• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Reason for eating after the final serving of Ghee

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hot rice, when you pour ghee, the taste cannot be even compared with anything. It will be nice, nice and nice. Iam telling in the view of eating. Certainly not in the view of science or sastras. Am a ghee-lover.

Pranams

to Srinikamji, When the preperation of sidedishes and sambar Rasam their is a chance of little added salt taste, so the hot Ghee will balanced the taste. Buttermilk and Curd is having the tendenty to split in hot condision so our elders avoid that. s.r.k.

Is there any scientific reason why the elders used to advise that we should not mix curd or butter milk with the rice when it is hot.

Sri. Ravi,

When the curd (youghurt) or buttermilk is mixed with hot rice, due to the elevated temperature, the acidophiles in the youghurt or buttermilk will not survive. Acidophiles is very useful to help the natural flora and fauna growth in the digestive system. This is my opinion.

:whoo:It may look Funny, But can anyone tell exact reason why our traditions ask to wait to eat till Ghee is served after all the dishes.

In vaishnava practice, ghee is followed by rice (no other dishes). Then we do the 'prorshanam' (spelling?). I was told, the ghee mixed in the rice as a fat, lines the esophageus so that when we eat sambar and other chilli mixed dishes would not irritate the esophageus. There may be more reasons. The learned forum may correct me, please.

if one sees the fat content of ghee, one would avoid it like the plague.

personally i do not partake of ghee with my food anymore.

apart from the 'fat' part of it, i notice, that the ghee tends to mask the true taste of the food. it is like a coating, which mellows the spices and takes the sting off the மிளகாய்ஸ், which i love.

for those who should not be eating spicy food, the biggest foolery i have seen, is that they add ghee. i try to tell these guys, that the மிளகாய்ஸ் still goes to their system. you are only cheating the tongue and the taste buds.

ghee can be used to fry nuts & raisins, as garnishments to pullav. also for frying சுண்டக்காய் மர்தங்காளிக்காய் for வெத்த கொழம்பு.

on very rare occassions, hard ghee spread on soft white bread is a yum comfort food. but on a day to day basis, i think, nowadays, ghee is best avoided.

thank you.

Sri. Kunjuppu said:-

"if one sees the fat content of ghee, one would avoid it like the plague."

Sri. Kunjuppu,

You may be missing out on ghee!

"Ghee is most notably said to stimulate the secretion of stomach acids to help with digestion, while other fats, such as butter and oils, slow down the digestive process and can sit heavy in the stomach."

"In addition to ghee's nutritional value, it is rich with antioxidants and acts as an aid in the absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods, feeding all layers of body tissue and serving to strengthen the immune system. A high concentration of butyric acid, a fatty acid that contains anti-viral properties, is believed to inhibit the growth of cancerous tumors."

link - Ghee Nutrition: Benefits of the Indian Clarified Butter - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Benefits of Ghee vs. Butter

Cheers!

In vaishnava practice, ghee is followed by rice (no other dishes). Then we do the 'prorshanam' (spelling?). I was told, the ghee mixed in the rice as a fat, lines the esophageus so that when we eat sambar and other chilli mixed dishes would not irritate the esophageus. There may be more reasons. The learned forum may correct me, please.

I went into details of this system, Understood from the help of elders that, the system was bought inline with aspect of improving healthier digestion. The mind noticing the various dishes by eyes & smelling from nose produce saliva in tongue, which is highly usefull for the human digestive system.
Yes we can notice that without our knowledge this process is happenning when we eat at functions but in hotels as all dishes are bought at one time, so this process is not happenning.
Also the ghee is not fat when we consume little quantity, that's why in our culture some of the items such as ghee, pickles ..etc will be served minimum & vegetables, rices & sweets will be served more.

Pranam,
L.Srinivas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back