• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sankalpa Preethyartham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Fellow Smarthas,

Hello! In the Smartha sampradaya sandhyavandanam, we say Shri Parameswara preethyartham. There is also a Shri Narayana preethyartham. Are we free to adopt this? In the Smartha Trivedi sandhyavandana book published by LIFCO, both choices are given. "Parameswara" literally means Supreme God even though now it's used as an adjective for Shiva. I meditate on Lord Narayana when I say this preethyartham? I'd like to choose the other.

Dear Fellow Smarthas,

Hello! In the Smartha sampradaya sandhyavandanam, we say Shri Parameswara preethyartham. There is also a Shri Narayana preethyartham. Are we free to adopt this? In the Smartha Trivedi sandhyavandana book published by LIFCO, both choices are given. "Parameswara" literally means Supreme God even though now it's used as an adjective for Shiva. I meditate on Lord Narayana when I say this preethyartham? I'd like to choose the other.
We are smartha iyers but follow Lord Narayana as our pradhana moorthy... we are called "keethu nama kaara"... Our sankalpam always begins with Sriman Narayana Preethyartham...

Last edited:
Sankalpam ...

I think it is proper to maintain what we were guided at the time of our upanayanams by our Gothra forefathers.

'Parameswara preerthyartham' or 'Narayanana preethyartham' makes no difference. Gothra sampradayam needs to be followed. Ariyum Sivanum Onnu. In Vishnu Sahasrama there is one nama as 'Parameswara:'. Three times chanting of rama nama is equal to onetime Vishnu sahasranama parayanam, as quoted in the text by Parameswaran, himself. In Rameswaram, Sri Rama worshipped with his family made special poojas to Easwaran to wipe off the sin in connection with killing of a Brahmin, Ravana. In Siva Pooja, while Sri Rudram is chanted at the time of abishekam, at the time of clothing and alankaram, Purusha Suktham and Narayana Suktham are chanted. Only sampradayams matter.

Coming to the point, it is better to follow the system followed by our ancestors at the time of upanayanam. In case, no such guidance is there, it makes no difference if you chant either way!

G Soundara Rajan:peace:

Continuation to my previous reply

What we practise in Sandhyavandanam, needs to be followed whenever we do any karma, subham or aparam, all through our life.:peace:

G Soundara Rajan

Sankalpam ...

I think it is proper to maintain what we were guided at the time of our upanayanams by our Gothra forefathers.

'Parameswara preerthyartham' or 'Narayanana preethyartham' makes no difference. Gothra sampradayam needs to be followed. Ariyum Sivanum Onnu. In Vishnu Sahasrama there is one nama as 'Parameswara:'. Three times chanting of rama nama is equal to onetime Vishnu sahasranama parayanam, as quoted in the text by Parameswaran, himself. In Rameswaram, Sri Rama worshipped with his family made special poojas to Easwaran to wipe off the sin in connection with killing of a Brahmin, Ravana. In Siva Pooja, while Sri Rudram is chanted at the time of abishekam, at the time of clothing and alankaram, Purusha Suktham and Narayana Suktham are chanted. Only sampradayams matter.

Coming to the point, it is better to follow the system followed by our ancestors at the time of upanayanam. In case, no such guidance is there, it makes no difference if you chant either way!

G Soundara Rajan:peace:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back