• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Revamping the indian educational system

Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT=&quot]NEW EDUCATION SYSTEM PROPOSED[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am really worried on seeing the plight of the present generation students. In spite of repeated warnings from the social scientists and educational psychologists, parents want to begin schooling for their kids even before 3 years. Kids shall be let free until they complete 5 full years of age.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mother tongue must be the medium of instruction until 5th standard (basic, primary education).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]More than 1 language must not be taught or imposed on a child, until 8 years.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Till the age of 10, only 3 to 4 subjects must be taught. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Grammar is to be taught only after the child attains 10 years.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Similarly, complex subjects/topics in Mathematics, Advanced Sciences are to be taught only after 15 years.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Examinations are not to be used as a tool to filter children going from one class to the next higher class. Instead, simple tests may be conducted to enable the children remember and internalize what they have learnt and to apply them in practical situations in life. This is especially so, up to 5th standard.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]8.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Apart from mere tests and exams, activity based learning, inter-active learning, peer group learning and other simple, effective tools and techniques to be adopted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]9.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]All children shall not be treated alike. Depending on a particular child's interest, aptitude and capacity or IQ, they must be exposed to different teaching methods.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]10.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Under-performing students and sub-normal students require special care and attention. They need constant monitoring and help. Their self-esteem must remain intact and whatever is felt unfavourable or adverse is to be removed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]11.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Home work and bulky school bag must be abolished. Excessive home work imbibes fear and negative image in the minds of the young children. Further, too much of home work exposes the weaknesses and deficiencies of the school as well as the teaching staff.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]12.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Corporal Punishment must be declared illegal and even criminal. Instead, positive reinforcements and reward for better performance are to be provided.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]13.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The ratio of teacher to students is not to exceed 1:40. (Ideally, it is to be at 1:30).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]14.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Private Tuition on commercial lines to be banned and teachers and schools who [/FONT][FONT=&quot]tacitly encourage them must be de-recognized and stripped of their approvals and licences. Any government support also to be stopped or withdrawn.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]15.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The schools shall not become a commercial organization by selling everything from uniform, note books, text books and tools.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]16.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Story-telling sessions and moral instructions period to re-introduced.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]17.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A separate period on general knowledge/awareness to be kept every week.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]18.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Games, music and fine arts to be promoted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]19.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Educational tours with government subsidy (not less than 75%) to be arranged at least once a year.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]20.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Students shall not be persuaded, directly or indirectly, to adopt the religion of the management of the school.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]21.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Students should not be utilized to mobilize donations for whatever cause.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]22.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]No student, who could not pay the fees in time or could not score a minimum cut off marks in an internal test, shall be denied the right of appearance for the annual examinations.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Praveen,

I wanted to post this thread under "General Discussions". Will you please move this thread there. Thanks.

pann, my comments are in blue.. thank you

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am really worried on seeing the plight of the present generation students. In spite of repeated warnings from the social scientists and educational psychologists, parents want to begin schooling for their kids even before 3 years. Kids shall be let free until they complete 5 full years of age.[/FONT]

i am sad to see this too. kids can go to school part time and play. the montessori system is good. but not good to involve serious learning till 6 years. i agree.

[FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mother tongue must be the medium of instruction until 5th standard (basic, primary education).[/FONT]

good idea. politically and socially unpalatable in today's india. english reigns. thackeray has won consistently. even the hindiwallahs of the north, are swearing in english these days.

[FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]More than 1 language must not be taught or imposed on a child, until 8 years.[/FONT]

don't know about this one. children pick up languages naturally. when niece was 7 years old, she know to speak tamil, english, hindi and bhojpuri. you talk to her in one language and she could reply in the same. it was amazing.

[FONT=&quot]4.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Till the age of 10, only 3 to 4 subjects must be taught. [/FONT]

i agree.

[FONT=&quot]5.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Grammar is to be taught only after the child attains 10 years.[/FONT]

i agree. it is more important to learn to speak. speaking correctly comes later. i can give real live examples if someone is interested.

[FONT=&quot]6.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Similarly, complex subjects/topics in Mathematics, Advanced Sciences are to be taught only after 15 years.[/FONT]

i agree. learning should be fun and attainable for the average student.

[FONT=&quot]7.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Examinations are not to be used as a tool to filter children going from one class to the next higher class. Instead, simple tests may be conducted to enable the children remember and internalize what they have learnt and to apply them in practical situations in life. This is especially so, up to 5th standard.[/FONT]

i agree. no exams till 8th grade.

[FONT=&quot]8.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Apart from mere tests and exams, activity based learning, inter-active learning, peer group learning and other simple, effective tools and techniques to be adopted.[/FONT]

i agree. while importance is given to rote learning, add to this is analysis and case study based learning.

[FONT=&quot]9.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]All children shall not be treated alike. Depending on a particular child's interest, aptitude and capacity or IQ, they must be exposed to different teaching methods.[/FONT]

the curriculum should take care of the mid 80%. special needs of the extremes have to be dealt outside of this spectrum.

[FONT=&quot]10.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Under-performing students and sub-normal students require special care and attention. They need constant monitoring and help. Their self-esteem must remain intact and whatever is felt unfavourable or adverse is to be removed.[/FONT]

i agree. refer answer to #9

[FONT=&quot]11.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Home work and bulky school bag must be abolished. Excessive home work imbibes fear and negative image in the minds of the young children. Further, too much of home work exposes the weaknesses and deficiencies of the school as well as the teaching staff.[/FONT]

i agree.

[FONT=&quot]12.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Corporal Punishment must be declared illegal and even criminal. Instead, positive reinforcements and reward for better performance are to be provided.[/FONT]

absolutely.

[FONT=&quot]13.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The ratio of teacher to students is not to exceed 1:40. (Ideally, it is to be at 1:30).[/FONT]

i agree

[FONT=&quot]14.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Private Tuition on commercial lines to be banned and teachers and schools who [/FONT][FONT=&quot]tacitly encourage them must be de-recognized and stripped of their approvals and licences. Any government support also to be stopped or withdrawn.[/FONT]

difficult to enforce. parents are competitive and seek the competitive edge.

[FONT=&quot]15.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The schools shall not become a commercial organization by selling everything from uniform, note books, text books and tools.[/FONT]

i agree.

[FONT=&quot]16.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Story-telling sessions and moral instructions period to re-introduced.[/FONT]

i agree. in additon, for higher classes, money management, ethics and career options need to be made aware.

[FONT=&quot]17.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A separate period on general knowledge/awareness to be kept every week.[/FONT]

i agree.

[FONT=&quot]18.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Games, music and fine arts to be promoted.[/FONT]

absolutely. physical fitness classes mandatory and certificate of pass required.

[FONT=&quot]19.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Educational tours with government subsidy (not less than 75%) to be arranged at least once a year.[/FONT]

i agree.

[FONT=&quot]20.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Students shall not be persuaded, directly or indirectly, to adopt the religion of the management of the school.[/FONT]

i agree.

[FONT=&quot]21.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Students should not be utilized to mobilize donations for whatever cause.[/FONT]

i agree.

[FONT=&quot]22.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]No student, who could not pay the fees in time or could not score a minimum cut off marks in an internal test, shall be denied the right of appearance for the annual examinations.[/FONT]

i agree

pann,

all this requires an emergency type handling by the government. the focus on primary education.

the key is training teachers, paying them well, paying them extra to go work in rural areas and making teaching an attractive viable profession. start with the teachers, i say.

thank you.

[FONT=&quot]13.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The ratio of teacher to students is not to exceed 1:40. (Ideally, it is to be at 1:30).[/FONT]

hi pannalan sir,
just for your info...i did my bachelors / masters degree in education..
( B Ed/ M Ed) and i worked as teacher one of the very famous
school in Mylapore., Chennai....there are many commisions in education...but in india ...the education is part of state
subject/some part with central govt...education/language
are emotional/sensitive/political topic in india........Now im in USA..
my children are in USA system of education....even my
daughter had primary/middle school education in india..
now she had high school /college in USA...here the
school education basically county based...whole country
respects each county's policy... we need progress than
more political mileage in education...but who really cares?

regards
tbs

When so much of illeteracy prevails after more than six decades of independence, there is no point in making cosmetic changes in the proposed education revamp.

Let them teach only mother tongue first. Let us not talk of two language or three language formula. Let us talk of one language formula. Let every Indian learn to read and write in their own mother tongue first.

Let every Indian know to do simple arithmetics first. Let him know how to add, subcontract, multiply and divide first.

Policy makers have to make the above as first objective and need not discuss endlessly about policy changes.

Government schools have become totally useless. No teachers or even if there is a teacher, he/she is not doing his/her duty.

Let the Government promote independent autonomous schools and at the same time regulate by an Independent body like SEBI where infrastructure requirement, faculty, fees etc are monitered.

Let Government issue free coupens to the needy which can be exchanged at any school of choice by the student for availing education. Let the Government reimburse the schools against these coupens for the tuition fee.

Make the admission of schools highly tranparent and see to it that no capitation fee is collected.

Objective is to achieve cent percent literacy at fastest phase at minimum cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back