• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How about the star "kettai"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

How about you feel with the star Kettai or jyeshta. Many people say that it as a bad star. Also, the boy in kettai is considered equal to girl in moolam. Is that OK? Any astrological significance there?

Also, is that marriage should not be done to a girl possessing elder brother with a kettai boy is a logical statement? (I mean kettaiku mootha machinan irukka kudada?)

Whether Kettai nakshtram child born as a second child is not good for the first child?

Explain please...:laser:

Pranams

ayyo durga,

one of those life's unfortunate fate is to get kettai for boys.

actually my sister is kettai. not sure if it would have affected her marriage prospects if gone through traditional method.

she saved my parents such trouble, by choosing her own.

my son is kettai. but he lives in canada.

personally, my own arranged marriage was performed without jadhagam porutham, as my mother had no faith in it. my father was indifferent.

personally, i think, we should set ourselves to win.

not sure, how these folks handle. i always so sorry for the kettais and moolams.. absolutely no fault of these innocent folks.

should be some prayaschitham somewhere!

"Kettai nakshathram jyeshtanukku agaathu" is a saying without any scientific basis.
(jyeshtan means elder son in the family)

If somebody says this, in reply tell like this.

"Kettai nakshathram kettathellam vaari kodukkum".

Now, you would have understood many such sayings have only rhyme, no reason.

Dear Kunjuppu uncle and Pannvalan sir,

I too consider like you only. But, why this kind of approach? All the constellations are god's own creation na. Why moolam, kettai, rohini, ayilyam, pooradam are said like that. Without hearing the next thing, people all of a sudden reject the horoscope simply saying Jyeshta will suit for their girl, but our josiar said jyesta guy should not be your Mapillai, then he will trouble your elder son. I am just making out of these kinda false regardings.

Thanks sir and I expect swami ji to explain on this. Whether is there any dosha like that just becoz of the star.

Pranams

Dear all,

No two clocks will show the same time.

No two doctors will diagnose and treat the same way.

No two lawyers will agree on certain legal points.

Two jyodhishas (josiyers) will give three different opinions.
(Swaminatha Sharma, please excuse).

Ok Ok... But plain Kunjuppu is not fair. I will siffix that with sir. See even you are not calling me plainly as durga, how can I???

Pranams

Swami ji
Thanks for your clarification. Whether the kettai will affect other persons, I mean the boy born in kettai marrying a girl having elder brother will affect that elder brother???

:pout:I have been an amature astrologer for over 30 years and I can definetely say that the star Kettai is per se not bad.The tamil saying Kettai Jeyshtanukku aagadu is without any basis.Each horoscope has to be determined based on the position of the planets at the time of birth.
Let us forget the unwarranted pazhamozhis about various stars

i think, it was the overwhelming numbers of kids with these 'bad' stars that made my mom and several other relatives to give up their faith in stars and stopped ganikkal of jaadhagams.

too heavy a burden to carry. what we don't know won't hurt us (!)

by the way, a question for the astrologers... do you analyse your own or your own family horoscope? or get it done by others?

also, any comment, on why the common perception, that no two astrologers agree.

don't take this two queries seriously. but these are bandied about in day to day conversations, atleast when i was young. hence more satisfying my curiosity.

thank you.

1. Brihat Samhita by Varahamihira
2. Brihat Jatakam by Varahamihira
3. Horasara by Prithyusas
4. Jataka Parijatham by Vaidhyanatha Dikshita
5. Jataka tatvam by Mahadeva
6. Uttarakaalamrutham by Kalidasa
7. Jatakadesamargam by Pothumanai Somadri
8. Jataka Alankaram by Ganesa Devajna
9. Sangetha Nidhi by Ramadayalu
10. Kalaprakasika, Sarvartha Chintamani, Paladipika etc., by later day Astrologers
These are the books my friend who is an astrologer has extensively researched and come to the conclusion that the following assertions by old ladies in the family and some paart-time astrologers is all wrong and does not deserve even a qualified acceptance.
a) kettai jyeshtanukku aakathu. i.e. a kettai girl or boy would bring bad luck to the brother of his/her spouse.
b)moolam - nirmoolam.( Sheer nonsense.) a girl or boy born in moolam will cause harm to the father in law.
c)Rohini- not good to the uncle
d) pooraadam -nooladathu. will be harmful to the mangalyam of the mother in law.
e)Ayilyam-maamiyar athir santhiyile-will harm the mother in law's life.

He further advises that horoscope matching should be done only by a learned astrologer with a lot of experience. He will first see the dasavitha poruththam and then will look at the overlapping of any dasas, and then look at the individual horoscopes to asses the level of dosha samyam. That is all what is required. Beyond this if he tells you any thing about the stars just discount it straight and go to another astrologer because he has just revealed his pretensions to knowledge and hollowness. All stars are good. There are innumerable cases of couples living happily with their in-laws despite being born in these stars. Whereas there is not even a single case where the above foolish assertions have come true. All the experts in jyothisham say one thing in unison that is that what the horoscopes reveal can be changed by true devotion to God. So take that also into account. Best wishes.

Speaking about horoscopes and astrologers I would like to share with the members another very interesting anecdote. One of my friends was looking for a suitable match for his son. When he consulted an astrologer the astrologer told him that his son had kalathra dosham in his horoscope(means there is a bad planet sitting in the seventh house from lagna in his horoscope which is called the kalathra sthaanam) and the first wife of the boy when he gets married will die.So he will have to marry a second time. On paying a further fee and on the second visit to him the astrologer further advised that he can escape from the problem by first asking his son to marry a plantain tree or a doll of a girl and 'killing it'(by wrenching the head of the doll or by cutting the banana tree into two pieces). That would effectively mean that he has married once and got rid of the first wife. So he will be fit to marry another girl now. Strange are the ways of these astrologers. My friend consulted another astrologer who told him not to follow the advice because a brahmin cannot do that. He cannot even think of murder leave alone symbolically doing it. He was advised some other parikaram which was saatwik in nature and content and the boy is married . So beware of quacks and retired oldmen prowling as part-time astrologers with just bookish knowledge.My intention is not to hurt anyone's feelings. But truth has to be told in the interest of the community.

........On paying a further fee and on the second visit to him the astrologer further advised that he can escape from the problem by first asking his son to marry a plantain tree or a doll of a girl and 'killing it'(by wrenching the head of the doll or by cutting the banana tree into two pieces). That would effectively mean that he has married once and got rid of the first wife. So he will be fit to marry another girl now. ......

if he can marry a doll, he can as well marry a banana. in which case, all he has to do, is to eat the banana.

he will have succeeded in two fronts - got rid of his wife, and whetted his appetite in the bargain.

:)

re marriage to dolls, there are very lifelike dolls available now a days, with all the right anatomy, which i was told, even through battery operation, functions like the real one.

in which case, our guy, if he gets one of these, he might get so attached to an ever willing partner, might opt out of having the real flesh and blood pathni :)

Last edited:
When it comes to prediction, errors can always occur. We need not point only to astrologers.

Doctors go wrong in diagnosis and treatment.

Weathermen go wrong in their prediction

Economists fail in their prediction about economy

Money markets prediction go haywire.

Scientists sometimes go wrong in research , space explorations fail.

So even if data given is same, the analysis and interpretation of the data to arrive at a conclusion varies. Correlation of the filtered data with ground realities is something very tricky. For all the above categories of professionals the data are more reliable and recorded, than the data given to an astrologer. Hence the guesswork is more in the part of an astrologer. And the chance of going wrong is more..

Then, regarding AAyilyam ,Kettai, Moolam ,pooraadam etc, these probably were all spread by somebody ,who either wanted to avoid certain cases, or who really experienced some bad effects ( the actual reason may be something else).It is interesting to see that they are all rhyming. (On the opposite also- Bharani pillai Dharani aalum” . I have heard some grand old women saying “ gotram paathaa mootram pokaathu” how silly?
What can be said for the same person born under same star, in another language?. So it is just one’s own perception. One with confidence and courage can ignore.
Generally people want favourable predictions, when they go to an astrologer. If it turns out to be unfavourable, they don’t like him. So a professional astrologer like any other profession) if he is to continue in the profession to earn income, slightly dilutes his prediction .

It is not the astrologer to be blamed , but the person who goes to him...

When it comes to prediction, errors can always occur. We need not point only to astrologers.

Doctors go wrong in diagnosis and treatment.

Weathermen go wrong in their prediction

Economists fail in their prediction about economy

Money markets prediction go haywire.

Scientists sometimes go wrong in research , space explorations fail.

So even if data given is same, the analysis and interpretation of the data to arrive at a conclusion varies. Correlation of the filtered data with ground realities is something very tricky. For all the above categories of professionals the data are more reliable and recorded, than the data given to an astrologer. Hence the guesswork is more in the part of an astrologer. And the chance of going wrong is more..

Then, regarding AAyilyam ,Kettai, Moolam ,pooraadam etc, these probably were all spread by somebody ,who either wanted to avoid certain cases, or who really experienced some bad effects ( the actual reason may be something else).It is interesting to see that they are all rhyming. (On the opposite also- Bharani pillai Dharani aalum” . I have heard some grand old women saying “ gotram paathaa mootram pokaathu” how silly?
What can be said for the same person born under same star, in another language?. So it is just one’s own perception. One with confidence and courage can ignore.
Generally people want favourable predictions, when they go to an astrologer. If it turns out to be unfavourable, they don’t like him. So a professional astrologer like any other profession) if he is to continue in the profession to earn income, slightly dilutes his prediction .

It is not the astrologer to be blamed , but the person who goes to him...
Let us not convert this into a grand attempt on equivocation. What I understand from your so many words is that we need not believe astrologers because they deal with inadequate data to start with and flawed data in whatever they have and hence a horribly botched up future prediction. Then what are they doing? And why waste time with them?

What is a Birth star how you arrive that? or how on Earth we predict so many things?

//I cant get wat you are saying here.....
Please elaborate....???//

1)//For all the above categories of professionals the data are more reliable and recorded, than the data given to an astrologer. Hence the guesswork is more in the part of an astrologer. And the chance of going wrong is more.. // means data in hand is inadequate.
2)//When it comes to prediction, errors can always occur. We need not point only to astrologers.// means botched up predictions.
Hope now it is clear.

What is a Birth star how you arrive that?

Birth star ,in simple sense is the star as shown in panchangams, on the day of birth and time of birth. Fine tuning for astrological calculations can be done by a learned astrologer. This decides the janmaRasi(position of moon in zodiac) in the horoscope.

or how on Earth we predict so many things?[/QUOTE]

that itself is amazing.there are lot of permutations and combinations of all the 12 zodiacs/9planets (with maandi in some cases),the combinations can be mindboggling.To sift thru all the possibilities and predict is really amazing.asrology is coming from ages when computer was not available.The whole thing got worked inside mind with some basic mathematic functions. that also with division with 9 and some additions and subtractions.

I used to wonder how precisely they used to declare the eclipses in Panchaangams year(s) before and it so happens.Now the scientists do same thing with help of sophisticated machines.

With certain planetary combinations, the astrologers predicted rains(eg;budha and sukra in combination with Surya).It can be seen declared in some calendars. But the predicions of meteorlogical dept , with its sophisticated instruments and precise data go haywire, even with prediction just 24 hrs before. So they update hourly intervals,and that also say only probability.

This is not to belittle others but to highlight the task f astrologers -- not forgetting that they also go wrong at times.

(I feel lot of research,recordings.follow up and systematisation to suit modern conditions is needed in this branch of prediction)

Greetings.

Asrology is as much a science as the other fields.But several factors have to be considered for arriving at a correct prediction.An erudite well learnt astrologer can give correct predictions but the basic data given to him should be correct.
If the basic data given is wrong you cannot blamean astrologer
I would like to share with all a classic piece of prediction which my late father used to narrate
It was in his school days in the early 1900s. The late british monarch who became Edward VIII and abdicated had just been born and the local astrologer a Panickar had somehow got the birth details and he told my Grand Fther :Inda Jathkam Raajyabistnan akum: It seems my GF told the astrologer keep quite the police will thrash you.But the astologer siad Sastram will not fault.The astrologer prediction came correct moere than 30 yeard laterOne must not blame the science of astrology but the data given and the qualities of the astrologer
You can give general predictions but detailed ones are apt to go wrong because of the several factors involed.

Whether the astrologer himself can predict the time (am not saying DOB; but the exact time) by seeing the person or estimating his qualities??? Because in my horoscope it was previously written as 16:02, later an astrologer said that the time was meant for a female child and so that should be only 15:58. I dont know within this 4 minutes what changes will occur and how they judge the sex of the child with the time... Anyhow am just asking this for clarification

Pranams

Whether the astrologer himself can predict the time (am not saying DOB; but the exact time) by seeing the person or estimating his qualities??? Because in my horoscope it was previously written as 16:02, later an astrologer said that the time was meant for a female child and so that should be only 15:58. I dont know within this 4 minutes what changes will occur and how they judge the sex of the child with the time... Anyhow am just asking this for clarification

Pranams
Dear DD I think the astrologer went a little too far.But there may be a dew cases when such thiings can occur, A few grahs moved during the few minutes and the astrologer knows you well. So based in his personal knoledge of your case he may have corrected the same,
Why don"t you give ne your DOB and I will check the time and tell you if there has been any movement of Grihas at that time

I have got DDs details and I am going to check up ONLY if during the few minutes ant planet transit tiik place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back