• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ideal of Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very sad to see increasing number of divorce cases these days, the reasons may be many but the result is collapse of the Institution of Marriage. The situation is so alarming that an estimated 10,000 divorce cases are filed every year with 10 cases on an average being filed in each court in Delhi every day. Studies have shown that the percentage of divorces has increased from about 5% in 1974 to 15% in 2000. Moreover, these figures are from the capital city Delhi alone, we can well imagine the count in entire country and not to speak of innumerable unregistered cases. "Temperamental differences and intolerance are the major causes for divorce," said Sheila Dikshit at the inaugural function of the pre-marital counselling cell set up by Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) where young men and women and their parents can call for help and guidance.

It is very true that out of the innumerable number of reasons for the failure of marriages fundamental reason can be attributed to choosing of Life Partner. Unfortunately, in many of the cases the criteria of choosing a life partner is by External appearance, acquired wealth, name and fame(publicity) in the society, parental pressure, . . and these are going to fade away one day or other, so naturally the foundation is weak. Sri Adi Sankaracharya says in Bhaja Govindam, "Do not boast of wealth, friends, and youth. Each one of these is destroyed within a minute." And it is very much true; one will realize the truth in long run. A person who has married just by means of external appearance naturally looses interest when the beauty fades away in due course, and the one who has married desiring brides wealth obviously harasses his wife for dowry – hence more and more of dowry harassment cases are being reported. Moreover, they don’t know each other well before, their interests and qualities may be different and in the long run again come Conflicts, Ego problems - - - . In addition to this too much of parental interference - -. Added to this destructive suggestions and advice by relatives, peers as a solution to family problems is adding fuel to fire.

Above all, the kind of Thought-pollution we see now a days in Media – Movies and serials especially which are loaded with characters full of Jealousy, hatred, anger, - - . It is so sad, in India where Women who are regarded as the Embodiment of Divine mother – Motherhood, are depicted as docile ones full of hatred, envy, selfishness, Jealousy, who is obsessed with external beauty - - ... I remember two or three years back a girl from North India I hope has filed a case against Star Tv, Zee Tv for telecasting serials full of Negative characters - - and this speaks volumes of impact they have on the tender minds.

Life alone teaches us many things if we start observing things happening around as a witness. We see in few homes full of Joy though they may not be very rich or religious but they seem to be always cheerful and have a smile on their face. For them home is their favourite place in the world. And if we observe their life, it will be a value based and the interests, qualities of husband and wife will be similar. Having certain Values is essential in life for peace, prosperity and Joy. Simple values like respecting wife and treating her as his equal, giving the required emotional support to one another - - can really make wonders. Then alone that Faith or Trust or Bond or Love whatever it may be develops, the Ego vanishes and the feeling of oneness comes between them. And that is the reason elderly people in olden days used to look for qualities in the bride or bridegroom. The Primary criteria for selection for a bride and bridegroom should be matching of Interests, Qualities and Character, there shouldn’t be any compromise on that and all else of-course is secondary. If there are no values and one of them knows about other’s pre-marital relationships, bad habits, adultery during post marriage then the relationship is bound to fail.

Sri Rama and Sita are Ideal house holders.
Valmikiji says, if a form is given to Dharma(righteousness) - It becomes Rama.
If all the Good Qualities are given a Form - It becomes Sita.
If Bhakthi (Devotion) is given a Form - It becomes Hanuman.

The Sage becomes completely mesmerized by the Ideal qualities of Rama when sage Narada starts expounding the Sri Ramachandra"s virtues. He becomes awe-struck when he sees the whole Ramayana with his divine eye and says - "We may count the stars in the sky but it is not possible to count the innumerable virtues of Sri Ramabhadhra."

Ah, What an Yearning Rama has towards Sita. How much he cries for Sita, being the personification of the Paramatman. How much she might have influenced him by her character; brings tears into our eyes. What a Love and affection. He can never think of any other woman even in dream other than Sita. What a respect, devotion, affection Sita has towards Rama. Unmatchable. Rama and Sita are one............ They are Inseparable. Ramayana has the perfect food necessary for the Human Civilisation preventing it again from becoming Animals.. It is a must read book for to be House Holders in this present day where the Foundation of the Institution of Marriage is being weakened day by day.. I bow down to offer my pranams to the feet of Valmiki for compiling THE DIVINE LIFE STORY OF GOD for the benefit of FUTURE GENERATIONS.

Swami Vivekananda says, “Rama, the ancient idol of the heroic ages, the embodiment of truth, of morality, the ideal son, the ideal husband, the ideal father, and above all, the ideal king, this Rama has been presented before us by the great sage Vâlmiki. No language can be purer, none chaster, none more beautiful and at the same time simpler than the language in which the great poet has depicted the life of Rama. And what to speak of Sitâ? You may exhaust the literature of the world that is past, and I may assure you that you will have to exhaust the literature of the world of the future, before finding another Sita. Sita is unique; that character was depicted once and for all. There may have been several Ramas, perhaps, but never more than one Sita! She is the very type of the true Indian woman, for all the Indian ideals of a perfected woman have grown out of that one life of Sita; and here she stands these thousands of years, commanding the worship of every man, woman, and child throughout the length and breadth of the land of Âryâvarta. There she will always be, this glorious Sita, purer than purity itself, all patience, and all suffering. She who suffered that life of suffering without a murmur, she the ever-chaste and ever-pure wife, she the ideal of the people, the ideal of the gods, the great Sita, our national God she must always remain. All our mythology may vanish, even our Vedas may depart, and our Sanskrit language may vanish forever, but so long as there will be five Hindus living here, even if only speaking the most vulgar patois, there will be the story of Sita present. Mark my words: Sita has gone into the very vitals of our race. She is there in the blood of every Hindu man and woman; we are all children of Sita.”

Below is an extract from one my most favourite books – 'Ramayana by C. Rajagopalachari', an abridged English version of Valmiki Ramayana where we see how the family of Dasaratha collapses due his death because of one moment of bad council by Manthara which in turn makes Kaikeyi an embodiment of selfishness and jealousy. It is indeed true if we pay attention to bad counsel and advice without using our own discrimination we are going to end up in a ditch. (In Mahabaharata, Anguished Gandhari, Mother of Duryodhana calls on her son and tries to counsel him to come out of the hatred; but he says, "Mother though I try to do so, my mind is always forcing me to do evil." And the reason is Shakuni, who is the constant companion pouring only negative thoughts into Duryodhana’s mind. On the otherhand, Pandavas have the council of the Lord himself.) However, the counsel of Rama to Sita before going to forest and Sita’s unmatched response brings us the true Ideal of Marriage, i.e., a husband should always give first priority to his wife’s interests and happiness than to his personal interests and should protect her like an armour. Likewise, wife should share not only happiness but even the problems of husband and should be like a reserve battery, a solace for him. Then Marriage becomes blissful and no power can separate the couple.

“The householder must always please his wife with money, clothes, love, faith, and words like nectar, and never do anything to disturb her... That man who has succeeded in getting the love of a chaste wife has succeeded in his religion and has all the virtues.”Says Swami Vivekananda while taking about the Duties of House Holder in his famous work Karma Yoga.

An Extract from Ramayan by C.Rajagopalachari an English Translation

Dasaratha to Kaikeyi

“Kaikeyi, who has corrupted your mind to see me dead and our race destroyed? I cannot believe that this evil thought is your own. How often have you told me, my dear, that, noble as Bharata is, Rama is nobler still? How can you even entertain the thought of his going away into the wilderness infested by ferocious beasts? How lovingly has Rama treated you and served you! How can you forget all this and steel your heart and utter the words, ‘Send him to the forest’? What fault has he committed? Of the hundreds of women in the palace, has anyone ever uttered a word against his honour or virtue? The whole world loves him for his great and good qualities. How did you alone among so many find cause to dislike him? Is not Rama like Indra himself? Is not his face radiant with goodness and spiritual light like a rishi? The whole world praises his truthfulness and friendliness, his learning and wisdom, his heroism and humility. No one has heard a harsh word from his lips. How can I, his father, say to him ‘Son, go to the forest’? This can never be. Have mercy on me, an old man nearing the end of his days. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - -
- - - - -
- - -- -

Sita"s Resolve

Rama left Sita and went to the King in answer to the message brought by Sumantra. Sita was expecting Rama to return in a chariot with the royal umbrella, followed by a great retinue. But now she saw Rama return alone, unattended, with none of the royal insignia. And she noted on his face the glow of some fixed resolve. Rama was thinking as he came how he could break to his beloved the news that his father had decreed that he was to go to forest.

“Something troubles the mind of my lord.” thought Sita, “but what can anything matter so long as there is our love?” And she asked him: “What is the matter? Why do you look so strangely?”

Rama told the story briefly and then added: “Princess, my love, I can well imagine your sorrow at having to part from me and stay here. Janaka’s daughter requires not my guidance to her duty. Be thoughtful of the comfort of the kind and the three queens – your mothers. Your love for me, I trust, will not grow any less during this absence. I shall return from forest after these fourteen years. Till then do not neglect customary rites and ceremonies. Mother Kausalya in her sorrow will need your attentive care. Bharata and Satrughna are dear to me. You will look upon them as your brothers. Conduct yourself as befits your royal race and your own nature. Avoid extolling me as to give possible offence to other good men. I must go to the forest today. Keep your mind steady and calm.”

When Sita heard this unexpected speech, her love for Rama manifested itself as anger that he should for a moment conceive that she could consent to part from him and live in comfort in the palace while he was a homeless wanderer in pathless forests.

“A fine speech you have made, O Knower of dharma. It is to me a strange doctrine that a wife is diverse from her husband and that his duty is not hers, and that she has no right to share in it. I can never accept it. I hold that your fortunes are mine, and if Rama has to go to the forest, the command includes Sita also, who is a part of him. I shall walk in front of you in the forest ways and tread the thorns and the hard ground to make them smooth for your feet. Do not think me obstinate. My father and mother have instructed me in dharma. What you tell me is totally opposed to what they have taught me. To go with you wherever you go – that is my only course. If you must go to the forest today, then today I go with you. There is no room here for any discussion. Do not think that I cannot bear forest life.. With you by my side it will be a joyous holiday. I shall not be a source of trouble to you. I shall eat fruits and roots like you and I shall not lag behind as we walk.

I have long wished to go to the woods with you and rejoice in the sight of great mountains and rivers. I shall spend the time most happily among the birds and flowers, bathing in the rivers and doing the daily rites.

Away from you, I do not care for Heaven itself. I shall surely die if you leave me behind. I implore you to take me with you. Have pity on me. Do not forsake me now.”

Beginning in anger, her speech ended in sobs. Raama explained Sita that life in the forest was not an easy as she thought and set out at great length the difficulties and dangers and again insisted that she should not think of accompanying him.

Sita’s eyes filled with tears. “Tigers, lions, bears, snakes – none of them will come near me. They will flee from us at the sight of you. The sun, rain, wind and hunger and the spikes and thorny you speak of – I shall endure them all
cheerfully.

I am not in the least afraid, and on the other hand you may be certain life will depart from this body if you leave me here and go.”

“For whom is forest life unpleasant? Only to those men and women who have not controlled their senses. You and I can be masters of our senses and miss nothing. I implore you, put me not away from you, for parting from you is more cruel than death..”

"A man said to Ravana, "You have been going to Sita in different disguises; why don"t you go to her in the form of Rama?"

"But", Ravana replied "when I meditate on Rama in my heart, the most beautiful women-celestial maidens like Rambha and Tilottama-appear no better than ashes of the funeral pyre. Then even the position of Brahma appears trivial to me, not to speak of the beauty of another man"s wife.’”

"O Mother, make me like Sita, completely forgetful of everything-body and limbs-,totally unconscious of hands, feet, and sense-organs-only the one thought in her mind,

"Where is Rama?" " – Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

Thanks
One more soul in God's Creation

The about post reflects my views on weakening Marriage institution in present day. Comments are invited. Will respond with in a day as i am a student busy with my preparation.

Those who hate new comers in the form please abstain from commenting.

raj

raj,

i wish to apologize if i appeared to 'hate' you.

you have my detailed explanation in another post. hope that explains the background and somewhat vigilancy here.

whenever you have the time, you can go through posts here, where people have come under guises with names sounding very much like yours and under the cover of evangelism on side and extreme fundamentalist hinduism on the other side.

i think, per the aims of this forum, there is no place for this here.

if i am remiss, in doubting your bona fide, and if indeed you are a brahmin or one who wishes tamil hindu faith well, please accept this apology.

please note that this forum is not for brahmin only, but intended to be in the best interests of tamil brahmins.

all this could have been avoided, if you had taken our initial query seriously, and disproved it.

also, i hope you are the student of VIHE to whom this article from whom this has been copied verbatim and completely. this has been published last in sulekha in 2008. if not, you will be violating copyright laws, and also putting this forum's owner of abetting copyright violation.

http://studentofvihe.sulekha.com/blog/post/2008/10/the-ideal-of-marriage.htm

please do not consider this again, as a 'hate' mongering against newcomer. but just a caution.

i am quite sure you will understand

thank you.

Last edited:
The post by jaCoG's post resembles a collage of thoughts. Just pouring out of bursting thoughts.

Does the initiator want to show that every man and woman should be like Sri Rama and Sita - That is an ideal , and we are taught from childhood about Sri Rama's virtues and Sita's paativratyam etc.

Or is he lamenting about the overgrowing number of divorces?

Or the status of women in India? ( quite hackneyed-- media resorts to these gimmicks whenever they run out of other juicy topics )

It is the duty of any author(writer) to portray his hero or heroin(protagonists) as the best of every thing. Valmiki also did exactly so.

Take the puranas-- Vishnu puranam may deal with only Vishnu as the numero Uno.

Shiva Puranam may only glorify Shiva.

Later day writers have eulogised Lakshmana and Urmila.
Why, even Ravana was made a hero (with deliberate vehemance) by some.They enacted Keemaayanam.

It is no wonder that Valmiki has made Rama the embodiment of all virtues.

Mahatma Gandhi is considered the Ideal by his followers and fans.But Mahatmaji himself was more open in his own autobiographical book ,than his other biographers.

My request to jaCoG is. yes there are some anguish simmering.very good, but please don't dwell on the same old chewed cuds.Come with fresh ideas and solutions , rather than just repeating problems.Society needs solutions from yungsters.Travel in a different track.bring fresh air.Don't suffocate.

Greetings.

P.S
Malayalam Poet Kunjunni , famous for his one liners and two liners,
has interpreted word RAMAYANAM = Raa Maayanam = Darkness be erased.
Ra- Raavu,Iravu,Rathri, night,darkness
Maayanam= to be erased ,(equivalnet of "adithal" after ezhuthal in tamil)

surya,

i think, every once in a while, there is a burst of indignation at the way someone percieves the way society is moving.

the tone of the 'ideal marriage' in this post, i think, is not all that different from the tone of the 'wayward brahmin' by jamadagneya a few months ago.

these folks might not have realized it, but it is not unlike the sermons. பாவிகளே, these appear to address the forum, and try to work us up against our corruptions. we are the sinners, who have not yet seen the light. come and find how far corrupted we have been corrupted, and lo and behold, now follow them, to the path of true faith.

personally, i get tired, like of these அரச்சமாவுஸ்.

perhaps, the messages would have been more effective, if the current rate of marriage failures have been highlighted.

then the reasons for the failurs thought through. this would involve a level of thinking and analysis, which takes far more effort than verbatim quotes taken from the scriptures or holy books.

the world of today is far too complex to try to fit the ancient morals within the context of our mores. events and relationships, which were never even dreamed of even 50 years ago, are today a matter of fact.

how many of us, even 20 years ago would have imagined our womenfolk, not only competing with the males, but besting them in job performance and wages? to tell these females to follow the example of sita, i think, just would not play.

many of our own mothers cannot relate to sita. after all, in many ways under today's laws, she would have been considered abused. just imagine, sending your wife out of the house, based on some street gossip. the woman of today need not jump in fire to prove her point. all she has to do is to go to the nearest lawyer, and before long, the plaintive male will not only see a considerable portion of his salary garnished, but visiting rites to his children rationed and curtailed.

we have come a long way from rama sita towards empowering the woman.

even though i am a supporter of this emancipation of women, for arguement's sake, i have taken a neutral tone, and placed all of the above sentiments, more as a reflection of today's facts.

i think, the trouble comes, when a male (it is usually a male) when confronted with disappointments, and probably blessed with an himalayan sized ego, would longingly long back to the days when suzerainty of the house was based on the brawn and not necessarily on the brain.

i suspect, there are many more of such types out there in the community, than those who venture to come here at intervals, to pour out their frustrations and tinge it with socio religious calls for such evasive causes as moral rearmament or brahmin unity.

jai hind?

Sri Kunjuppu said :-

"many of our own mothers cannot relate to sita. after all, in many ways under today's laws, she would have been considered abused. just imagine, sending your wife out of the house, based on some street gossip. the woman of today need not jump in fire to prove her point. all she has to do is to go to the nearest lawyer, and before long, the plaintive male will not only see a considerable portion of his salary garnished, but visiting rites to his children rationed and curtailed."

Sri Kunjuppu,

When I was reading the first post, these were the exact thoughts going through my mind. You have already expressed them.

About the 'male ego' :- Sri Ramachandra asked Sita to perform 'agni Pravesam'. But is there a mention of Sri. Rama doing anything similar to prove to Sita that he stayed as a 'Eka patni vradhan'? I always wondered about that.

This learned forum may have answers. Thanks.

Mr Kunjuppu

Your guess is right. I AM THE STUDENT OF V.I.H.E - VIVEKANANDA INSTITUTE OF HUMAN EXCELLENCE.

PLEASE FIND MY BLOGS EVEN IN REDIFFILAND, WITH THE SAME NAME.

i do aware of copyright laws.

just because i posted an email forward in one of my first blogs, don't think that i am a copy paste guy.

God has given intellect to every human being.

student of v.i.h.e
playing the drama of life
one more soul in God's creation

Last edited:
Mr Kunjuppu

Your guess is right. I AM THE STUDENT OF V.I.H.E - VIVEKANANDA INSTITUTE OF HUMAN EXCELLENCE.

PLEASE FIND MY BLOGS EVEN IN REDIFFILAND, WITH THE SAME NAME.

i do aware of copyright laws.

just because i posted an email forward in one of my first blogs, don't think that i am a copy paste guy.

God has given intellect to every human being.

student of v.i.h.e
playing the drama of life
one more soul in God's creation

Dear friend,

Please don't mistake Sri Kunjuppu.

This forum is open to all. Anybody having an email can get into this forum. Getting an email is not difficult.

Some of the members who were earlier banned may attempt to re-enter the forum with a new name.

May be Sri Kunjuppu had some doubt which he has understood and also openly apologised to you.

Regarding articles appearing in some other website, it is always preferable to give the weblink url instead of pasting the whole thing. This is being followed by all of us. It doesn't violate any copyright. It saves space of our website also.

We welcome you and request you to enlighten us. We have nothing against you. Please participate in the discussions/debates. None of us are against you. Please erase all the past misunderstandings if any.

All the best

raj,

having had the chance to read your pre-edited reply, i do accept that folks like me appear as fools to certain learned folks, like yourselves. i do beg you to bear with my ignorance, and peruse the following that may sound reasonable arguements emanating from a rather mentally sparse mind :)

this explanation below, just a request to explain the couple of instances in our brief interlude here in this forum.

put yourself in my position. imagine, you read an article, claiming authorship under a different name. to the best of your memory, it sounded very much like what you have read before, a long time ago, in a different blog.

would you not challenge it? or would you just let it pass by, accepting that plagiarism is indeed a fact of today's life?i request you to look back at my query in this context. hope you find it reasonable.

again, had your moniker here been yetanotherchildofvivekananda, probably, i would not even have given it a second look.

child of good, reminds me very much of the catholic trinity of father, son and the holy ghost - the son here being you, and perhaps i understood some intuitive reference to god the father from you.

it was again in this context, that i queried you. while my apology is unconditional, i hope the basis of my queries atleast had a logic behind it.

had i expressed the logic first, we would have been far ahead in what i think was the purpose of our queries here in this thread and in ego.

perhaps, if you don't mind, you can now address KRS the moderator's request to you, to address the repartees that have been placed before you in various posts, as a consequence of your initiations.

thank you.

Last edited:
Sri Kunjuppu said :-

"many of our own mothers cannot relate to sita. after all, in many ways under today's laws, she would have been considered abused. just imagine, sending your wife out of the house, based on some street gossip. the woman of today need not jump in fire to prove her point. all she has to do is to go to the nearest lawyer, and before long, the plaintive male will not only see a considerable portion of his salary garnished, but visiting rites to his children rationed and curtailed."

Sri Kunjuppu,

When I was reading the first post, these were the exact thoughts going through my mind. You have already expressed them.

About the 'male ego' :- Sri Ramachandra asked Sita to perform 'agni Pravesam'. But is there a mention of Sri. Rama doing anything similar to prove to Sita that he stayed as a 'Eka patni vradhan'? I always wondered about that.

This learned forum may have answers. Thanks.

I am not willing to say I am learned or that I know much about Ramayana. But it does sadden me to see the Ramayana being used as a topic for debate (pretty much like the pattimanram). If Rama was full of 'male ego' as is said, he wouldn't have gone to such lengths to find his wife and bring her back. People who have read the Valmiki Ramayana will know that when Rama met Sita after killing Ravana, she is not comfortable meeting him. In our male driven and a feminist society (yes it is contrasting as the society consists of either male chauvinists or feminists mostly.People who are neutral are by and far very few), anything will be mis-interpreted.

Rama and Sita can be considered the best examples of a married couple. Sita was a great 'pativratha', at the same time, she was quite learned. She did not follow her husband blindly like is portrayed by all. She was consulted by Rama on every aspect of their life. She chose to go with Rama to the forest and was not forced.

The decline of the 'Instituition called marriage' can be attributed to many reasons. The faults rest on both parties (husband and wife) accentuated by the others (parents and in-laws). Being open with each other can solve most issues.

I am deleting your message here and will keep on deleting your future messages till you comply with our request through a personal mail to you. Ignoring our requests is not proper. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited by a moderator:
Sow. Sri Iyer Ponnu said:-
“I am not willing to say I am learned or that I know much about Ramayana. But it does sadden me to see the Ramayana being used as a topic for debate (pretty much like the pattimanram). If Rama was full of 'male ego' as is said, he wouldn't have gone to such lengths to find his wife and bring her back. People who have read the Valmiki Ramayana will know that when Rama met Sita after killing Ravana, she is not comfortable meeting him. In our male driven and a feminist society (yes it is contrasting as the society consists of either male chauvinists or feminists mostly.People who are neutral are by and far very few), anything will be mis-interpreted.”

Sow. Iyer Ponnu,
You have quoted one of my messages and wrote the above quoted message. If you check my message, all I said was ‘About the ‘male ego’’. Please allow me to analyse that.
If Ramayana was considered as just a story, then any criticism would squarely reflect upon the author namely Sri. Valmiki; how ever, Sri. Valmiki would have reflected the attitudes of the society of that time in his writings. So, the criticism would be generally directed at the society.
If Ramayana is considered as an actual event and Sri. Ramachandra is considered as an avatar; legend has it that Sri. Valmiki wrote Ramayana just before it actually happened! So, Sri.Rama in fact could not have done anything different, if it was written already! Any criticism would be directed towards sri. Valmiki.
What is wrong in Ramayana being debated? I have listened to many ‘pattimanrams’, topics chosen from Ramayana characters (both Valmiki Ramayana and Kamba Ramayanam). So many of the ‘pattimanrams’ were aired in All India Radio. In my opinion, such pattimandrams only helped to increase the popularity of Ramayana.
Honestly I don’t see why you should be saddened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back