• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vinnaithandi Varuvaya

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

blue moons come more often than my venturing to see an output of the kodambakkam studios. i say this as truthfully as i could, without any sense of pride or shame. it just so happens.

which is surprising, because thanks to our sri lankan tamil cousins, toronto is full of video shops, which purvey clear copies of the originals, at around $1 per piece, and my wife, is among the thousands of tamils here from both the island and the mainland, who let the clocks tick away to the almost continuous streaming of kollywood and bollywood bi-products.

in this context விண்ணைத்தாண்டி வருவாயா was a surprise. a story about an engineer who forsakes it for a movie cameraman apprenticeship, a younger hindu chasing an older kerala catholic girl.

the portrayal of the love lorn youth is something which brought me back from my own youth. only in india, i say, that we have romantic men, hard headed women and stone headed parents.

i have not yet seen a western youth (white,brown, yellow, black) variety here, who swoon and moan at the sight of their loved one a la kollywood or bollywood. i have seen a few, including some in my own household.

i think, india is perhaps the last bastion of unrequited romantic love.

whatever you may think, suggest you enjoy this rather haunting number. can't seem to get it out of my head :)

YouTube - Hosanna (Hallo) [VIDEO 30sec only] [FULL SONG] - A.R Rahman in Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya

Last edited:
I saw this last month. i thought it was very interesting especially since the ending was different to the usual live-happily-ever-after-together endings that usual in Kollywood/Bollywood films.

I totally agree that hardly are there western youths swooning and going through all that unrequited love. Call me cynical but I put it down to the easy availablity of largely dispensable loved ones or perhaps the western youths just aren't as masochistic as their subcontinent counterparts.

I.......... Call me cynical but I put it down to the easy availablity of largely dispensable loved ones or perhaps the western youths just aren't as masochistic as their subcontinent counterparts.

amala,

perhaps reality is different from imagination. one can plan the ideal love and love lost. but reality is all shadows of gray, is it not?

once upon a time, long ago in india, i used to think, from hearsay ofcourse, that folks in the west had no depth of love. at the drop of a hat, a partner would stray away for a night, in search of immediate gratification.

all this ofcourse was well fortified by tales of supposed infidelity of white women, in our stories, myths and above all wishful thinking about the unattainable.

today, i see, our boys, hanging out with white girls. and vice versa. the myth is lost, and reality, is one of slow growth of relationship, constant calculation of compromises and math, and beyond a well defined 'straw on the camel's back', the youngsters have no compunction of cutting future losses.

unlike our youth, who think of marriage, the first non-meeting. which probably is the cause of many angst and unhappy households, as within the institution of marriage, many of them are confined to the old ways of social acceptance and fear of ostracism.

i am saying this more as an observation, and not out of great faith in one culture or the other. just what i see. :) i think i see.

Sri Kunjuppu ji,

Your are right...

No doubt that you say what you see...The level of experience and the extent of social/family exposure you got in Canada and India, per se.

As u have observed, great faith in one culture or the other doesn’t stand good in due course of time. Evolution in youths are bound to take place with no limitations to geographical boundaries.

You got the right caption - romantic men, hard headed women and stone headed parents, and these seems to be Indian phenomena. Again the same would not prevail among Indian folks settled abroad. Either our India settled girls have practical approach towards life or unable to hold certainty in Love. Either our guys have over confidence to win over unrequited love or lack the understanding of practical life.

Whatever, swooning in love is the basic human tendency and it’s success depends on the other person's feel and response to the same level. Natural love without any botherations to the variations seems to be ruled out in today's world. May stand good in western society that got its own ulterior motives where in majority, in my opinion, no sentiments and obligations attached to pairing with some one for life. This may, in my opinion, justifies Amala's claim that western youths aren’t as masochistic as their subcontinent counterparts. Often Love is considered to be important in physical level.

Romeo-Juliet, Laila-Majnu ...kinda love is now outdated. We can say, true love hardly exists. If such a love exists than those people would be considered fool by the outside world.

Last edited:
There are many cases of hard headed young men with swooning women and hardheaded young men, with hard hearted parents and abused wife, RaviJi. This instant, constant vilifying of women as hard headed is extremely amusing at best and annoying at worst, for me anyway.

amala,

you are correct. all generalizations, including this, is in error.

i think we were talking of stereotypes. even there we can find aberrations. so let us cofine our discussions to VTV movie.

we are on safe grounds then :)

There are many cases of hard headed young men with swooning women and hardheaded young men, with hard hearted parents and abused wife, RaviJi. This instant, constant vilifying of women as hard headed is extremely amusing at best and annoying at worst, for me anyway.

Common Amala, I am not cynical...I am not generalizing as well. Plus and minus are on both sides...We guys here tend to project the other side. :blabla:, nothing more and no distress..

Do you know something? I got a very soft hearted and fun headed person to befriend with.:)

amala,

you are correct. all generalizations, including this, is in error.

i think we were talking of stereotypes. even there we can find aberrations. so let us cofine our discussions to VTV movie.

we are on safe grounds then :)

Sri Kunjuppu ji, again you are right....we were talking of stereotypes and aberrations always tend to exists.

Let us keep Amala happy and help her remain charming...:)

You know this Romeo-Juliet..Laila-Majnu type of love..they never lived to get married...if they had got married..may be Romeo could have had an extrmarital affair..Juliet could have been a desperate housewife..
Laila would have been busy in the hospital dragging Majnu for his appointments with a Psychiatrist...
Well we would have not known the outcome...
They died off too soon.....

renu

Dr.Renuka ji,

Do you think that Romeo-Juliet; Laila-Majnu type of love was only physically motivated and Romeo and Majnu were sexually imbalanced to the extent of hurting their better half?

Here my reference to Romeo-Juliet & Laila-Majnu type of love is to indicate the absence of unrequited love and the presence of killer instinct in them to live for each other and die for each other.

I would be happy if some one here can share with me and accept that true love and compassion necessarily need not be sexually motivated and the people in love need not to be considered as some one obsessed with sexual fantasies.

Dr.Renuka ji,

Do you think that Romeo-Juliet; Laila-Majnu type of love was only physically motivated and Romeo and Majnu were sexually imbalanced to the extent of hurting their better half?

Here my reference to Romeo-Juliet & Laila-Majnu type of love is to indicate the absence of unrequited love and the presence of killer instinct in them to live for each other and die for each other.

I would be happy if some one here can share with me and accept that true love and compassion necessarily need not be sexually motivated and the people in love need not to be considered as some one obsessed with sexual fantasies.

Dear Ravi,

I am starting to wonder if you are the incarnation of the god of love..but i thought "dadghda manmatha vigraham"(burnt the body of manmatha) was done by Lord Shiva...I suspect one small portion of the DNA of Manmatha had fallen to earth..lay dormant for so many years and Lo behold..we have Ravi...

Ravi...I am amazed ....Lucky girl to get you...
Hey all unmarried girls in this forum ARE YOU HEARING THIS?

Dear Ravi,

I am starting to wonder if you are the incarnation of the god of love..but i thought "dadghda manmatha vigraham"(burnt the body of manmatha) was done by Lord Shiva...I suspect one small portion of the DNA of Manmatha had fallen to earth..lay dormant for so many years and Lo behold..we have Ravi...

Ravi...I am amazed ....Lucky girl to get you...
Hey all unmarried girls in this forum ARE YOU HEARING THIS?

Dr.Renuka ji,

Nothing like that......

I am a simple guy, striving to know and understand the human psychology from my very young age.

Live life for the partner and be happy to accept what the partner can give...,is what I believe would be the meaning of life. I have ignored few possibilities of love in my mid 20's only to make sure that I should be in true love and should have the perfect mind set to understand and accept my better half.

I believe, a man can not be perfect unless he can live for the partner, accepting her the way she can be (as long as she is not against social norms) and live for the offspring who need the hopes to live without loosing human values and social standards.

I believe, a true love is not so easy and simple to adopt. It needs one to live only with positive hopes and trust on the partner and to feel happy in his/her company.

Not every one is blessed to get true love. But one can strive to offer true love to his/her partner and be happy with his/her values.

In the movie the hero forces the girl to be in love with him.. Though it sounds heroic and appreciable, in real life, after marriage, I don't believe the girl's love and respect would be ever positive towards her man. During some point of time, under certain circumstances the girl may undergo repentance and may even end up holding despise against him for the reason, she is been captivated to accept his love unmindful of cultural/traditional variations.

If both the hero and the heroine had their chemistry matching and working out towards each other's love at first sight or love through gradual friendship, unawares of being in love, than for sure the director could have presented a happy ending.

But this VTV movie was framed to highlight the bottom line of the subject that has been wonderfully screen played to reveal the fact that, the love beyond family, social and professional botherations can not lead to live happily together and ever after marriage, unless both have the same mindset and the courage to live for love with positive hopes.

blue moons come more often than my venturing to see an output of the kodambakkam studios. i say this as truthfully as i could, without any sense of pride or shame. it just so happens.

which is surprising, because thanks to our sri lankan tamil cousins, toronto is full of video shops, which purvey clear copies of the originals, at around $1 per piece, and my wife, is among the thousands of tamils here from both the island and the mainland, who let the clocks tick away to the almost continuous streaming of kollywood and bollywood bi-products.

in this context விண்ணைத்தாண்டி வருவாயா was a surprise. a story about an engineer who forsakes it for a movie cameraman apprenticeship, a younger hindu chasing an older kerala catholic girl.

the portrayal of the love lorn youth is something which brought me back from my own youth. only in india, i say, that we have romantic men, hard headed women and stone headed parents.

i have not yet seen a western youth (white,brown, yellow, black) variety here, who swoon and moan at the sight of their loved one a la kollywood or bollywood. i have seen a few, including some in my own household.

i think, india is perhaps the last bastion of unrequited romantic love.

whatever you may think, suggest you enjoy this rather haunting number. can't seem to get it out of my head :)

YouTube - Hosanna (Hallo) [VIDEO 30sec only] [FULL SONG] - A.R Rahman in Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya
Sri kunjuppu. Sorry for trespassing. A reply to your's on coriander leaves is already posted ; probably held in quarantine; awaiting moderator's clearance. thank you.

Sri kunjuppu. Sorry for trespassing. A reply to your's on coriander leaves is already posted ; probably held in quarantine; awaiting moderator's clearance. thank you.

thank you drs. delighted.

please delight me more. how about some comments on விண்ணைத்தாண்டி வருவாயா :)

But this VTV movie was framed to highlight the bottom line of the subject that has been wonderfully screen played to reveal the fact that, the love beyond family, social and professional botherations can not lead to live happily together and ever after marriage, unless both have the same mindset and the courage to live for love with positive hopes.

good perception ravi. i agree 101%.

even in the west, the inlaws are the biggest source of friction in any marriage (next is money).

particularly in our society, marrying out of community, needs strong emotional and financial support from both sides of the family, as it otherwise causes a lot of heartaches.

in any marriage, nobody should give up their born identity and heritage, which is why, i find it demeaning in our society, that one converts to muslim or christian to marry one. again only hindus appear to do the converting. this is a shabby truth, which i do not like.

veering off, i think, youth of either sex, likes to be chased. it is always, from a selfish father viewpoint of mine, to wish that the persons my kids partner with, are more in love with them than vice versa.

take theblues for instance. what a lucky guy, that a girl of spunk and character is after him, from another land, culture, language and religion. if not anything else, this could evolve into another tamil movie script. any takers? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back