• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

thayathi's

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

durga

hello
i'm new comer of this site
and my father belong to bhramin community and presently staying in Mumbai for the last 15 years. He wanted to know about his thayathi's. H e belongs to Haritha Gothram. and his native place is Agaram village of Villupuram dist. Tamil Nadu. ( the village is located between Mannurpettai - Tiruvannamalai). His Kuladeivam is PERIYANDAVAR. They used to conduct the Kuladeiva Poojai in regular interval. However after the death of his father they wanted to conduct the poojas in future. so if anybody know about his thayathi's and how / when to perform the poojas. :help:

my father was orphaned by the time he was 3 years old. his entire upbringing was at his maternal aunt's house. there was no contact or any offer of help to help giving him a foothold in his life.

when he was close to 40, a gentleman knocked on our doors. he looked around our house and introduced himself as my father's first cousin on the paternal side ie my paternal grandfather's younger brother.

he claimed our blood relationship. my father was initially overjoyed, for he had no clue of the whereabouts of his dad's side of relations.
a couple of visits were exchanged.

poverty is not an excuse to exclusion. but an excuse of poverty to inclusive expectations in the name of dayaathis, was something new to my dad.

every function came & soon we were expected to chip in for the vadhyar sambavanai or the cost of the cook etc. to feed people or take care of souls whom we hardly knew. the said dhaayaadhis were a chennai bus driver, the other had a small coffee club in ambattur, and the third brother was a good for nothing.

very soon, my dad found out the purpose of the newly found dhayaadhis was to treat him like a milk cow, and very soon we distanced ourselves from this crowd. a few months later we got a call, that another paternal cousin had passed away in one of the palakkad villages and instructed us to adhere to pelai. very quickly and firmly, my dad, told him that since we did not know him, we had no pelais as far as he was concerned, and told them not to call or call on us anymore.

thus ended the concept of dhaayaadhis in my home.

an interesting side story. a maternal cousin of mine, on a sentimental mood, took to visiting the various villages of palghat. in one of the villages, he came across a gentleman who looked a mirror image of him. overjoyed, he approached him, and soon they were into a pleasant chat.. and over the course of which..

he discovered

that his grandfather paternal side, had a chinna veedu, and this guy was a byproduct of that small house. i knew this story all along, but my cousin did not. ;)

our blessed ancestors had as much vices as us. perhaps more, and indulged in prejudices, which to us, look not only blatant racistic, but also cruel.

my personal view, on folks here, who think our moral fibre is being unwoven, my retort, is that our ancestral memory is a myth, fed by fond wishes and an assumed greatness, which never was, and within which were stains of deceipt and prejudice.

thank you.

oh podungo for kujuppu.my maternal grandfather had two wives and n number of unions in chandu pondu :) my paternal grandfather had two wives but i am unaware of chandu pondus,i myself had n number of unions before marriage, after marriage i have got a disease called 'single vaginitis syndrome' so never cheated my wife thus far,dunno what will happen in the future,as i am basically polygamous in nature

.........i myself had n number of unions before marriage, after marriage i have got a disease called 'single vaginitis syndrome' so never cheated my wife thus far,dunno what will happen in the future,as i am basically polygamous in nature
Ok, so now this establishes the fact that your wife does not visit this forum....! :whistle:

Ok, so now this establishes the fact that your wife does not visit this forum....! :whistle:

ada paavi baduva,shundaiya killapidawa pole irrukirthukku :first:

ennamadhiri veetiu-:embarassed:karar kidaithirukkundu avo ninachundu irukka

hello
i'm new comer of this site
and my father belong to bhramin community and presently staying in Mumbai for the last 15 years. He wanted to know about his thayathi's. H e belongs to Haritha Gothram. and his native place is Agaram village of Villupuram dist. Tamil Nadu. ( the village is located between Mannurpettai - Tiruvannamalai). His Kuladeivam is PERIYANDAVAR. They used to conduct the Kuladeiva Poojai in regular interval. However after the death of his father they wanted to conduct the poojas in future. so if anybody know about his thayathi's and how / when to perform the poojas. :help:
I have registered today as a new member mainly to share my knowledge regarding Periyandavar near Tirukkoilur, who is our Kuladeivam also.
The correct Location and address are as under:-
Sri Gurukkal,
son of Late M.Sabharatna Sivachariar Gurukkal,
Periyandavar Temple,
T. Puduppalayam P.O.,Sithilingamadam,(via)Tirukoilur-South Arcot District Tamil Nadu-605 803
Actually, I am told by my eldest brother, who had gone to the place in 1975 or so, and done the Pooja,that there is no temple or deity .Periyandavar is a Grama devata. The priest, the late Shri Sabharatna Gurukkal Shivachariar used to collect some amount Rs 500/-or so in 1994, and would do some "Padayal" in the nearby forest on a certain day of the month. When the Padayal used to be taken through the street of the village for Neivedhyam, one person will be beating a drum as an indication and all the residents used to close their doors and windows not to see it. No Prasadam is given to the worshippers. Only Holy Ashes would be sent by post. There is an important stricture that the Holy Ashes of Periyandavar can be worn on the forehad only by the Male Members of the family, Daughters- in- law who have married into the family and unmarried daughters of the family.
At the time of my daughter's marriage in 1994, I had sent the marriage Invitation by post to Late Sabharatna Gurukkal Shivachariar and to our pleasant surprise he graced the marriage by his presence and blessed the couple and also brought the Holy Ashes after performing the Padayal on our behalf without any advance payment!! :rockon:( The charges were Rs 750/- plus his conveyance to and fro Sithilingamadam -Chennai)
We learn that after his demise , nowadays his son is in charge of the Pooja for Periyandavar. We are also told that the Pooja is being performed in a nearby temple. I hope this information is useful.
Regards
A.N.Sapthagireesan,Thane(W)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back