• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tsunami and Carnatic Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title must surely have raised eyebrows and perhaps even resulted in a mild shock for some. What is the connection between a gross human tragedy and one of the most sublime of art forms?

The Indian Ocean tsunami that occured in December 2004 is not the first nor will it be the last to strike our country. The issue of 27th December of ‘The Hindu’ carried the news of the tragedy as also an editorial, which apart from other things, mentioned that there were previous tsunamis that had occurred in 1941 and in 1881 in India. Subsequently we came to know that the tsunami of 1941 occurred on 26th June with its epicenter in Andaman Islands and that of 1881 occurred on December 31st with its epicenter in Indonesia. Highly interesting from the point of view of astrology, for, it reveals that the tsunami occurs once every sixty years or thereabouts in our country. The sixty year cycle is the common denominator for the movements of both Jupiter and Saturn, the two most important planets of the solar system at least as far as astrology is concerned.

Now on to the strange, nevertheless fascinating connection between tsunami and Carnatic music.

Considering the sixty year circle of the tsunami, and knowing that it occurred in 1881, we can safely infer that there was a tsunami sixty years before that, in the 1820s, say between 1820 and 1825. The Trinity of Carnatic music (Shyama Sastri, Thyagaraja and Muthuswami Dikshitar) were alive then. The most affected state of India in the 2004 tsunami was Tamilnadu. We now know that in the 1881 and 1941 tsunamis too, Tamilnadu was the worst affected. In 2004, in Tamilnadu, the Nagapattinam region which is part of the Cauvery delta region as also a coastal area was the worst affected. It devastated the region and at least seven thousand people were killed.

Take the two compositions written in praise of the Nagapattinam deities by Thyagaraja and Muthuswami Dikshitar, two of the Carnatic music trinity. Dikshitar in his Soundararajam Ashraye in the raga Brindavana Saranga written in praise of Lord Soundararaja Perumal says in a line, ‘ambudhi garva nigraham’ which means He (the Lord) quelled the pride of the sea. In his Saveri raga song on Goddess Neelayatakshi in the Siva Kayarohanesa temple, Thyagaraja says, ‘vaaridhi madhi gavinchi ee, vasudaku taaraanenchi ninnu, saareku ganitala vanchi yundu, dheeratanamugalugu ninnu podagaanchi’ which means, when the sea with pride threatened to overrun the earth, you assumed a heroic form, on seeing which, the sea became submissive and desisted from destroying the earth.

Sanskrit scholar and a past secretary of the Music Academy, Chennai, Dr. V. Raghavan has written in his thesis on Thyagaraja, ‘The Spiritual Heritage of Thyagaraja’ that he, Dr. Raghavan, tried to verify whether there was any mention of the pride of the sea being quelled by the divinities in the sthala puranas (stories about the origin of the temple and details of the Gods and Goddesses and their exploits) of these two temples but did not succeed. The tsunami obviously did not find a place in the sthala puranas.

The logical inference is that Thyagaraja and Dikshitar must have heard about this tragedy and visited Nagapattinam. For Dikshitar, Nagapattinam is very near Tiruvarur where he lived. News of such a colossal tragedy must have moved both Thyagaraja and Dikshitar who proceeded to Nagapattinam. They must have been briefed by the local people about the tragedy. They also would have seen that unlike Dwaraka which was swallowed by the sea, Nagapattinam was, despite being devastated, not destroyed completely and that many people were alive. They must also have seen that people were given refuge and food in the two big temples. This happened even after the 2004 tsunami. Very surprising, given the pathetic, self-centered nature of our times. Thousands were accommodated and fed for three or four days.

I have logically inferred that Thyagaraja and Dikshitar were referring to the tsunami in their songs. Shyama Sastri’s visit to Nagapattinam must have predated the tsunami for we don’t find a mention of any such incident in his song ‘Neelayatakshi’.

There is another connection of the tsunami with Carnatic music. The coastal areas of Kerala were more affected than other areas in the 1941 tsunami. Among the villages that were washed away in Central Kerala was a small village called Mundayi. Yes, it was the native place of Palakkad Rama Bhagavatar (1888-1957), the eminent vocalist. But Rama Bhagavatar had already migrated to Palakkad town years before the 1941 tsunami. His house in Mundayi was washed away.

At least now we must learn to respect our traditional knowledge and disciplines and benefit from them. If any research minded institution can, it should try to find out the exact date and year of 1820s tsunami. It is not impossible. It was the British rule then and the Madras Archives must be having details of the event. Astrological tools can be utilized to predict the event of the next tsunami which is sure to strike in the 2060s in India. Of course, most of us may not be alive at that time.

The two great composes could not prevent the tragedy, but at least they empathised with the people who suffered and each dedicated a song to the worst affected region. We, mere mortals can surely empathise with people who suffer from such tragedies by respecting our traditional disciplines that can help mitigate the sufferings of the people. Whether music lovers or astrology buffs, we owe this to our less fortunate brethren.

Interesting observation but I really cant comment much.Anyway nowadays we have enough songs after the 2004 Tsunami which one can find the word Tsunami which at times comes across as rather distasteful with words like Kadhal Tsunami cos I feel we owe the victims some respect.

The word tsunami is a Japanese one qand at least we Indians came to know of it only post 2004. I have tried to relate and logically infer from the compositions of the greatest composers of Carnatic music, composed more than 180 years ago. Since the Indian Ocean tsunami has a 60 year cycle, I went back in time to the 1820s, since we have data about the tsunamis of 1941 and 1881. There is no comparision with recent songs written by contemporary lyricists.

The word tsunami is a Japanese one qand at least we Indians came to know of it only post 2004. I have tried to relate and logically infer from the compositions of the greatest composers of Carnatic music, composed more than 180 years ago. Since the Indian Ocean tsunami has a 60 year cycle, I went back in time to the 1820s, since we have data about the tsunamis of 1941 and 1881. There is no comparision with recent songs written by contemporary lyricists.

I hope you didnt get me wrong...I was just commenting on the distasteful lyrics we see these days with regards to the word Tsunami.

No, I didn't get you wrong. I understand. I was amazed by this sudden discovery which struck me a day after the 2004 tsunami. Because it is not there in the sthala purANams of the Nagapattinam temples. To know that there is a record in two songs about the tsunami of about 180 years ago was thrilling.

ravi,

my earlier post appears to have disappeared. :)

palghat rama bhagavathar is a relative of mine. i passed your comments re tsunami to our family forum.

here is the reply, from a senior relative, who knows most about thaathaa than anyone else living.

This information was given to me ... way back in 1990s when I was asked ... to do a write-up on Rama Bhagavathar's life and career in music. When I asked ... why R.B. couldn't go back to meet his mother in Mundamukha (the exact name of the village where R.B. was born) after he had settled down in Kalpathy, I was told the village was no more in existence as it was inundated by the swirling waters of Bharata Puzha and all homes razed to the ground and there were hardly any survivors. They didn't say it was a tsunami and it is doubtful if it was a tsunami at all, as the village was situated on the banks of the river and not the sea which was quite a distance away from the village.

I don't know whether the present village high on the banks of Bharata Puzha was built on the ruins of the previous village. ...... the temple of Ayyappan which has been rebuilt now was the same old temple where R.B. and his ancestors had worshipped.

The state archives may throw more light on the matter.

Both Thyagaraja and Deekshitar were fully immersed in the epics and puranas, which can be understtod from a close study of their compositions. In the case of the kritis on "Neelaayataakshi" it looks, to me at least, that the reference is not to any Tsunami but to the Ramayana episode in which Rama is supposed to have brought down a belligerent and hot-headed Varuna (demoted from the status of the highest divinity in some portions of the Rigveda to a mere "Lord of the oceans", by the time of Ramayana.). The words "ambudhi garva nigrahanam" by MD and "vaaridhi madhi gavinchi" by Thyagaraja underscore this only.

I request learned members/readers to view in this fashion and see whether there is any logical difficulty. Incidentally, while Krishna was made to give a குட்டு to indra (goverdhan lifting and stopping the indra festival), our venerable brahman scribes made Rama give a similar
குட்டு to varuna, who had already been demoted very much in course of time. Sindhis most probably picked poor Varuna at this stage as their "Jhule Lal".

Mundayi and Tsunami - Astonishing

Hyderbad Brothers - Tiger Varadacharya - Palakkad Rama Baghavathar and finally the thread Tsunami and Carnatic Music...this is how I landed at this page today..

Mundayi (Mundamukha) is my paternal side ancestral place...Few kilometers from Shoranur , this place lies in the banks of Bharathapuzha...now a river of sand..due to illegel sand mining.
Still remember my "Trouser" days when Mundayi Thatha would take me with him in the "Vallom/Vanchi/Thoni" to the other bank of Bharathapuzha to reach Shoranur.

Never did I know, until today, that Mundayi was a place that withstood the rampage of a natural phenomenon like Tsunami. Neither had "Mundayi Thatha' (Sri Mundayi Harihara Iyer) mentioned that to me during my early visits.

As rightly cited, people who lived there during 1941 would have thought that the near by puzha(river) had overflooded. I'm not sure how many of them, in 1941, residing at a place like "Mundayi" that too on the banks of a river would have understood that they are in the midst of a natural rampage called "Tsunami".

Altogether an intersting thread and I have some key takeaways...Thanks.

Best,
Makesh Ramachandran

Really Interesting topic.We pary to Lord Sounderraja Perumal to show His Grace on the people affected and Further Protect the Region of Nagapattinam from further Occurence of Tsunamis.
alwan

Really Interesting topic.We pary to Lord Sounderraja Perumal to show His Grace on the people affected and Further Protect the Region of Nagapattinam from further Occurence of Tsunamis.
alwan

talwan,

i do not know, but i too, have taken after sangom, and increasingly tend to swing towards the random theory.

God is not there to prevent or protect, but just TO BE. that is what i think.

otherwise God has to work overtime to grant favours, and avoid bad things. which does not quite reflect human condition. does it.

i do have a personal God, and i do whisper in tamil or english, as i wish, for a few things for my family, but definitely not of the material kind. those things happen or not happen, and we appear not to control it, God or no God.

random. that is the word. all we can do, is be prepared if we get randomized.

even if we consider ourselves 'prepared', situations happen, like what they call 'curved ball' in base ball.

no escaping.

just hope to survive with head above water. that is all we can hope.

ps... is talwan a less honorofic term for talwar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back