• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Death of Public Outrage in India by V SUNDARAM - IAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aramakrishnan1

Death of Public Outrage in India
10/11/2010 00:11:19

V SUNDARAM - IAS

The unscrupulous politicians of India are declaring every day that private character has virtually no impact on governing public character. What matters above all is a healthy economy and that moral authority is defined solely by how well a Prime Minister or a Cabinet Minister deals with public policy matters. If these arguments are allowed to become legal tender in the public realm, we, the ordinary people of India, would have validated them and all of us will come to rue the day we did so. We should all remember that these sordid and unscrupulous arguments define us down; they assume a lower common denominator of behaviour and leadership than we Indians, as responsible citizens, ought to accept.

And if we do accept it, we will have committed an unthinking act of moral and intellectual disarmament. In the realm of Indian ideals and the great tradition of public debate, the high ground will have been lost. And when we need to rely again on this high ground, as surely as we will need to from time to time in the future, we will find it drained of its compelling moral power. We cannot allow our unscrupulous politicians to define public morality down.
The word 'Judgement' is a word that seems to be out of favour these days, but it ought to remain a corner stone of our democratic self-government. It is what enables us to hold ourselves, and our leaders, to high standards. It is how we distinguish between right and wrong, noble and base, honour and dishonour. We cannot ignore that responsibility, or foist it on others. It is the price, sometimes the most exacting price, of citizenship in a democracy. Our civilised society must give public affirmation to principles and standards, categorical norms, notions of right and wrong. Even though many of our public figures often fall short of these standards, and we know and we expect some will, it is nevertheless crucial that we pay tribute to them. At the moment there is a moral bankruptcy and it is damaging our country, its standards and our self-respect. We as a nation should not fail to distinguish between Mahatma Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi.

The essence of democracy lies in all the people having equal opportunities. Democracy means that the humblest person could hope to rise to the top. But this can never happen in India. Indian polity and Indian politics are both bereft of any idealism and only those with bags of money or those who can mobilise money bags can ever contest the elections and hope to reach the top. How can paupers finance the election mela which is becoming more and more expensive? He only becomes a laughing stock pitted against these 'imperial' financial frauds. The superstructure of our democracy is indeed founded on money power and its ability to master physical groups like caste groups, communal groups, religious groups, cronies, sycophants and followers and to pay for them. With money, the leaders can buy others and with muscle, they can intimidate or even eliminate other opponents/contestants. It is therefore incorrect to say that all the Indian citizens have equal opportunities to contest elections. The solid concrete facts would clearly confirm that the contrary is the truth. My aim here is to give public expression to people's private concerns.

Ever since independence, the same coterie of 15,000 people have controlled the levers and reigns of power. They only have represented the people, as nobody else could mobilise their resources to fight elections. Soon after independence, the Congress party under Nehru, who was a self-chosen stooge of Stalin and Communist Russia, piloted the Zamindari Abolition Act to abolish the system of hereditary land holders on a large scale. It was done on the grandiloquent principle of equity and natural justice! Indira Gandhi abolished the Privy Purses which had been guaranteed at the time of India's independence to all the princes of India on the same principle which was quite unconstitutional and illegal. What was denied to the zamindars and the princes has been transferred through the instrumentality of Parliament to the Nehru family and Nehru clan and a few other political clans. The laws of succession have freely operated even in the matter of filling up of the seats on a hereditary basis in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha. POLITICS HAS BECOME A HEREDITARY AVOCATION, WORSE THAN THE CASTE SYSTEM. Apart from the Nehru family which has strangulated the country for nearly two generations, many of the other equally clever men in Indian politics have evolved a hereditary lineage. At the top we have had the Holy Nehru Trinity, father, daughter, grandson. And now we have the trans-national firangi memsahib daughter-in-law; she is being declared as not only the daughter-in-law of Indira Gandhi but also that of (only pseudo-secular) Mother India!

The following table gives a clear idea about how the unquestioned hereditary principle has operated at all levels in India after independence:

Prime Leader Family Members

Jawaharlal Nehru
Indira Gandhi, Sanjay Gandhi, Maneka Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi
Ravi Shankar Shukla
V. C Shukla, S. C Shukla
Karunakaran
Muraleedharan
M. Karunanidhi
M.K Stalin, Alagiri, Kanimozhi
G.K Moopanar
G.K Vasan
Dr S. Ramdass
Anbumani
Murasoli Maran
Dayanidhi Maran
Sheik Abdullah
Farook Abdullah, Omar Abdullah
Rafi Ahmed Kidwai
Mohsina Kidwai
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
Najma Heptullah
Charan Singh
Ajit Singh
Devi Lal
Chautala, Ranjit Singh
G.B Pant
K.C Pant
V.P Naik
Shalini Naik
Sharad Pawar
Supriya Sule
P.A Sangma
Agatha Sangma

SOON AFTER INDEPENDENCE, THE CONGRESS PARTY CREATED A POLITICALLY FASHIONABLE PERSONALITY CULT TO PUBLICLY PROCLAIM ABOUT THE EXCEPTIONAL AND OUTSTANDING QUALITIES OF SOME OF ITS LEADERS AND POLITICAL HEROES. BY THE ORCHESTRATED REPETITION OF SEVERAL SUCH FALSEHOODS, THE CONGRESS PARTY CREATED A MAKE-BELIEVE NATION. Nehru worship till 1962 was one such deliberate exercise in cult. There was never any objective evaluation of Nehru, his ideas, his achievements, his contradictions, his successes, his follies and his failures. And of course there was no evaluation of the long-term impact of his catastrophic economic policy and foreign policy failures. Everything Nehru did, real or imaginary and what he failed to do were all camouflaged in a humdrum of raucous praises. The Congress party, after independence, converted politics into a sordid arena of business not only for the Nehru family but also for every leading member of the Congress party. This disease I call as AICS (Acquired In Congress Syndrome!). This is a dangerous infection worse than AIDS and this infection has spread to all other political parties in India.

The Congress style of politics has provided a Midas touch to all the aspirants. Most of the richest men in the country are the politicians with mostly unaccounted wealth, internal and foreign wealth. Politics is a business without any norms or rules of business regarding accounting or accountability to anyone. Politics is the only business that facilitates acquisition of wealth without earning at distress prices or for a pittance or the grabbing of valuable resources such as prime lands without any compensation to the owner or the government. This business of politics seems to operate with no taxation on income or wealth, no financial risk, and no disclosure of sources of wealth or any fiduciary interests at any time. My observations should not be viewed as fiction but are solid facts borne out by irrefutable evidence and established precedents.

Exploitation --- sucking of the blood of the poor masses of India --- is a normal pervasive style in this business of politics. It is a business with no code of conduct. There is no limit to the magnitude of profits or accumulation of wealth or the enormity of crimes. The only competition may come from different forms of organised dacoity! It is an irony that under the Company's Act, buying of shares using the capital of the company is prohibited. But there is no such prohibition or ban in the field of business of politics. The politician is free to stretch and dip his hand into the public office (by cleverly routing the business through some rules and procedures on paper to satisfy our dead and moribund courts of law!) and fill his private pockets and continue to amass wealth. All the enforcement agencies, uniformed or otherwise, of the Government of India will give a helping hand to every politician to achieve his objective of maximum wealth at no cost or minimum cost. Politics is the only business where they are under no constraint to discriminate between public and private wealth, where their personal interests are involved.

IT IS A TRAGEDY THAT THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN THE PUBLIC AND PRIVATE REALMS HAS ALTOGETHER COLLAPSED IN INDIA. The power and prerogatives of public office have been employed by all the politicians to satisfy their private desires. Most business activities carried on by politicians enjoy exemption from any kind of taxation, including income-taxation. The whole income from the business of politics is outside the purview of any scrutiny on account of the merger of personal and party funds. The most shameful part of the whole story is that all the paper tigers of the Income-Tax Department, Customs and Excise Department would show tremendous deference and consideration to every politician in office or out of office. SONS, DAUGHTERS, RELATIONS OF OUR UNSCRUPULOUS POLITICIANS AND THEIR CONCUBINES AND PARAMOURS ARE AUTHORISED TO FUNCTION AS KNOWN SMUGGLERS OF GOLD, DIAMONDS, DRUGS AND COUNTERFEIT CURRENCY UNDER THE COVER OF A TO Z SECURITY AND DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY. All honour without any doubt to firangi memsahib Sonia Gandhi and nothing but shame, ridicule and political oblivion to the self-less traditions of Mahatma Gandhi!

Once the Maha-Dalit Jagjivan Ram, one of the greatest international giants in the field of corruption in India after independence, shamelessly announced in the Lok Sabha that he had forgotten to file his income tax return by oversight for several years. His obliging Prime Minister Indira Gandhi came to his rescue by declaring that “Jagjivan Babu was so busy serving the nation that he totally forgot to pay the taxes”.

In our country we cannot take the words of any of our leaders for granted. Words have been deconstructed, promises emptied of meaning. Politics has been reduced to a mere commercial game. It is all very straightforward: if a man's public word means nothing, it means nothing. It is public folly to believe otherwise.

All the politicians have conferred upon themselves various privileges/ perquisites to pursue and thrive in their political business. While the political management in all our legislatures follows a set style, there is complete unanimity among all the parties on one fundamental aspect. They all agree that all the citizens of India will have to be kept in a continuous state of conflicts, tensions and ignorance, so that they are constantly under pressure fully occupied and completely at the mercy of these oligarchic political overlords. All policies made in the country, all decisions affecting the people and all actions taken so far to implement the policies and decisions are traceable to the politicians. The business of politics in India has become so attractive that many unscrupulous people from different professions, inspired by ulterior motives, are seeking the mantle of politics. They have in no way laid the foundation for the progress of the country. They neither inspire the youth nor lead them.

THE MOTHER SUPERIOR OF ALL CORRUPTION IN THE UPA II GOVERNMENT IN NEW DELHI IS THE FIRANGI MEMSAHIB SONIA GANDHI. In her over weaning political arrogance and bumptiousness, she reminds us all about Catherine de' Medici (1519 – 1589) (born in Florence, Italy) who later became Queen of France, and Lucrezia Borgia (18 April 1480 – 24 June 1519). Authentic history tells us that both these political women were incorrigible political criminals!!

The Firangi Memsahib has nothing but unconcealed hatred and contempt for the Hindus of India and their religious and cultural traditions. In her capacity as the Chairman of UPA Co-Ordination Committee, she has remained brazenly silent over the Rs 117,000 Crores 2 G Spectrum Scam of that political DMK scum A. Raja, Rs 70, 000 Crores Congwealth (CommonWealth) Games Scam, Rs 1,500 Crores Adarsh Scam of Maharashtra Congress Chief Minister Ashok Chavan. The country has been able to scent through reliable public rumours that Rs 30,000 Crores in 1,000 Rupee packets looted out of Commonwealth Games scam were carted away in containers to numbered Swiss Bank accounts of Sonia Clan.
And yet there is no public outrage whatsoever. The Sonia Congress Party has evolved the most perfect scientific state-of-the-art methodology of diversion, half-truth, equivocation, and sophistry for covering up all scams and more particularly those gigantic scams like 2G Spectrum scam and Commonwealth Games scam, where all the leads trace their fountainhead to the members of the inner circle of the Sonia Clan! The CONGRESS BUREAU OF INTIMIDATION (The most shameless CBI consisting of impotent eunuchs) would go out of their way to foist imaginary criminal cases upon an outstanding elected Chief Minister like Narendra Modi at the instance of the firangi memsahib.

Death of outrage and death of Eternal India seem to be two sides of the same coin issued by the firangi memsahib’s Private Estate Pvt.Ltd. UPA II Government of India today. I would like to pay my poetic tribute to this most vicious, most wicked and most corrupt and irresponsible Government by quoting the words of the great German poet Erich Fried.

WHAT HAPPENS
It has happened
and it goes on happening
and will happen again
if nothing happens to stop it
The innocent know nothing because they are too innocent and the guilty know nothing because they are too guilty
The poor do not notice because they are too poor and the rich do not notice because they are too rich
The stupid shrug their shoulders because they are too stupid and the clever shrug their shoulders because they are too clever
The young do not care because they are too young and the old do not care because they are too old
That is why nothing happens
to stop it
and that is why it has happened
and goes on happening and will happen again

AMID THIS ENCIRCLING GLOOM CREATED BY OUR VICIOUS, GREEDY AND SELFISH POLITICIANS, I DERIVE MY INSPIRATION FROM THE FOLLOWING IMMORTAL WORDS OF LORD KRISHNA IN THE BHAGAVAT GITA FOR THE IMMEDIATE REDEMPTION AND LIBERATION OF BHARAT VARSHA.

Paritranaya sadhunam vinashaya cha dushkritam.
Dharma sansthapanarthaya sambhavami yuge yuge.

Bagavat Gita (Chapter 4, Verse 8)

For the protection of the devotees and the annihilation of the miscreants and to fully establish righteousness, I appear millennium after millennium.

For the upliftment of the good and virtuous,
For the destruction of evil,
For the re-establishment of dharma,
I will come, in every age.

Death of Public Outrage in India
10/11/2010 00:11:19

V SUNDARAM - IAS

AMID THIS ENCIRCLING GLOOM CREATED BY OUR VICIOUS, GREEDY AND SELFISH POLITICIANS, I DERIVE MY INSPIRATION FROM THE FOLLOWING IMMORTAL WORDS OF LORD KRISHNA IN THE BHAGAVAT GITA FOR THE IMMEDIATE REDEMPTION AND LIBERATION OF BHARAT VARSHA.

Paritranaya sadhunam vinashaya cha dushkritam.
Dharma sansthapanarthaya sambhavami yuge yuge.

Bagavat Gita (Chapter 4, Verse 8)

For the protection of the devotees and the annihilation of the miscreants and to fully establish righteousness, I appear millennium after millennium.

For the upliftment of the good and virtuous,
For the destruction of evil,
For the re-establishment of dharma,
I will come, in every age.
This is a supreme example of paradox, the figure of speech!

The writer explodes with moral indignation throughout the write-up, but, at the end of it all, in what can be termed as a real anti-climax, he brings in the defeatists' consolation from the Bhagavdgita which has ruled the minds of hindus and many other Indians too, for the last few centuries at least.

It is exactly because of "yadA yadA hi..." the preceding verse from the Gita, that the Indians have become unconcerned and there is no public outrage at all. If Lord Krishna himself does not feel that the dharma has become sufficiently decayed as to make Him come down in order to re-establish the Dharma, who are we to make any independent judgment? Can we claim to be more knowledgeable than Lord Krishna, the Supreme God, himself?

And see carefully, Krishna himself admits his inability to keep this world free from evils and decay of dharma on a permanent footing. (Perhaps, if He did so, who will need Him, the God?) Why should we, mere mortals, get excited over the increase in evils and decay of morals? Let us do more bhakti, bhajans, etc., and complain to Lord Krishna louder and louder. I am sure that is what the Lord God Himself would prefer to any hotheaded human being/s with swollen heads trying to usurp His job.

sangom,

i agree with you 100%.

sundaram, i think, is a pompous ass, who starts off being, with a know it all attitude because of his previous government experience. i find him very biased to the right wing and often inciting an alarmist view of situations, when cooler senses should prevail.

i don't think he understands the concept of 'real politk' of today's india. neither does he understand the machinations of chanakya.

sundaram fits my profile of a calcifying retired bureaucrat with a know it all attitude of his erstwhile masters; with scratch only the surface knowledge of the vedas or epics, he has no hesitation to invoke his concept of ancient indian society to yarn about today's ills, while enjoying the fruits of today's prosperity. he is the type who would get angry at his questions or challenges to his views - probably he would call these 'anti brahmins' or desa drohis :)

i used to read him with interest a while ago, first as a novelty, then for humour, but of late, i give him a big pass. not worth the effort.

Last edited:
sangom,

i agree with you 100%.

sundaram, i think, is a pompous ass, who starts off being, with a know it all attitude because of his previous government experience. i find him very biased to the right wing and often inciting an alarmist view of situations, when cooler senses should prevail.

i don't think he understands the concept of 'real politk' of today's india. neither does he understand the machinations of chanakya.

sundaram fits my profile of a calcifying retired bureaucrat with a know it all attitude of his erstwhile masters; with scratch only the surface knowledge of the vedas or epics, he has no hesitation to invoke his concept of ancient indian society to yarn about today's ills, while enjoying the fruits of today's prosperity. he is the type who would get angry at his questions or challenges to his views - probably he would call these 'anti brahmins' or desa drohis :)

i used to read him with interest a while ago, first as a novelty, then for humour, but of late, i give him a big pass. not worth the effort.

I doubt whether you had read the article and then make your comment. May be you have written the comment noting the Author's name itself.
You are terming that the author is biased. Aren't you biased to assume that the "Right Wing" is a "Wrong Wing". Please push aside your prejudice on the author and see the content.
Is our Indian democracy still "for the people","by the people". Can a common man with good intentions wishing to do selfless service contest an election. Kindly do not quote the rule book, but tell me practically "is it possible". Don't you share the concern of the Author about the deterioration of Indian polity ?
Whatever terms that you have used to "belittle" the author, the bottomline is "This person cares for the nation and he has expressed his concern on the state of the nation". Let him be pompous ass and what not ? I have read plenty of his articles and I am damn sure that he does not write for money or any material pleasure, neither for fame. No mainstream media provides him column space. In spite of all of it, he does justice to his conviction.
There is a sea of difference between a person's thinking who looks at his own mother as just another old lady and the one who looks at her as his mother.
The RIGHT WING does not see the nation as just a piece of land, but a land with a soul - the Bharat Matha.

I doubt whether you had read the article and then make your comment. May be you have written the comment noting the Author's name itself.
You are terming that the author is biased. Aren't you biased to assume that the "Right Wing" is a "Wrong Wing". Please push aside your prejudice on the author and see the content.
Is our Indian democracy still "for the people","by the people". Can a common man with good intentions wishing to do selfless service contest an election. Kindly do not quote the rule book, but tell me practically "is it possible". Don't you share the concern of the Author about the deterioration of Indian polity ?
Whatever terms that you have used to "belittle" the author, the bottomline is "This person cares for the nation and he has expressed his concern on the state of the nation". Let him be pompous ass and what not ? I have read plenty of his articles and I am damn sure that he does not write for money or any material pleasure, neither for fame. No mainstream media provides him column space. In spite of all of it, he does justice to his conviction.
There is a sea of difference between a person's thinking who looks at his own mother as just another old lady and the one who looks at her as his mother.
The RIGHT WING does not see the nation as just a piece of land, but a land with a soul - the Bharat Matha.

ramakrishnan,

don't get me wrong. nowhere did i say that sundaram should not be heard. i will be the first one to admit his right to be heard.

but to be read, requires a little more thought process than what sundaram can handle, in my opinion.

we had 5 years of BJP lead government, and i think bharata mata was wringing her hands at the indecisions of most of the minstries of BJP ministers. except perhaps murali manohar joshi, who successfully managed to rewrite history to reflect his party's version. :)

sundaram, i think, needs to analyze his thought subject, and give some presentation as to the good points of what the other party stands. not everyone is 100 percent wicked or 100% good. he needs to balance his views, ie every article should be weighing scale, and after presenting his views, as well giving vent to the alternate, come to logical conclusions.

instead, his articles are polemics, which are more befitting the Organizer of the old Jana Sangh. i think it is still there but nowhere near the readership it had of the 60s. definitely, i agree with you, if at all for nothing else but to provide a balance, sundaram must be heard. if not in the mainstream media, atleast in the web publications.

i have read him, liked him once upon a time, then found him repeating himself to monotonous homelies, and of late, i see in him an inflated ego. tough to like such guys, whether they love bharatha matha or not.

thank you :)

Kunjuppu sir,

It was not a BJP government between 1999-2004, but was NDA. The NDA had all unholy partners together including DMK, PMK, TDP, Trinamool and many such parties which were no binding to ideologies of the BJP. The NDA government was only an experiment that proved that a non-congress government too can run for 5 years. It was first of it's kind and Mr.Vajpayee was the paste that brought the cohesion between all the parties. You opine that Mr.Sundaram is not balanced in his views and he does not criticise the BJP. Which party ruled India for most of the period ? Obviously, it is the Congress. The Congress had some good governance under PV N Rao which included the best Economist as the FInance minister in Dr.MMS. All the accusation of Mr.Sundaram is against the dynasty from Nehruji to Indraji to Rajivji to Soniaji and to Rahulji. This dynasty hijacked the whole party and are continuing their monarchy in a so-called "democracy". A party which used to have 400 members out of 543 has diminished to 200 in a matter of 10 years after the emergence of BJP. Even today, the best governed states are only ruled by the non-congress, non-UPA parties.
Sundaram is montonous and there is a reason for it. If a person has a serious would and all the time he feels the pain, he cannot think mcuh beyond the pain and the wound. Let there be balance in the Indian politics and in the Indian media. At present, it is more leaned towards one side and Sundaram cries at this imbalance.
Let BJP rule for 5 years and you can see Sundaram criticising them too.
We have lost a very good language in sanskrit, we have lost the traditional gurukulam system, the large family system and moral value systems to name a few after 1000 years of invader's rule. Now the TV serials, the cricket matches, pop dances, addiction to alcohol, tobacco and all of these have captured the public mind which are the side effects of the modern education. If Joshi was succesful in correcting the history, then it is definitely a blessing for Bharat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back