• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kuzhi Tharpanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kuzhi Tharpanam as I have heard is done by Dhayadhees on the 10th day after death.Dhayadhees generally cover father's brothers etc belonging to same Gothra..I did for my uncle because my father was not alive

Namassadhasae.

This Kuzhi tharpanam will have to be done by all gnathis (dayathis who have 10 days theetu). In your case, you definitely have 10 days theetu. You can perform this kuzhi tharpaNam, only if you can be physically present on the 10th day (Dasasthu - day No.10) at the place where the karyam is going on (savadi or gruham). 10 days is over or not yet? If it is yet to and you cannot be physically present at the place, it is enough if you perform the usual amavasai tharpanam with some suitable changes in the sankalpam, for this theetu tharpanam. If it is over already, you may forget it with a snanam. This ten days theetu will be carried over to 7 thalaimurais and in villages elders will have
vamsavaLi chart, saying who is son to whom. Only the names of male heirs will be counted here. Gnathis who do tharpaNam to their pitrus (only whose fathers are not alive) are to do this kuzhi tharpaNam. Hope this clarifies.

"அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!"
_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

Dear GS ji,
Please correct If I am wrong.
This will be performed only by younger relatives not by elder relative of the expired.

Namassadhasae.

Shri Srinikam ji:

I am not sure about this. I shall verify and post pls.

"அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!"_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

I think Srinikam is correct. In my grandma's demise, the people younger than my grandma did this. (There is another possible reason too. She was much older (82) and so what I found is with youngers alone). Will wait for Soundarrajan uncle reply anyhow.

Pranams

Thanks to everybody who have posted their views reg. this.

One more doubt, I have. My father-in-laws grandson's "Poonal" function is proposed to be held at May 2010. As I have "theetu" for one year, can i ask my wife to sit as "Pondugal" in that Poonal function? Pl. clarify.

Pondugal .................. means sumangali prarthanai? (Sorry I am a born kannadiga but tamilian by blood)

The theetu will be there for self to perform the function. In sumangali prarthanai, she will be represanting as a 'sumangali' than a relative. Also importance will be given sumangala daughters of the family in relation ships from of grand parent, parent & sister levels.

To my knowledge, this will not be a issue to be a part as sumangali. But let's wait for some knowledgeable reply.

Again thanks a lot for everybody. I have another doubt. As I told earlier, my father's brother's son (Chittappa's son) died. I want to clarify mainly whether I have theetu for 10 days? Somebody told I don't have any auspicious festivals, ceremonies like Pongal, Tamil New Year, Krishna Jayanthi, Deepawali, etc.for ONE YEAR. Is that true?

Yes... Certainly Sureshkumar sir.

You have to omit fucntions for one year (till completion of varushabdhikam). It should be followed for seven generations. It is just a second generation na (Very close only).
(In our economic position today, you simply say "GO GREEN" for all functions). I just kidded sir. Anyhow, you have 10 days theetu as well as you have to omit all the functions/kuladevatha pooja/archana/prarthanai(Nerthi kadan) etc.

Pranams

Dear G.Sundararajan sir
namaskaram. I SAW YOUR MESSAGAE about kuzhi tarpanam. this not correct that the
man who got 10 day thitu will perform the kuzhi tarpanam only if he present at that
place where the karyam ia going on. THIS is not coorect. If the person will present
at savari or home at 10th day he will perform the VASOTHAKAM and THILODAKAM at TATAKATIR KUNDAM. If he is not present at that place he must perform the
TILODAKAM at his place with the help of vadhyar,because this noat like amavasya
tarpanam. After hearing the news of 10 day pangali death then also he must perform the tilodakam . if he is out of station then also when ever he will come to
india he will do this tilodakam tarpanam. Anna oru nal thitu kakunam .
THISwill be performed by all who will alliguble for that, only the saving
will done by younger

More doubt on this

If the person ( dayathi) is not in the same town of the karta should dayathi do any tharpanam for the ten days or only on the 10th day? If the news is received after second or third day should he do the tarpanam for the left over days if he has to do for all the 10 days? What one should do if the news is received after the 10th day?

Nor relatd exacrly to the matter under discussion but something about theetu.

As you know the dead body is not cremated on the same say nowadays and is kept in thee ice box for 1 or 2 days for the relatives to arrive. But due to faster communication news reaches fast to all relatives. Should one do 'snanam' immediately after receiving the nes or wait for the body to be cremated? Will it not be odd to do snanam even when the dead body not cremated. I looked at the dharma sastra books available with me but found no answers. Learned members can post their opinons. My uncle died and T recieved the news whtin an hour. Creamtion was to take place after 26 hous. I had theetu for 3 days. My mother ( his brother died) had to do only snanam. We were under predictment

Sundararajan

kuzhi tarpanam

dear learned members.
Namaskaram
AS dharma sastram every dayadi will do tarpanam for all ten dayas in tatakatir kundey where karta do tarpanam , but this is not happen generaly, because if they started on first day he must do the all ten days. he cont do tarpanam in middle.
So the dayadi performing this on tenth day only.
about the snanam as dharma sastram news of JANANAM and MARANAM the karta and dayadi must do snanam
immidiately .

om arunachaleswaraya namha.

respectable G.Sundararajan sir
i send a massage about kuzhitarapanam niyamam which i know something but know reply come from you . I want to know your view about that if may be i wrong so pls share views with us

om arunachaleswaraya namaha

Namassadhasae.

Shri Sundarji & all other learned and respectable correspondents:

Checked with a Mylapore Purohit. Dayathee kuzhi tharpanam to be performed by dhayathis who do tharpanam have to perform, irrespective of
elder or younger to the deceased. Youngsters to the deceased are to undertake vapanam (shaving) also.

Kuzhi tharpanam refers only to the ceremony which takes place in chavadi or gruham on the 10th day ceremony (paththu).
After all dhayathees available at the place perform this tharpanam (giving vasodhakam and thilodhakam – udhakam means water, a piece of kodi white vasthram dipped with water will be poured on the kuzhi for the water thirst of the deceased, this is called vasodhakam and water with gingelli (eLL) is called thilodhakam), the kartha/s will take the dias and continue the karyam.

Theetu tharpanam is somewhat different from normal amavasya tharpanam with suitable changes like mentioning ghnathi boothayA: etc..
Gnathis not able to come to be present in the spot, can do the normal amavasai tharpanam with or without suitable changes, according to their convenience. Our pitrus naturally are also gnathis to the deceased. Rest yatha sowkaryam. Observing ten days theetu is essential for the first ten days.

Here also a question comes whether first day counts from day of death or the day of cremation? I don’t know the answer.
When groups of people of same gothram preferred to live in one place (in one agraharam) , these stipulations were possible for them.

The above matters can be taken as a guidance and with regard to specific doubts, knowledgeable persons to be referred.

I suggest that there is a magazine called ‘Vaithika Sree’, coming from Chennai, under the authorship of Shri Nannilam Rajagopala Dheekshitar.
It is available in website also easily. I think doubts raised in the website will be cleared. Even it is suggested that Tamil Brahmins.com can have some kind of a tie-up arrangement with this magazine for this purpose.
This learned Nannilam Dheekshithar is an expert in Dharma Sasthram matters pls.

அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!"
_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

kuzhi tarpanam

dear all learned member
Namaskaram

Kuzhi tarapanam is only perform by dayathi on the place where karma is going on is not correct. If dayathi is not able to that place he must perform the kuzhi tarpanam also in open place of their house ,he perform only 75 times thilodakam nogt vasodakam. If he anable to come at that place chavari or somewere where is the karma ois going on he should not do the normal amavasaya tarpanam on 10th day. Because amavasya tarpanaam is enteirly different than kuzhitarpanam.

THE FIRST DAY COUNT FROM DAY OF DEATH ONLY NOT FROM THE CEREMONY.

OM ARUNACHALESWARAYA NAMAHA

Namassadhasae.

Shri Sundarji:

Thanks. I only shared my limited knowledge. I respect the views expressed by all in this thread. Thanks to all once again.

"அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!"
_ திருவக்கரை திருப்புகழ்

kuzhi tarpanam

dear gsr sir
namaskaram
thank yoy sir
this is very good that the foram is set to dissucs this kind of matter
just i want that every brahmin must know our dharma which is know going very down . many people does not know much adout this all. so pls entact this kind of important matter to disscus on this foram
thank you sir
arunachaleswaraya namaha

Lunar eclipse comes on 31st Dec.The eclipse starts at 22.45 hrs and ends at 3AM on 1st Jan.It is visible partially in many cities in India.For the benefit of the people perfoming tharpanam,it would be great if some one could kindly clarify when the tharpanam should be offered,in the begining,middle or at the end of the grahanam?Is it same for the surya grahanam also?
S.Sridharan

Lunar eclipse comes on 31st Dec.The eclipse starts at 22.45 hrs and ends at 3AM on 1st Jan.It is visible partially in many cities in India.For the benefit of the people perfoming tharpanam,it would be great if some one could kindly clarify when the tharpanam should be offered,in the begining,middle or at the end of the grahanam?Is it same for the surya grahanam also?
S.Sridharan
sir,
Lunar eclipse on 31dec midnightand 1stjan. early marning time as panchagam is starting at chennai is 12.23a.m. to 01.23 a.m. .
The tarpanam will be given between 12.53 to 01.20 a.m. not before nor after thAT TIME.
ECLIPSE TARAPANAM WILL OFFER ONLY ON KRISHNA PAKSHAM.
in solor eclipes the tarapana will offer between starting and middle and lunar eclipes tarapanam is between middle and endof eclipes is the general rule , not in end of both eclipes.
thank you

Dear all

I have a doubt regarding Kuzhi tharpana. Actually, the deceased athma has been sent into a stone. (Kal Unaradu). Like we were ten months in the mother's womb, the ten day "Kaaryams" were performed to give a spiritual body to that liberated athma. Finally to drive that away from the home and to make it to rest it in the peace only, "Patthu" is performed. Many delicious items were made without salt. After eating that, the athma will get free from the bond, hating the serving. This is what I heard.

Now coming to the point, the "kuzhi tharpanam" is performed with vasodagam and thilodagam in the kuzhi were the athma has been residing (Avahanam pannirukku). When the dayadi who is not present at that time, providing 75 times of vasodhagam is of what use to it????

How it will reach that soul? (It has not taken the form of pithru. Only after completing a year, reaching the pithru loka, it will become the pithru. Then it will gain its own power of grasping foods and water from our offerings). So now, it is residing only in the stone. (Normally two stones will be laid, one in the inner and one in the outer) and kuzhi is also for that purpose only.

Am much confused how the dayathi's vasodhagam reaches the soul, in his absence???

Pranams

Dear all

I have a doubt regarding Kuzhi tharpana. Actually, the deceased athma has been sent into a stone. (Kal Unaradu). Like we were ten months in the mother's womb, the ten day "Kaaryams" were performed to give a spiritual body to that liberated athma. Finally to drive that away from the home and to make it to rest it in the peace only, "Patthu" is performed. Many delicious items were made without salt. After eating that, the athma will get free from the bond, hating the serving. This is what I heard.

Now coming to the point, the "kuzhi tharpanam" is performed with vasodagam and thilodagam in the kuzhi were the athma has been residing (Avahanam pannirukku). When the dayadi who is not present at that time, providing 75 times of vasodhagam is of what use to it????

How it will reach that soul? (It has not taken the form of pithru. Only after completing a year, reaching the pithru loka, it will become the pithru. Then it will gain its own power of grasping foods and water from our offerings). So now, it is residing only in the stone. (Normally two stones will be laid, one in the inner and one in the outer) and kuzhi is also for that purpose only.

Am much confused how the dayathi's vasodhagam reaches the soul, in his absence???

Pranams
dear sir.
namaskaram
thios is correct that the sole is sent to the stone at the place where the karta performing the karma. and all dhayadi must go to that place for thilodakam and vasodakam. but in case if dayathi will nat able to come at that place he must perform the thilodakam at his place sent the sole to kurcham . kurchataley avahanam panni athuley 75 thilodakam urunam . but they cant perform 30 vasodakam because that vastram which use by kartha will not be their.
i wrote thisofmyknowlege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back