• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Palm Leaf Manuscripts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

In the coming months, I am planning on digitizing my collection of palm leaf manuscripts. I need help deciphering them as:

1) I do not speak, read, or write Sanskrit
2) I can not read or write Tamil, but I speak it pretty well

I'll upload digitized versions here in DjVu format as it is small and scales extremely well. I am attaching a sample of one of the smaller books I have. It is by no means complete (I only have 6 leaves of a bigger book). Any help in preserving our precious past will be welcome...

Thanks,

Ram

manuscript.jpg

manuscript-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

In the coming months, I am planning on digitizing my collection of palm leaf manuscripts. I need help deciphering them as:

1) I do not speak, read, or write Sanskrit
2) I can not read or write Tamil, but I speak it pretty well

I'll upload digitized versions here in DjVu format as it is small and scales extremely well. I am attaching a sample of one of the smaller books I have. It is by no means complete (I only have 6 leaves of a bigger book). Any help in preserving our precious past will be welcome...

Thanks,

Ram

View attachment 542

View attachment 543

You can approach
i) the State achaelogical dept. near the museum at Egmore, Chennai
ii) Samskrit College, Mylapore

May be if you could get in Dr. Nagaswami, the renowned epigraphist who served in Archaelogical Dept. there is nothing like that.

Regards,
Swami

Sir,
The language is Tamil. May be we can infer the author if some more are uploaded or you can send it to me by email at [email protected]

The Saraswati Mahal library has some good collections, and in case it is in grantha
they can guide us better. Thanks.

hello people,

good someone has reminded me of digitization, my father too has bundles of the ancient palm leaves(in kannada) and we plan to digitize them.

My father is a journalist and a poet by profession,people who know of the palm leaves, approach him to get their readings, none of us in the family intended to inherit them.

so digitization would make them live forever, help in this regard would be appreciated.

Lakshmi

Sir:
I have requested you to upload some more, but there is no response from you.
I am interested to see what they are . Thanks

Sorry guys, been quite busy this past month. I'll go to the University Friday or Saturday and start scanning the leaves. As I said earlier, I have three complete books and two partial books. This will definitely take some time. I'll start with the smaller book of 6 leaves (double-sided). Afterwards, I'll scan the second partial book of 12 leaves and then I'll scan the 3 complete books (which will take considerable time to clean and scan)...

Cheers,

Ram

Last edited:
Dear financial-engineer sir,

Many thanks. I have gone thru' the MS in palm leaf. This is about siddha medicine.
It will be of help to an Ayurvedic/siddha medical practitioner.

Dear financial-engineer sir,

Many thanks. I have gone thru' the MS in palm leaf. This is about siddha medicine.
It will be of help to an Ayurvedic/siddha medical practitioner.

Is it possible for you to re-write it in PDF using a tamil font? With it digitized, I can do some more research. In the mean time, I'll start scanning the other books...

Thanks,

Ram

(Palm, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA, Palm USA | Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses) A manufacturer of smartphones that popularized the handheld personal digital assistant (PDA) market. Palm was founded in 1992 by Jeff Hawkins. Its first PDA, the Zoomer, was unsuccessfully marketed by Tandy. However, after Palm was acquired by U.S. Robotics in 1995, its products took off. In 1996, the PalmPilot 1000 and 5000 sold more than 350,000 units by year end. Although the "Pilot" name was later dropped, it was so catchy that many referred to all Palm PDAs and even non-Palm PDAs as PalmPilots.

The Palm devices popularized the pen interface and handwriting recognition (first called "Graffiti") that was also licensed by Apple for its own organizer (see Newton).

In 1998, the Palm creators left U.S. Robotics, which by then had merged into 3Com, and founded Handspring. Handspring licensed the Palm OS and introduced the Visor, the first Palm PDA clone.

In 2000, Palm was spun off as a separate company, and in 2002 was divided into independent businesses: palmOne for hardware and PalmSource for software. Later renamed Palm, Inc., palmOne produced PDAs and smartphones. In 2003, Palm acquired the Treo brand from Handspring, which was designed to combine PDA and cellphone, and the Palm product line eventually evolved into smartphones only, including the Pre, Treo and Centro models.

PalmSource was set up to license the Palm OS platform and HotSync technology that synchronizes data between handhelds and PCs. Running on a variety of CPUs from Motorola, Intel, TI and ARM, the Palm OS has been used in more than 40 million handhelds and smartphones worldwide. In 2005, PalmSource became a subsidiary of Japan-based ACCESS CO., LTD., changing its name to ACCESS a year later and licensing the source code back to Palm, Inc. See PDA.

betel palm
noun A tropical Asian feather-leaved palm (Areca catechu) cultivated for its seeds. Also called catechu.

cabbage palm
noun Any of several palms, such as the assai, with edible terminal bud

moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png
moz-screenshot-7.png
date palm noun A palm tree (Phoenix dactylifera) of western Asia and northern Africa and cultivated also in California, having featherlike leaves and bearing clusters of dates.

fan palm any palm tree with broad, fan-shaped leaves

Palm leaf manuscript refers to documents written on palm leaf which was a practice in vouge
before the entry of paper.I can't understand the relevance of the postings on this thread as it
has nothing to say about 'manuscript'.

Dear Sir / Madam
I hava a flatbed scanner at home and I can help you to take scanned copies of the palm leaves into pdf format suitable for uploading but the size of the palm leaves should be within A4 size and you should have the owner's permission for digitalisation and uploading to avoid legal problems. Further as I am a senior citizen with health problems making outdoor mobility very restricted, I am afraid that the palm leaves may have to be delivered at my home ( I live at T.Nagar, Chennai) and taken back after scanning.
balavas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back