• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

kannaki temple and Siva parvathi temple in the SAME compund

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Palakkad there is a unique temple for goddess Kannaki and for Lord Siva &Parvati(known as Vishalakshi sametha Siva temple) which are situated in the same compound at Moothan thara. The temple belongs to Moothan community(Vaisya community originated from Poompuhar). Another feature of the temple is its artchitectural style is mixed with Tamil-Malayalam traditions.

For Kannaki, Namboothiry Brahmins do pooja rituals and for Vishalakshi sametha Vishwanatha temple -poojas are performed by Tamil Brahmins.
The devotees can feel this cultural mix when they visited these temples.

Pallassna (Chittur Dt) has also some relation to some diamond merchants from North TN and the presiding deity is Meenakshi called meenkulatti. More devotees from TN throng this temple.

was not ilango adigal a jain?

very interesting about the sangam age of tamil culture. not sure how much hindu jaina mixing was there.

it is interesting that a fictional character kannagi has a temple. i know that andhaNars are mentioned in old tamil literature, but how much rigidity of caste was there, is one question up for grabs.

if certain schools of tamil scholars are to be heard, casteism rigidified only with the successful resurgence of saivism much later under sekkizhar and such folks, who was responsible for chola kings to faciliate immigration of brahmins from the north (current day vadamas?).

any clarification is welcome. thank you.

i am posting this purely from a historical curiosity. after reading kalki's tamil classics, one of my fondest wishes was to do some time travelling and witness those golden periods of my heritage, albeit in a passive ghost mode. :)

I think they belongs to veera saiva vellala mannadiar stock-migrated to kerala from Tamilnadu.
As far as I know Palakkad has richest population of Tamil origin in Kerala of different castes like Iyers/Iyengars,Chettiars,Muthaliar&Gounders etc. and they still proud of their origin is Tamil land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back