• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Daanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody should read this Slogam.

" GAJA THURAGA SAHASRAM, KODI DAANAM,
KANAKA RAJITHA PAATHRAM MEGANEE SAGARANTHAM,
UBHAYA VISUDHA KODI KANYA PRADAANAM,
NAHI NAHI BAHU DAANAM, ANNADAANAM SAMANAHA."

I complied your suggestion and read the slokam. Now can you kindly write the meaning of this slokam, what is the context and where did you find this, please? Thank you. (Who knows? for all I know, this slokam could be a part of conversation between two people proficient in Sanskrit - one being the customer and the other being the vendor, and the subject being negotiating the price of the vegetables!).

Cheers!

Gaja turaga Sahasram | Gokulam koti danam |
Kanaka Rajatha patram | Methini sagarantham |
Upaya kula vishuttam | Koti kanya pradanam |
Nahi nahi bahu danam| Annadanam samanam ||

Meaning: Even if one gifts 1000 elephants, horses or gifts 10 million cows or any number of vessels of silver and gold , gifts the entire land till sea, offering the entire services of the clan , helps in the marriage of 10 million women, all this is never never equal to Annadanam(Poor Feeding)

translation taken from Sri Visvaroopa Panchamukha Hanuman Ashram website.(only one spelling correction made)
www.panchamukha.org/annadanam.html-india

renu

Last edited:
Sri.Subra,

If you did not know the meaning of the slokam you have posted, you have an obligation to say so when I asked for the meaning. On the other hand, if you knew the meaning for the slokam, you should have had the courtsey to provide the meaning. It is very disappointing that you chose to do neither.

Cheers!

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

It is very kind of you to provide the meaning. Thank you. As I suspected, this slokam is very shallow, since not mentioning who should get the 'annadhanam'. one who can earn their own keep should not be given free food on regular basis.

If you provide a fish to someone, you ward off his/her hunger for that day.
If you teach the same person the art of catching the fish, then you ward off his/her hunger for many years to come.

Annadanam is not all that great as claimed by the slokam.

தானத்தில் சிறந்த தானம், சமாதானம் ; அதை அடைய உதவும் தானம், நிதானம்.

(The most desirable dhaanam is peace; patience is the dhaanam that helps to achieve peace).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sow.Sri.Renuka,

It is very kind of you to provide the meaning. Thank you. As I suspected, this slokam is very shallow, since not mentioning who should get the 'annadhanam'. one who can earn their own keep should not be given free food on regular basis.

If you provide a fish to someone, you ward off his/her hunger for that day.
If you teach the same person the art of catching the fish, then you ward off his/her hunger for many years to come.

Annadanam is not all that great as claimed by the slokam.

தானத்தில் சிறந்த தானம், சமாதானம் ; அதை அடைய உதவும் தானம், நிதானம்.

(The most desirable dhaanam is peace; patience is the dhaanam that helps to achieve peace).

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

You know even I thought of the same thing that we only ward off hunger for a day when we do Annadhanam.

But may be we can do regular Annadhanam by providing donations in the form of Rice,groceries to orphanages on regular basis so its not just a one day affair and the financial load of the orphanage will be lessened and they can concentrate more on educating the children.
The donor also does not need to fork out a large sum of money at one time as he just needs to set aside a small amount on monthly basis.

You know the other day on TV I was watching this programme on Makara Sankranthi in North India where they have the practices of flying colorful kites.
The documentary showed people looking for beggars to feed on Makara Sankranthi day as it is believed that the giver will get blessed in return.
Most people I know do Annadhanam for personal gain and benefit or to ward off any ill efect they have.
This comes under Rajasic mode of Charity but nevertheless it is still beneficial at least someone got to eat, animals would have got to eat the left overs, cooks would have got paid etc.

My dear Raghy uncle

Once decided to give dhanam, then dont look for the status, efficiency and etc. The annadanam has gained its own importance mainly because, man can be satisfied only in this. Also, this dhanam specifies the significance of hunger and poverty.

Might be as you said, this particular sloka has overlighted. But why??? Just to turn the minds towards the annadhana, it has been said like this. The same composer in a song will say no god is there above Parvathi, in the very next song he will say the same to vishnu. We should not get confused because of this na??? In the same way, this sloka too should be taken. It doesnt mean that other dhanas are cheap. But it insists us to do annadhanam.

When decided to give some thing, then why should there be classifications and gradations??? If your neighbour came to your house and ate one day. Similarly, your brother came to your house and ate one day. Will these be considered as annadhana??? (Certainly no; because, they are all not come under the "dhana" category, as one other day you also will go and eat in their home). Similarly, the rich persons doesnot need your annadhana also. So, the case which comes to your presence itself has already filtered. But you know, I saw even some millionaires have eaten like beggars in temples as a "Prarthana". So, we should not check for it. As Renuka mam said, we can donate the same to Orphanages, oldage homes etc. or even some beggars in the street.

I dont say that it will end-up in blesses and all. But you start doing that. Yourself will feel the happy residing in it...

In tamil there is a proverb saying, "Vaai Vaazhthaatalum Vayiru Vaazhthum". (even if the mouth which eats doesn't bless you, the stomach which digests will surely remember you). Doing this, will certainly brings calm and steadiness in your mind.

Pranams

Dear Sri.Durga Dasan & Sow.Sri.Renuka,

I am not against 'annadhaanam'. Infact, that is exactly what I do in place of 'Pithru Kaaryam'. So, it is not my intention to debate on 'annadhaanam'. I am only questening the comparisons. I request you to kindly look at the sloka once again, please. What is on offer? ratha, gaja, dhuraka & pathathis; land up to the sea; silver, gold marriage for 10 million women......This sloka must have been advised to a king or to someone at the level. Everyday praja like you and me would be sweating to manage the marriage of one daughter of one sister (even in those days); 1000 elephants, horses .....I think I am explaining my point. For such a person, such a king, சமாதானம் in his approach, நிதானம் in his actions would benefit not only his wards but also the people of neighbouring countries.
(By the way, it is easy to donate an elephant. If I inherit an elephant, I will be constantly seeking a way to donate that beast to someone at the earliest possible chance. I think an elephant would run a huge bill for its food everyday!).

Dearest Raghy,
I did not even mean once to disagree with you sir.
Please dont mistake my reply.
Even in the first line didnt I say that i agreed with you about feeding a person in annadhanam is a one day affair only.
I was only giving my opinion and sharing with you what i saw on TV recently too.
thats all.
renu

Dear Uncle

Certainly we are not meaning that. As I said already, this is just an extrapolation uncle thats all in that sloka. Noone can do (Even a raja) , how can he gives kodi kanya dhanam? So, it is just highlighting instead of all these things, just do annadhanam. Thats all. Dont go much into the sloka at all. It is like praising the king equal to god. (Hahahha... Might be a hungry poor poet has written this sloka).

Cheers uncle

Pranams

Dear Sri.Durga Dasan, Sow.Sri.Renuka,

We do not have difference in opinion. As Sri.Durga pointed out, could be a very hungry, poor poet.

Now that Sri.Durga Dasan mentioned about a very hungry, poor poet..... A very hungry, poor poet who had limited fluency in Tamizh was struggling to feed his family. Someone suggested him to see the king and sing a song in praise to get some reward. The poet said he was not capable; some one suggested to sing something in the crowd.....Our poet went to the court. He was planning to murmur something in the group; but, the king chose to ask him to come forward and present his song. (The king called him with all good intentions; any silly song would have gained him a handsome reward). Our poet sang this....

கன்னா பின்னா தென்னா! உன் அப்பன் கோவில் பெருச்சாளி!

(The poet received a huge monetary award too!).

Cheers!

The poet is correct Raghy uncle. He has praised the king. He said him as "the king who came from south (Thenna), who comes after Karna, who is well-known for charity (Kanna pinna). (Especially this 2 suzhi "na"). Un appan koil peruchali (It means ko-king, perunjali - chali (means possesser of lands), perun chali (Having lot of lands). So am I correct now uncle???

It has even now shown in 23m pulikesi.
Manna, ne oru mama manna, ne oru mollamari mudichavukki... it goes so on. But the poet describes that also in a nice way.

Pranams

Dear Sri.Durga Dasan,

Of course you are right. I do not know anything about 23m pulikesi. (I live in Australia :D ; I said that at last!). I heard the meaning slightly differently though.

kovil perucchaLi' - ko+ vil (பெரிய வில்) peruchali - perum yaLi. 'your father was a great archer who terrified (his enemies) like a well developed (fearsome) yali'.

I learned one more meaning today. Thank you!

Cheers!

I too learned the other meaning. I did not heard that before uncle. With my M.Phil tamil knowledge I just analysed and said the interpretation. Thats all. Finally I found your pettai also. AUSSIE... Angadan adi adinnu adikaralame???. Hahahah

Reply to thread 'Danam"

Dear Raghy,

I have seen your comments about the Slokam which was given by me about "Danam". This slokam was taken from my Grandfather by my Father, so neither my Father or myself could not find out the Sanskrit meaning that time except the conclusion of the slokam about Annadanam. Later only I came to know the exact meaning of this. Since I have not taken this as a serious issue, but after seeing your reply only I could realise your feelings. By that time one of our Friends who gave us the exact meaning of this slokam by line by line.

Dear Raghy,

I have seen your comments about the Slokam which was given by me about "Danam". This slokam was taken from my Grandfather by my Father, so neither my Father or myself could not find out the Sanskrit meaning that time except the conclusion of the slokam about Annadanam. Later only I came to know the exact meaning of this. Since I have not taken this as a serious issue, but after seeing your reply only I could realise your feelings. By that time one of our Friends who gave us the exact meaning of this slokam by line by line.

Dear Sri.Subramani,

Sir, thank you for showing the source of the said slokam. I like to assure you that I do not have any feelings as such about this slokam; nor I displayed any feelings in asking for the meaning of that slokam. Since you mentioned that everyone should read this slokam, I was curious to know the meaning (for my own interest and for the interested others too).

Cheers!

I too learned the other meaning. I did not heard that before uncle. With my M.Phil tamil knowledge I just analysed and said the interpretation. Thats all. Finally I found your pettai also. AUSSIE... Angadan adi adinnu adikaralame???. Hahahah

Dear Sri.Durga Dasan,

Engadan adi adinnu adikkalai? The persons with Indian passport are treated lower in most of the Middle East Countries. They are paid much lower wages for the same job they perform compared to other nationalities (I heard only Bangaladeshis are comparable to Indians). Indians have no voice to ask about these injustices in those countries despite the large presence in those countries.

In Australia, Indians became the victims of the anti social elements just like anyone else. One must realise that not all the parts of the city (any city for that matter) can be expected to be safe at the wee hours of the night. Unfortunately Indians over reacted to this; I prersonally would not be surprised if Indians attract more of these anti social elements due to their reactions.

You will not deny if I said that not every suburb in every city in India is safe even for Indians to wander between 1 AM and 3 AM. All the Indian students that I know of where attacked in such localities, during such times. Don't you think actions such as calling all the Australian police force as 'racist'; burning the effigy of the Australian Prime Minister would be seen as over-reactions?

There are equal or more tourists are killed/murdered/ bashed in Idia. I have not seen any evidence from GOI taking such incidents seriously. I have not seen any Indian minister condemning such actions.

I request you to look at these contexts too, please. (Personally I or my family members have no problem).

I read the thread ,on the Annadaana slokam now only.

I was familiarised with this slokam by my maternal grandfather in my childhood,while telling me on the importance of annadaanam ,which my mother practised in her life.
The explanation given to me was that in the case of any other daanam ,the receiever never feels satisfied and and will yearn for more. But when annam (Rice/food) is given , once his hunger is satisfied, even if the daata(giver) is ready to give more, receiver will stop him by showing his hand that it is enough.

Selling essential food ,and water were considered as almost sin in our country. The tradition was to have free distribution of food and water for the needy,at different places(free inns) along travel path, during festivals and fair,etc. A Raja or King was considered a benevolent king based on these matters.

greetings

Dear Raghy uncle

My question is very simple and just to ask about the present situation. thats all. For everyone, there own native provides much freedom which you cannot expect in the other nations. Its simple like when we are in our own house and living in other's house amidst of them. Thats all. Am not blaming anyone for this. I did not expect such an outburst from you. For that simple sake, I think there is no need to compare the situation in India. Since you are there in your pettai, you should not underestimate the other pettai, which also your home pettai na... Even its also having some small issues, but not daily (and that too not so particular against one group of people).

Pranams

Dear Raghy uncle

My question is very simple and just to ask about the present situation. thats all. For everyone, there own native provides much freedom which you cannot expect in the other nations. Its simple like when we are in our own house and living in other's house amidst of them. Thats all. Am not blaming anyone for this. I did not expect such an outburst from you. For that simple sake, I think there is no need to compare the situation in India. Since you are there in your pettai, you should not underestimate the other pettai, which also your home pettai na... Even its also having some small issues, but not daily (and that too not so particular against one group of people).

Pranams

Dear Sri.Durga Dasan,

It is very unfortunate that my reply was seen as an outburst; I like to assure you, it was not meant to be. If you feel offended, kindly pardon me.

Of late, Australia is getting unwanted, unfair publicity; mainly from Indian media. Every society has her share of beasts in the garb of human beings. In our native places, we know exactly where those beasts are likely to hang-out; and we avoid such places leave alone in the night time, even in the day time. When I came to this city, I spent time to learn about such unsafe places. Every society has two extremes of people; on one side, persons who would not hesitate to donate large sums of money for helping others and on the other side, beasts who would not hesitate to knief someone for the sake of a mere 10 dollars/rupees.

Not only Indian students are the victims of such attacks. I have seen victims left in a wheel chair for the rest of their lives; once I saw a CCTV footage of 8 persons bashing one white youngster in the city center (at 2.30 AM). Neuro surgeons could not save that victim.

Unfortunately, the initial Indian victims knew what they were bargaining for when they rented cheap accomadations in unsafe areas, when they took up job vacancies rostering in the middle of the night in unfriendly localities (local kids knew the risks and would not accept such risky jobs). Indian kids used public transport rendering them more as a target. Further, the involvement of Lebanese people in these attacks are completely screened by the Indian media. I condemn the over-reactions displayed by the Indians. Such over reactions will only attract more anti social elements.

Cheers!

Dear uncle

Thanks for your clarification. Your analysis is quite right. Every society has its own beasts. Why to search that much extent? Every man has his own beast. So, as you said the attacks also show how people are unsafe for their lives in suburban areas just thinking of saving money. Always a coin has two sides. Everyone should safeguard their own lives.

"LOGA SAMASTHA SUGINO BHAVANTHU"

Sorry if by anymeans my previous post has hurted you uncle.

Pranams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back