• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Secularism...No Religion please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Singleliner

If religion is a private matter, as considered by the Indian state, would it be proper to allow it to be active in the public sphere? The Indian state has not successfully resolved this contradiction!!!!

Excerpts from the valedictory address delivered at the Silver Jubilee celebration of the Department of Christian Studies, University of Madras, on September 4. by Professor Panikkar.

Please read this article published on The Hindu, before posting your view..

The Hindu : Opinion / Leader Page Articles : Religion in the public sphere

If religion is a private matter, as considered by the Indian state, would it be proper to allow it to be active in the public sphere? The Indian state has not successfully resolved this contradiction!!!!

Excerpts from the valedictory address delivered at the Silver Jubilee celebration of the Department of Christian Studies, University of Madras, on September 4. by Professor Panikkar.

Please read this article published on The Hindu, before posting your view..

The Hindu : Opinion / Leader Page Articles : Religion in the public sphere

நல்ல பதிவு .நான் இங்கே குறிப்பிடப்பட்டிருக்கும் இணைப்பை படித்தேன்.இந்த நவீன கணிணி மற்றும் தொழில் நுட்ப உலகத்திலும், மதம் ஓரம் கட்டப்பட முடியாது என்பது என் கருத்து.
இந்தியா மட்டுமல்ல,மதமே இல்லை என்று சொல்லிக் கொள்ளும் சீனாவிலும்,கிருஸ்துவ மதமும், முஸ்லிம் மதமும் இருக்கத் தான் செய்கிறது.அது எந்த அளவிற்கு ஆள்பவர்களை ஆளுகிறது என்பது தான் கேள்வி.
இந்தியாவைப் பொறுத்த வரை,மதமும் அரசியலும் பிரிக்க முடியாத ஒன்று.இட ஒதுக்கீடு விஷயமாகட்டும், ஷாரியா சட்டம் அமலாக்கம் ஆகட்டும்,அல்லது ராமர் சேது பாலம் ஆகட்டும்..மதம் அங்கே தனியார் விஷயம் என்று ஓரங்கட்டப்படவில்லை.அது ஒரு மதத்தின் நம்பிக்கை என்ற வாதத்துக்குள் நுழைந்து இரண்டறக் கலந்து விடுகிறது.
இல்லையென்றால், இந்நேரம், ராமர் சேது பாலம் இடிக்கப்பட்டிருக்க வேண்டும்.ஆனால், அதை இடிக்க மும்முரமாகச் செயல்பட்ட முன்னாள் மத்திய அமைச்சர் டி.ஆர்.பாலு தான்,இன்று ஓரம் கட்டப்பட்டு வருகிறார், ஏதோ ஒரு காரணத்தால்.
உலகளாவிய பொருளாதாரத் தேக்கத்தால் பாதிக்கப்பட்ட மக்கள் அதிகமாக சென்று கொண்டிருப்பது,தேவாலயங்களை நோக்கி என்று படிக்கிறேன்.மக்களுக்கு இன்றைய சூழலிலும் , ஒரு வித பயம் இருக்கிறது.அதிலிருந்து தப்பிக்க,மக்கள் கோயில்களுக்கோ அல்லது தேவாலயங்களுக்கோ ஏன் செல்ல வேண்டும்?
ஆக*, ம*த*ம் அங்கே குறுக்கிடுகிற*து.ம*த*ம் த*னி ம*னித*ன் விஷ*ய*ம் என்று சொல்லிக் கொண்டாலும், அத*ன் உல*க*ளாவிய* பாதிப்பு இருக்க*த் தான் செய்கிற*து.

... Good posting.Religion , though said to be a private one, in fact it does not remain so.Even in today's hi-tech world.Not only in India, even in a country where there is said to be no religion like China also, religion is there.People need escapism in today's recession hit world. Religion comes to the rescue. Otherwise why should the common man throng temples and churches today?Whether it is a reservation or Ramar Sethu, religion plays important role. Otherwise, Ramar Sethu bridge should have been demolished long time ago. But the fact is, it is T R Baalu who gave hot pursuit to demolish a portion of this bridge is being sidelined.

Thus, still, even in today's modern world, religion has its own macro effect throughout the world.

It is effectively not a private issue.

நன்றி , நாராயணீ . நீங்கள் எழுதும் சுத்த தமிழ் வாசிக்க சுவையாக இருக்கிறது . Your tamil scrip is enjoyable, and Keep up this good job.

Pure secularism and communism is not an achievable one,since, In God We Trust -Dollar bill, Oath in the name of God, Appar,Thiruvasagar, Sambandar poetry in text books are all inseperable with anyones day to day life.

Almost all political parties field candidates based on religion, caste and language in almost all the constituencies. For the Dravidian parties and few other parties in India, secularism means it is `Anti Hindu'. But privately they conduct lot of religious rites for their own prosperity.

Only certain muslim countries have declared that Islam is the official religion. Atleast they are honest to that extent.

BJP, Muslim League and Akali Dal are more honest parties subscribing to one particular religion.

Even Ambedkar embraced Bhuddism and Late Kanshiram was creamated as per Bhuddhist rites.

Secularism in India is practiced by Indian politicians for their own convenience.

Venkatramani, in India caste based politics works out very effectively,but not the religious one.BJP is an utter failure and has only helped sonia shining . Any idea why Indians dont favour religous parties?

Venkatramani, in India caste based politics works out very effectively,but not the religious one.BJP is an utter failure and has only helped sonia shining . Any idea why Indians dont favour religous parties?

Even caste based politics is not shining. Mulayam Singh Yadav, Lallu Yadav, Mayavathi, Ramadoss are all going down. Last Loksabha election is the best example.

With overall literacy going up, performance based politics only will survive in the future.

The previous Union Government introduced lot of social welfare measures like National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, Agricultural Loan Waiver etc which I earnestly feel has reached the poor and downtrodden. Definitely people have reciprocated by voting back the same Government.

MK had alliance with Congress at State level and probably has benefited. Let us wait and see in 2011 assembly elections.

looks like, 2011 election will again goes to SoniaShining and Stalin, and BJP will loose deposit with BJP-Jaitley, BJP-Arun Shourie and BJP- BC community Sings. Again a caste politics.

நன்றி , நாராயணீ . நீங்கள் எழுதும் சுத்த தமிழ் வாசிக்க சுவையாக இருக்கிறது . Your tamil scrip is enjoyable, and Keep up this good job.

Pure secularism and communism is not an achievable one,since, In God We Trust -Dollar bill, Oath in the name of God, Appar,Thiruvasagar, Sambandar poetry in text books are all inseperable with anyones day to day life.

நன்றி, சிங்கிள் லைனர்!

இந்தியாவில் சங் பரிவார்கள் என்றாலே ஹிந்துத் தீவிரவாதிகள் என்று முத்திரை குத்தி விடுவது வழக்கம்.ஆனால், என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரை,மத வெறியர்கள் என்றால், அது முஸ்லிம் மற்றும் கிருஸ்துவர்கள் மட்டுமே.

அந்த அளவிற்கு ஹிந்துக்கள் இல்லை என்பதே உண்மை.அவர்களில் பாதிப் பேர் கோயிலுக்கே செல்வதில்லை.அதுவே மதம் மாறிவிட்டால், தவறாமல், ஞாயிறன்று தேவாலயங்கள் சென்று விடுவது முக்கியக் கடமையாகிறது.

அது போல், எதனையும், மதத்தைக் கொண்டு பார்ப்பதே முஸ்லிம்களின் வேலை.

அது போல், கிருஸ்துவர்கள், மத போதனைகள், மூளைச்சலவை தொடர்ந்து செய்தல்...இதன் மூலம் சதா சர்வகாலமும் மதத்தைப் பற்றியே சிந்தனை.

முன்னாள் போப்பாண்டவர்,ஒன்று பட்டிருந்த சோவியத்தை உடைத்த மஹான்.அங்கே மதம் அரசியலில் புகுந்து விடும்.மேலை நாடுகள் அத்தனையிலும், கத்தோலிக்கக் கிருத்துவ தேவாலயங்களின் ஆளுமை.அவைகளை மீறி யாரும் அப்படி ஒன்றும் கம்பீரமாக நடந்து கொள்ள முடியாது.

அனேகமாக நூற்றில் ஒரு ஹிந்து தனக்கு எல்லா மதமும் ஒன்று தான் என்று சொல்ல வாய்ப்பு இருக்கிறது.அது போல், ஒரு முஸ்லீமோ அல்லது ஒரு கிருஸ்துவனோ சொல்லி நான் இது வரை பார்த்ததில்லை.

மற்றபடி, அரசியல், சாதிச்சண்டை, மொழிச் சண்டை இவையெல்லாம் அக்கு வேறு ஆணி வேறாக விவாதித்து விட்டேன்.இங்கே நேரம் இதற்கு இன்னும் வரவில்லை.

Thanks Singleliner! If it is Sangh Parivar, then immediately they will be branded as religious extremists; infact, only muslims, chiristians are extremists than Hindus. In fact, half of the Hindus, will never go to temples.If they convert into Christianty, then , it is the most important duty to go to church on Sundays. Such is their mentality.

If Musilms, every thing will be seen thro' their religion and so christians thro their brainwashing missionaries!At least one in 100 Hindus will say all religions are equal; But I am yet to come across such broad mentality from Muslims and Chirstians.

We know, how the last Pope involved himself in disintegrating the erstwhile Soviet.We also know the Roman catholic churches domination over their western governments, who can not just act independent of them, majestically!!

Then other issues, like language, relgion and caste based politics I have discussed in various forums. Here, time has not yet come .

On lips (for vote bank) anti caste,creed and jathi for the lively hood of indian politicians .heart in heart they are behind them in selection of candidates.pranams v.lalithakumar

நன்றி நாராயணீ .

இத்தனை ஆங்கில புலமை இருந்தும் , நீங்கள் தமிழில் எழுதுவதை பார்க்கும்போது மிக்க மகிழ்ச்சி . பாராட்ட வேண்டிய விஷயம் .

நீக்னால் சொல்வதில் ஒரு உண்மை இருக்கிறது .. கிருத்துவர்கள் முஸ்லிம்கள் ஜாஸ்தி மத பற்று அல்லது வெறி கொண்டு மத்தவரை தாக்குகிறார்கள்

ஆனால் இந்துக்களோ , ஜாதி வெறி கொண்டு , தன்னை தானே , தன் மக்களையே தாக்குகிறார்கள் , கொல்கிறார்கள்..

உண்மை . உண்மை . இந்துக்களுக்கு மத வெறி கிடையாது. அதனாலதான் எத்தனை பரிவார் / பி.ஜெ.பி /சிவ சேனா வந்தாலும் , ஸெகுலரிஸ்ம்- மத சார்பின்மை இந்தயாவில் இன்னும் தளைத்து ஓங்குகிறது... இது நாம் எல்லோரும் பெருமைப்பட வேண்டிய விஷயம் .

Its true Christians and Muslims are fanatic towards their religion and has its own invented troubles on others . Unlike, hindus are fanatic over their caste but not religion, and all the fighting and killing pounds upon themselves.

Its very much true, hindus are not fanatics over their religion, and that s why still Secularism flourishes in India, which is truy a matter of pride for all of us.

நன்றி நாராயணீ .

இத்தனை ஆங்கில புலமை இருந்தும் , நீங்கள் தமிழில் எழுதுவதை பார்க்கும்போது மிக்க மகிழ்ச்சி . பாராட்ட வேண்டிய விஷயம் .

நீக்னால் சொல்வதில் ஒரு உண்மை இருக்கிறது .. கிருத்துவர்கள் முஸ்லிம்கள் ஜாஸ்தி மத பற்று அல்லது வெறி கொண்டு மத்தவரை தாக்குகிறார்கள்

ஆனால் இந்துக்களோ , ஜாதி வெறி கொண்டு , தன்னை தானே , தன் மக்களையே தாக்குகிறார்கள் , கொல்கிறார்கள்..

உண்மை . உண்மை . இந்துக்களுக்கு மத வெறி கிடையாது. அதனாலதான் எத்தனை பரிவார் / பி.ஜெ.பி /சிவ சேனா வந்தாலும் , ஸெகுலரிஸ்ம்- மத சார்பின்மை இந்தயாவில் இன்னும் தளைத்து ஓங்குகிறது... இது நாம் எல்லோரும் பெருமைப்பட வேண்டிய விஷயம் .

Its true Christians and Muslims are fanatic towards their religion and has its own invented troubles on others . Unlike, hindus are fanatic over their caste but not religion, and all the fighting and killing pounds upon themselves.

Its very much true, hindus are not fanatics over their religion, and that s why still Secularism flourishes in India, which is truy a matter of pride for all of us.
hi singleliner
we are more inclusive in our religion.......hinduism accepts everything
so we still secular/democratical religion...wider choice of woship/
practices/different rituals...its UNIQUE faith/religion...so we
called " VASUDAIVA KUDUMBAKAM" ..means universal family...others
follow very exclusive....we had many merits/demrits...still we
are truly a UNIVERSAL RELIGION....

regards
tbs

I have always held the belief that 'secularism' is not about the rejection of 'religion' in the public square, but rather it is about 'accommodating the free expression of all good ideals' of all 'religions' represented in a social state.

I think the Europeans have adopted a more rigid view of secularism as 'the state should not permit any religious ideals in the public square'. This is probably because of the havoc created by their main religion, Christianity, which while supposedly came out of 'Love' has a violent past that is quite nauseus to the modern mind and Protestantinism, which extolls morality and ethics over any liturgical/religious sentiments.

But I think in a diverse country like India, where there are sizeable religious minorities, secularism of the first kind is appropriate. All this talk about 'pseudo-secularism' is a temporary phenomenon as people get more and more educated, and the electorate can not be 'vote banked'. I really look forward to the day when performance overrides any linguistic/religious/community concerns for the electorate. And the last election has given a glimmer of hope to India in this regard.

Regards,
KRS

Most of the Hindus are highly secular. However as per the dictionery of our politicians, if you want to be considered as `secular', you have to be anti Hindu.

To RV sir, The waiver of Agri loan for Vote, but what happendwith the poor Depositers,the last their earnings, eg: I use to get Rs 4924 as interest quarterly now it came to 2389 only so the PASI (P.C) was the total responseble person and what happend he won with the help of election commision. So the winning of election not by so called welfare measures was not reached the downtrodden just GANDIJI was helped to win in the election. Our governments should help to improve the Ruppee Value which will give more fruits. s.r.k.

To RV sir, The waiver of Agri loan for Vote, but what happendwith the poor Depositers,the last their earnings, eg: I use to get Rs 4924 as interest quarterly now it came to 2389 only so the PASI (P.C) was the total responseble person and what happend he won with the help of election commision. So the winning of election not by so called welfare measures was not reached the downtrodden just GANDIJI was helped to win in the election. Our governments should help to improve the Ruppee Value which will give more fruits. s.r.k.

Please don't think that agri loan waiver is just for vote alone. My father was an agriculturist till two decades back and I personally know the plight of agriculturists. After liberalisation started in early ninetees agriculturists suffered miserably and you must have seen farmers committing suicide on a regular basis due to debt problem. It is the duty of the Government of the day to address the problem which they did. Let us not politicalise the issue.

Interest rate dropping is due to several other factors like liquidity in the banking system, monetary policies etc. However Government of India has a scheme to support minimum 9% interest for senior citizens which you can avail provided you are a senior citizen.

Anyway both the issues are separate and the Government should address your concerns also by suitable mechanism.

Last edited:
MM Joshi wanted the 'Saraswati hymn' to be sung at a Chief Ministers’ meet on education,only to face the wrath, but, conveniently, Britons could have A Prayer as a national anthem. "God Save The Gracious Queen', invoking god in every alternate line of their national anthem, and that GOD they mean is definitely a different one, I think so. For good or bad, secularism was handed over to us by the same british.

Should the term secularism be also accomodative towards Salman Rushdie, DaVinci code,MF Hussain?

to RV Sir, Once we also had nearly 30 acres of land and lost the Kerala Govt Order. The death of Farmers is because of their foolishness and they are not much educated and When I did my Reserch paper on Feritilizer Marking In India and travelled all over India for data I found that Most of the loans used for lavish spending on Marriages and other purposes.I put my paper I was failed because my findings were against GOVT. s.r.k.

to RV Sir, Once we also had nearly 30 acres of land and lost the Kerala Govt Order. The death of Farmers is because of their foolishness and they are not much educated and When I did my Reserch paper on Feritilizer Marking In India and travelled all over India for data I found that Most of the loans used for lavish spending on Marriages and other purposes.I put my paper I was failed because my findings were against GOVT. s.r.k.

There may be misuse but at the same time, plight of our farmers were horrible. The minimum support price for Paddy, Wheat, Cotton and Sugarcane along with farm loan waiver has definitely helped the rural economy.

Similarly in the case of National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NRGES) also there is lot of misuse happening which we are seeing in the papers. But overall it has helped the rural poor inspite of some swindling. Corruption cannot be eradicated just like that.

Government is working on Unique Identification Card under the chairmanship of eminent industrialist Sri Nandan Nilkeni of Infosys. Once it is implemented, identification of beneficiaries and funds transfer directly to their bank account without going through the bureacracy is the object of the scheme.

Let us hope things will improve in the future.

Hi all, a gentle reminder. We are talkin' here about Secularism, not agri

single,

inspite of your nomenclature, i would like to request you to be more elaborate in your posts.

you are querying a lot, which is asking much of other posters, without any contribution from yourself.

for every query that you do, please justify it in a few sentences, and also a little more verbosity in your postings would indicate good faith in your stance here in this forum.

kindly treat this as a gentle nudge from the moderator.

we do not want our particpants to be prodding rods even though our general participants are as innocent as the jeevans on whom the prods are used, and do respond to the wishes of the prodder.

another single line post will be considered as an infraction upon the goodwill and sincerety of other posters, and will be dealt with accordingly (negative accumulative points to a max of 100 when you are out).. the grading will be exponential a la the police practices of ontario canada where i live. :)

இந்தியாவில் ஹிந்துக்கள் பெரும்பான்மையாக இருந்த போதும், ஒரு கைலாசத்துக்கோ அல்லது மானசசரோவருக்கோ அல்லது திருப்பதிக்கோ செல்ல அரசு கையை எதிர்பார்த்தது இல்லை.ஏழை பிராமணன், அல்லது ஏழை ஹிந்துக்கள்,உண்டியலில் காசு போட்டு அதை முடிந்து வைத்து, பிறகு தங்கள் சொந்தச் செலவிலேயே திருப்பதிக்கோ அல்லது வேறு ஹிந்துத் தலங்களுக்கோ செல்கிறார்கள் என்பது கண்கூடு.

ஆனால், பணம் கொழிக்கும் வளைகுடா நாடுகளில் கூட, ஏழை முஸ்லிம்களுக்கு ஹஜ் யாத்திரை செல்ல மானியம் வழங்குவதில்லை.மேதாவி அமெரிக்கா உட்பட..

அது போல்,ஆந்திராவில் மறைந்த ராஜசேகர ரெட்டி ஜெருசலேம் செல்லக் கூட மானியம் வழங்க முன் வந்திருந்தார்.ஆனால், நல்ல வேளையாக ஹைதராபாத் நீதி மன்றம் அதற்கு இடைக்காலத் தடை விதித்துள்ளது.

தமிழ்நாட்டிலோ சிறுபான்மை மதங்களுக்கு இட ஒதுக்கீடு என்ற திட்டத்தைக் கொண்டு வந்திருப்பவர் கருணாநிதி.

இங்கே தான், மதம் எனது தனிப்பட்ட விஷயம் என்றாகி விட்டாலும், மதத்தின் அடிப்படையில் சலுகைகள் வழங்கப்படுகிறது.ஆனால் ஹிந்துக்கள் என்று வந்து விட்டால், ஹிந்து மதம் என்ற அடிப்படையில் வழங்கப்படாமல், அதில் சாதீயத்தைக் கொண்டு வந்து, மக்களைப் பிரித்து வைத்திருக்கிறார்கள், மகானுபாவர்கள்.

அதனால், அந்த சிறுபான்மை மதத்தினர் தங்கள் பிடியை ,அவர்கள் கைவசம் வைத்திருக்கும் வாக்கு வங்கிகள் மூலம் அரசின் சுய சிந்தனையை முடக்குகிறார்கள்.அங்கே மதம் அரசியலில் கலக்கிறது.

ஹிந்து வாக்களித்து விட்டு பல்லாக்கு தூக்க, மற்றவர்களோ அரசனுடன் பல்லக்கில் அமர்ந்து செல்கிறார்கள்.

இந்தியாவில் தான் இந்தக் கூத்து!!

Though Hindus are in majority in India, they could not get the government grant for their pilgrimage to places like Kailash, Manasasaorvar or even Tirupathi.Be it a poor bramin or poor Hndu generally works hard to save to go there;But only in India, a poor muslim does get government grant to go to Haj and in fact recently killed AP CM, Rajasekar Reddy even proposed to give grant for Jerusalem pilgrimage to christians..

Giving government grant is happening only in India at the cost of Hindus, (whose tax also facilitating this grant)but not in rich middle east or in America, the so called gentleman!

In the case of reservation, recently Tamilnadu ensured reservation based on minority religion but in the case of hindus they are further divided into castes reinforcing the division amongst them.

Hindus vote but they are relegated to palanquin bearers but not the minorities who also vote but see to it that, they also sit with our kings in Palanquin (overtly or covertly)

It is a cruel joke, only in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back