• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Temple entrance for westerners

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread on this but it was closed because of the 6 month thing so I am reopening because I have a question. I have a conversion certificate and a passport with a very Tamil Hindu name. I had to use both to enter Madurai beyond the 'Hindus only' sign. I am white, but other than that look very Hindu. (comfortable in veshti, smeared in vibhuthi) I was asked by westerners if I lived here.

Firstly, does anyone know the policy at Kasi Viswanath temple, as I am planning to go there.

What about the Murugan 6? (arupadaiveedu) Do any of them have policies? (I've been to Palani, Tirupurunkandram, and Tiruchendur with no problem, actually the opposite, which is also kind of odd.

Also, does Madurai actually have a policy, or is it just 'hit and miss' depebnding on the gatekeepers whim of the day?

Of course the irony is that a Christian or a Muslim could enter with ease if the so desired but I suppose it wouldn't be desired.

Aum Namasivaya

eastern,

i sure hope that there is no hinderance to your entering any of the temples of tamil nadu.

if so, it would be a shame.

once upon a time, not too far back, we used to prevent dalits from entering the temples, which to me, is a crime against humanity, and eternal shame of the hindus.

things have changed for the dalits, by and large.

hopefully no such restrictions exist for folks like either.

welcome. and best regards...

If u have Faith and follow & respect Rules & traditions of the temples there should not be any problem

It is really sad to know your plight Sri Eastern Mind ji. Some of the temples have the board `only hindus are allowed beyond this point'. Since you have converted into a Hindu, you should not have any problem. Before entering, please meet the officials of the temple, probably Executive Officer incharge of the temple, show your identity with records and request him to instruct the temple staff. Legally they cannot deny.

If you want to visit any temple near Chennai, please inform me in advance so that I will take you to the temple. You please send a personal message. Thiruthani, one of the arupadai veedu, is near Chennai only and probably I can take you there.

All the best
எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Last edited:
re

There was a thread on this but it was closed because of the 6 month thing so I am reopening because I have a question. I have a conversion certificate and a passport with a very Tamil Hindu name. I had to use both to enter Madurai beyond the 'Hindus only' sign. I am white, but other than that look very Hindu. (comfortable in veshti, smeared in vibhuthi) I was asked by westerners if I lived here.

Firstly, does anyone know the policy at Kasi Viswanath temple, as I am planning to go there.

What about the Murugan 6? (arupadaiveedu) Do any of them have policies? (I've been to Palani, Tirupurunkandram, and Tiruchendur with no problem, actually the opposite, which is also kind of odd.

Also, does Madurai actually have a policy, or is it just 'hit and miss' depebnding on the gatekeepers whim of the day?

Of course the irony is that a Christian or a Muslim could enter with ease if the so desired but I suppose it wouldn't be desired.

Aum Namasivaya

As far as i know Guruvayur Temple has restrictions on non-hindus.But then you have a conversion certificate,provided the whoever converted you is acceptable by temple authorities as an authority to convert.My take,everyone should be allowed everywhere.God is common,whether we call him Krishna,Christ,Allah......I do not think Indians will dis-allow from entering any temple as you have a certificate in papaer and other papers too work with a Gandhiji picture,catch my drift.Thank You.

gopal.

Vanakkam everyone.

Nandri for the welcomes and replies. My motto is to be prepared. At Madurai the hired guide basically told me that I wouldn't be allowed in. It was kind of funny. I got the driver to go back to get my adoption papers, and passport. I think he was still surprised when the authorities in the office allowed me in. When the priest beckoned with the 'special attention' bit, the guide pretty much accepted it. I pretty much knew I'd get in from intuition, and who I felt I was. (A pilgrim on a long perhaps once in a lifetime pilgrimage)

I do agree with the "Hindus only" in part. A temple is not a tourist locale. Meandering westerners are not aware of protocol such as cleanliness, or the menses custom. Why should they be? So I don't really have a problem with it. But the sign says "Hindus" not whites. If you're not a gawking tourist, and you're prostrating everywhere with that blissed out look on your face in front of all the outer shrines, then its pretty much a given who you are.

Venkatramani: I may take you up on that. Depends on what kind of guide I can get out of Madurai. My wife and I will be doing arupadaiveedu in the old traditional order from starting and ending near Madurai, but making no geographic sense.

Aum Namasivaya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back