• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vedam

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

s007bala

Indra the singers, Indra the reciters, Indra the choirs have glorified!

Rig Veda I, 7, 1

Indra the golden, armed with thunder, with his two bay steeds and the Word as his chariot!

Rig Veda I, 7, 2

The Sun is his eye, raised on high. Cloud masses he bursts to release the rain.

Rig Veda I, 7, 3

By your dread power, Indra, most fearsome, help us in battle to win ample spoils.

Rig Veda I, 7, 4

Indra we invoke in all kinds of contests, our Friend who hurls at powers of evil his bolts.

Rig Veda I, 7, 5

sb

re

May Earth who bears mankind, each different grouping maintaining its own customs and its speech, yield up for me a thousand streams of treasure, like a placid cow that never resists the hand.

Atharva Veda XII, 1, 45

The snake and the scorpion which viciously bite, which, chilled by winter, lie slothfully hidden, the wriggling worm, all that stirs in the rains--may it, creeping, not creep on us! Instead, may you grant us the blessing of all that is wholesome!

Atharva Veda XII, 1, 46

From your numberless tracks by which mankind may travel, your roads on which move both chariots and wagons your paths which are used by the good and the bad, may we choose a way free from foes and robbers! May you grant us the blessing of all that is wholesome!

Atharva Veda XII, 1, 47

She carries in her lap the foolish and also the wise. She bears the death of the wicked as well as the good. She lives in friendly collaboration with the boar, offering herself as sanctuary to the wild pig.

Atharva Veda XII, 1, 48

The creatures of your forests, dwellers in woods, lions, tigers, man-eaters that prowl about, hyena and wolf, misfortune stalking around, demons both male and female, chase them far!

Atharva Veda XII, 1, 49

sb

re

The Primordial Vastness is the sky. The Primordial Vastness is the sphere of space. The Primordial Vastness is the mother, the father, the son. The Primordial Vastness is all the Gods, the five sorts of men, all that was born and shall be born.

Rig Veda 1.89.10. hp, 114

To the strong Rudra bring we these, our songs of praise, to Him the Lord of heroes, He with braided hair, that it be well with our cattle and our men, that in this village all be healthy and well fed.

Rig Veda 1.114.1. rvg, vol. 1, 161

To Rudra, Lord of sacrifice, of hymns and balmy medicines, we pray for joy and health and strength. He shines in splendor like the sun, refulgent as bright gold is He, the good, the best among the Gods.

Rig Veda 1.43.4-5, 64

Like the household fire, devotees seek the glory of the Lord even from afar and enshrine it in their inner chamber for enlightenment. The glory of our Lord is full of splendor, all-illuminative and worthy to be honored in every heart.

Rig Veda 7.1.2. rvp, 2341

I glorify Him who is of wonderful radiance like the sun, who is the giver of happiness, lovely, benevolent, and the One whom all welcome like a guest. He bestows vigor upon the worshipers; may He, the fire divine, remove our sorrow and give us heroic strength and all sustaining riches.

Rig Veda 10.122.1. rvp, 4617

http://www.himalayanacademy.com

Shri HDG H H Gurudeva of Nandinatha Sampradayam.Shri Gurubyo Namaha!.

sb:hug:

For the great-souled, the surest way to liberation is the conviction that I am Brahman. The two terms, what leads to bondage and what leads to liberation, are the sense of mineness and the absence of the sense of mineness.

Yajur Veda, Paingala Upanishad 4.19. upr, 923

You must not use your God-given body for killing God's creatures, whether they are human, animal or whatever.

Yajur Veda 12.32. fs, 90

Perishable is matter. Immortal, imperishable the Lord, who, the One, controls the perishable and also the soul. Meditating on Him, uniting with Him, becoming more and more like Him, one is freed at the last from the world's illusion.

Krishna Yajur Veda, Svetasvatara Upanishad 1.10. ve, 762

Him who is without beginning and without end, in the midst of confusion, the Creator of all, of manifold form, the One embracer of the universe-by knowing God, one is released from all fetters.

Krishna Yajur Veda, Svetasvatara Upanishad 5.13. uph, 407

When a man knows God, he is free: his sorrows have an end, and birth and death are no more. When in inner union he is beyond the world of the body, then the third world, the world of the Spirit, is found, where the power of the All is, and man has all-for he is one with the One.

Krishna Yajur Veda, Svetasvatara Upanishad 1.11. upm, 86

sb

veda - needed study mates

I wish to study the meaning of the Samhita part of the Vedas. I know it is an arduous task and hope it will be made lighter with a few companions doing it together. Those interested , kindly contact.
If there already exists a group doing the same, I may be directed to it.
vikrama

வேதம் கற்கலாம், வாருங்கள்

தலைப்பைப் பார்த்ததும் நான் ஏதோ மஹா பண்டிதன் என்றும் வேதம் சொல்லித் தர அழைக்கிறேன் என்றும் நினைத்து விடாதீர்கள். மற்ற சராசரி பிராமணர்களைப் போல என்னுடைய வேதஞானம் பூஜ்யம். இந்தத் தளத்தில் வேதம் அறிந்தவர்கள் ஸ்ரீ பாலா போன்ற பலர் இருக்கலாம். அவர்களிடமிருந்து கற்றுக் கொள்ள விரும்புகிறேன். உடன் பயிலுவதற்கு மாணாக்கர்களை அழைக்கிறேன், அவ்வளவு தான்.

நம்முடைய மதம் வேதத்தை அடிப்படையாகக் கொண்டது என்று சொல்கிறோம். நம்முடைய தர்ம சாஸ்திரங்கள், இதிஹாஸ, புராணங்கள், ஆகமங்கள் எல்லாம் வேதத்தையே ஆதாரமாகக் கொண்டவை என்கிறோம். இவற்றினிடையே முரண்பாடு ஏற்பட்டால் வேதம் சொல்வது தான் அத்தாரிட்டி என்றும் சொல்லுகிறார்கள். அதாவது வேதம் என்பது இந்திய அரசியல் அமைப்புச் சட்டம் (Constitution) போலவும் மற்ற நூல்கள் சாதாரண சட்டம் (law) போலவும் என்கிறோம்.

அப்படி வேதத்தில் என்ன தான் சொல்லி இருக்கிறது என்று அறிய ஆர்வம் கொண்டவர்கள் என்னைப் போல் பலர் இருக்கக் கூடும். வேதத்தைப் பயிலுவதற்கென்று ஒரு முறை நிர்ணயிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. பாடசாலையில் சேர்ந்து மந்திரங்களை மனப்பாடம் செய்து- இதற்கே ஏழு எட்டு வருஷங்கள் ஆகிவிடும்- அதன்பின் பாஷ்யம் (உரை) படிக்க வேண்டும். மாறியுள்ள இன்றைய சூழ்நிலையில் நம்மில் பெரும்பாலானோருக்கு இந்த வாய்ப்பு இல்லை.

பௌராணிகர்களிடம் கேட்டுத் தெரிந்து கொள்ளலாம் என்றால் அவர்கள் ஆங்காங்கு உள்ள சில முக்கியமான மந்திரங்களை மட்டும் மேற்கோள் காட்டுகிறார்களே தவிர முழு வேதத்திற்கும் பொருள் சொல்ல என்று எவரும் வகுப்பு நடத்துவதாகத் தெரியவில்லை. வேதாந்த வகுப்புகள் நடக்கின்றன என்பது வாஸ்தவமே. அங்கு உபநிஷத்துகள் மட்டுமே கற்பிக்கப்படுகின்றன. உரையுடன் கூடிய உபநிஷத் புஸ்தகங்களும் நிறைய கிடைக்கின்றன. ஆனால் பாரதியால் பச்சை வேதம்- உபநிஷத்துகளுக்கும் ஆதாரமானவை- என்று வர்ணிக்கப்பட்ட ஸம்ஹிதைகளுக்கு யாராவது பொருள் சொல்லித் தருகிறார்களா, புஸ்தகங்கள் இருக்கின்றனவா என்பது தெரியவில்லை. யாஹூ, கூகுள் குழுக்களில் இதற்கென்று எதுவும் இயங்குவதாகத் தெரியவில்லை.

இந்த சூழ்நிலையில் இணையதளத்தில் ஸம்ஹிதைப் பகுதிகளுக்கு ஆங்கிலேயர்கள் எழுதிய உரைகள் கிடைக்கின்றன என்பது ஒரு ஆறுதலான விஷயம். www.hinduwebsite.com, Welcome to VedaRahasya.Net. ஆனால் அவற்றைப் படித்துப் பொருள் அறிவது எளிதாக இல்லை. இந்த வலைத்தள உறுப்பினராக உள்ள அறிஞர் பெருமக்கள் அதற்கு விளக்கம் கொடுத்தால் கற்கப் பலர் முன்வருவார்கள் என நினைக்கிறேன். அத்தகைய ஆர்வம் உள்ளவர்களை ஒன்று திரட்டவே இந்தக் கடிதம் எழுதுகிறேன்.

வேத மந்திரங்களுக்குப் பொருள் பார்க்கக் கூடாது, அவற்றின் ஒலி அதிர்வுகளே நன்மை தரும் என்று ஒரு கருத்து உள்ளது. 700 வருடங்களுக்கு முன்பே ஸாயணர் என்பவர் வேதத்திற்கு உரை எழுதியிருக்கிறார். அதற்கு நீண்ட காலம் முன்பே நிருக்தம் எனப்படும் வேத அருஞ்சொல் பொருள் அகராதி எழுதப்பட்டுள்ளது என்பதும் மேலை நாட்டவர்கள் பலர் வேதத்திற்கு உரை கண்டு ஆராய்ச்சி செய்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்பதும் நமக்கு வழிகாட்டும் விஷயங்கள்.

இந்த வலைத்தள நிர்வாகிகள் இந்த முயற்சியை ஆதரிப்பார்கள் என்று நம்புகிறேன்.

Last edited:
Old time translations of the Samhita's (the translations being by wsterners) books are being reprinted and available with Low Price Publishers,
The translationof the Samaceda by one south indian brahmin was available 5 years back and I got it.
But one word of caution to those who want to study the translations.The translations have been done by pesons with no Hindu background and it does not reflect the correct puport
Now that we areon the topic of Vedas one line in a lighter vein.Can any one guess from whci Samhita and from which situation the mantra we use for avahanam of pitrus on Amavasi is taken.
I will revet tothat later
PBK

தலைப்பைப் பார்த்ததும் நான் ஏதோ மஹா பண்டிதன் என்றும் வேதம் சொல்லித் தர அழைக்கிறேன் என்றும் நினைத்து விடாதீர்கள். மற்ற சராசரி பிராமணர்களைப் போல என்னுடைய வேதஞானம் பூஜ்யம். இந்தத் தளத்தில் வேதம் அறிந்தவர்கள் ஸ்ரீ பாலா போன்ற பலர் இருக்கலாம். அவர்களிடமிருந்து கற்றுக் கொள்ள விரும்புகிறேன். உடன் பயிலுவதற்கு மாணாக்கர்களை அழைக்கிறேன், அவ்வளவு தான்.

நம்முடைய மதம் வேதத்தை அடிப்படையாகக் கொண்டது என்று சொல்கிறோம். நம்முடைய தர்ம சாஸ்திரங்கள், இதிஹாஸ, புராணங்கள், ஆகமங்கள் எல்லாம் வேதத்தையே ஆதாரமாகக் கொண்டவை என்கிறோம். இவற்றினிடையே முரண்பாடு ஏற்பட்டால் வேதம் சொல்வது தான் அத்தாரிட்டி என்றும் சொல்லுகிறார்கள். அதாவது வேதம் என்பது இந்திய அரசியல் அமைப்புச் சட்டம் (Constitution) போலவும் மற்ற நூல்கள் சாதாரண சட்டம் (law) போலவும் என்கிறோம்.

அப்படி வேதத்தில் என்ன தான் சொல்லி இருக்கிறது என்று அறிய ஆர்வம் கொண்டவர்கள் என்னைப் போல் பலர் இருக்கக் கூடும். வேதத்தைப் பயிலுவதற்கென்று ஒரு முறை நிர்ணயிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. பாடசாலையில் சேர்ந்து மந்திரங்களை மனப்பாடம் செய்து- இதற்கே ஏழு எட்டு வருஷங்கள் ஆகிவிடும்- அதன்பின் பாஷ்யம் (உரை) படிக்க வேண்டும். மாறியுள்ள இன்றைய சூழ்நிலையில் நம்மில் பெரும்பாலானோருக்கு இந்த வாய்ப்பு இல்லை.

பௌராணிகர்களிடம் கேட்டுத் தெரிந்து கொள்ளலாம் என்றால் அவர்கள் ஆங்காங்கு உள்ள சில முக்கியமான மந்திரங்களை மட்டும் மேற்கோள் காட்டுகிறார்களே தவிர முழு வேதத்திற்கும் பொருள் சொல்ல என்று எவரும் வகுப்பு நடத்துவதாகத் தெரியவில்லை. வேதாந்த வகுப்புகள் நடக்கின்றன என்பது வாஸ்தவமே. அங்கு உபநிஷத்துகள் மட்டுமே கற்பிக்கப்படுகின்றன. உரையுடன் கூடிய உபநிஷத் புஸ்தகங்களும் நிறைய கிடைக்கின்றன. ஆனால் பாரதியால் பச்சை வேதம்- உபநிஷத்துகளுக்கும் ஆதாரமானவை- என்று வர்ணிக்கப்பட்ட ஸம்ஹிதைகளுக்கு யாராவது பொருள் சொல்லித் தருகிறார்களா, புஸ்தகங்கள் இருக்கின்றனவா என்பது தெரியவில்லை. யாஹூ, கூகுள் குழுக்களில் இதற்கென்று எதுவும் இயங்குவதாகத் தெரியவில்லை.

இந்த சூழ்நிலையில் இணையதளத்தில் ஸம்ஹிதைப் பகுதிகளுக்கு ஆங்கிலேயர்கள் எழுதிய உரைகள் கிடைக்கின்றன என்பது ஒரு ஆறுதலான விஷயம். www.hinduwebsite.com, Welcome to VedaRahasya.Net. ஆனால் அவற்றைப் படித்துப் பொருள் அறிவது எளிதாக இல்லை. இந்த வலைத்தள உறுப்பினராக உள்ள அறிஞர் பெருமக்கள் அதற்கு விளக்கம் கொடுத்தால் கற்கப் பலர் முன்வருவார்கள் என நினைக்கிறேன். அத்தகைய ஆர்வம் உள்ளவர்களை ஒன்று திரட்டவே இந்தக் கடிதம் எழுதுகிறேன்.

வேத மந்திரங்களுக்குப் பொருள் பார்க்கக் கூடாது, அவற்றின் ஒலி அதிர்வுகளே நன்மை தரும் என்று ஒரு கருத்து உள்ளது. 700 வருடங்களுக்கு முன்பே ஸாயணர் என்பவர் வேதத்திற்கு உரை எழுதியிருக்கிறார். அதற்கு நீண்ட காலம் முன்பே நிருக்தம் எனப்படும் வேத அருஞ்சொல் பொருள் அகராதி எழுதப்பட்டுள்ளது என்பதும் மேலை நாட்டவர்கள் பலர் வேதத்திற்கு உரை கண்டு ஆராய்ச்சி செய்திருக்கிறார்கள் என்பதும் நமக்கு வழிகாட்டும் விஷயங்கள்.

இந்த வலைத்தள நிர்வாகிகள் இந்த முயற்சியை ஆதரிப்பார்கள் என்று நம்புகிறேன்.
Among linguists, astrologial astronomers and historians there is a controversy regarding the time of the Vedas.In the recent attempt to solve the riddle of the indus valley now called indus saraswati civilisation lots of materials have ben gleaned fromthe Vedas.It is not correct to sy that you should not seek the meaning of the vedas.The Yajur Veda is mainly dealing how to and the proceedure of doing sacrifices.The sama veda mainl consists of Rks from the Rg veda set to musicThere are also 4 rks attributed to Lopamudra the wife of Agstya;You should come out of the so called prohibitions to et a clear understanding of the vedas

முற்காலத்தில் வேதம் பயின்றவர்கள் அதன் உரையாகிய பாஷ்யமும் சேர்த்தே பயின்றனர். பத்தாம் நூற்றாண்டைச் சேர்ந்த உத்திரமேரூர்க் கல்வெட்டிலிருந்து ஊராட்சி மன்றத் தேர்தலுக்கு நிற்பவர் வேத பாஷ்யம் படித்திருந்தால் அப்பதவிக்கு உண்டான பொருளாதார நிபந்தனை அவருக்குத் தளர்த்தப்பட்டதாக அறிகிறோம். ஆனால் ஒரு கால கட்டத்தில் மக்கள் வேதத்தின் பொருளை விட அதன் ஒலியே முக்கியத்துவம் உடையது என்று கருதத் தொடங்கினர். இது இறைவன் சம்பந்தப்பட்டது, இதைச் சொன்னாலும் புண்ணியம், கேட்டாலும் புண்ணியம் என்ற கருத்தே பரவியது. பொருள் உணர்ந்தவர்களும் அதைப் பிறர்க்குச் சொல்ல முயலவில்லை. கண்மூடித்தனமாக நம்பினாலும், மக்கள் இறை உணர்வைத் தானே கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள், அந்த நம்பிக்கையைக் கெடுப்பானேன் என்ற ரீதியில் வாளா இருந்து விட்டனர்.

பொருளை விட ஒலியே முக்கியம் என்று மக்கள் கருதும் நிலை ஏன் வந்தது? வேதத்தை முழுமையாக அறிந்து கொள்ள 48 ஆண்டுகள் பயில வேண்டும் என்பது வழக்கு. முஸ்லீம்கள் வடநாட்டை முழுமையாக ஆக்கிரமித்துக் கொண்டு, தென்னாட்டிலும் ஊடுருவத் தொடங்கிய கால கட்டத்தில் இவ்ளவு நீண்ட காலம் கல்வி கற்பதற்குத் தேவையான சமூக அமைதியோ, பாதுகாப்போ, அரச ஆதரவோ இல்லாத சூழ்நிலை. எந்த நிமிடம் மாற்று மதத்தினர் வந்து பாடசாலையைத் தாக்குவார்களோ, எப்பொழுது உயிர் போகுமோ என்ற அச்சத்திலேயே வாழ்ந்து கொண்டிருந்த அவர்கள் குறுகிய காலத்தில் வேதத்தின் மூலத்தை மட்டும் கற்றுக் கொண்டு பாடசாலையிலிருந்து வெளியேறுவோம், பின்னால் ஒரு பாதுகாப்பான காலம் வரும், அது வரை இந்த மூலத்தைப் பாதுகாத்து அடுத்தடுத்த தலைமுறைகளுக்குச் சேர்த்தால் போதும் என்று கருதினர். பதஞ்ஜலி குறிப்பிட்ட 1031 சாகைகளில் பெரும்பகுதி இந்தக் காலத்தில் தான் அழிந்திருக்க வேண்டும்.

இத்தகைய சூழ்நிலையில் தான் அதுவரை எழுத்தில் வடிக்கப்படாமல் இருந்த வேத பாஷ்யத்தை (உரையை) ஸாயணர் எழுதிவைத்தார். மூலத்தை எழுதி வைத்தால் பிரதி எடுக்கும்போது தவறுகள் ஏற்பட்டுப் பெருகிக் கொண்டே போகும் என்பதால் மூலம் என்றும் எழுதாக் கிளவியாகவே இருந்து வந்திருக்கிறது.

வாய் மொழியாக ஒருவரிடமிருந்து மற்றவருக்குச் செலுத்தப் படுகையிலும் எழுத்து மாற்றங்கள், குறில் நெடில் மாற்றங்கள் ஏற்பட வாய்ப்பு உண்டு. அதனைத் தவிர்க்கவே முற்காலத்திலிருந்தே ஸ்வரத்துக்கு முக்கியத்துவம் கொடுக்கப்பட்டது.

இவ்வாறு முஸ்லீம்கள் தென்னாட்டின் மீது படை எடுத்த சூழ்நிலையில் தான் வேதத்தின் பொருளை விட ஒலியே முக்கியமானது என்ற எண்ணம் தோன்றியது.
நன்றி- "வேதநெறியும் சைவத்துறையும்" -வசந்தா பிரசுரம், சென்னை மற்றும் www.sangapalagai.com - Tamil Stories & eBooks Online

பரிஷேசன மந்திரத்தில் 'ஸத்யம் த்வர்த்தேன (பதம் பிரித்தால்- த்வா ருதேன) பரிஷிஞ்சாமி' என்று வருகிறது. இதன் பொருள் 'ஸத்யமே உன்னை ருதத்தால் நனைக்கிறேன்' என்பது. இரவில் இதை மாற்றி 'ருதம் த்வா ஸத்யேன பரிஷிஞ்சாமி' என்கிறோம். அதாவது, 'ருதமே உன்னை ஸத்யத்தால் நனைக்கிறேன்' என்கிறோம். இந்த ருதம் ஸத்யம் என்பது என்ன? இது நனைக்கக் கூடிய திரவமா? இல்லை எனில், நனைப்பது என்பது எதைக் குறிக்கிறது என்று சிந்திப்போம்.

நடைமுறையில் இந்த இரண்டு சொற்களுக்கும் உண்மை என்றே பொருள் சொல்லப்படுகிறது.
ஸத்யம் ப்ரூயாத் ப்ரியம் ப்ரூயாத் ந ப்ரூயாத் ஸத்யமப்ரியம்
ப்ரியம் ச நான்ருதம் ப்ரூயாத் ஏஷ தர்மஸ் ஸநாதன:
என்ற ஒரு ப்ரஸித்தமான ச்லோகம் உள்ளது. 'ஸத்யத்தைப் பேசுக, ப்ரியத்தைப் பேசுக, ஸத்யமாயினும் அப்ரியத்தைப் பேசாதே. ப்ரியமாயினும் அன்ருதம் பேசாதே' என்பது இதன் பொருள்.

இந்த ச்லோகத்தில் ஸத்யத்திற்கு எதிர்மறையாக அஸத்யம் என்று கூறாமல் ருதத்தின் எதிர்மறையான அன்ருதம் என்ற சொல்லைக் கூறியிருப்பதால் ஸத்யம் ருதம் என்ற இரண்டும் ஒரே பொருளைக் குறிப்பதாகத் தோன்றுகிறது.

ஒன்றை மற்றொன்றால் நனைக்கிறேன் என்பதால் அவை வேறு வேறு பொருள்கள் தான் என்பது உறுதியாகிறது. மேலும் வேதத்தில் ருதம் வரும் இடங்களில் எல்லாம் ஸத்யமும் கூடவே வருகிறது. ருதம் வதிஷ்யாமி, ஸத்யம் வதிஷ்யாமி என்றும், ருதம் அவாதிஷம், ஸத்யம் அவாதிஷம் என்றும் ருதம் ஸத்யம் பரம் ப்ரம்ம என்றும் அடுத்தடுத்து வருவதால் அது கூறியது கூறலாக இராது, வேறு வேறு பொருள் கொண்டவை தான் என்பது தெரிகிறது.

இது தொடர்பாக இந்தத் தள உறுப்பினர்கள் தங்களுக்குத் தெரிந்தததைத் தெரிவிக்க வேண்டுகிறேன். பின்னர் எனக்குத் தோன்றிய கருத்தைச் சொல்வேன்.

My thoughts

Rth can be associated with 'proper', 'right', 'divine law', 'sacred custom' 'pure nature'.

Sathyam is truth.

In the morning:

To the food which is sathyam, let righteousness or that which is pure be its shell or cover.

Meaning - The physical body is nothing but annamaya kosha. Hence let righteousness permeate this food of which the body is made of.

In the evening:

To the food which is righteousness, let sathyam be it cover.

Meaning - The body is a result of righteousness (assumed that people engage in Dharmic acts). Let the food sustain this body (ie., the body which engages only in the proper acts).

Why this order? Can we not reverse it? What could be its significance?

In the morning we awake afresh and are ready for a day's work. Hence we imbibe our food (through it our thoughts and actions) with righteousness so that we may do only the right things in the course of the day.

In the night, we have performed acts (dharmic) and are ready to relax after a good meal. Hence, let truth permeate this body, which has performed good acts, and sustain it.

There could be other explanations. Mine is just one amongst those.

it is indeed amazing that u have chosen vedam for discussion. it will be even more appropriate if it is presented in the form understandable by a layperson. veda is the source of all knowledge. it would be nice if we could take topic by topic for discussion . i am suggesting this because vedic chanting is my passion. i teach vedic chanting. it would be nice to get enlightened on the various aspects given in veda. for example the concept of sraddha - faith in veda, the concept of vairagya - dispassion, etc. we can take one topic at a time an do a full discussion on it with appropriate quotes. i hope u will consider my suggestion. thank you.

to add to the list of explanations it would be nice if we can have a commentary for titriya aranyaka, which has 7 chapters. the meanings are already available for arunam and mahanarayana uprnishad. for others like namo vace, saha vai devanam, citi sruk etc. and also for katagam. now my focus is on doing an extensive study on the information given in atharvana veda for the various healing of ailments.

sir greetings to you,

i appreciate your eagerness to know the meanings of the vedas - samhita, aranyaka etc. we are sailing on the same boat. i am also eager to know the meanings. if you find a source kindly let me know. learning could be done together.

i reside in royapettah chennai - near hemamalini kalyana mandapam. a little more details about you would be appreciated. the focus is to first gain knowledge, and then to use it for the welfare of the society, in the best possible way.
best regards

Sri Ushasundari,
I am trying to understand the ideas indicated by rtam and satyam by comparing their occurrences in various parts of vedas. The one given by Sri Saptajihva is one of the many plausible explanations. There may be more. If you are interested in the joint study of vedas, please contact me at my mail id. [email protected]

When we look at the translation of Rik Veda , we come across the word rtam, vrata and dharma all translated as Holy Law, Eternal law or Law for about 350 times and one is led to believe that rtam is the central idea of the Vedas.
All devas [agni, vayu, indra varuna etc.] are said to be born of rtam. These devas are said to be the strengtheners and protectors of rtam.
What is meant by rtam which gives birth to the devas and is maintained by them?
ரிக் வேத மொழிபெயர்ப்புகளைப் பார்த்தால், வேதத்தின் அடிப்படைக் கருத்தே ருதம் தானோ என்று நினைக்கும் அளவுக்கு இந்த ருதம் என்ற சொல்லும் இதே பொருளில் வ்ரதம், தர்மம் என்ற சொற்களும் மிக அதிகமாகப் பயன்படுத்தப்பட்டிருப்பதை அறிய முடிகிறது. (சுமார் 350 தடவைகள்)

எல்லாத் தேவர்களும் ருதத்திலிருந்து தோன்றியவர்கள் என்று சொல்லப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. உதாரணமாக, ரிக் வேதம் வெவ்வேறு இடங்களில் வெவ்வேறு தேவர்களை ருதத்தின் பிள்ளையாகக் கூறுகிறது.

(எண்கள் முறையே மண்டலம், சூக்தம், சுலோகங்களைக் குறிக்கும்.)

1.65.2 சோமன் ருதத்திலிருந்து தோன்றியவன்
1.70.1 அக்னி ருதத்தின் மகன்
1.113.12 உஷா ருதத்தில் தோன்றியவள்.
2.23.15 பிரஹஸ்பதி ருதத்தின் மகன்
5.61.14 மருத்துகள் (காற்றுகள்) ருதத்தின் மக்கள்
7.66.10 மித்ரன் (சூரியன்), வருணன் அர்யமான் ருதத்தின் மக்கள்
8.6.2 இந்திரன் ருதத்தின் மகன்

கீழ்க்கண்டோர் ருதத்தைக் காப்பாற்றி வலுப்படுத்துபவர்களாகக் கூறப்படுகிறார்கள்-

1.14.7 விஸ்வே தேவர்கள்
1.23.5 மித்ரன், வருணன்.
1.90.2 வருணன், மித்ரன், அர்யமான்
1.101.3 வருணன், சூர்யன்
2.29.1 விஸ்வே தேவர்கள், ஆதித்யர்கள்
3.10.2 அக்னி
10.25.3 சோமன்
1.47.1 அஸ்வினி தேவர்கள்

எனவே தேவர்களின் பிறப்புக்கும் காரணமாகி, தேவர்களால் நிலைநிறுத்தப்படுவதும் ஆகிறது ருதம். ருதம் என்பது என்ன?

Rig vedic hymns say that Varuna is the king of rtam and he decides the routes of the sun, the dawn, the moon, the stars, the wind, the birds and the ships. Indra, another protector of rtam decides the course of the rivers and the growth of plants.
From these it can be inferred that rtam denotes the laws of nature. Every object in the universe has its own property (or own course of movement) and one supreme command coordinates all these. This supreme law is called rtam.

Rig vedic hymns speak of different gods like Indra, Varuna etc. but they do not mention of one Omnipotent God. Rtam is called the all powerful. The Devas, who are said to be the protectors of rtam are themselves the offspring of rtam. Hence it may be said that the concept of the Omnipotent, Omnipresent and omniscient God was evolved from rtam.

அரசன் வருணன் சூரியனுக்கு பாதையை ஏற்படுத்துகிறான். இரவில் ஒளிரும் நட்சத்திரங்கள் பகலில் எங்கு போய்விடுகின்றன? இரவில் சந்திரன் பெருமையுடன் உலா வருகிறது. வருணனின் விரதங்கள் வலுவிழப்பதில்லை என்று ரிக் 1.24.8 சொல்வதால் சூரிய சந்திரர்கள் தங்களுக்கு விதிக்கப்பட்ட நியதிப்படி காலம் தவறாமல் உலகைச் சுற்றி வருவதைத் தான் ருதம் விரதம் என்ற சொற்கள் குறிப்பதாக அறிய முடிகிறது.

ரிக் 1.123.9- உஷா (விடியற்காலை) ருதத்தை மீறுவதில்லை. குறிப்பிட்ட இடத்திற்கு நாள் தோறும் வருகிறாள்.

ரிக் 1.25.7- வருணன் பறவைகளின் பாதைகளை அறிந்துள்ளான். கடலில் இருக்கும் கப்பல்களையும் அறிந்துள்ளான். தன் ருதத்தின்படி காற்றின் திசைகளை அவன் அறிவான்.

ரிக் 1.101.3- இந்திரன் ருதம் கொண்டு நதிகளை விரியச் செய்தான். தாவரங்களை உண்டாக்கினான்.

மேற்கண்ட கூற்றுகளிலிருந்து ருதம் என்பது என்ன என்று ஓரளவு ஊகிக்க முடிகிறது. இயற்கையில் ஒவ்வொரு பொருளுக்கும் ஒரு தனி இயல்பு இருக்கிறது. சூரியன் வெப்பம் தருகிறது. நாள் தவறாமல் கிழக்கில் உதித்து மேற்கில் மறைகிறது. சந்திரன் இரவில் குளுமையான ஒளி தந்து, தனக்கென்று விதிக்கப்பட்ட கால அளவுப்படி தேய்தலும் வளர்தலுமான நியதியை பின்பற்றுகிறது. நட்சத்திரங்கள் இரவில் மட்டும் ஒளிர்கின்றன. காற்று, வெப்பம் குறைந்த இடத்திலிருந்து வெப்பம் மிகுந்த இடம் நோக்கி வீசுகிறது. நீர் மேட்டிலிருந்து கீழ்நோக்கிப் பாய்கிறது. தீ சுடுகிறது. மண்ணில் விழுந்த விதை முளைக்கிறது. இவை ஒவ்வொன்றுக்கும் ஒவ்வொரு வகையான இயல்பு ஏற்படுத்தி அனைத்தையும் தன் ஆளுகைக்குக் கீழ் கட்டுப்படுத்தி ஒருங்கிணைத்து வைத்துள்ளது ஒரு பெரும் நியதி. இந்த நியதியைத் தான் வேதம் ருதம் என்கிறது. அதை நாம் இன்றைய மொழியில் இயற்கை விதி என்று அழைக்கிறோம்.

ரிக் ஸம்ஹிதையில் தேவர்கள் தாம் துதிக்கப்படுகிறார்கள். தேவர்களுக்குத் தலைவனான முழு முதல் இறைவனைக் குறிக்கும் ஈச்வரன், பகவான், தேவதேவன், மஹாதேவன் ஆகிய சொற்கள் காணப்படவில்லை. தேவர்களைப் பிறப்பிப்பதும் ருதம் தான். தேவர்களின் அரசனாகவும் ருதத்தின் பெருங் காவலனாகவும் கூறப்பட்டுள்ள வருணனும் அந்த ருதத்தால் தோற்றுவிக்கப்பட்டவன் தான். எனவே ருதம் தான் பிற்காலத்தில் இறைவன் என்ற பெயர் அளிக்கப்படுகிறது என்பதை அறியலாம்.

Dear Sri Happy Hindu,
Thank you for your compliments in another thread. When I joined the forum, I was arrogant enough to ask,"When we call ourselves Tamil Brahmins, why don't we converse in Tamil?"
Subsequent observations taught me that there are some people who really do not know to read Tamil. Though their number is microscopic, they are not to be neglected since these are the ones most interested in Tamil culture and their contributions to this forum is greater. I find you are one such. As desired by you, I will give a translation, instead of a gist hereafter. But the problem is, I think in Tamil and translate it thereafter. It involves double work and the postings will be fewer. Yet I am not confident whether I have expressed myself fully in English. Now, over to today's posting on rtam.

The natural forces that work according to rtam are called Devas. Though this word refers to all the Devas, the word Savita is always preceded by the attribute Deva in Rig veda . (We know the phrase ‘Deva savita prasuva’ in our parishechana mantram.) So it can be inferred that Savita (the sun) was the first natural object to attract the attention of the sages. The word Deva is derived from the Sanskrit root ‘Div’ meaning light. Originally it might have referred to only luminous objects like sun, moon, stars, fire etc. But later, it came to include all the natural forces with or without light, visible or invisible such as Vayu.

[Rtam and its Sanskrit synonyms Dharma, Vratha are variously translated in Griffith’s work as law, natural law, holy law, true law, order, holy order, eternal order, orderliness, truth, highest truth, eternal truth, sacred truth, righteousness, right ways, sacred duty, Genuine. ]

The sage wonders what his role is in the vast universe. What is the relationship between me and the universe? One day he gets the first glimpse of the concept of rtam. He understands that he is a speck in the vastness. He could only bow before the Great Truth with a hymn.

What thing I truly am I know not clearly: mysterious, fettered in my mind I wander. When the first-born of holy law approached me, then of this speech I first obtain a portion.

இந்த விதியின்படி செயல்படும் இயற்கைச் சக்திகளை வேதம் பொதுவாக தேவர்கள் என்று பெயரிட்டு அழைக்கிறது. ‘தேவ’ என்ற அடைமொழி மற்றவர்களை விட ஸவிதாவுக்குத் தான் மிக அதிகமாகக் கொடுக்கப் பட்டிருப்பதிலிருந்து ஸவிதா எனப்படும் சூரியன் தான் வேத ரிஷிகளின் கவனத்தைக் கவர்ந்த முதல் தேவன் என்பதை ஊகிக்கலாம். ஒளி என்ற பொருளுடைய திவ் என்ற வேரிலிருந்து பிறந்த தேவ என்ற சொல் பிற்காலத்தில் பொருள் விரிவு பெற்று ஒளியுள்ள சூரிய சந்திரர்களையும் அக்னியையும் மட்டும் குறிக்காமல் கண்ணால் காண முடியாத வாயு முதலானவர்களையும் குறிக்கிறது.

இந்த மாபெரும் பிரபஞ்சத்தில் தன் பங்கு என்ன என்ற கேள்வி வேத முனிவருக்கு எழுகிறது. இந்த உலகத்துக்கும் எனக்கும் என்ன தொடர்பு, நான் யார் என்று அவருக்கு ஒன்றும் புலப்படவில்லை. ஒரு நாள் அவருக்கு உண்மையின் காட்சி தெரிகிறது. அப்பொழுது அவருக்கு மனதில் ருதம் என்ற கருத்துரு தோன்றுகிறது. இந்த பெரும் இயற்கை நெறியில் தானும் ஒரு துகள் என்பதை உணர்கிறார். அந்த மகாசக்தியின் முன் தலை வணங்கிப் பணிதலைத் தவிர வேறு ஒன்றும் அவருக்குத் தெரியவில்லை. தன்னுடைய மனதில் தோன்றியதை அவர் பாடலாக்கி நமக்குத் தருகிறார்.

1.164.37- நான் யார்? எனக்கு தெரியவில்லை. மனம் அலைந்து கொண்டிருந்தது. ருதத்தின் தலைமகன் என்னை நெருங்கினான். அப்பொழுது இந்த சொல்லின் ஒரு பகுதியை நான் அடைந்தேன்.

Dear Sri vikrama Ji,

It is not a 'minuscle' number of people here who do not read Tamil. It is quite a bit. I would say that it is almost 10 to 20% of our active members.

By the way, it is Srimathi HH Ji.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri vikrama Ji,

By the way, it is Srimathi HH Ji.
Dear Sri KRS,
This is not to justify my mistake. Just to learn.

While Srimaan is the masculine honorific and Srimathee is the feminine, will not the shortened form Sri stand for both?

Before the Kazhagam period you might have seen boards like Sri Meenakshi Amman Devasthanam and Sri Akilandeswari Amman Koil, where srimathi was not used.

Vedic Rishis did not hit upon the concept of rtam all on a sudden. They came to know of it gradually.

1.106.3 Two Mothers of the Gods strengthen Law.

When all the gods were created by rtam, who created rtam?
5.5.6 Fair strengtheners of vital power, young Mothers of eternal law,
Morning and Night we supplicate.

We learn that the occurrence of day and night alternately was the first thing in the natural order that caught the attention of the sages.
1. FROM Fervour kindled to its height Eternal law and truth were born:
Thence was the Night produced, and thence the billowy flood of sea arose.
2 From that same billowy flood of sea the Year was afterwards produced,
Ordainer of the days nights, Lord over all who close the eye.
3 Dhatar, the great Creator, then formed in due order Sun and Moon.
He formed in order Heaven and Earth, the regions of the air, and light.

It is improbable that after the creation of day and night, Brahma crated the sun. Hence it should not be taken literally but should be interpreted as follows.

The sages performed Tapas ( thinking and research) intensely. They came to know of Rtam and Satyam. The occurrence of night attracted their attention first. They realized that the cycle of day and night was caused by the sun. Then they observed the sea and noted its changes over a period of time. They found the same kind of seasons repeating in the same order and called them ‘rtu’s and the period of one cycle of rtus as year. Then they correlated the movements of sun and moon. Thus they gained the knowledge of the sky, the earth and the atmosphere.

முனிவர்களுக்கு ருதம் பற்றிய அறிவு உடனடியாகத் தோன்றி விடவில்லை. படிப்படியாகத் தான் ஏற்பட்டது.

1.106.3- தேவர்களின் இரு தாய்கள் ருதத்தை வலுப்படுத்துகிறார்கள்,

மற்ற தேவர்கள் ருதத்தால் தோற்றுவி்க்கப்பட்டவர்கள் என்று சொல்லப்படும் நிலையில் ருதத்தைத் தோற்றுவித்தது யார் என்று இங்கு கூறப்படுகிறது.

5.5.6- காலையும் இரவும் ருதத்தின் தாய்கள்
என்பதிலிருந்து இரவும் பகலும் மாறி மாறி வருவது தான் பிரபஞ்சத்தின் ஒழுங்கு முறையில் அவர்களுக்கு முதலில் கவனத்துக்கு வந்த விஷயம் என்பது தெரிகிறது.

10.190.1- தவத்தின் உச்சகட்ட நிலையிலிருந்து ருதமும் ஸத்யமும் தோன்றின. அதிலிருந்து இரவு தோன்றியது. அதிலிருந்து கடல். கடலிலிருந்து வருஷம். இரவு பகலைப் படைத்த தாதா (பிரம்மா) பின் சூரியனையும் சந்திரனையும் பின்னர் பூமி, வானம் இடைவெளி மண்டலம் வெளிச்சம் இவற்றைப் படைத்தார்.

இரவு பகல் ஏற்பட்ட பின் சூரியனை பிரம்மா படைத்தார் என்பது நேரடியாகப் பார்த்தால் பொருள் பொருந்தாமல் உள்ளது. எனவே அதன் உட்கருத்து என்ன என்பதை ஆராயவேண்டும்.

ரிஷிகள் தவத்தின் (சிந்தனை மற்றும் ஆராய்ச்சியின்) மூலம் ருதத்தையும் ஸத்யத்தையும் அறிந்து கொண்டார்கள். முதலில் அவர்களுடைய கவனத்தைக் கவர்ந்தது இரவு. பின்னர் கடல் பற்றி அவர்கள் அறிந்து கொண்டார்கள். பருவகாலங்கள் வழக்கமாக ஒரு குறிப்பிட்ட வரிசை முறையில் வருவதைப் பார்த்தபின் அவர்களுக்கு வருஷம் என்ற கருத்துரு புரிந்தது. ருதப்படி வரும் பருவகாலங்களுக்கு ருது எனப் பெயரிட்டனர். சூரியன், சந்திரன், பூமி, வானம், இடைவெளி, வெளிச்சம் இவை பற்றிய உண்மைகள் பின்னரே அவர்களுக்குப் புலனாயிற்று.

Last edited:
An appeal

Vedas are said to be the basis of Hinduism and Brahmins their protectors. Everyone accords very high regard for them, but, what do the Vedas say, very few know. Everybody has his/her own interpretation of the scriptures.

Formerly people were saying that Sati was a custom sanctioned by the Vedas. But Raja Ram Mohan Roy pooh-poohed them. Then, untouchability was prescribed in the Vedas, they said. Gandhiji proved them wrong. What exactly do Vedas say?

Again there is the problem of defining which books are Vedas. The Vaidikas consider all parts of Vedas, Samhita, Brahmanam, Aranyakam and Upanishad as integral and born of the God at the same time. But historians say that Samhitas were the first and others followed later in the order given above. While Vivekananda laid great stress on the Gnana Kanda or Upanishads, our Acharyas say that the Karma Kanda, (consisting of the first three) is more valuable. They include the smritis and the grihya sutras also as part of the Vedas. Ramanuja held the Puranas also equally holy.

Aurobindo and following him, Bharathi say that Samhitas were the only inspired verses and they are the true Vedas. (Bharathi derides the பொய்மை வேதங்கள் and wants us to bring out the glory of the true Vedas.) Whenever there is disagreement between the various books, the Vedas are regarded as the supreme authority. Within the Vedic literature the Samhitas are said to be the most authoritative.

While the Upanishads are relatively easy to understand, the Samhitas which are the original and inspired verses are covered by a thick veil of symbolism. English translations available in the internet are enigmatic. For example see the translation of Rig 10th Mandala 190th Sookta by Griffith, quoted in my yesterday’s posting. The translations of Dayananda Saraswathi of Arya Samaj and Aurobindo are not objective, I feel.

As far as I know there is only one Tamil translation of the Samhitas, by Sri M.R.Jambunathan written in the early 20th century. Alaigal Veliyeettagam of Chennai has republished it in recent years along with the English version by Griffith/Keith. The way they have edited makes one feel that their intention is to denigrate Hinduism, though it was not the intention of the authors. The Tamil version is equally enigmatic.

Are the Samhitas nothing but babble? If so, they could not have survived so long. There are people who swear that the vibration caused by reciting the Vedas is the only important thing and the meaning should not be gone into. But our Mahaswami does not prevent us from knowing the meaning, He says that the Vedas have meaning is an additional glory for them, like a golden flower having fragrance. First learn the text by heart and then go for the meaning.

Those who study the Vedas are content with the recitation of the text only and only very few go into the meaning and still fewer would explain them to the public.

In my young days I had no opportunity to do ‘adhyayanam’. Now I am old and can not memorize anything. I want to know the meaning of the original inspired verses and make it known to all through a book or a forum like this one, in simple language. But I can not find a book, a teacher or a place where I can get it easily. So I decided to do it myself, like Ekalavya. The postings in this thread are the result of my own findings. I do not claim that my interpretation is the only possible one.

If a group of people study it together they could get different ideas and after discussion the best one can be selected. So I want young companions (ladies and non-brahmins included) with interest in the Vedas, attitude for hard research work, knowledge of Sanskrit, Tamil, English (at least any two of them) to study the existing translations of the Vedas, find the hidden meaning and publish it in English and Tamil for the benefit of all. Seniors are also welcome. Sri Saidevo has shown us a great treasure and it can be exploited.

Please send your responses to this forum or [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back