• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hindu New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a general misconception that "Prabhavaadhi shashti samvatsaras" beginning from 'Prabhava" is Tamil New Year. From Kashmir to Kanyakumari or Dwarka to Asansol, the New Year starts when Sun enters Mesha (or Aries). Though we Tamils call it correctly (forget about DMK's NY), others call it at the advent of popular festival. Like Chingam in Kerala, Diwali for Gujarati, Yugadi/Gudi Paadwa for Telgu, Kannad or Maharashtrians. In astrological calculations the New Year or New Name of the year is mentioned when the Sun enters Mesha. As for the Lunar year, probably it could be because of Arabic or Islamic influence. Even in the name of months a relative pattern is only followed. In case of Maharashtrian New Year, Gudi Padwa, the name Chaitra is given not because it is Chaitra month, but because waning(dark fortnight) Prathamai will begin from Chitra Nakshatra. All months are named this way. Astrologically or rather astronomically Sun is placed in Mesha about our time, i.e April 13 or 14. The basic idea or calculation is same, but every body wants to show they are different. It is time we all vote for uniformity in calling New Year and remove misconception. I look forward to experts opinions. Regards

There is a general misconception that "Prabhavaadhi shashti samvatsaras" beginning from 'Prabhava" is Tamil New Year. From Kashmir to Kanyakumari or Dwarka to Asansol, the New Year starts when Sun enters Mesha (or Aries). Though we Tamils call it correctly (forget about DMK's NY), others call it at the advent of popular festival. Like Chingam in Kerala, Diwali for Gujarati, Yugadi/Gudi Paadwa for Telgu, Kannad or Maharashtrians. In astrological calculations the New Year or New Name of the year is mentioned when the Sun enters Mesha. As for the Lunar year, probably it could be because of Arabic or Islamic influence. Even in the name of months a relative pattern is only followed. In case of Maharashtrian New Year, Gudi Padwa, the name Chaitra is given not because it is Chaitra month, but because waning(dark fortnight) Prathamai will begin from Chitra Nakshatra. All months are named this way. Astrologically or rather astronomically Sun is placed in Mesha about our time, i.e April 13 or 14. The basic idea or calculation is same, but every body wants to show they are different. It is time we all vote for uniformity in calling New Year and remove misconception. I look forward to experts opinions. Regards
hi ,
you are rite....but only tamil nadu dk govt never follow chithirai..
they are different gennes...so they follow jan 14...i e thai masam
new year for dravida parties....

regards
tbs

Namaskarangal....

How come they will celebrate Thai as a new year..... Who are they...?
Whether they are the only representative for whole tamil Peoples...?

One Query...

In Sangalppam we need to say that particular day.... i know sunday its called Banu Vasaram. can i get the names for other days....

Thangal Vithayen
V.V.Visranth

Induvaram or Somavaram for Monday, Bhouma varam for Tuesday, Soumya varam for Wednesday, Guruvaram or Brihaspati varam for Thursday, Brigu varam or shukravaram fr Friday and Sthiravaram or Sanivaram for Saturday.

In the sankalpam we mention the Tamil New year which falls on April 14 only.

How can we change the sankalpa mantra.

I think it is confusing to change new year to Mesha month.

All the best

Namaskaram

Induvaram or Somavaram for Monday, Bhouma varam for Tuesday, Soumya varam for Wednesday, Guruvaram or Brihaspati varam for Thursday, Brigu varam or shukravaram fr Friday and Sthiravaram or Sanivaram for Saturday.

Thanks a Lot Sir...

Thankgal Vitheyan
V.V.Visranth

New Year Sankalpa

In the sankalpam we mention the Tamil New year which falls on April 14 only.

How can we change the sankalpa mantra.

I think it is confusing to change new year to Mesha month.

All the best
Namaskaram RVR Sir,

I am sorry either I am confused or I have confused. The sankalpa will remain as usual and as follows: ... prabhavadhi shashti samvatsaranam madhye VIKRUTI nama samvatsare uttarayane, vasantha rithou, MESHA maase, krishna pakshe, amavasyayam punyathithou, soumya vasara yukhtayam, Revati nakshatra yukhtayam, vaidhrutinama* yoga (vishnuyoga) Chatushpada* Karana (or vishnukarana) yukhthayam, evam guna...... amavasyayam punyathithou, .... gotranam MESHA Sankramana punyakale.......
so it will proceed. Please note when Sun enters every raasi of the 12 houses, it is called sankramanam, of which the most important sankramana kaalam, mesha as above, karkataka (Dakshinayana) sankramana, Thula sankramana (Iypasi mada porappu), Makara Sankaramana (Thai mada porappu) Uttarayanam. Yogas and karanas are not pronounced because of difficulty in determining their currency every time.

There are 27 yogas (like stars) half of yoga is Karana which are 11 repeat themselves in cycle. I hope I have not confused more. All the best and regards

Last edited:
re

hi ,
you are rite....but only tamil nadu dk govt never follow chithirai..
they are different gennes...so they follow jan 14...i e thai masam
new year for dravida parties....

regards
tbs

dmk made it jan 14

but actual astronomy or vedic calculation is dec 21/22 ie winter solstice is the exact uttara-ayanam start day

Origin of Tamil Calendar

Could someone throw light on the origin of Tamil Calendar please? When and how did the Tamil Calendar evolve? It must have begun from a particular day. Some group of people, obviously Tamilians in Tamil Nadu must have assembled together and decided to choose a day to begin counting days from then. There must have been some significance on that day. An astronomical event could have occurred which may be the base. Or the day may be someone's birthday. Or some historic event may have happened. There must be some significance on that day. The chances that it was arbitrarily or randomly chosed are remote.

Moreover New Years are relative phenomenon. They are relative to the calendar. There is no absolute New Year day.

Sounds like Telugu names for the days of the week. If I am incorrect, could u please tell me which language these words belong to? Are they Sanskrit words?

re

Could someone throw light on the origin of Tamil Calendar please? When and how did the Tamil Calendar evolve? It must have begun from a particular day. Some group of people, obviously Tamilians in Tamil Nadu must have assembled together and decided to choose a day to begin counting days from then. There must have been some significance on that day. An astronomical event could have occurred which may be the base. Or the day may be someone's birthday. Or some historic event may have happened. There must be some significance on that day. The chances that it was arbitrarily or randomly chosed are remote.

Moreover New Years are relative phenomenon. They are relative to the calendar. There is no absolute New Year day.

iyer

tamils,keralites in south,follow a solar calendar,which is scientifically and logically accurate.moreover tamils,use seasons as markers.that is why spring is given importance based on 6 ritus in calendar.dec21/22 is winter solstice when suns path changes direction which we call uttara-ayanam.we usually used the suns trajectory.but then moons orbit is also considered and that is why in karnataka andhra in south have new years early unlike tamils and keralites in april 14.this is more constant.moon travels in 27 nakshatras or mansions every 2 days,therefore waxing and waning moon,shukla and krishna paksha every fortnightly.

reason why astronomy was used becoz its easier to remember for dating purposes ,even today all our lord goddesses important events are remembered easily.

pope gregory was presented with a mathematical genius algorithm,which is very very accurate,so its called gregorian calendar,which is purely maths and very easy to adapt.

with our calendars solar is very easy,but when moon is coupled it become luni-solar calendar as rashtriya panchangam.technically pongal is our starting celeberation in a year,this dmk has done correctly,but as usual,becoz its dmk there is opposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_calendar

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel its a Hindu New Year instead of a specific Tamil New Year becos even Northern Indians have the same calendar..
As far as I know Ugadi for Telegus is totally a different month all togather...
Gujarati New Year also is totally many months different..

These are the 2 exceptions I know otherwise the rest of India have a more or less similar new year...

iyer

tamils,keralites in south,follow a solar calendar,which is scientifically and logically accurate.moreover tamils,use seasons as markers.that is why spring is given importance based on 6 ritus in calendar.dec21/22 is winter solstice when suns path changes direction which we call uttara-ayanam.we usually used the suns trajectory.but then moons orbit is also considered and that is why in karnataka andhra in south have new years early unlike tamils and keralites in april 14.this is more constant.moon travels in 27 nakshatras or mansions every 2 days,therefore waxing and waning moon,shukla and krishna paksha every fortnightly.

reason why astronomy was used becoz its easier to remember for dating purposes ,even today all our lord goddesses important events are remembered easily.

pope gregory was presented with a mathematical genius algorithm,which is very very accurate,so its called gregorian calendar,which is purely maths and very easy to adapt.

with our calendars solar is very easy,but when moon is coupled it become luni-solar calendar as rashtriya panchangam.technically pongal is our starting celeberation in a year,this dmk has done correctly,but as usual,becoz its dmk there is opposition.

Tamil calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey Nachi Naga Ji....

You seem to be very knowledgable....Keep it up man...You rock...

renu

Start of day, month, year - For 4 quadrants of a circle, there are 4 alternate points of start of day or
year. A day can start at any of positions of sun at local horizon- (i) sunrise is natural starting point because
people wake up and start their work.
(ii)Noon time is used for using sun shadow for latitude and time. Day of pitar (dead souls) starts then.
(iii) From evening movement closes and astronomical observation can start. Day of asura (nishachara)
starts at evening. Now this system remains in Hebrew and Islamic calendar.
(iv) Mid night is starting of day of devas. It is convenient for calculating time because midnight comes
simultaneously at all places of same longitude.
Similarly, year also has 4 points of starting.
when sun crosses equator in (uttarayana)northward motion, on equinox(equal day-night)-called
sayana mesha(0 degree) entry of sun-spring equinox on 23rd march
ii. When sun reaches north end of the journey (summer solstice) and starts southward journey
(dakshinayana) on 23rd June-sayan karka(90degree).
iii. When sun crosses equator in southward motion-autumnal equinox on 23rd September-entry of sun
in sayan tula(180 degree)
iv. When sun reaches south extreme(winter solstice) and starts northward journey(uttarayana) on 22nd
December-sun entry in sayan makar (270 degree)
Luni-solar years start in the months in which these events occur. In India we are using fixed-star system of
zodiac (sidereal system-nirayan in sanskrit), which is about 24 degrees more than sayan, i.e. sun enters 24
days later. Ayana or equinox point is moving backwards in about 26,000 years i.e. 1 month (30degree sun
motion) in about 2000years .This is the reason of creating new samvatsars at intervals of 2 or 3 thousand
years. Even solar year like original Julian, now Gregorian calendar does not start with the exact points of
sun’s entry in the zodiac signs. This is commonly called Christian calendar but it has nothing to do with
Christianity. It was started by Julius Caeser, emperor of Roman Empire in 46 BC. His descendants actually
crucified Jesus Christ, but later on this empire became headquarter of Christianity. Original plan was to start
the year at point of winter solstice, but the practice was to start month from new moon day all over the world.
So in spite f government order, the year started 7 days after winter solstice. The original intended day of
start of year was called Christmas. There is system of year end leave called panchratra in Vedas(it is
Shadah or six days after every 4 years),Christmas leave or haz in Islam. In India divya day (day of devas)or
year starts with start of uttarayana or winter solstice. Bhishma Pitamaha waited for 58 days after falling on
bed of arrows on 10th day of Mahabharat war in 3139 BC. Thus Christmas day is date of demise of Bhishma.
Date of demise of Jesus Christ is not confirmed-date of crucification is unknown and there is Islamic tradition
that he did not die and was cured after which he peacefully settled in Kashmir(called Hazarat Bal).
Bhavishya Purana also mentions his meeting with king Shalivahana after his shaka in 78 AD there. As it is
start of ‘divya-dina’, it is commonly called ‘bada-dina’. Divya or solar year starts with this month so Krishna
has said in Gita(10/35) that he is Margashirsha among months. Month is given this name because on fullmoon
day of this month, moon is in mrigashira nakshatra. It is called ‘Agrahayana’ because it is start (agra)
of ‘Hayana’ or year. Year has two halves or ayans-Uttar(north) and dakshin(south)-there sum is hayana or
complete year. Similarly in chemistry, positive and negative parts of a molecule are called ‘ion’
‘Usha’(twilight) period of divya-dina of 365 days is of 15.5 days, so 16 days before start of Margashirsha,
‘bada-osha’ is observed in Orissa.
Agriculture starts with spring when harsh winter is gone, so spring equinox is generally start of year. It
coincided with sun entry in mesh(0 degree) in 285 AD. Now it is on 14th April. There is alternative start of the
year from the other equinox on 23rd June, now sun enters tula on 14th July. After that another agriculture
season starts and more importantly, sea journeys start from the next month of Karttika. From summer
solstice, no year starts, but it is Ratha-yatra of Jagannath on first day of sighting moon in Ashadha month.
Ashadha is called ‘Akhada’(gymnasium), and it is start of exercises and sports functions like Olympics.
Start of lunar month can be of two types (i).
From new-moon day-this is called ‘amanta’ i.e. ending on amavasya. On that day moon stays
(vasya) with (ama) sun.
(ii) . From full moon day(purnima)- This is called purnimanta.
There is no dispute between followers of solar and lunar years in India- both are matched with introduction
of extra lunar month after about 32 months. For calculation purpose all our months are solar. Every maker of
panchanga first calculates ‘sankranti’ or entry time of sun in different signs. The lunar month of ‘amanta’ type
in which there is no sankranti is called ‘adhika’(extra). For, festivals, fasting etc. phase of moon is important,
because moon controls our mind (born from mind of the great Purusha), so lunar months are calculated
next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Rekka,

Actually Its not just Telugu New Year and Gujarati New year thats totally different and all the rest the same. As far as I know Tamil New year, Vishu, Vaisakhi, Bengali New Year, Thai (Songkran) and some other SEA new years are usually together or 1-2 days difference.

Telugu New Year, Kannada New Year, Maharashtrian New Year (Gudi Padwa), Kashmiri, Manipuri, Sindhi new year and some other communities fall almost together.

I don't know why Gujarati and some other northern Indian communities consider Diwali as their new year.

Dear Rekka,

Actually Its not just Telugu New Year and Gujarati New year thats totally different and all the rest the same. As far as I know Tamil New year, Vishu, Vaisakhi, Bengali New Year, Thai (Songkran) and some other SEA new years are usually together or 1-2 days difference.

Telugu New Year, Kannada New Year, Maharashtrian New Year (Gudi Padwa), Kashmiri, Manipuri, Sindhi new year and some other communities fall almost together.

I don't know why Gujarati and some other northern Indian communities consider Diwali as their new year.

amala

Diwali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

deep is light deepam oli in tamizh.

iyer

Tamil calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Nachi Naga. Plenty of information indeed. But you have not answered my most important query. What was the historic event that heralded the beginning of the Tamil Calender? For example it could have been the birthday of Agasthyar or the day when Agasthyar took to sanyasa or it could be the birthday of Thiruvalluvar or the some significant day in Thiruvalluvar's life or it could be the day when any of the Tamil Kings Chera, Chola or Pandya decided to start counting days from !!!

For example there are different versions for the first day of the Gregorian Calendar. Some say that was the day the city of Rome was completed and dedicated to their gods, some say that was the day Romulus was anointed King of Rome etc.

They are Sanskrit words. To denote a week, once upon a time Tamilians used 'Kizhamai' or 'kizhamai vattam' and not 'vaaram'.

While deciding the start of a year, month etc., the latitude as well as the longitude of the place count. That's why, the new year cannot be uniform.

Only in Tamil and Malayalam calendars, lunar movements and solar movements are both taken into account, unlike in Kannada, Telugu and Marathi which adopt lunar movements alone. Thus, ours is a solar calendar, while others are lunar calendars.

Thanks Nachi Naga. Plenty of information indeed. But you have not answered my most important query. What was the historic event that heralded the beginning of the Tamil Calender? For example it could have been the birthday of Agasthyar or the day when Agasthyar took to sanyasa or it could be the birthday of Thiruvalluvar or the some significant day in Thiruvalluvar's life or it could be the day when any of the Tamil Kings Chera, Chola or Pandya decided to start counting days from !!!

For example there are different versions for the first day of the Gregorian Calendar. Some say that was the day the city of Rome was completed and dedicated to their gods, some say that was the day Romulus was anointed King of Rome etc.

iyer

tamils use sun only as moons shine is like reflected glory.

tamils start is season as the foundation of the calendars as per sanga illakiya litreature available with us.

tamils themselves are immigrants from africa,and now i realise so is every human species.africa is our root motherland,imho.

so,let me research about africa to get exact origin for tamil calendar.

if,mahaswamigals preachings are accepted from kamakoti.org he clearly defines,that astronomical dating,at best will still be a guess work.i just believe him - period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back