• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pithur tharpanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time amavasai and "aipasi" vishu punyakalam are coinciding on the same day i.e. Sat, 17th oct 2009. Those who perform pithru tharpanam have a doubt as to whether only one tharpanam is to be performed or both. If both, which one is to be performed first - whether amavasai or vishu punyakalam. A suitable claification on this point will be very useful for the community.

Always give importance to pithur karya. What will you if varalakshmi vrdham and srardham coincides??? You have to do srartham now and next week pooja can be done. Similar logic can be applied here. At any cost we should not make our pithrus to wait...

Please find enclosed sangalpa manthram for Tharpanam for rest of the year.

I hope it is correct. If not, I request the concerned experts to correct it.

17-10-2009 Thula ravi Sankramanam/amavasya*
Virodhi nama samvathsare ,dakshinayane , sharad rithou, thula mase , krishna pakshe, tamavasyam punya thidhou , sthira vasara yukthayam, hastha nakshatra yukthayam, shubhayoga, shubhakarana evam guna viseshena, visishtayam asyam amavasya punya thidhou, thula ravi (amavasya) punyakale, thula ravi sankramana sradham , thilatharpana roopena adhya karishye
* The sarva Amavasya and Thula Samkramanam comes on same day. According to rules we need to perform Amavasya Tharpanam only.Please consult your elders as to the family practice.

16-11-2009 Amavasya
Virodhi nama samvathsare ,dakshinayane , sharad rithou, vruschiga mase , Krishna pakshe, adhya amavasyam punya thidhou , Indu vasara yukthayam, Vishakha nakshatra yukthayam, shubhayoga, shubhakarana evam guna viseshena, visishtayam asyam amavasyam punya thidhou, amavasya punyakale, darsa sradham , thilatharpana roopena adhya karishye

16-12-2009 Amavasya
Virodhi nama samvathsare ,dakshinayane , hemantha rithou, dhanur mase , Krishna pakshe, adhya amavasyam punya thidhou , soumya vasara yukthayam, Jyeshta nakshatra yukthayam, shubhayoga, shubhakarana evam guna viseshena, visishtayam asyam amavasyam punya thidhou, amavasya punyakale, darsa sradham , thilatharpana roopena adhya karishye

14-1-2010 Makara ravi sankramanam/Amavasya
Virodhi nama samvathsare ,Utharayane , hemantha rithou, makara mase , Krishna pakshe, adhya amavasyam punya thidhou , guru vasara yukthayam, makha nakshatra yukthayam, shubhayoga, shubhakarana evam guna viseshena, visishtayam asyam Amavasyam punya thidhou, amavasya ( makara ravi) punyakale, (makara ravi sankramana) sradham , thilatharpana roopena adhya karishye
* The sarva Amavasya and Makara Samkramanam comes on same day. According to rules we need to perform Amavasya Tharpanam only.Please consult your elders as to the family practice.

13-2-2010 Amavasya
Virodhi nama samvathsare ,Utharayane , shishira rithou, kumbha mase , Krishna pakshe, adhya amavasyam punya thidhou , sthira vasara yukthayam, sravana nakshatra yukthayam, shubhayoga, shubhakarana evam guna viseshena, visishtayam asyam amavasyam punya thidhou, amavasya punyakale, darsa sradham , thilatharpana roopena adhya karishye

15-3-2010 Amavasya
Virodhi nama samvathsare ,Utharayane , Shishira rithou, meena mase , Krishna pakshe, adhya amavasyam punya thidhou , Indu vasara yukthayam, poorva proshta pada nakshatra yukthayam, shubhayoga, shubhakarana evam guna viseshena, visishtayam asyam amavasyam punya thidhou, amavasya punyakale, darsa sradham , thilatharpana roopena adhya karishye

14-3-2010 Mesha ravi sankramanam
Vikruthi nama samvathsare ,utharayane , sisira rithou, meena mase , krishna pakshe, asya mesha vishu punya kale , Amavasyam punya thidhou , Budha vasara yukthayam, REvathi nakshatra yukthayam, shubhayoga, shubhakarana evam guna viseshena, visishtayam asyam Amavasyam punya thidhou, mesha ravi sankramana punyakale, mesha ravi sankramana sradham , thilatharpana roopena adhya karishye.

All the best

This time amavasai and "aipasi" vishu punyakalam are coinciding on the same day i.e. Sat, 17th oct 2009. Those who perform pithru tharpanam have a doubt as to whether only one tharpanam is to be performed or both.

Only one Tharpanam -- sangrmana (maasa pirappu) tharpanam -- needs to be done.

The less frequent shraddham gets the precedence. Each sangramanam occurs only once a year, whereas Amavasyai is 12 times a year.

Pithru tharpanam

My Father always has a doubt about the placement of Koorcham representing his parents during tharpanams. Can anyone clarify with sketches as to which side should face South? The one with a ring or the ends with straight ends?
Thanks & Respects
Padmanab Sridhar

the side with straight end should face the south. Hope I am correct. Otherwise I seek pardon and me please updated correctly.

Deepavali & amavasi

Should we first do Amavasi Tharpanam on 17/10/2009 and then have oil bath for GANGA SNANAM. Which should take preceedence.
Kindly can any one clarify.

Should we first do Amavasi Tharpanam on 17/10/2009 and then have oil bath for GANGA SNANAM. Which should take preceedence.
Kindly can any one clarify.

Ganga snanam is supposed to be taken about 4 to 2 nAzigai before sunrise. Tharpanam is supposed to be done during kuthapa kalam, i.e. about 11 a.m. So, Ganga snanam has to come first, before sunrise. Then, another snanam is supposed to be done before Tharpanam at about 11 a.m. Until this time the one doing Thanrmpanam is supposed to not eat or drink anything.

Can anyone guide me asto which site will chant amavasai tharpana mantras to follow and do at home. My son has been doing with the cassettes. Now he wants to download and follow the correct procedure.

Lakshmi

Pithru Tarpanam

Since lot of queries has been raised with respect to Tarpanams, I Would like to clarify some points based on my understanding of the subject. The understandings which I am giving are the one's which I am practicing, hence in case of any incorrect information provided by me, I sincerely apologize for the same and request the concerned people to correct me.

Tarpanams

1) Tarpanams have to performed as far as possible at Madhyanika Kalam i.e. after 11.30 AM (working people are excused and may do so early but in case of an holiday try to do the same after 11.30 AM)

2) Tarpanam has to be performed only after the daily Nitya Karma Anushthanams are over. Here I precisely refer to Pratah Sandhyavandanam and Madhyanikam ( Brahmayagyam excluded)

3) People Who perform Shiva puja / Nitya Pooja or any family tradition pooja have to perform the same only after tarpanam is over ( here again Vaishnava Sect is excluded since they perform bhagawan Aradhana first and later perform Pitru tarpanam . In case of Shaivites its the other way round)

4) Actually as per our Shastrams Tarpanams have to be performed on all Amavasya's and masa sankaramam's . But in today’s fast life the same has been reduced to all amavasya's and only 4 masa sankramam’s namely Makara Ravi, Mesha Ravi, Kadaga Ravi and Tula Ravi. In fact most of the vadhyar's if questioned very conveniently claim that only 4 masa Tarpanams have to be performed, but our elders have prescribed Tarpanams on all masa sankaramam's

5) In case Amavasya and Masa Sankramam fall on the same day then the Masa Sankramam should be given priority and accordingly performed .Hence Today (16/11/2009 ) it should be Vrischika ravi which should be given priority. Similarly on 16/12/2009 when Dhanur masam and Amavasya coincides the sankalpam should be for Dhanur Masam.Similarly if Amavasya , Masa Sankramam and Eclipse fall on the same day then Priority is for the rare event i.e. Eclipse.

6) On Tarpanam day after Tarpanam, Brahmayagyam has to be performed without fail which on normal days any way’s we have to perform after Madhyanikam.

7) Since I have covered tarpanam I request all to perform their Nitya Karma Anushthanams (Trikala Sandhyavandanam) also without fail since it is a very important aspect of our lives. Please Perform Nitya karma’s without Fail daily.

Regards

N.Narayan

Last edited:
Thanks Mr Narayan.you have clearly brought out the information in a nice capsule form(they say Rathna surukkam in Tamil).I fully endorse yr views on Nithya Karma Anushtanam,I also agree that in addition to Amavasyas all monthly Transition of Sun is also to be included-rightly pointed out by you.The eclipse days also to be included if any.

With your guidance the last Amavasyay tharpanam for the year virodhi,has been performed.
I need the Sankalpa mantrams for the year Vikruthi (2010-2011)

R Sundhar Raman.

sankalpam for vikruti varsham may be available in giri books,
mylapore, chennai with a single sheet....handy copy..please
try...best of luck
regards
tbs

Sri Narayanan has given a very crisp narrative of how tharpanams and nithyakarmas have to be performed. I also seek guidance as to whether tharpanam has to be done without anointing our forehead with vibhurthi. Some say tht tharpanam has to be done without any mark on forehead. Is it correct?

Sri Narayanan has given a very crisp narrative of how tharpanams and nithyakarmas have to be performed. I also seek guidance as to whether tharpanam has to be done without anointing our forehead with vibhurthi. Some say tht tharpanam has to be done without any mark on forehead. Is it correct?
applying vibhuthi is of family tradition. In our family applying Vibhuthi is a practise followed right from forefather's days on tharpanam and on srardham days.

Applying Vibhuti while performing Tarpanam

applying vibhuthi is of family tradition. In our family applying Vibhuthi is a practise followed right from forefather's days on tharpanam and on srardham days.

Dear Mr DRSundaram

Regarding applying of Vibhuti primarily for all Pithru Kariyams is not recommended , how ever if it is your family tradition then you may continue to do so . However the practice I follow and what learned people have told me is as given below:

As a rule tarpanams are performed in the time period between 11.30 AM and 12.30 noon .Try not to eat any thing till tarpanam is over . In case a person has Hypertension or Diabetes milk may be consumed for the purpose of taking medicines.

The karta has to do one more snanam just before Tarpanam (with a break after perfoming Madhyanikam ) . The vastram to be worn would be separate i.e already hung in a separate place for drying ( which wuld have been personally washed with Madi by the karta on the day of tarpanam during ealry morning bath) . IN case mornings are hectic the karta may do this procedure in the previous night after having bath.

After bath hair in the head needs to be dried but unkempt ( not to be combed with/without oil) , just adjust a bit with your hands and perform Tarpanam . No vibhuti on the head . After tarpanam is over , apply vibhuti and perform Brahmayagyam. Brahmayagyam is mandatory after Tarpanam.

Hower these things are possible only on Holidays for working people . How ever even if you need to leave by 8 Am , these things can be accomplished with little determinaton and perseverence , Since a Day in a month devoted to our fore fathers will never go waste.

This is the way I to perform Tarpanam . Any views and opinions are most welcome.

Thanks & Regards

Narayan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back