• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

பெருமாள் முருகனின் மாதொருபாகன்

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

பெருமாள் முருகனின் மாதொருபாகன்

i had finished பெருமாள் முருகனின் மாதொருபாகன் a few months back. it is such a powerful book, that it took me a few months to recover from it. the theme is childless state of a young loving couple from the gounder community of thiruchengode area in the 1940s, 50s.

there is no shame greater for a woman, or a sorrow even more than loss of a child, is, the state of childlessness. and it is usually blamed on the woman. but there is also a realization, that it may be due to problems with the man.

to deal with the latter, apparently there is a tradition in these areas, that during the annual temple festival, the woman goes alone, and seeks an unknown anonymous partner and spends the night with him. and there are men, seeking out such women, obviously for a night of carnal pleasure.

the community acknowledges these children and the parents themselves address these as சாமி கொடுத்த கொழந்தை.

மாதொருபாகன் is the story of one childless couple, ponna and kali, how they deal with their childless state, and what happens. it is a powerful book written in வட்டார தமிழ்.

i am a great admirer of perumal murugan's works, though not so fond of his leftwing politics. it was a big surprise to me that the RSS burnt his book as insulting to the hindus. i would tend to disagree with this statement, but then, we in india, had already set a precedence; by the book burning & banning of 'the satanic verses' and 'da vinci code' as insulting to muslims and christians, both decisions, i disagreed.

i would have doubted if perumal himself came out strong at the banning of 'the satanic verses'. now, the double standards have come to haunt him. obviously he has a lot of supporters in tamil nadu, and i, for the sake of freedom of publishing, would support him.

but our idiot leaders, when they banned rushdie did not think even for a second, that they had let another genie out of the bag. and any further condemnation of 'hindutva' would only guarantee steeper foothold of those folks in tamil society. and as someone said, guarantee modi for next 15 years.

maybe this was the plan all along? btw, i doubt if even 1% of the folks would have read the novel.

one good side effect, is that the novel is sold out and they need to bring a new edition :)

BJP, RSS seek ban on Tamil novel, arrest of author

I would like to read this novel as the subject interests me.

banning literary works is the stupidest thing anyone can do.

ideas cannot be banished by killing the originator or banning his works.

no society can progress if it is intolerant of writers and intellectuals.

if an idea is banned, it will go underground and return in more violent forms with more strength

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back