• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Theemithi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Please can you you guys provide information on theeemithi festivals conducted in inida.

Thanks

Desigan

desigan,

i checked google. there is no single listing of all firewalking festivals in tamil nadu or in the whole of india.

if you are planning to visit india or tamil nadu, check the google against the places where you want to visit and verify the time of the festival.

it is usually conducted in aippasi (october sometime) i think.

best wishes.

Dear all

Theemithi is a function, which shows how concentrated the mind is towards the god. Even in some IT companies, they are giving some training exercises to their staffs nowadays with this same theemidhi.

When we concentrate much on one thing and do other things, the effect of the thing which we done will not affect us at all. With this concept to blend with divinity, theemidhi has came. I think normally we (TBs) people dont do these things. But is very common among NBs. Other acts such as walking with nail-sandals, breaking coconuts in heads, etc. all comes under this category.

When people are doing these, all the DK people laughed on them (Pagutharivu). But when the usefulness has been known and now practically followed by IT companies, they keep their mouth shut.

I think the details for this cannot be get from net, as this is usually a village custom. As Kunjuppu sir said, it happens in the month of "Aippasi" Even on "ADI". Mainly for female deities like Mariamman.

Pranams

Vanakkam to you all ,
Hi Desigan I think if you want to assist a teemidhi festival you should visit Mauritius, There are several kovils where Teemithi will take place at the end of Dec . and these are great functions dedicated to Goddess Mariammen .Have you heard about the Mariammen Talatthu well it is sung during 10 days preceding the Teemedhi and on the Teemeedhi day the singers are accompanied by the Meelam and Tappu thruoght the procession.

Vanakkam to you all ,
Hi Desigan I think if you want to assist a teemidhi festival you should visit Mauritius, There are several kovils where Teemithi will take place at the end of Dec . and these are great functions dedicated to Goddess Mariammen .Have you heard about the Mariammen Talatthu well it is sung during 10 days preceding the Teemedhi and on the Teemeedhi day the singers are accompanied by the Meelam and Tappu thruoght the procession.

madhavi,

i wish to come to mauritius one of these years, God willing. always fascinated by it. i have chinese neighbours from mauritius here in toronto.

here is a youtube video of mariamman thaalaattu (lullaby)

YouTube - Mari Thirusooli (Melmaruvathoor Athiparasakthi)

also an explanation from the vedanta spiritual library

Mariamman Thalattu | Vedanta Spiritual Library

Theemithi Thiruvizha

Hi All

I currently attend the Sri Daxina Karumari Amman Theemithi Thiruvizha, in Lenasia South, Gauteng, South Africa.

And also Long market Street Theemithi Thiruvizha, which has been conducting theemithi, for over 100 years.

I would like to know the process that is followed in india, at any temple, that conducts theemithi.

Thanks

sorry desigan, i live in toronto, canada. so far no theemithi festival here, but would not be surprised, considering the large number of hindus from all over the world, including south africa, who have settled here in the past 35 years, that this would soon start.

Vanakkam Kunjupu Sir ,
Many many thanks, you have given me the GREATEST of present that I could have dreamt of ,That is the meaning of the Mariamman Thalattu.

Some days ago the Temple priest asked me to sing the full Padaal , you know this is not possible in one go, so I divided the book and on each day sang a few pages and I finished the whole song on the 7th day. It was Great but many people could not understand the words and I was asked to translate these lines. while performing my prayers to SEEDALAMMEN ( The main Diety in My Temple ) I begged Her to Help me in this Big Task because so far I never came across any translation of M.TALATHU My prayers was answered through the link that you gave me . Mikka mikka Nandri .

Anyway The author of the book is not mention anywhere ,do you have an idea who wrote the the Marriamen Thalatthu ? could it be a siddhar? Many thanks.

........Anyway The author of the book is not mention anywhere ,do you have an idea who wrote the the Marriamen Thalatthu ? could it be a siddhar? Many thanks.

sorry madhavi,

i do not know the author. i looked up in the web and could not find any details.

best wishes..

Hi Desigan,

Theemidhi is called as Kundam festival in villages around Coimbatore. The Bannari Amman Temple at Sathyamangalam is very famous for this .The Kundam Festival, which is celebrated in the Tamil Month of Panguni, is the most famous annual festival. Thousands of devotees from different directions throng the temple in this month which is marked by festivity and gaiety.
The festival begins on Monday succeeding the New Moon day in the Tamil month of Panguni. The festival days are animated by concerts organized by the temple authority in which eminent musicians participate.
Special poojas are performed to the goddess Next day the idol of the goddess is placed on a Chapram, a structure like palanquin. The procession passes slowly down the streets of the nearby villages. Drums are played by the devotees during the procession. People pray to the goddess with coconuts, plantains and camphor during the procession. The chapram is carried back to the temple on the eighth day which falls on Monday.
Various rituals pertaining to the festival are performed continuously. On the fourteenth day of the festival which falls on Sunday devout pilgrims have their head tonsured as a sort of offering to the goddess.
On the fifteenth day the priest and the devotees tread in the kundam after Midnight. It has been kept ready with burning logs of wood in the narrow pit, in front of the temple. Treading takes place on the succeeding day too, those who have been observing penance can only participate in the festival, finally, animals also tread in the kundam. It is witnessed by countless number of devotees.

bhavana

I do not entirely aggree with youi.may be that now IT compasnies may be using this which also I do not know .but in my village ,I have been very close to these people who walk on the fire .they all go to to the river cut abgoat and do some rituals and then drink 'kakllu' walk a distance of half km to the temple maidan and carrying thedeity they walk a distance of hardly 20 feet and put their legs in water
this is more emotional and after 2/3 days rther suffer due to burn injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back