• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

some basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

drb

Greetings,
I was reading a book on Maha meru. Though not well written, it provided some information which puzzled me. I hope fellow forum'ers can clarify my doubts.

1. Author said first God is 'Sri Parabrahmam' (Viswakarma) and his wife (Viswakarmini). From where 5 deva's - Siva, Vishnu, Brahma, Indiran and Suriyan came with respective wives. I am confused.
2. Mahameru is unification of parabrahmam. which God is being worshipped with Mahameru?
3. He claims each veda is written by a Rishi who is the son of respective Gods. For example Yajur is by Sanathan rishi who is son of Vishnu.

Please clarify.

Greetings,
I was reading a book on Maha meru. Though not well written, it provided some information which puzzled me. I hope fellow forum'ers can clarify my doubts.

1. Author said first God is 'Sri Parabrahmam' (Viswakarma) and his wife (Viswakarmini). From where 5 deva's - Siva, Vishnu, Brahma, Indiran and Suriyan came with respective wives. I am confused.
2. Mahameru is unification of parabrahmam. which God is being worshipped with Mahameru?
3. He claims each veda is written by a Rishi who is the son of respective Gods. For example Yajur is by Sanathan rishi who is son of Vishnu.

Please clarify.
Dear Shri drb,

mahameru is IMO, a Buddhist concept, basically. It has some Tantrik connotations also. Somehow, as with many other aspects of Hinduism, this Mahameru came to be made as a 3-dimensional figure of Sreechakram and worshipped like any idol or icon (Sivalingam, Salagramam, etc.) so that the shodasopachaara pooja could be done. (This is not possible for a Sreechakram picture, especially, the abhishekam part.) This Sreechakra Mahameru pooja was done by Lalita worshippers with the Tantric interest and is, in a very strict view, not compatible with the original vedic hinduism; it forms part of later accretion to hindu beliefs and is borrowed from Buddhistic Tantric mode of worship. Tantric worship is called "vaamaachaara" and prohibited at some places but certain other items have become appealing to the people and hence have now become accepted. Even in the Lalita (Rajarajesvari) Tantrik worship mode, there are, reportedly, some vaamaachaara steps which are not made public except to those who are real adepts. That is how these worship forms have become acceptable, I am told. For example, I understand that in Muthuswamy Deekshitar's Devi Navaavarana Keertanas, there is one more, the tenth, which is still secret, passed on only by oral instructions, and is accompanied by some special secret rites.

The "mahameru" has, of late, become a commodity aggressively exploited through telemarketing and all that. Therefore, some story could have been made to make the mahameru the highest of all the gods. You may ask the author of the book as to what the supporting evidence/s are and the source/s based on which he is making such claims.

Last edited:
Meru was a mountain which was near Kashmir and destroyed after maha Bharatha war. A Stone from a comet fall on Meru that formed a Kahmir lake, in B.C. 1200- 1150 and there is a quote on this in Mohanjadaro Seals. I am having a map that shows the Meru Mountain in India near Kashmir.

Some 13,000 years back, there was a big bang in South Pole that a section of moon from Satrun fall on South Pole and that people moved from South Pole to North to escape and landed in Meru. According to Bala gangathara Thilak the Vedas were created by People who lived in South Pole and were traveling from South Pole to North Pole and that is how Brahmins settled in Meru and Western Indian mountains in sea shore and said Parasurama created a land for them.
The Five Devas are 5 planets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back