• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Doubt: Adding additional poonal - 2 or 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear,

The third poonal works as thrithiyavastram. Many a times, we wander without anythrithiya vastram. Every Brahmin needs to have a thrithiya vastram. The third poonal works as a thrithiya vastram. This is what I was told When I asked my sastrigal about the reason.

Most wear only two.yes I have also heard that the third one serves as a Trithiya Vastram.one more version I have heard(I stand to correction) that the third one is worn by people doing Pithru Karmas.That is after the death of their father.I am not sure about its authenticity but I have heard on many occasions.I wear three on this clause.
Sabesan Narayanaswami

One and half pair poonool

Namassathasae

The third poonool is in lieu of thrithiya vasthram, as rightly pointed out. This has nothing to do with pitru karma. This clarification I got from my late father, who was a Sastrigal.

Most wear only two.yes I have also heard that the third one serves as a Trithiya Vastram.one more version I have heard(I stand to correction) that the third one is worn by people doing Pithru Karmas.That is after the death of their father.I am not sure about its authenticity but I have heard on many occasions.I wear three on this clause.
Sabesan Narayanaswami

I am performing pithru karma for my father but I am wearing only two sets.
Till brahmacharyam one set, during grahastasraman two sets but third set I am unable get proper explanation.

Two Poonal Is Enough after child

In brahmacharyam stage => one poonal
After marriage => two poonal
After first child => three poonal.

Now the doubt is some vaadhyars say two poonals are sufficient even after child birth whereas few other vaadhyars say third poonal is required.

Can anyone shed light on this?
Why is this confusion prevailing?

Somebody tell like that but two poonal is enough after child, and this is the practice also.

There is no place for any confusion. The third is indeed representing thritheeya vasthram or மூன்றாம் தளுவம் as elders call it. when one has to sit in a session with uththareeyam tied in the hip, I have seen elders taking a thread from the uththareeyam put it in the ground and sit over it if they did not have the thritheeya vastram with them. The thritheeya vastram thus used to serve the purpose of an aasanam. The third poonool serves the same purpose but less effectively because it wont come handy when an aasanam is needed.

correct> I am also told the third poonal is thritheeya vastram. But does it start after the birth of first child or when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back