• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Margazhi Bajanai - Before sunrise with Pongal prasadam

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvraman

When I was In MUSIRI/ near Trichy, Everyday in the Month of Margazi, early morning, (It should be before sunrise), we used to walk down the street singing Bajanai songs with many "Mamas' (26 years back, approx). Many mami's :bored: & Mamiyoda ponngal-s :becky: would draw the Kolum in front of their houses with Poosani poovum, Maatu Chaaniyum. ("andha iruttalayum, super Kolam").

The bajanai will finish at the perumal koil with a tasty,tasty Ven pongal & Sakarai Pongal.

I just wanted to know, is it still followed in other villages / Cities?.

"Vanga Kadal kadandha... Maadhavanai Kesavanai...
Ongi Ulagalandha Uthaman Per Paadi...."

Those songs from the loud speakers were our Suprabadams....

Whole Month!!!!!!!!!.

:D
PV

Margazhi Month is a month for propitiation of Gods.It is still followed and practised although not with the same fervour and Intensity of yesteryears.Most of the Temples open by 5 am or even earlier and the recorded Tiruppavai,Tiruvenbavai are all played through speakers.Prasadams are given to public.People get up early and visit temples early morning.It is believed that entire Margazhi is the usath kalam for GODS.Lots of Music/Bhakthi/Pravachanams are held in Temples and on TV Channels during this month.

I just wanted to know, is it still followed in other villages / Cities?.

:D
PV

In some places in Kerala , it is still followed,but the no.of persons has much dwindled.

Greetings

p.s : Under 'Agraharams" hread I suggested a sub forum, for discussing such nostalgic experiences.I still hold the view.

HMMM.....

I experienced this till I studied 5th std in periakulam. I dont about the present day situation. Anyhow, I wont go with them. I prostrate before them in half-sleep. My brother even wont do that. He will justify to my mom that, yesterday only he did some nuisance in that same street, and how can he prostrate in the street this morning??? (A nice query). Also, he is too too hygeinic. I myself wont consider these things. I will do whatever things that make my mom happy and instead bring scoldings to my brother.

After a few years, learnt thirupavai. But, getting up in that early mornings (That too in margazhi) is ....

My mom's younger day thirupavai starts like this

"Margazhi thingal madi niraya pongal"...

Eating hot pongal in that cold climate. Wowowow. Simply superb.

Pranams

In my village Perumal temple, I use to join the Bhajan mainly focussing Pongal during my school days.. Bhattachariar use to give tasty pongal on all the thirty days. Those days will never come back

All the best

Dear all,

I very strongly object to this thread! Talk about Pongal, then I have to cook pongal. Thiruppavai is no problem; my dear wife sings Thiruppavai nicely. But, nothing to beat the Prasadam Pongal! (Having said that, I was in Sydney Srinivasa Perumal Koil during one Margazhi, Friday. The Sarkari Pongal was superb! The Batachar was very kind enough to issue a huge share to our son). Sri. PVR, having started this thread, I humbly request you to distribute (nei vazhiyum) Pongal to all the members, please!

Ok Raghy -thanks for reminding the main topic.

I request Prof Nara ji to give explanations for atleast one pasuram from Aandal's Tiruppavai and Thondaradipodi Aazhawars Tiruppalli Ezhuchi.

Kannadaasan said `Kodai Aandal Thamizhai Aandal'

கோதை ஆண்டாள் தமிழை ஆண்டாள்

It is 100% true. Each and every song is a literary jewel.

Thondaradipodi Aazhwar refused to sing anybody other than Sri Ranganathar of Srirengam.

பச்சை மா மலைபோல் மேனி பவழ வாய் கமல செங்கண் அச்சுதா அமராரே ஆயர் தம் கொழுந்தே உந்தன் இச்சுவை பெறுவேன் ஆயின் இந்திர லோகம் ஆளும் அச்சுவை பெறினும் வேண்டேன் அரங்கமா அருளறாரே

I eanestly feel that nobody can compose better than the above about Sri Renganathar.

I also request Sri Durgadasan to give explanations for Manickavasagar's Thiruvembavai and Thiruppalli Ezhuchi at the rate of one song per day. Again Kannadaasan has written
கன்னி தமிழ் தந்ததொரு திருவாசகம். Recently Music Director Ilayaraaja added wonderful music to the marvelous work of Manickavaasagar.

Probably both can commence from first day of Margazhi i.e. 16th December, 2009

All the best

Dear Raman,

Can we ever forget Margazhi masam, the bhajans, thiruppavai, thiruvembavai and thiruppalli ezhuchi and ......... as you told the lip smacking prasadams from both Perumal Kovil and Sivan Kovil.

We in our boyhood know on which days of the week or on which date of Margazhi masam, when a particular paasuram is due to be sung, which prasadam will be distributed where. (e.g. 'koodaarai vellum' surely fetches you chakkarai pongal with ghee all over).

Some days, only for prasadams, we have gone to those temples without having a bath and after eating the prasadam, we have come back home and continued our happy sleep for the extended hours.

Oh, those days....!

பால்சோறு மூட நெய் பெய்து முழங்கை வழிவார
கூடியிருந்து குளிர்ந்தேலோரெம்பாவாய்

I dont know whether the thirupavai and thiruvempavai reached people to a large extent, but as per this pasuram pongal has reached people much extent that it owned a thread itself in our forum. Ohhhh... Am eagerly waiting for this pongal oppurtunity.
I will try to provide meanings for Pavai pasurams to some extent.
Pranams

Does anyone Knows the reason ....
Why," Bajanai " walks in the early mornings on the streets performed by men of our castes as a regular practice....for men

and ,"Koolam Culture" particularly insisted to follow as a regular practice for Ladies (Strictly before Sun Raise) during Margazhi is insisted?

This is because during the month of Margazhi , The Ozon comes very closer to the earth.As a result of it enormous ,"Oxygen" is available on the atmosphere.

If men and women made a practice to breath the," Fresh Oxygen " at that time by coming out of their houses,it will be very good for their health.That is the reason why our ancesters created this practice to be followed during Margazhi.What we are doing?

We simply sleep up to 7 am and the ladies Put Koolam after seeing Koolangal or Chitti at mid night and closes the door till 7 am in fear of Severe Cold and opens the door after 7 am.

Our culture is slowly dis appearing.

We simply sleep up to 7 am and the ladies Put Koolam after seeing Koolangal or Chitti at mid night and closes the door till 7 am in fear of Severe Cold and opens the door after 7 am.

Our culture is slowly dis appearing.

Is this why people on average are living longer and having better health and better quality of life???

Dear Sri Raghy,

Dear all,

I very strongly object to this thread! Talk about Pongal, then I have to cook pongal. Thiruppavai is no problem; my dear wife sings Thiruppavai nicely. But, nothing to beat the Prasadam Pongal! (Having said that, I was in Sydney Srinivasa Perumal Koil during one Margazhi, Friday. The Sarkari Pongal was superb! The Batachar was very kind enough to issue a huge share to our son). Sri. PVR, having started this thread, I humbly request you to distribute (nei vazhiyum) Pongal to all the members, please!

My pleasure. During my trip to india this month :drum: .
I will try to see, in which temple, thiruppavai and thiruvembaavai are sung properly.. (really..................:D)

Thanks

Dear Raman,

Can we ever forget Margazhi masam, the bhajans, thiruppavai, thiruvembavai and thiruppalli ezhuchi and ......... as you told the lip smacking prasadams from both Perumal Kovil and Sivan Kovil.

We in our boyhood know on which days of the week or on which date of Margazhi masam, when a particular paasuram is due to be sung, which prasadam will be distributed where. (e.g. 'koodaarai vellum' surely fetches you chakkarai pongal with ghee all over).

Some days, only for prasadams, we have gone to those temples without having a bath and after eating the prasadam, we have come back home and continued our happy sleep for the extended hours.

Oh, those days....!

Dear Sri Pannvalan,

Yes...fortunately, we had a agreement with our battachariyar so he will always reserve the prasadam for our group, bajanaiya miss panninalum pongalai miss pannave maattom............

Regards

How this hot pongal originates in relation with this margazhi bajanai??? Even andal has mentioned only "paal soru" and how people changed that to superb pongal (i hate eating paal sadham)...

Pranams

Dear Shri Nara,

Many thanks for the link.

I have not gone through it beyond the introduction, because I will do it during my journey tomorrow..

Regards

I will be happy if someone provides a link that gives elaborate interpretations in Tamil. Is there one?

(Being a Tamil myself, I like to have Tamil version for an original Tamil work; not in English or any other language)

Raman,

Thank you for the useful link. But the language satre karadu muradaaga illaamal elimaiyaaga irundhal, innum nandraaga irundhirukkum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back