• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Nutritive Values of Ghee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

I for one believes that Ghee is good for health. Clarified Butter which is known as Ghee or Gritham in Sanskrit, is used liberally in Ayurvedic preparations from time immemorial in our Country. It is my personal opinion that enough research has not been done in western world on this subject. However I give below two web sites for additional informnation on the usefulness of Ghee:

Pure Indian Foods, makers of Grassfed Organic Ghee (Clarified Butter) - a family in ghee business since 1889
Ayurveda - Ghee - Clarified butter

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Shri Brahmanyan

I feel many of the research on food habits/oils are done by the west, for the west, of the west where the weather, working habits are different

I think our food habits are more suited to our weather , kind of job etc. Personally, I feel , adding Ghee to our food- atleast till 40 years of age is essential given the absence of other healthy fat items a NV has.(After 40 , we have to cut down not only ghee but many other items.

Namskarams
Revathi

i like ghee.

on plain raw bread (no toast) just by itself. i do not use it with regular koottaans but only with my own made vethakozhambu, which is more bitter due to sundakkai and murungakkais. my wife's vethakuzhambu is sweet with coconut added palghat style and does not need ghee.

it is one of the unique extractions of butter, and if taken in small quantities i see it as a welcome accompaniment to enhance the joys of the palate.

ofcourse, i have seen in functions, when the brahmins are fed ghee in dhonnais, and have seen it consumed bottoms up. enough said about that...

Shri Brahmanyan

I feel many of the research on food habits/oils are done by the west, for the west, of the west where the weather, working habits are different

I think our food habits are more suited to our weather , kind of job etc. Personally, I feel , adding Ghee to our food- atleast till 40 years of age is essential given the absence of other healthy fat items a NV has.(After 40 , we have to cut down not only ghee but many other items.

Namskarams
Revathi

Dear Revathi,

Yes, it has been an admitted fact that not enough research has been one on Ghee, ( which is basically an Aryan innovation according to my friend from an erstwhile Royal family who enjoys food prepared by pure ghee and leads a healthy life). It is claimed that direct intake of animal fat creates increase in LDL Cholesterol levels which is not good for heart and may increase the risk of coronary heart decease. But how far consumption of Ghee fits in the definition of "Direct intake of animal fat" is the question for researchers to decide.
Undoubtedly Cholesterol produced in our body is essential for building up of cell membranes and hormones in our body.My grandmother who used to consume good amount of Ghee in her food lived a hale and healthy life of 83 years without any heart problems.

Well, I love the smell of Ghee in my food and take small quantity of it (with the permission of my Doctor) every day.

Best Wishes,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

i like ghee.

on plain raw bread (no toast) just by itself. i do not use it with regular koottaans but only with my own made vethakozhambu, which is more bitter due to sundakkai and murungakkais. my wife's vethakuzhambu is sweet with coconut added palghat style and does not need ghee.

it is one of the unique extractions of butter, and if taken in small quantities i see it as a welcome accompaniment to enhance the joys of the palate.

ofcourse, i have seen in functions, when the brahmins are fed ghee in dhonnais, and have seen it consumed bottoms up. enough said about that...

Dear Sri "Kunjuppu",

Great, the mouth watering recipes in your post attracted me to file a rejoinder. I just love the aroma of home made Ghee from butter obtained from Cow's milk. We in Coimbatore used to get good milk, curd and equally good Ghee. In Bangalore also we get good butter. When I was young I loved just "Paruppu sadam" with ghee, later I loved the hot "Theluvu rasam sadam" with Ghee. I cannot think of taking hot "Ven Pongal" with out Ghee. Many more I can add, but suffice to add two more, one is "Adai" with a big chunk of Ghee and the other is "Bisi Bele bath" with "thuppa" (Ghee).
I am told the the energy consumed due to Vedic and scriptural chants by our Vadhyars is replenished by Ghee that they consume.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back