPU exists. Then, try real hard, and then simply claim I experienced it -- no way to verify because an experience cannot be verified.

• Although you consider it a 'homework', I would like to hear your views on the analysis made in the extract, culminating in the observation in the last two paragraphs.
Like 01 above, I am unable to understand many of the points you have provided in the extract. But, the final observations seem to confirm the objections I started out with, namely, all this is just faith with no firm evidence whatever.

If you are in general agreement with the analysis of the extract, then we might settle that shruti pramANa being the only source of true knowledge is valid enough as a source of knowledge. We may then discuss about how to access that knowledge--through pratyakSham and other means.
This is the starting point for Vedantam, namely, shruti is the only source of what they claim to be true knowledge. There is no evidence to support this, and therefore, the whole of Vedantam (A, VA, D, etc.) is nothing but ruminations about an imagined object, like an IPU.

But, for the sake of argument if we are to start with the premise "Shruti is the only source of true knowledge", then without allowing for the validity of pratyaksham how can you access that assumed true knowledge?

Cheers!

namaste Nara.
You said in post #11:
Even after reading the above several times I don't quite understand it. Are you saying that if the meaning of a sound/sentence is itself, then no additional proof is necessary? If so, this does not make any practical sense. Please give me an example.

If you cannot 'quite understand' the analysis of the shabda-vAkya pramANa I gave in post #10, I cannot pretend to do better. Anyhow, this is how I understand it.

• Let us take a sentence like 'The sun is hot.' Grammatically, this sentence has a noun--a specific (the) object (sun), an adjective (hot)--which is a feeling/sensation, and an indication of time, present tense verb (is). The grammar rules and the structure of the sentence make it intelligible to one who reads it.

• How is the meaning of this sentence conveyed to the reader? You might say that it is done by prayatkSha (sun), and empirically (hot). Every human being arrives at the intended meaning of the sentence because of his/her familiarity/awareness of the object and action involved. The present tense verb (is) is significant and what makes the meaning objective. Empirical analysis of the sentence stops here.

• The philosophical analysis includes the human mind that forms both the sentence and its meaning. In Vedanta, manas--mind, is a subtle organ that goes out and takes the form of the object that the senses convey to it. In this case, does it mean that the mind expands to the size of the sun? No; I think this corresponds to what science has discovered: that the object seen by the eyes (sun in this case) is formed as an image in the retina, which is then understood by the brain. The sensation of hotness is also understood by the mind vicariously (which is pratyakSha, not anumAna).

• The point is that the first time the meaning is understood, it is by pratyakSha and thereafter the understanding is instantaneous, whether the sun is seen or not and the hotness is felt or not.

• In other words, the sentence 'The sun is hot' stands for its purport and is identical to it. It does not require any other external or additional proof. This, I think, is what the authors says about J.S.Mill arguing against the conceptualistic theory of judgment that 'the sun is hot' does not mean that the idea of the sun is the idea of hot.

• This is what I think the author means in section 113: The sentence at once refers to an objective relation. The moment it is employed a belief is generated in something objective.

• Notice the words, 'a belief in something objective is generated', which means that in the final sense, it is only the mind that makes all observations and the copula. The objective reality is readily understood when it is physical, but stays only a belief when it is trans-physical, until a personal realization is accomplished.

This is how the Vedic declaration tat tvam asi--the self is Brahman, stands for the truth it asserts, although its realization can start only with belief and faith.

The individual self thinks it is different and discrete from Brahman because of the mind. While the realization of physical truths stops with the mind, realization of the Self must necessarily be past the mind (or in other words, the mind has to expand and merge into the Absolute Reality of Brahman), which is a legacy of every jIva, although most individual selves don't take the trouble to try to enjoy its fruits.

The individual self thinks it is different and discrete from Brahman because of the mind. While the realization of physical truths stops with the mind, realization of the Self must necessarily be past the mind (or in other words, the mind has to expand and merge into the Absolute Reality of Brahman), which is a legacy of every jIva, although most individual selves don't take the trouble to try to enjoy its fruits.

Sri Saidevo -

I enjoyed reading your post and was resonating with you until I came to the end of this post.

First, I like the precision with which you have described and the references you quote to support your assertions which are easier to read relatively speaking only if one has captured the 'big picture' correctly already. (IMHO, it may not help address confusions if any with the big picture itself)

While some authentic books do describe what you say in the last paragraph with respect to mind and reality etc I find those descriptions tend to further confusion (at least it did for me initially).

Mind itself is Brahman in the sense that it does not have an independent existence from Brahman (which is the cause of everything). So I find descriptions such as 'mind has to expand and merge into the Absolute Reality of Brahman' (because it already is) not precise to say the least though I know what the intent of that description is.

Let me not intrude further in your dialog with Sri Nara :)

Regards

Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

• The point is that the first time the meaning is understood, it is by pratyakSha and thereafter the understanding is instantaneous, whether the sun is seen or not and the hotness is felt or not.

• In other words, the sentence 'The sun is hot' stands for its purport and is identical to it. It does not require any other external or additional proof.

[...]

This is how the Vedic declaration tat tvam asi--the self is Brahman, stands for the truth it asserts, although its realization can start only with belief and faith.

It seems we have no disagreement at all. "The sun is hot" is already proved by pratyaksham and therefore, that statement stands on its own thereafter, even when the sun is not seen as in night time or covered by clouds. However, Vedic declarations, such as "tat tvam asi" will have to be taken just on faith. This is what I was saying, not only that, this is what Acharyas have said as well.

Cheers!

p.s. I still don't get what you mean by "identical to it" in the statement, "The sun is hot' stands for its purport and is identical to it." I can understand the first part of the statement, i.e. "The sun is hot stands for its purport." But, I don't understand what is meant by "The sun is hot' is identical to it". May be I am a dunce, but, identical to what, identical to what the statement is saying? If so, that I don't understand what the significance is.

Also, language is a medium through which thoughts are expressed. So, a statement in a language can at best convey a thought, it cannot be identical to the thought, neither can it be identical to the way the statement is understood by others. But this takes us away from the main topic that Vedantam is fatally flawed because it is built on unverifiable faith, so are all religious doctrines.

namaste shrI tks.

You are--or any member is--not at all intruding by contributing to the discussions in this thread. Nara has raised an issue which I am seeking to address with what I happen to know and read. The discussion could be livelier and more meaningful with more members participating and focussing on the subject.

• As you have rightly said, mind has no independent existence, so in this sense it can be considered as Brahman, because as the mahAvAkya goes, sarvaM khalvidaM brahma--All of this is brahman (Chandogya upaniShad 3.14.1).

• But then mind is only matter, albeit subtle matter, so it cannot be Brahman, because Brahman is consciousness--prajnanam brahma (aitareya upaniShad 3.3). Further, the mahAvAkya tat tvam asi (Chandogya upaniShad 6.8.7) identifies only the individual self--not the mind--with Brahman. So, what is the relationship between Brahman and the mind? It is explained by the author of panchAdashI, which I have posted here:
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/philosophy-traditions/3842-advaita-practical-life.html#post41829

However, the mind is the only and final means to Self-Realization. Even the Self-Realized jnAnis have a mind, known as shuddha manas.

• In the waking state, the field of vision of our physical eyes acts like a horse's blinds--kaDivALam, and dominates the mind. With the eyes shut in the dream state, the mind behaves like a wild horse whose blinds are removed. In the deep sleep state, the mind dies away and merges with its source which is Brahman, and the experience is recorded in its chitta as a vague feeling of peaceful sleep.

While we thus live our existence in the three states, and realize the Self only by losing our mind in the deep sleep state, the Self-Realized yogi always exists in the turIya state, keeping his mind in tact, thus, as Nisargadatta Maharaj says, knowing his other three states of existence as he passes through them.

namaste Nara and others.

I have been reiterating that all knowledge and proof are only of the human mind, by the mind and for the mind. You have been either ignoring or evading consideration of this vital aspect of the truth. Whatever the facts of physical science, please tell us what does the human mind mean to an agnostic, specially with reference to its description in our shAstras.

• You say that a statement like 'The sun is hot' is proved by pratyakSham at all times and to all the people, and I gladly agree. But would you agree that this statement is still a belief in something objective, because it is only the mind that makes all observations and the copula?

• If you don't believe that the statement 'The sun is hot' is based on belief--an objective belief at that--what about the statements 'The rising sun is red', 'The setting sun is orange', 'The noon sun is white'? These three are also statements based on pratyakSha. Are they statements based on belief or proven facts?

• If all these statements about the sun are proven facts, then the sun must be a red--white--orange, large--little disc, seen travelling from east to west on the sky, as our pratidina pratyakSha anubhavam--every day direct experience, tells us.

• What about the scientific discovery, arrived at by anumAnam--inference, and proved in pratyakSham--direct sight, by photographs, that the sun is actually a conglomeration of gases burning under the influence of nuclear fusion and fission and emitting its light and heat thereby? Would you agree when I say that even this statement--scientific, empirical and objective--remains as an objective truth only up to a certain level, beyond which it becomes nothing more than an initial belief, like the statements about the atom model?

• These examples indicate that pratyakSham and anumAnam are not ultimate, proven sources of knowledge, even in the physical plane. The physical eyes can deceive, and so can the subtle mind.

• It is in this same spirit of common belief with the examples about the sun, that the Vedic statement tat tvam asi--the self is Brahman, has to be taken. Unlike the statements about physical facts which keep changing, passing from an objective truth now to a state of earlier belief, the Vedic statement about Brahman and the individual self being identical, never changes, because it is the ultimate truth of Absolute Reality.

• Curiously, in both cases of physical and metaphysical truths, it is the same mind, which is the means of belief and verification, of the passing states of knowledge through the different levels of realities, using pratyakSham and anumAnam for obtaining empirical knowledge, and all the six sources for obtaining the true and holistic knowledge about the big picture.

• What the AchAryas teach us is that the premise of Brahman has to be taken on faith from the Vedic statements, but one who is intent on verification has the means to realize it by becoming identical with it.

In what way is this different from the premises asserted by statements of physical knowledge, which are supposed to be truly objective at their highest empirical levels, but only taken on belief and faith at the lower levels by those who lack the capability or facilities of empirical verification?

This is what I understand about the statement, "'The sun is hot' stands for its purport and is identical to it.", which I made, based on the Vedanta studies of the author KC bhattAcharyya, which he says in his Introduction are based on traditional texts:

• When we objectify into words, an idea to express the discovery of a truth, we mean the words in the statement to stand, not for our idea or discovery, but for the truth itself. Thus the words 'sun' and 'hot' in the above statement are identical to the real world entity sun and the sensation of hotness felt universally. This is similar to the mathetical expression A=B, where A and B stand identical to their values.

• To give another analogy, a TV program is only a reflection of its original but remains identical to the original in our statements about it. In the same way, the individual self is a reflection of its immanent Brahman and a statement such as tat tvam asi--the self is Brahman, is not just expression of an idea, but is identical to its source.

Just as a person cannot deny he has a brain, he cannot deny his self. So, the verification of the Vedic statement starts with an inquiry into the nature of the individual self through the neti-neti path.

Last edited:
namaste shrI tks.

You are--or any member is--not at all intruding by contributing to the discussions in this thread. Nara has raised an issue which I am seeking to address with what I happen to know and read. The discussion could be livelier and more meaningful with more members participating and focussing on the subject.

• As you have rightly said, mind has no independent existence, so in this sense it can be considered as Brahman, because as the mahAvAkya goes, sarvaM khalvidaM brahma--All of this is brahman (Chandogya upaniShad 3.14.1).

• But then mind is only matter, albeit subtle matter, so it cannot be Brahman, because Brahman is consciousness--prajnanam brahma (aitareya upaniShad 3.3). Further, the mahAvAkya tat tvam asi (Chandogya upaniShad 6.8.7) identifies only the individual self--not the mind--with Brahman. So, what is the relationship between Brahman and the mind? It is explained by the author of panchAdashI, which I have posted here:
http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/philosophy-traditions/3842-advaita-practical-life.html#post41829

However, the mind is the only and final means to Self-Realization. Even the Self-Realized jnAnis have a mind, known as shuddha manas.

• In the waking state, the field of vision of our physical eyes acts like a horse's blinds--kaDivALam, and dominates the mind. With the eyes shut in the dream state, the mind behaves like a wild horse whose blinds are removed. In the deep sleep state, the mind dies away and merges with its source which is Brahman, and the experience is recorded in its chitta as a vague feeling of peaceful sleep.

While we thus live our existence in the three states, and realize the Self only by losing our mind in the deep sleep state, the Self-Realized yogi always exists in the turIya state, keeping his mind in tact, thus, as Nisargadatta Maharaj says, knowing his other three states of existence as he passes through them.

Namaskaram, Sri Saidevo -

Thanks for providing the Mahavakya references and for providing rigorous definitions from another thread which was a joy to browse.

This interpretation: "But then mind is only matter, albeit subtle matter, so it cannot be Brahman, because Brahman is consciousness--prajnanam brahma (aitareya upaniShad 3.3)" cannot be correct since it would contradict the earlier Mahavakya "sarvaM khalvidaM brahma--All of this is brahman (Chandogya upaniShad 3.14.1)" since matter also does not have independent existence from Brahman.

It is possible through series of steps (Arthapathi) to establish that 'matter is knowledge (Nama-rupa)' and is revealed only in consciousness and therefore does not have independent existence and is Brahman too.

I understand (and agree) with all the other statements such as mind being the final means of Self-Realization. The rest of my posting below is really a PS -Post Script!

PS: In browsing your reference posts based on books by authors (who I am sure are highly educated) I do have the following set of observations which is partly a statement about how I approach learning and my biases.

I have a POV (and I can be corrected) that traditional descriptions in certain books actually limit clarity for a serious student who may not have a teacher . There are rare instances I have come across books written by people who are seemingly confused and rely on jargon which mask the actual teachings.

The reason I did not want to intrude on a specific dialog is because I am more curious how you conduct a dialog and my POV is that it is not possible to have meaningful dialog without establishing a common base of agreements on interpretations at a basic level.

I have posts elsewhere on this 'Adhikara and need to establish common understanding of the basics http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/6498-aryan-invasion-confusion-3.html#post81172.

Much of the knowledge that we gain is from correct context. In fact I (mistakenly :) ) provided reference to Shanti Mantra in one of the threads just to make a point as to how that simple Upanishadic statement includes all of the Vedanta but without context and meta-information it is not possible to have an understanding of the precision with which the Mantra captures the essence. It is a case of a part (a Mantra) in Upanishad contains the whole (Vedanta).

All of these teachings here require a dialog first as to 'why study and debate' in my view.

A set of precise definitions are great and again when one has the correct understanding it is a joy to be able to express ideas using the rich vocabulary established. However sometimes the definitions are implied to be presented as an explanation and in the process they tend to increase confusion. Often for example the term Maya which is a definition is often provided as an explanation. When a new term is added to our knowledge such as Nirguna Brahman there arises questions such as "How could a Nirguna Brahman (indivisible, attribute-less, unreachable as described in Nasadiya Suktam for example) have the Maya as an attribute which itself is another definition?" Even if things are clear to others I agonized many years ago over such questions not being able to reconcile the teachings and definitions. I don't have such confusions now (I think :) )

Let me provide another example regarding how clarity could possibly be sacrificed:

"chidAbAsa we said is the reflected consciousness of Brahman. Where does the reflection take place? In other words, what is the media of its reflection? The media is the intellect. Thus the reflection of Brahman in the intellect is known as chidAbAsa." While I appreciate the intent of what the author (whose work you have summarized from what I understand), I do think it is confusing because the language tries to elevate intellect as an independent entity since Brahman (cause of everything) in this description is seemingly taking a plane of reflection called intellect (which is also Brahman) for reflection. Such apparent explanations of defined terms can cause many to approach the subject with high degree of skepticism. There are other ways to understand the confusion of Jiva that I have come across and it is too detailed to provide an abstract here.

Also when a description is emphasizing in objectifying the definition of Brahman that causes more confusion since Brahman is the subject (and Object)!

Finally in this statement fragment :
"While we thus live our existence in the three states, and realize the Self only by losing our mind in the deep sleep state" I would like to say that in deep sleep there is really no realization given the state of ignorance in sleep but the subject-object differentiation is resolved.

Above are just my POV that I thought I would share.

Your response provided me a natural opportunity to browse other threads in this section and I enjoyed going over some of them.

Regards

Dear Saidevo, Greetings!

...I have been reiterating that all knowledge and proof are only of the human mind, by the mind and for the mind. You have been either ignoring or evading consideration of this vital aspect of the truth. Whatever the facts of physical science, please tell us what does the human mind mean to an agnostic, specially with reference to its description in our shAstras.
I try my best to not ignore or evade any point or argument made. But when I don't understand an argument or its relevance -- like the one highlighted in bold by you in the above -- I get stumped and don't know what to say. Be that as it may, let me try to answer your direct question as best as I can. To me, mind is what brain does, in other words it is the product of brain activity. IMO, shasthras are speculations ossified into doctrine/dogma.

• These examples indicate that pratyakSham and anumAnam are not ultimate, proven sources of knowledge, even in the physical plane. The physical eyes can deceive, and so can the subtle mind.
I readily agree that pratyaksham (P) and anumanam (A) are not perfect. This is why it is very likely that there will always be something that will remain mysterious and beyond our comprehension. This also means nothing definitive can be said about what we cannot comprehend.

• It is in this same spirit of common belief with the examples about the sun, that the Vedic statement tat tvam asi--the self is Brahman, has to be taken. Unlike the statements about physical facts which keep changing, passing from an objective truth now to a state of earlier belief, the Vedic statement about Brahman and the individual self being identical, never changes, because it is the ultimate truth of Absolute Reality.
Saidevo, you presented a long argument to show that P and A are not ultimate, and I agree. You then state the above as if this is the logical consequence of the argument you presented on P and A. Sorry, how reliable Vedas are as source of knowledge does not simply follow from the argument that P and A are not ultimate. So, you still need to show why Vedic statements like tat tvam asi must be taken as the ultimate truth, or, as even just truth of the non-ultimate kind.

• Curiously, in both cases of physical and metaphysical truths, it is the same mind, which is the means of belief and verification, of the passing states of knowledge through the different levels of realities, using pratyakSham and anumAnam for obtaining empirical knowledge, and all the six sources for obtaining the true and holistic knowledge about the big picture.
You argued that P and A are not always reliable because they depend on sense organs and what you call subtle mind, and I agree. By the same logic, all other sources of knowledge including Shruti must also be not always reliable as they also, like P and A, rely on sense organs and "subtle mind" to be understood. So, for you to now say that holistic knowledge about some "big picture" can be obtained through these sources is untenable.

Also, you have used a curious phrase, "different levels of realities". This is a special claim of only Advaita Vedanta, like the six sources of knowledge.

• What the AchAryas teach us is that the premise of Brahman has to be taken on faith from the Vedic statements, but one who is intent on verification has the means to realize it by becoming identical with it.

In what way is this different from the premises asserted by statements of physical knowledge, which are supposed to be truly objective at their highest empirical levels, but only taken on belief and faith at the lower levels by those who lack the capability or facilities of empirical verification?
Now, all this boils down to testimony as pramana. For the religious, testimony works on the basis of blind belief -- Acharyas say so and therefore must be believed. For Vaideekas, testimony is Shruti and Shruti is reliable only by faith -- Acharyas say so. BTW, the claims made in the Poorva mimamsa, which the Acharyas of Vedanta traditions assert as no less inerrant than Uttara mimamsa, are demonstrably false.

For physical knowledge, shall we say science, the testimony is the corpus of published works. This is reliable for common people without the capacity to verify or even understand science because of the following two reasons:

1. the scientific community is a competitive one that subjects all claims and theories to meticulous scrutiny with scientists vying with each other for fame and/or fortune; this scientific process offers a sure guarantee that spurious claims are exposed and discarded, sooner or later, and
  2. Science has uplifted human condition in all walks of life, produced many wonders all around us, for the common people to enjoy, which gives them the confidence to believe the scientific process.
So, faith in Shruti pramana only because Acharyas say so is just not in the same league as the faith of the common people in the scientific process as they see and enjoy the benefits science delivers each and every day all around.

...Thus the words 'sun' and 'hot' in the above statement are identical to the real world entity sun and the sensation of hotness felt universally. This is similar to the mathetical expression A=B, where A and B stand identical to their values.
:) you say the word "sun" is identical to the real sun, and that just does not make sense to me. In mathematics, when we say A = B, A is a variable and B is a variable, and when we prove A = B what we are saying is only that what A represents is equal to what B represents, not A and B are identical or the same thing.

In the same way, the individual self is a reflection of its immanent Brahman and a statement such as tat tvam asi--the self is Brahman, is not just expression of an idea, but is identical to its source.
Well Saidevo, this is Advaitam, and many Vedantins themselves say that it is a misinterpretation to say tat tvam asi means "self is Brhman". Whatever the case may be, you need to first show why the statement "tat tvam asi" itself is not merely a dogmatic assertion.

Cheers!

namaste Nara.

01. If you are stuck with the brain as the finality of human existence, I am stuck with the mind as the carrier of human existence between births. So, just as you take the published corpus of changing discoveries in the advancement of science on faith, I take the absolute reality of Brahman taught by the Vedas on faith. Therefore, there is no such thing that your position is better and mine inferior or vice versa.

02. Because of your position, you only have P and A to use, if you chose to verify your faith in science; whereas my position lets me use all the six sources of knowledge to verify my scriptural faith of absolute reality.

In addition, just as you believe that science will one day solve all the problems encountered in human existence and knowledge, I believe that the purpose and nature of human existence can be understood better by doing shravaNa, manana, nidhidhyAsanA of the mahAvAkyas. If happiness and peace are the common aims of life of people of your and my propensities, I think we have a better chance of finding them in life, if we traverse the spiritual path with faith and action.

03. If the testimony of physical knowledge can be reliably obtained from the corpus of published works of science, so can the testimony of trans-physical knowledge and the single absolute truth that is immanent in everything can be reliably obtained from the corpus of Hindu texts.

04. If the competitive edge of science guarantees cutting away the pieces of obsolete physical knowledge, so does the teachings of Hindu spiritual gurus help us prune and refine our mind in its pravRtti, in our journey towards the source.

05. If the wonders of science better the lifestyle of common people and give them time to enjoy life, the teachings of Hindu texts are aimed at enduring peace and happiness for the common people.

There is one difference, though: the wonders of science that we seek to enjoy glitter at the surface level and lose their lustre at some point in life; whereas the teachings of Hindu texts might seem lackluster, until one takes sincere efforts to follow them, and thereafter the seeker is sure find the truths shining brighter and brighter at deeper levels. The big difference is that the enjoyments of science are far easier to obtain than making efforts to attain peace and happiness by spiritual inquiry.

If statements like the above seem sentimental to people of your propensity, the way they are countered would seem naive to people of my propensity.

You said in post #20:
:) you say the word "sun" is identical to the real sun, and that just does not make sense to me. In mathematics, when we say A = B, A is a variable and B is a variable, and when we prove A = B what we are saying is only that what A represents is equal to what B represents, not A and B are identical or the same thing.

I don't understand the fuss behind the exactitude sought with reference to the statements 'The sun is hot', and 'A = B', both standing identical to their purport.

• 'A = B' is simply a mathematical expression of the sentence 'A is equal to B'. What if they are variables? If A represents one apple and B another, what is the problem in saying that 'in this case A and B are identical to the apples they represent, and since both are apples, they are identical in their kind'?

• Even if A represents an apple and B an orange, they are still identical to the essential quality of both being fruits, right?

Objective and life entities that appear diverse and discrete on surface layers, tend to be more and more identical in their essential qualities. For a brief discussion of this aspect, please read my post here:
A Philosophical Critique of Radical Universalism - Page 4 - Hindu Dharma Forums

The individual jIvAtma and the universal paramAtman are identical in their svarUpa lakShaNa--inherent nature, of sat-chit-Ananda. This identity is established in the mahAvAkyas like tat tvam asi, prajnAnam brahma and sarvaM khalvidaM brahma. These statements, however, need to be taken on faith until one strives to verify its truth intellectually and realize it experientially.

Last edited:
.... So, just as you take the published corpus of changing discoveries in the advancement of science on faith, I take the absolute reality of Brahman taught by the Vedas on faith.
Dear Saidevo, Greetings!
Unfortunately, you have ignored the questions I raised in post #20. One of them was the untenability of Shruti given you have argued eloquently that P and A are unreliable. Yet, you continue to assert your faith in it!!

Your general argument now seems to be, in essence, "yes, mine is blind faith, but so is yours". I already dealt with this false equivalency in post #20. Let me state it again in a slightly different way now.

When it comes to science, the scientists do not invoke faith, if they do, they cannot be scientists. They have to carryout experimentation and show why something is true, or something is false, which other scientists must be able to replicate. They refrain from making any definitive statements about things that they are not able to prove or disprove. Faith is needed only on the part of common people and that too only due to their inability to understand and conduct the needed experimentation themselves. In other words, science itself is not based on faith in some supernaturally delivered knowledge.

Also, the faith required from the common people is not a blind one, it is based on a long track record of enjoying the benefits of science. Today, even the great religious leaders rely on scientific advancements in their day-to-day lives. We see that all the religious heads have abandoned many traditional practices and taken to using a myriad of electrical and electronic devices, IC engines, modern science-based medicine, etc. All of this is everyday proof to everyone, even the most commonest of common persons, that science works. The faith they place on science is not a blind one.

In contrast, in the arena of Vedanta, blind faith is the very foundation upon which the system is erected. Even the great Acharyas who founded/expounded these different Vedantic schools say that one has to rely strictly on Shruti and its inerrantness for ascertaining Brhman and its nature. If this is not blind faith, nothing is. Also, this blind faith is required not just on the part of the followers and disciples, but even from those who are supposed to be the founders and intellectual guardians of the different systems.

The mathematical A = B argument in support of Jivatma = Paramatma, is based on the supposition that there is something called Brhman. The very purpose of this thread is to show there is no evidence to accept this supposition as fact. So, trying to prove Jivatma = Pramtma by giving a mathematical analogy of A = B is akin to arguments about an IPU whose existence is no more than a baseless assertion.

Cheers!

namaste Nara.

01. If you are stuck with the brain as the finality of human existence, I am stuck with the mind as the carrier of human existence between births. So, just as you take the published corpus of changing discoveries in the advancement of science on faith, I take the absolute reality of Brahman taught by the Vedas on faith. Therefore, there is no such thing that your position is better and mine inferior or vice versa.

02. Because of your position, you only have P and A to use, if you chose to verify your faith in science; whereas my position lets me use all the six sources of knowledge to verify my scriptural faith of absolute reality.

In addition, just as you believe that science will one day solve all the problems encountered in human existence and knowledge, I believe that the purpose and nature of human existence can be understood better by doing shravaNa, manana, nidhidhyAsanA of the mahAvAkyas. If happiness and peace are the common aims of life of people of your and my propensities, I think we have a better chance of finding them in life, if we traverse the spiritual path with faith and action.

03. If the testimony of physical knowledge can be reliably obtained from the corpus of published works of science, so can the testimony of trans-physical knowledge and the single absolute truth that is immanent in everything can be reliably obtained from the corpus of Hindu texts.

04. If the competitive edge of science guarantees cutting away the pieces of obsolete physical knowledge, so does the teachings of Hindu spiritual gurus help us prune and refine our mind in its pravRtti, in our journey towards the source.

05. If the wonders of science better the lifestyle of common people and give them time to enjoy life, the teachings of Hindu texts are aimed at enduring peace and happiness for the common people.

There is one difference, though: the wonders of science that we seek to enjoy glitter at the surface level and lose their lustre at some point in life; whereas the teachings of Hindu texts might seem lackluster, until one takes sincere efforts to follow them, and thereafter the seeker is sure find the truths shining brighter and brighter at deeper levels. The big difference is that the enjoyments of science are far easier to obtain than making efforts to attain peace and happiness by spiritual inquiry.

If statements like the above seem sentimental to people of your propensity, the way they are countered would seem naive to people of my propensity.

Namaskaram, Sri Saidevo:

I applaud how well you are conducting this 'debate' with sincerity. I thought I will share a few comments given my thinking all along that this or such debates here will not go much further without some pre-requisites in place :)

In my understanding, study of Science and the associated discoveries are not contradictory to what is taught in Vedanta since Vedanta addresses a subject matter not covered by Science and does not contradict science. To state this even more strongly topics covered by Vedanta cannot be covered by any science and this fact can be understood by series of reasoning steps. As a matter of fact, in my understanding, scientific discoveries continue to validate the Vedic vision.

In the past in the 'General Discussion topic area' I found that a few jumped on any 'reference to Science' when talking about Vedanta with critical comments revealing their ignorance of Vedanta and their personal bias. I was even surprised by the 'Jalra' support by others supposedly interested in honest debates. So my statements below are shaped by my minimal experience in this forum only. This is not babbling on my part wanting to see subject of Vedanta somehow glorified which does not need any defense.

Vedanta teaches about ultimate reality there is and a specialized knowledge area of this apparent reality such as Science is not at all contradictory to what is the universal truth. To understand this but not believe this one needs patience, shraddha and ability to process abstraction similar to those abilities required in any advanced science and engineering field.

After reading many posts in this forum under various topic areas, I have come to learn and respect the notion in our tradition that Vedanta is a subject matter that should not to be taught to anyone that has not established pre-requisites of emotional maturity and has not earned the rights to debate. Attitude towards the subject matter is important too in my view for productive discussions.

As someone who has advanced degrees in Science and engineering and managed large organizations dealing with skeptics all my life and as someone who scrutinized the key Vedantic teachings with the same rigor I use to examine any scientific claim or model, I find that Vedanta while addressing subject matter not covered by science is as rigorous in the reasoning aspects as any application of scientific methods I have come across. I am still a student in the learning phase.

Let me make a few statements about pre-requisites for productive discussions and for insightful debates

1. Without establishing a goal ("why") one studies and/or debates topics such as Vedanta, in my view it is not possible to have a meaningful dialog. A collective monolog is always possible but it cannot be confused as a dialog. The goal cannot be simply to explore topics with 'scientific curiosity' which in my view is inadequate for meaningful understanding. Certainly, if the a-priori intent is only to prove that this 'mumbo-jumbo' preaches a system of beliefs that are detrimental to the progress of a society, then it is more likely to result in a set of useless monologs. This is my experience from reading other 'debates'. The book 'Science of Peace' that you introduced in another thread in my view for example alludes to the right context. In that sense it is a very useful book.

2. Even before establishing the 'why', it is necessary to establish a common understanding on 'what' Vedanta is to debaters since people in any open forum come with all kinds of experience and background. It is *not a Philosophy* and not like any subjects we study in school ( e.g., a subject like Botany) though that is how it is approached by most people, in which case discussions are bound to be less than satisfying.

3. In order for a debate to progress well, IMO there needs to be a few 'how to' rules of engagement be established. Opposing positions have to be declared upfront. It cannot work if one person proposes and the other person simply negates. Subject of Vedanta is not faith driven but requires Shraddha which does not translate to Faith. 'Andha Vishvasa' is faith since 'reasons' cannot play a role in any faith based discussions. Since this subject is about teaching and not preaching, without that Shraddha for debaters to truly want to understand what reality is, it is not possible to have useful discussions IMO.

When we were all born we were born ignorant. That is a fact and not a point of debate. Through passing of time, studies and life experience our body has become older and we have matured to differing degrees not associated with age. To say that a well-established teaching (that is also challenging common sense) is wrong as an initial position requires no special skills. In other words one cannot acquire ignorance since it is the state of the initial conditions. To learn only we need means of knowledge and the right attitude.

In reading science topics in an article written for laymen, let us say we come across the teachings of Einstein that 'Time is not absolute' and that experience and measurement of time in various frames of reference will be different. And that this difference in measured time does not have anything to do with mechanical properties of the clocks used. The easiest thing to do is to declare this as incorrect since it does not align with our experience. Either we have to accept this statement thinking that there are great scientists that have validated this understanding through analysis and experiments and that would require Shraddha on our part or we have to engage in full learning activity using all five means of knowledge to establish the truth ourselves.

By the way, all scientific studies require all five means of knowledge (Pratyaksham, Anumanam, Upamanam, Arthapathi, Anupalabdhi). All sciences and discoveries and all discoveries that are yet to be discovered and all inventions yet to be realized will only be by these five means of knowledge. This can be validated by studying progress in all currently known fields of studies.

There is one study - knowledge by which every other knowledge is understood - cannot be understood by only these five means of knowledge. This can be established by a series of reasoning requiring no faith. The question is - what is that sixth means of knowledge?

Acharyas assert that Shruthi is that sixth means of knowledge. Now this cannot be taken on face value - it requires Shraddha to study further but not blind faith. There are great many infrastructure building blocks needed before one can make a cogent analysis to see the truth of some of the Mahavakyas.

Sri Nara observed or critiqued earlier (follow link-reference in post #19 in this thread) - perhaps correctly - that I am dealing with meta-information only in any debates and not directly addressing a specific verse or question. That is absolutely on the mark in terms of the observation because in my view without right prerequisites, meta-knowledge, context and infrastructure it is not possible to understand even the simplest of the verses in the Upanishads or BG. For example the straightforward translation of Shantimantra is absurd and it does not require any intellect to critique or dismiss it. In fact to show why the essence of the entire Vedanta is asserted in that verse would require context, infrastructure and lot of meta-information.

Back in 1991 in USA, during President Clinton's campaign, his advisor and strategist James Carville coined a banner "it is the Economy, Stupid". In the context of these debates I would say the banner has to be "It is the Context and meta-information, fellow posters".

If someone were to give a 10 day course on the meaning of Shanti Mantra then they would take all 10 days for set up of the big picture, teach all the meta information, and context. In the last 30 minutes they would put the whole verse together and explain the meaning.

It is a legitimate question as to how one knows someone is not making things up in those 10 days given that all these verses are so cryptic and poetic. The answer is that if one has a big picture well understood then it is possible to see if the meaning and interpretation properly aligns with that big picture. Sri Nara's Pink Unicorn model will not fit here for example.

Now how does one get this big picture which is required to understand the verse itself which contains the essence of the whole big picture? You need a teacher, right attitude and answer the 'why' question posed earlier correctly :)

The most one can get from any forum or books in my view is to get to know what might exist as a reference and form initial interests.

My take is that if anyone thinks this is all blind faith then let them have their positions. If someone wants to really learn the truth then and only then there will be the effort and attitude to approach the subject properly. At that time productive discussions and debates will take place

Regards

All who care, greetings!

All Vedantic traditions, and others also, take for granted there is a self, different from mere tissue. This is long held as self evident, something like Rene Descartes "I think, therefore I am". All Vedantic traditions subscribe to this theory, long before Descartes was even born, that there is a substance that is consciousness, and it is called Chit. Different schools have different view of what this Chit really is.

"A" asserts that this Chit is the only reality, everything else is unreal, and that it exists without any second, not even a substratum in which this consciousness exists. In this case, what is this consciousness, conscious of? Since there is nothing else, it can only be conscious of itself. On the one hand, this is very unsatisfactory as it would be the very definition of narcissism, but on a more robust level, what evidence is there for this claim -- nothing, nada.

Next, VA -- VA argues that there is pure consciousness, it exists to have fun, aka bliss of two kinds, leela rasam and bhoga rasam. They weave an elaborate picture of Chit, Achit, Iswara, all of which is predicated on their interpretation of what they consider Scripture. The level of confidence one can have about this view is directly proportional to the level of blind faith in their Scriptures.

We are still left with the question, what is consciousness?

This is a difficult question to answer. We can say what it is not, but what it is, we can only speculate. We know it is not any of the body parts below our neck, not even the heart. SVs claim "Jeeva" resides in the heart. If that was so, what happens to the "Jeeva" when a heart transplant is performed?

So, we can safely speculate it must reside in the brain. Science has mapped brain into various component parts and have also gained basic understanding of the function of each of these parts. From scientific experimentation we now know that what we refer to as "consciousness" does not exists in the back of the brain called Cerebellum. We know this because a person maintains consciousness of who she is even after the Cerebellum is surgically removed -- google for references.

Skipping a few steps in the interest of brevity, our search for consciousness can be narrowed to the cerebral cortex. By way of various kinds of scans scientists have found that there is quite intense brain activity, in certain areas of the brain, even when the subject is in deep sleep stage, one that can be equated to "sushupti". From this we can further narrow the field where consciousness is generated, it is not in the areas of the brain that remains active even in deep sleep, because, obviously, in deep sleep we have no consciousness.

Then, we have the case of Terri Schiavo, one that became a political hot potato in the U.S. There was virtually no brain activity even though she was kept alive by medical devices. Schiavo's case is an eye opener, for those who don't mind opening their eyes (sorry for the cheap shot, I couldn't resist :)). This clearly shows that what we infer as "self", "jeevatma", "consciousness" is not anything independent, but only some sort of brain activity that we do not fully understand yet, or may never be able to understand. To understand something using the very thing that we are trying to understand may be impossible. Alas, this very limitation is exploited by the religious to offer definitive answers with absolutely no evidence.

So, while nothing definitive may be said, all evidences are consistent with the hypothesis that consciousness is nothing but brain activity -- in other words nothing that transcends the physical universe.

Cheers!

... If someone wants to really learn the truth then and only then there will be the effort and attitude to approach the subject properly. At that time productive discussions and debates will take place
Well, who decides what is sincere effort? It looks like I am required to concede, a priori, the truth of handed down wisdom, which is asserted as the only litmus test indicative of the right effort and attitude, prerequisites for productive discussions and debate. Strange are the ways of faithful!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back