• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indus valley Script. Is it Tamil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! The first civilization which did not leave even a paragraph of writing.

There is a lot of material available on this.

There is no material connecting Indus Valley civilization with the later Vedic civilization. Or with Tamil. All theory and wishful thinking.

Religion and politics interfering in matters which should be purely academic.

Than that is India where politicians and other groups would like to believe that the Aryan Invasion is a fact where as it is still a matter of debate.

Last edited:

There is no material connecting Indus Valley civilization with the later Vedic civilization. Or with Tamil. All theory and wishful thinking.

Than that is India where politicians and other groups would like to believe that the Aryan Invasion is a fact where as it is still a matter of debate.

The IVC symbols have been found in some of the excavations near Coimbatore in recent times. Such relics have also been found in excavations from other parts of south India also. Iravatham Mahadevan has proposed that the IVC symbols may be linked to Tamil or some other Dravidian language. It therefore looks to me that the whole continent was populated by people who spoke some form of Dravidian language except the eastern/north-eastern parts which had people speaking varieties of Mon-Khmer languages.

The problem today arises only when it is stated that into this area some people migrated from the north-west, in may be more than one batch, separated probably by long intervals of time as well, who had very close relationship with the zoroastrians. This has now become politically not acceptable and the hindutva lobby has created its own panel of experts who propose that sanskrit emanated from dravidian/munda, from sanskrit the avestan, persian and so on emerged, thus possibly spawning the entire gamut of IE languages.

But this does not satisfactorily explain the kikkuli text and the Mitanni treaty, IMO.

While there may or may not have been an Aryan invasion — in the way in which invasion has taken place in historical times — it is not at all impossible that a set of immigrants came, started occupying living areas, hunting areas etc., thus competing for food sources also, which would most probably have invited animosity from those who were already there. When a subsequent batch of immigrants came they might have encountered similar resistance from even those who had come and settled (by somehow finding an equilibrium of sorts but not necessarily a very peaceful absorption into the rest of the population) earlier, and this could have happened many times also, during the ancient past. This hypothesis, if accepted, will help us understand many things in the rigveda like enmity towards dasas, dasyus, asuras, etc., and the "atharvans" and their 'veda' (which was not initially recognized by the vedic tribes/clans) and so on.

Indus script, therefore, represents one earlier civilization which populated much of the Indo-Gangetic plains at one point of time but which was destroyed for reasons not yet clear to us and those people spread to the south of the continent in search of new places of living.

There is an old book written by an anthropologist about races of Bengal which I had read some years back. According to that about 30% (if I remember correctly) of the present Bengal population is Dravidian by race.

I have also read papers which try to connect the Indus Valley Civilization and the Vedic civilization. About Vedas, river Saraswathi etc. etc. Not by Hindutva people. We had some sessions discussing this in the class when I was studying Indology. This was a hot topic.

But no firm conclusion so far. There have been many discoveries in the recent past.

But as far the academic world is concerned the Indus valley script has not been deciphered. Most are inclined to believe now that they had no written language.

There were a couple of conferences/seminars which discussed only the Aryan Invasion theory. Some of the papers have been published. I will post the name of the book when I get down to the library next time. I have not been there for the last two years.

These links I had posted are from the Indology discussion forum.

Do Egyptian hieroglyphs produce a paragraph of writing?

For Indus script, writing professional calling cards of stone-workers or bill of materials of artefacts produced by them for trade do not require a paragraph of writing.

Is there any problem in dealing with saptasindhu region as a sprachbund (language union)?

வணக்கம் கல்யாணராமன்

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back