• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

history of religions, in 90 seconds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
namaskarams: i found this interesting. sharing with friends in this forum:

Interesting map, fast paced. NO sound.
Here is a brief but interesting flash presentation of the History of Religion in 90 seconds -Geographical Evolution.
How has the geography of religion evolved over the centuries, and where has it sparked wars? This map gives us a brief history of the world's most well-known religions: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Judaism. Selected periods of inter-religious bloodshed are also highlighted. Want to see 5,000 years of religion in 90 seconds? Check below link:
http://www.mapsofwa r.com/images/ Religion. swf

some food for thought! -- rj.

Last edited:
thanx a million, Raghy-ji. (in a world where i am more used to "....link posted not working FULL STOP?Period...", this is a fresh breath of positivism blowing in very pleasantly, providing the right link....perhaps, a hall mark of this forum, or some friends?) cheers, regards: rj.

Apologies if I am striking a wrong note here, but this presentation is a bit skewed, IMO. A couple of observations:

-> US annihilation of the native race is termed as expansion.

-> While fascism, democracy etc have their colours, there is a white patch which is left unexplained - colonialism.

Regards,

Apologies if I am striking a wrong note here, but this presentation is a bit skewed, IMO. A couple of observations:

-> US annihilation of the native race is termed as expansion.

-> While fascism, democracy etc have their colours, there is a white patch which is left unexplained - colonialism.

Regards,

saptha,

i do owe an apology as a pro-active statement to my posting.

not only am i aware of your sensitivities but also in tune with you, re the anguish and pain, that you referred to in a post some time ago, addressed to me...

while i have commented somewhat clinically to your post, i am also troubled by sometimes that we as tamil brahmins, hold ourselves to higher standards of morals and behaviours, especially among the critiques in this forum, including myself.

please be assured, the last thing that i want is a self destruction of our community - especially the best of our culture - ie the erudition, simplicity and above all a passion for knowledge.

unfortunately, my own experiences, have been brunted by the worst of brahminism, and though i have to acknowledge that over the years i have come to view it in the light of overall life experience, at the time when these occurred, they presented to me the worst of brahminism.

with this preamle, i hope you don't mind my comments below. as always, with deepest respect....

--> thoughtful folks in the west look upon the annhilation of the native races as something that their ancestors did and do treat it with shame.

---> in the same vein, there is an element of racial memory among the nattaars (nadars) of tamil nadu as being driven down south a couple of thousand years ago by the invading folks from central asia - the sense of deprivation of the whole lands north of the vindhyas.

personally i do not go there, only because, for every wrong that i think done to the tamil brahmins, there are even more wrongs done by our ancestors on those tamil kin around us.

best sleeping dogs sleep. and deep at that one too. tread softly and do not wake them up. who know which dogs of war they will unleash?

Last edited:
namaskarams: Valid comments and good debating points above, more food for thought: what i had in mind, when i looked at the 90 sec's presentation, was the 'age' of Hinduism, which is probably many centuries older than the 5000years+, suggested therein. a westerner's quote, familiar to many of us, Brahmins, says in essence that The Brahmin is the only person in the whole world, who can talk of his oldest ancestor, older by far than any other's ancestor -- this, i think, was in the context of a discussion on 'gothra' lineage, and saptha-rishi's and thence the facility of brahmins to trace back the ancestry to a point of time much further! quite an interesting debating point! regards&love, rj.

dear shri kunjuppu,

i am sorry if i had struck a belligerent impression of my attitude/thoughts in the minds of seniors like you, in this forum.

while that is not the intention, words sometimes fail to obey my command...:loco:! at times like that, i thank you for being patient with the outcome...

while i have commented somewhat clinically to your post, i am also troubled by sometimes that we as tamil brahmins, hold ourselves to higher standards of morals and behaviours, especially among the critiques in this forum, including myself.
i fail to understand this; do you intend to say that, while endorsing in paper, we hardly practise in reality?

please be assured, the last thing that i want is a self destruction of our community - especially the best of our culture - ie the erudition, simplicity and above all a passion for knowledge.
that would require brahmins to really accept and understand the vedas. now that a particular section is well off, there has to be a gradual change from the materialistic to the spiritual callling - that for which we are born.

unfortunately, my own experiences, have been brunted by the worst of brahminism, and though i have to acknowledge that over the years i have come to view it in the light of overall life experience, at the time when these occurred, they presented to me the worst of brahminism.
this happens to everyone; but why should we restrict ourselves only to what we see.

best sleeping dogs sleep. and deep at that one too. tread softly and do not wake them up. who know which dogs of war they will unleash?
while i agree with you partly, i would say that different acts cannot be compared per se.

regards,

dear shri kunjuppu,

i am sorry if i had struck a belligerent impression of my attitude/thoughts in the minds of seniors like you, in this forum.

saptha,

i think i was not clear enough. the issue is not you, but me. as someone who thinks almost mirror image of your views, i make it a point to be of utmost respect to you.

i have found you very learned and righteously convinced of your faith, of which, i appreciate. i am no more elder to you than your son. all of us are equal, and pray do not put me on a pedestal.

i have also come to realize, in many a case, changes can be anguising as seen from the eyes of tradition. that i do not have respect for tradition is another matter, but that should not prevent me from being sensitive to folks like you.

to me there are natural allies like nara, with whom i agree on many things, but do not have his sense of dogged committment. then there are others like happy or renuka who are probably the future faces of hinduism.

rvr and his likes, do a noble job to salvage and help out our poorer brethren. in each way we live and observe to an extent the handmedowns of our heritage.

my earlier note to you was in that context. hope this response (somewhat) clears it up. or maybe not (!)

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back