• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Question on Sandhyavandanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All

I return from office at 9.00 pm every day and do my evening Sandhyavandanam at 9.30 pm and then have dinner...

Can some one tell me...whether it is correct to do at that time...

What other alternatives you suggest..

Iam sorry if this is repetitive in nature and it was answered earlier..

Regards

RajanKV (Bahrain)
dear rajan sir
namaskaram.
This is every brahmins duty to perform sandyavandan. in evening
the correct time is 5.30 to 6.15 p.m .. afgter 8.30 p.m performing sandyavandanam is not profitable but if you are not performing . the sandyavanam on that day it will be maha pavam, so it is better that we perform the sandyavandanam any cost to get the ashirvadam of gayagtri .

Dear All

I return from office at 9.00 pm every day and do my evening Sandhyavandanam at 9.30 pm and then have dinner...

Can some one tell me...whether it is correct to do at that time...

What other alternatives you suggest..

Iam sorry if this is repetitive in nature and it was answered earlier..

Regards

RajanKV (Bahrain)

I apologize to Sundarji, As I have a different understanding of Sandyavandanam.

In general Sandyavandanam can be divided into three parts. First 'Argyam', Secondly 'Gayathri Manthram' & Finally 'Upastanam'.

The argyam need to be carried during sun rise, Peak & Sunset. In general most of us perform only morning & evening due to daily routine. This should be performed at either in river OR ponds. However, it says argyam doesnot have powers if performed after these period as it helps sun god to fight against evils (Darkness). But in todays life style, maintaining these timelines are very difficult. Hence the elders have already made 'Akalaatheetha dosha prayaschitta arkyam' to overcome this problem.

The gayathri mahamantram is for a brahman to achieve his goal of concentration. In my knowledge, performing gayathri at different time should not be a mistake as this should be carried east facing, sitting in neat place with padmasanam.

Upastahanam is concluding part & we pray all god, godesses & Brahmanas to protect us from the difficult situation. This will be carried out in standing position looking different directions.

Coming to your issue, Hopefully if you are working in break shifts, you can perform before 4 PM & start for the duty. If not possible, you can continue your routine as we finally leave everything to Narayana by chanting 'Kayena vaacha ..........

So, let's leave it that lord, in my openion who never said to whom he is giving 'moksham.'

Dear Rajan

Your question itself has answer. Sandhya itself means "twilight" period. It is our duty to perform that only during that time. Important feature is arghyapradanam. We can perform a bit late for each time and "kaaladeeda prayaschitarkyam" can be provided in that case. But when there is no sun at all and during night, how can we proceed sandhi (the period itself is rathri, if am not wrong).

On those days, we people were of no jobs except doing these. So for them it was easy to follow. But now our jobs are like that. We works in shifts. We travel by 2-3 hours. What to do... We too have to survive in this world among others.

I appreciate your enthu atleast in following this karma, even if its late. My kind advice is since it is getting very late, just proceed directly to Gayathri japa and do that alone with sincerity. I dont know whether this is a proper replacement, but for my thoughts it seems to be correct. The problem with other 2 parts is the absence of sun god. We can't provide arghya and also digvandanam cannot be completed without suryanamaskar.

Pranams

Chanting on Gayathri unites body and mind and unites with soul. This is not when you do, but how you follow and concentrating with the sentence. The Vibration of Gayathri is to be absorbed through the skin, and spread in to the entire body with which your body will be active with the energy it gained.

The energy flows from Nabhi, the belly button moves to back bone, Mooladhara and to fore head.

But for newly married and persons who has interest in Thambhatyam, should avoid this Gayathri Japam after 7.00 PM as energy gained may be wasted at night, that will result in nerves weakness.

Once a person completes one crore, he is automatically taken to next stage, the chanting of Brahma Gayathri. The persons chanting Brahma Gayathri are rewarded the title Brahma Sri.

Sandhyavandanam

Dear Rajan Sir

It is nice to know that despite being away from our country you continue to follow our traditions and perform our nitya karmas without fail. As regards your performing of Sayam Sandhya at 9.30 PM , it is perfectly fine because eve though the timings may not be in sync with the argyam which we offer to the sun god ( 5.00 pm to 6.00Pm ) , but its ok since our fore fathers have rightly solved this problem by inclusing the phrase KALATEETHA PRAYASCHITTA ARGY PRADANAM KARISHYE - which pardons our late offerings of argyams .

Hence keep continuing the same without any doubts in mind . Even our Revered Paramachariar Sri Chandrasekhara Mahaswamigal in one of the questions raiased by bakta's has clarified this .

Thanks & Regards

Narayan

Dear Narayan

The Kalaadheeda Prayachitharkyam is OK. But there should be a limit for that na. You cannot say "pradha snadhyam kalaadhedha praychitarkyam" at 12 noon. In our present day situation always we are doing that only. But we have to limit that in certain time. Exactly morning Brahma muhurtha and evening means 5:30-6:15 Pradhosha time, is meant for sandhi. A bit variation in this time is nullified by kaalaadhedha arghyam. It does not mean that you can provide arghyam even at midnight 12'O clock and say as kalaadhedham. You can say to your boss "Sorry sir am bit late for just 5-10 mins. You cant use the same when he is leaving for the day". Instead better skip providing arghya and proceed with just japa. That is enough to proceed in that time.

Pranams.

Dear Narayan

The Kalaadheeda Prayachitharkyam is OK. But there should be a limit for that na. ................
.......... Instead better skip providing arghya and proceed with just japa. That is enough to proceed in that time.

Pranams.

When it is not genuinely possible to do at the normal times, it is better to avoid, and do any japa as mentioned by Sri Durgadasan. We will not celebrate pongal at Divali saying it is late, rather we will just forgo that if not possible.

When earning for living is the priority , and there is no other alternative, let us consider going to our daily work itself as nithyakarma, and do that sincerely. On days of leave and holidays we can do the other things which we very reluctantly skipped.

"Work is Worship"
Greetings.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,
i have read somewhere that it is not necessary to take a bath for performing sandhyavandana, instead one can perform this without bath by taking a Prokshana Snana, but performing the Sandhyavandana at time is more important rather than performing after bath. Though i didnt believe, myself used to perform after bath only.Is it true? correct me if iam wrong. eagerly waiting for the reply

I suggest that Gayatri Japam shall be done after coming late from office.it may not be fitting to do Argyam .whatever is done is finally "samarpayaami" to Srimannarayana.He will appreciate the circumstances of the individual if dedicated ti HIM finally.

Kaalatheetha argayam is meant for a minimal deviation from the appropriate timing only.

kindly note that Gayathri Japam itself is 100% responding only with utterance of Gaayathri shaapa vimochana mantrams! One has to pray respective Rishi for this .

1. kaalaadheeda prayaschitta argyam may be a way out if it is done within a time limit as observed by some people here.
2. When u r in situations which do not allow u to do the sandhyavandanam, it is enough if you chant the mantras(not only gayathri) within your mind and go through the process mentally doing the 'satvika thyagam' at the end.
3. There may situations when u may not be able to perform nithyakarma because of certain situations. In such situations u can even assign the work to a close relative of you who can do it on your behalf with some minor changes in the mantras.

I am giving the above info on the basis of what i learnt from a learned pundit in these matters.

Gayathri shaapa vimochana Mantras:

1.I am unable to attach the mantra due to bandwidth problem.Pl. ref to web:http://www.ambaa.org/pdf/gAyatrI_Worship.pdf
Pl. type the basic web http://www.ambaa.org/ ,go to pdf books ,select Gayathri Worship.

2.The treatise details all about Gayathri worship,vidhanam,sahasranamam,nyasametc.

3.Pl recognise the Shaapa vimochana mantrams [Brahma,vashishtar,Viswamitrar] in this pdf.

4.Mantras to be recited before japam. I am tempted to give some more brief……..

5.For information, if 10min [or less] more time is available,Anganyaasa ,karanyaasa &Panchapooja may be done .

6.Both shaapa mantras and nyaasa with panchapooja will make one realise vimarsa gayathri more quickly and lead to Devi realisation and Purashcharana .

7.Recitation of Gayathri Hrudayam and Kavacham after 6 lakh japa.

8.Gayathri avahanam is a part of Sandhyavandanam. Aanmika Hrudayam[Heart,anahatam] requires recognition.It is not the physical heart.It is below the throat chakra and one chaan above naabi and is to the right side of physical heart.Physical heart is of no use for dhyanam/japam.Ref: NARAYANA SUKTAM “ADHO NISHTYA VITHASTHYAANTHE NAABHYAMMUPARI THISHTATHI” …………………..-Excellent description..!!!! also Upanishads detail on this.

9.Japam thro the inner ‘’kosha” blossoms the hrudaya lotus bud into flower .This reveals the ‘Aakaasa”. Praana resides in this in the form of Agni [chudar]..This agnichudar is the glittering Anma,golden in colour and as small as an atom.. Inside this Jyothi, resides the Saannithyam,the omnipotent, present and omniscient , self luminating god- Krishna Pingalam-shiva,Vishnu etc in imageless form--- ruthagum satyam param brahma…..vishwaroopaayavai namo namaha!!

10 And Gayathri japam , energises Prana

Sri Mathre Namaha!

I think the manthras, "Apohistha" and "Thathikravinno" both can be considered equally to taking bath. But it does not mean that we can perform sandhi without taking bath. The excuse can be used, when we are sick or due to other circumstances.

Iam not sure, if not chanting gayathri, some chapam will occur... Coz. Gayathri has been considered as matha (will a mother curse her own child). Also, we are doing Prayaschita japam during gayathri japam itself. Let we wait for the manthra from Prakasananda.

Pranams

namaskaram to all
it is our duty to perform sandyavandanam daily . their no question that we skip from this. After 8 p.m. we must do sandyavandanm . their is know any dharma that any other person will perform the sandyavandan for any one. just like no one can eat for other. our base is GAYATRI MANTRA without that we are nothing. so please do sandyavandanam at 9.30 p.m. also . their is no punyam if you are performing late but not do the sandyavandanam on that ay this is pavam.
arunachaleswarayanamaha

As Sri Srinikam has said, the Sandhyavandhana consists of three parts. Argyam, japam and upasthanam. It is the argyam that should be given at the proper time.
While at office one can steal some time to go to the wash basin, purify oneself with apohishta or dadhikravinno, take water with two palms joined together, think of the setting sun, utter Gayatri and give argyam. This will not take more than two minutes. Gayatri Japam and upasthanam can be done at one's leisure. In fact gayatri can be recited even while travelling to or from work.

This is for emergency situations only and not to be taken as a general rule for all.

Reactions: KRN
Dear sir,
In continuation of the discussion on sandyavandanam i would like to ask that during the period of menus of ladies in house, sometimes it is possible to make them sit seperately. Some times it is not possible due to different reasons, is it worth to perform sandhyavandanam at home when the ladies are in menus and not possible to sit seperately??? sorry to ask this question but all situations are arising in practical life.
Regards,
Nityashreeram

Respected Nithyashree

As discussed it is termed as "nithyakarma", so it has to be done daily. No questions whether the ladies in-house are having their own problems. Just the guys can take a fresh bath, and perform their sandhi. No excuses are allowed...

Pranams

Exactly said by Sri.Durgadasan wrt Maarjanam thro’ mantras “aapohishtaa Mayobhuvahaa” …………..[10 Mantras from Mahanarayana Upanishad ]
……. /dadhikraavinno akaarsham - again 14 mantras for Punarmaarjanam are recited for purification of body and mind.
1.Sadaka prays to gods of water [and Kesava]
to bestow a prosperous life and appropriate knowledge
 to enable the next birth to be holy!
and enable organs to smell good !!
1.Even when one takes bath [external cleanliness]and proceeds with Sandhyavandanam ,Maarjanam is done ! That is to enable one to experience and absorb Sandhya devi’s effulgence in surya mandala!
2.I want to mention in this context that there is a small ritual before proceeding with LAlitha Navaavarana Pooja called “ Bhootha Shudhdhi “ [5 minutes].
Here,Panchapooja bijams are invoked appropriately on specific organs, the mortal body of sadaka is burnt to ashes by agni bhijam ,then fresh body is created out of the ash ,jeevan is infused thro’ amrutha flow from sahasrara, thus effecting a body for sadaka to do pooja for Sri.Lalitha Parameswari .otherwise [mortal body is not compatible].

3.[Similarly]Prior to Gayathri japam, marjanam is done to invoke Water god for purification,Argyam and kesavadhi tharpanam is done as a mini purashcharana[different from formal Gayathri Purashcharanam],Pranayamam is done to effect flow of energy thro Idai and Pingala naadis,,avahanam of devi is done in Aanmika Hrudaya and then japam is performed.

4.Whoever does Nyasa,prior to japam,devi “padaas” are spread over the purified body organs of of sadaka.

I agree with Sri.Durgadasan that mother will excuse her children if ,due to circumstances ,in spite of sincere intentions,a karma cannot be observed for a specific time/day.

Gayathrai namaha!

sandhyavandanam/maarjanam

Exactly said by Sri.Durgadasan wrt Maarjanam thro’ mantras “aapohishtaa Mayobhuvahaa” …………..[10 Mantras from Mahanarayana Upanishad ]
……. /dadhikraavinno akaarsham - again 14 mantras for Punarmaarjanam are recited for purification of body and mind.
1.Sadaka prays to gods of water [and Kesava]
to bestow a prosperous life and appropriate knowledge
 to enable the next birth to be holy!
and enable organs to smell good !!
1.Even when one takes bath [external cleanliness]and proceeds with Sandhyavandanam ,Maarjanam is done ! That is to enable one to experience and absorb Sandhya devi’s effulgence in surya mandala!
2.I want to mention in this context
that there is a small ritual before proceeding with LAlitha Navaavarana Pooja called “ Bhootha Shudhdhi “ [5 minutes].
Here,Panchapooja bijams are invoked appropriately on specific organs, the mortal body of sadaka is burnt to ashes by agni bhijam ,then fresh body is created out of the ash ,jeevan is infused thro’ amrutha flow from sahasrara, thus effecting a body for sadaka to do pooja for Sri.Lalitha Parameswari .otherwise [mortal body is not compatible].

3.[Similarly]Prior to Gayathri japam, marjanam is done to invoke Water god for purification,Argyam and kesavadhi tharpanam is done as a mini purashcharana[different from formal Gayathri Purashcharanam],Pranayamam is done to effect flow of energy thro Idai and Pingala naadis,,avahanam of devi is done in Aanmika Hrudaya and then japam is performed.

4.Whoever does Nyasa,prior to japam,devi “padaas” are spread over the purified body organs of of sadaka.

I agree with Sri.Durgadasan that mother will excuse her children if ,due to circumstances ,in spite of sincere intentions,a karma cannot be observed for a specific time/day.

Gayathrai namaha!



Pujyashri Prakasanandha

Its always to include anganyasa, karanyasa, lam-ithyadhi panchapooja na? Where come the deviation? Is it possible to ignore them before performing Gayathri? Burbuvasuvarom idhi dikbandha: and Idi dik vimochana: makes us to really feel outside the earth na... I need clarification whether a japa will attain its siddhi even without these nyasas???

Pranams

Sandhyavandanam/Nyaasam

Sri.Durgadasan has exactly said about Nyaasam. Nyaasa Japam elevates
a sadaka from "Meditator to " Upasaka" .it is a part of guru muka upadesa.

1.I made mention in a little casual way so that those dwijas in all ages[ I do not think aged people are necessaarilly exceptions] who are and should be anushtaanam oriented shall by their own seeking resort to nyaasa japa and not out of compulsion.
2.If one says "I do not have time for this and hence develops a tendency to ignore sandhyaa worship , this is undesirable.
3. nyaasas are the process through which the mantra is superimposed on the physical body/plane so that the mantra and its vibrations eventually cause the 'activation' or awakening of the mantra sharira leading to mantra chaitanya .
4.Nyaasa removes obstacles for the meditator during japa ,enables him to dive into the bliss thro; Internal chakras allow the sadaka to enjoy the Devi Sannithyam in her Cosmic form; if nyasa gayathri is followed,it will pave way for a seeker to get initiated and engrossed into other mantra upadesaa,[like sri vidyaa] successfully.
5.As a passing reference ,Just to add to the Gayathri mahima, I mention about a very effective and highly sacred Pooja/tantra ,consisting of 4 paryaayams devoted to Sidhdhalakshmi Vallabambaa Sametha Maha Ganapathy .[known to some of the Srividya upaasakas].[Homam is also done].This tantra contains sampuditham of powerful beejas,components of Durga Suktam, Panchadasaakshari, Samvanana sooktham and Gayathri.Panchadasaaakshari kootams[3] and Gayathri padaas[3] are combined and recited.[nyasa essentially included].
Removes kali dosham ,unfavourable situations and bestows prosperity.finally maha tripurasundari is invoked.I hav read that this is prevalent in Tibet also [having been taken by them years back.]
6.Panchapooja done during nyaasa is no less meritorious to a saguna Pooja if done sincerely. Here, we utter mantras welcoming the goddess, offering sandal paste , doing pooja with flower, presenting Incense stick, then showing “Deepam” followed by offer of “Amrutham” as Mahaaneivedyam. Pl.note Neivedyam of ‘Amrutham “ is possible during this nyaasa puja only[ otherwise we offer cocoanut,fruits,betal leaves,gudaannam etc..].It is a Manasika Pooja[ref: Sadha Shiva Brahmendral’s “Shiva Maanasika Pooja”]
5.Pranaayaama leads to flow of energy thro’ Ida, Pingalaa nadis around the backbone upwards ;Amrutha flows down ;Devi travels up thro’ the central Sushumna naadi .
Now we find sandhyavandanam includes sankalpam,avahanam, Pooja and samarpanam, a full "internal" pooja.

Radhe krishna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back