• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Modern day Purushaartha

Status
Not open for further replies.
The traditional focus of Hindu religion has been the Purusharthas(पुरुषार्थ), viz., Dharma(धर्म), Artha (अर्थ), Kaama (कामा), and Moksha (मोक्ष). The पुरुषार्थ has been considered as a goal, end or aim of human existence. These are to be followed in the same order. In other words धर्म(social and/or moral righteousness, both spiritual and ritual) is to be followed throughout one’s life. अर्थ (material and/or financial) prosperity as well as pursuit of meaning) and कामा[(dharmic) pleasure] are to be sought after only in the later stage (गृहस्थ). मोक्ष of course is the liberation from the cycle of birth and death. Even our slokas suggested that one would attain these goals if one chants the sloka with devotion. For example, फ़ल्श्रुथि of Sri Vishnu Sahasranaama Stotram states as below:

धर्मार्थीप्राप्नुयाद्धर्मर्थार्थीचार्थमाप्नुयात
कामनवाप्नुयातःकामीप्रजार्थीप्राप्नुयातप्रजाम्

Meaning: He who desires merit will get it, one who seeks wealth would have it, one who wants his desires to be fulfilled will have them fulfilled, and one who desires progeny will get it.

While the Vedic time focused on a value system called पुरुषार्थ, the WWW (World Wide Web) era is going in the direction of WWW (Wealth, Women and Wine). Wealth has replaced धर्म for it is sought after throughout one’s life. While अर्थwas more of a duty as per पुरुषार्थ, wealth is considered a ‘right’ today. Women and Wine come up in the later stage like अर्थ and कामा, but not as late as the गृहस्थ stage. In today’s age one tries to attain these goals far earlier in life. धर्म is unknown. And no one is interested in मोक्ष. Human beings live their life like a honey bee in the sense that a hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles, the equivalent of three orbits around the earth to collect 1 kg of honey. Honey for men is money. Virgin queens go on mating flights away from their home colony, and mate with multiple drones before returning. The drones die in the act of mating. That is what happens to human beings though not in the literal sense. Interestingly, Albert Einstein made the statement ‘If honey bees become extinct, human society will follow in four years.’

Last edited:
The traditional focus of Hindu religion has been the Purusharthas(पुरुषार्थ), viz., Dharma(धर्म), Artha (अर्थ), Kaama (कामा), and Moksha (मोक्ष). The पुरुषार्थ has been considered as a goal, end or aim of human existence. These are to be followed in the same order. In other words धर्म(social and/or moral righteousness, both spiritual and ritual) is to be followed throughout one’s life. अर्थ (material and/or financial) prosperity as well as pursuit of meaning) and कामा[(dharmic) pleasure] are to be sought after only in the later stage (गृहस्थ). मोक्ष of course is the liberation from the cycle of birth and death. Even our slokas suggested that one would attain these goals if one chants the sloka with devotion. For example, फ़ल्श्रुथि of Sri Vishnu Sahasranaama Stotram states as below:

धर्मार्थीप्राप्नुयाद्धर्मर्थार्थीचार्थमाप्नुयात
कामनवाप्नुयातःकामीप्रजार्थीप्राप्नुयातप्रजाम्

Meaning: He who desires merit will get it, one who seeks wealth would have it, one who wants his desires to be fulfilled will have them fulfilled, and one who desires progeny will get it.

While the Vedic time focused on a value system called पुरुषार्थ, the WWW (World Wide Web) era is going in the direction of WWW (Wealth, Women and Wine). Wealth has replaced धर्म for it is sought after throughout one’s life. While अर्थwas more of a duty as per पुरुषार्थ, wealth is considered a ‘right’ today. Women and Wine come up in the later stage like अर्थ and कामा, but not as late as the गृहस्थ stage. In today’s age one tries to attain these goals far earlier in life. धर्म is unknown. And no one is interested in मोक्ष. Human beings live their life like a honey bee in the sense that a hive of bees will fly 90,000 miles, the equivalent of three orbits around the earth to collect 1 kg of honey. Honey for men is money. Virgin queens go on mating flights away from their home colony, and mate with multiple drones before returning. The drones die in the act of mating. That is what happens to human beings though not in the literal sense. Interestingly, Albert Einstein made the statement ‘If honey bees become extinct, human society will follow in four years.’

Shri Siva Sir,

this is my view-

when they said with force 'purushartha' they agreed that artha is the most important. otherwise it can be called 'purushadharma', purushakama or purushamoksha, is it not? purana has stories of rishis going and asking kings for huge amounts of money - like what 2g spectrum case - and if king did not give they cursed. i think this comes in harichandra story, not sure. so, it was easy for rishis-grow beard and hair, make it into a jatai and you can get as much money you want, without working. i think gurus/swamijis today also do similar thing, don't you think so?

you refer to vishnusahasranamam sloka. see, how one can "ask for" dharma? i always thought it was law or in another way duties and responsibility. is it like vishnu keeps wholesale stock of dharma and gives from it to those reciting v.s. and asking for it, like chundal viniyogam? also who will like to ask for more responsibility and duty?

now you find asking for children. is it not another desire? then why it is again said separately? poor fellows with some sanskrit made up all these slokams but did not know it was blah blah, i think.

i don't think artham here can be 'meaning'. if so all poor brahmin fellows will go about with big dictionary in their hands, and try find meanings all the time!!

Shri Siva Sir,

this is my view-

when they said with force 'purushartha' they agreed that artha is the most important. otherwise it can be called 'purushadharma', purushakama or purushamoksha, is it not? purana has stories of rishis going and asking kings for huge amounts of money - like what 2g spectrum case - and if king did not give they cursed. i think this comes in harichandra story, not sure. so, it was easy for rishis-grow beard and hair, make it into a jatai and you can get as much money you want, without working. i think gurus/swamijis today also do similar thing, don't you think so?

you refer to vishnusahasranamam sloka. see, how one can "ask for" dharma? i always thought it was law or in another way duties and responsibility. is it like vishnu keeps wholesale stock of dharma and gives from it to those reciting v.s. and asking for it, like chundal viniyogam? also who will like to ask for more responsibility and duty?

now you find asking for children. is it not another desire? then why it is again said separately? poor fellows with some sanskrit made up all these slokams but did not know it was blah blah, i think.

i don't think artham here can be 'meaning'. if so all poor brahmin fellows will go about with big dictionary in their hands, and try find meanings all the time!!

I tend to agree with the first paragraph of your post. The rest however appears like atheism. I note that you have attempted to put the reality with a sarcastic/harsh intrepretation.

I tend to agree with the first paragraph of your post. The rest however appears like atheism. I note that you have attempted to put the reality with a sarcastic/harsh intrepretation.
Shri Siva Sir,

I am not atheist. but i think religions - all of them, perhaps, but I know only little bit of hindu religion - try to put curtain between humans and the super power which creates us (and also destroys in its own time). so, sometimes my writing will look atheism, no complaint.

but because you did not agree or did not like my saying that sloka is humbug and you feel it is great, it is not correct to say it is atheism, is it not? now, after reading your post no.3, i just read some other slokam on ganapathy and then it struck me if the writer who wrote that slokam you cite could easily say "mokshaartee labhate gatim" in the place of "prajarthee praapnuyaat prajaam". i think poetry-wise it will sound OK also. that is why i said like that.

re. dharma, is it not a principle sort of idea? can somebody ask/request god for giving him some dharma - is it not what 'dharmaarthee' means? and then it says such a persons will come to possess dharma. to me this looks like meaningless. in the case of artha and kaama it is ok. so i will request you to kindly think again, ponder over that slokam, what i write and call a spade a spade, without being afraid of god's anger. after all god has not said anything direct to man till now and it is only priests and prophets who say that god has said so and so thing, is it not? i also read in one upanishad story that a son of a rishi found fault with his father giving all his second grade cows only (not good cows) in daanam and told his father it is not correct. he was praised in the end by God Yama also for his honesty and was not asked to go to hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shri Siva Sir,

I am not atheist. but i think religions - all of them, perhaps, but I know only little bit of hindu religion - try to put curtain between humans and the super power which creates us (and also destroys in its own time). so, sometimes my writing will look atheism, no complaint.

but because you did not agree or did not like my saying that sloka is humbug and you feel it is great, it is not correct to say it is atheism, is it not? now, after reading your post no.3, i just read some other slokam on ganapathy and then it struck me if the writer who wrote that slokam you cite could easily say "mokshaartee labhate gatim" in the place of "prajarthee praapnuyaat prajaam". i think poetry-wise it will sound OK also. that is why i said like that.

re. dharma, is it not a principle sort of idea? can somebody ask/request god for giving him some dharma - is it not what 'dharmaarthee' means? and then it says such a persons will come to possess dharma. to me this looks like meaningless. in the case of artha and kaama it is ok. so i will request you to kindly think again, ponder over that slokam, what i write and call a spade a spade, without being afraid of god's anger. after all god has not said anything direct to man till now and it is only priests and prophets who say that god has said so and so thing, is it not? i also read in one upanishad story that a son of a rishi found fault with his father giving all his second grade cows only (not good cows) in daanam and told his father it is not correct. he was praised in the end by God Yama also for his honesty and was not asked to go to hell.

I appreciate your candidness and interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back