• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

கலை பற்றி கொஞ்சம்...

Status
Not open for further replies.
கலை பற்றி கொஞ்சம்...

கலை பற்றி கொஞ்சம்...

கலை யாருக்கு அல்லது எதற்கு? கலை கலைக்கா? கலை மக்களுக்கா?

எந்த ஒன்றும் அது அதனாலேயே வளர்ந்து செழுமைப்படாது. அது அப்படியெனில், நாம் இன்று இப்படி இருக்கும் இந்த உலகம், இன்று இப்படி இருந்திருக்காது. இந்த பூமியின் முதல் வினாடிக்கும் இந்த வினாடிக்கும் எவ்வளவு வேறுபாடுகள்! எத்தனையோ விஷயங்கள் இடையில் புகுந்துள்ளன, எத்தனையோ விஷயங்கள் சுவடே தெரியாமல் அழிந்துள்ளன. ஒன்றுக்குக் காரணம் அதுவே என்றால் புவனத்தில் அழிவேது, தேய்வேது, சிதைவேது? ஒன்றைத் தின்று செரித்து எச்சமாக்கித்தான், இன்னொன்று உரம் பெற்று வளர வேண்டியுள்ளது.

ஆகவே கலை கலைக்கே என்பதை எவ்வாறு ஏற்றுக்கொள்ள முடியும்?

சரி, கலை மக்களுக்கானதா? நிச்சயமாக அது மக்களுக்கானதுதான். அதில் சந்தேகம் துளி கூட இல்லை.

எந்தவொரு படைப்பில் மக்களுக்கான சிந்தனை, மக்கள் நலனுக்கான வேட்கை முன் நோக்கித் துருத்திக் கொண்டிருக்கிறதோ, அதுதான் கலை! அது கதையாக இருக்கட்டும், கவிதையாக இருக்கட்டும், திரைப்படம், இசை, நடனம் போன்ற எந்த வடிவமாக இருக்கட்டும், அதில் மானுட வர்க்கத்து நலனிற்கான அறைகூவல் ஓங்கி ஒலிக்க வேண்டும். இதனை முன்னிட்டே அக்கலையின் பின்னால் உள்ள அழகியல் சற்றாவது பரிசீலிக்கப்படும்.

கலை என்பது மக்களுக்காகத் தான் என்பதில் சிறிதும் சந்தேகம் இல்லை. ஆனால், கலை என்பது மக்கள் கேட்பதை எல்லாம் தருவது மட்டுமன்று. மக்கள் ரசிப்பதை எல்லாம் வழங்குவது மட்டுமன்று.

கலை என்பது சாதாரண மக்களின் சிந்தனையையும், ரசனையையும் உயர்த்துவதற்குப் பயன்பட வேண்டும். பல தரப்பட்ட மக்களின் எண்ணங்களையும், வாழ்வையும் உண்மையான கலையானது செம்மைப்படுத்தும். அவர்களை எல்லாம் தற்போதைய அவர்களின் தரத்தில் இருந்து மென்மேலும் வளர்ச்சிப் பாதையில் கொண்டு செல்லும்.

இங்கே தான் கலைஞனுடைய பொறுப்பு மிகுதியாகிறது. அவன் மிகவும் கவனமாகச் செயல்பட வேண்டியுள்ளது. ஒரு கலைஞன் வெறும் கூலிக்கு உழைப்பவன் அல்லன். அவன் சிறந்த படைப்பாளியும் கூட. அவன் தான் வாழும் சமுதாயத்தின் தலை விதியையும் மாற்றி அமைக்கும் வல்லமை பொருந்தியவனாகத் திகழ்கிறான்.

'கலை என்பது கலைக்காக மட்டுமே' என்பவர்களுடைய வாதம் எதற்காக எழுந்ததென்றால், கலை என்பது வெறும் playing to the gallery ஆக மாறி விடக் கூடாதே என்ற கவலையினால் தான்.

ஆக, ஒரு கலைஞன் சாதாரண மக்களை எல்லாம் தன்னுடைய நிலைக்கு உயர்த்த வேண்டுமே அன்றி, தன்னை அவர்கள் நிலைக்கு ஒரு போதும் தாழ்த்திக் கொண்டு விடக் கூடாது.

In the initial stages, a true artiste suffers a lot and sacrifices a lot. But once he attains certain level, the whole society is willing to turn its eyes and ears towards him.

Therefore, patience and perseverance are two important watchwords for a good artiste.

Very nice topic chandra.

Art, in whatever form or however you define it, should it be for art’s sake? Or the masses.

Personally, I do not believe in rigid rules. To answer you in short, I think, IT ALL DEPENDS.

One thing for certain, and this factor we should take it into account. Art is a reflection of the times. many great european artists starved or lived in penury. Their fame came after they died, and the money that flowed out of their works did not benefit either the artists or their families.

I would also like to consider our own community’s attitude towards the film industry. Notwithstanding the fact, that greats like MS, GNB and such like acted in movies in their youth, we always (atleast in my household) associated the filmworld as of ‘loose morals’. I still remember my relatives commenting on MS’ suprabatham as something she did to ‘wash away her sins committed in youth’. With such attitudes, we may tend to discount certain fields as ‘unworthy’ of our respect and hence lose out on an entire arena of appreciation.

I hope attitudes towards the filmworld has changed these days, what with Vidya Balan & Trisha, our own pattar girls, now on top of the spectrum. To me, these are hard earned positions in a ruthlessly competitive field and worthy of admiration and regard. I have heard how the gounder community views Surya as a role model. I wonder how many girls’ parents would do likewise for Vidya or Trisha. Attitudes make art.

Painting. The only paintings left from old india are the mughal miniatures and later the british artists paining on indian landscape. We do not know anything about paintings of the earlier era, though some wall paintings of ajanta or ellora has survived. The muslims might have destroyed all the temples but we do not, to the best of my knowledge, have surviving paintings on cloth or canvass. True enough there was temple art. But were these meant only for the ruler patrons? Or did the public of those days got to get joy out of them.

In today’s world of instant and cheap communication art can exist for its own sake. Or with the backing of the masses. One only has to build a website and upload images of one’s painting, sculpture, poems or novels. With youtube you can even post takes on your acting or singing skills. All this you do for your own sake. Meanwhile, unknown to you, there might be a word of mouth spread, and before long, you may find your popularity increasing in the wide world out there. at that point, your art moves on to the realm of the masses.

Every type of art gives back something to the fans. A book is a delight for several hours. It does not matter if it is a pulp fiction or shakespeare. Each is beautiful in its own way, and to just praise one type and deride the other is not befitting of any decent human. One man’s delight is another one’s bore. It is best to leave it like that. my preference is for carnatic music in tamil. Noway does it decrease thyagayya’s kritis but it is just not for me, even though I appreciate the greatness of the same.

I love pop and cinema music. To some other folks it is jazz and others it is classical. To invoke the art for art’s sake argument here, I think, sort of dwells into the area of ‘purity’ of the art form. Ie a purist will not care for the popular appeal of his work, but only focus against the incursion of other influences to his primary school of creativity. I am not so sure of this either, as fusion of different schools of art, could be awesome if done carefully.

Chandra, therefore, I find it difficult to accept prescriptions as to what a person thinks what art should be, and whether it should be art’s sake. Or otherwise. Maybe we should not go into the mode of prescriptions as to what art should be, and what its domain should be. These will naturally sort itself out. As individuals, we know what we like. To us that is art. There are things that we do not like. To us these are not art or atleast we will not acknowledge them to be art. This does not make either Picasso or Vidya Balan to be one iota less of an artist.

Let arts of all forms flourish. The only times we have to watch out, is when senseless folks start burning books, cutting artwork into pieces and breaking centuries old sculpture, in the name of dogma. that type of behaviour, to me is more a threat to the artworld, that any posed or prescribed in this thread. Maybe the next time we go to a cinema, we might be wont to remember, that this too is a piece of art, and in our own way, we are continuing the legacy of our ex ruling classes in doing our ‘bit’ for the artist. In this case, art has moved from its own sake, to the sake of the masses. N’est pas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back