• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The traditional idli gets a makeover-

Status
Not open for further replies.
The traditional idli gets a makeover-

11idli-factory-1.jpg

S Saraswathi

S Saraswathi meets the duo behind a start-up called Idli Factory, in Chennai
The good old idli that has been around for generations gets a totally new makeover by Chennai entrepreneurs, R U Srinivas and Rajan Ramaswamy.

Catering to the new-age mantra of ‘everything on the go’, the two have transformed the humble idli into a quick healthy snack, compactly packaged to fit into a handbag.

The idlis resemble mini rolls, and have been marinated in generous helpings of molagai podi (a coarse mixture of roasted dal and chillies) and packed appealingly in a bright yellow wrapper.

The venture was launched four months ago. They are already a huge hit in Chennai.

R U Srinivas took some time off from his busy schedule to talk about his culinary adventure that began a year ago.

Read more:

The traditional idli gets a makeover - Rediff Getahead

11idli-factory-2.jpg

11idli-factory-5.jpg

The traditional idli gets a makeover - Rediff Getahead

My mom used to make a huge idli by filling up a lunch plate with idli batter and keeping it over the usual batter filled idli plates for steaming!

It will be made into six equal pieces by cutting diagonally thrice! We used to love the shape when we were kids! :hungry:

BTW, the amount of moLagApodi on the 'Madras bars' threatens me! :fear:

hi

i saw in chennai...idli served with molagai podi with pure ghee...three varieties of chutneys.....with sambar.....very soft like malligai poo

variety....very yummy taste....

See the ingredients of 'malligaip poo idli'!

Idli Rice - 5 cups

Raw rice - 1 cup

Aval/Poha - 1 cup

Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp.

Urad dal - 1 1/2 cups

Salt as required.

So, aval seems to be the catalyst. :thumb:

To learn the correct method, see this link:
Madurai Malligai Poo Idli Recipe

Namaskar.

How would Idli rice and Raw rice be defined in OBJECTIVE terms? e.g. amylose starch, amylopectin starch, gelatinization properties etc. so that some uniform parameters can be understood and the role of the avial also in the fermentation? What types of avial, from what rices?

Much research has been done to investigate the fermentation process and the successive changes in the microbial ecology in the idli batter. We should try to do even better than the older CFTRI literature.

Here I copy the recipes of some experienced cooks in the USA [Indus Ladies]

They either pan-roast or steam their long-grain US rice to get good results.

Therefore, they are manipulating the gelatinization qualities of the starch. What exactly, how much, these are not known with certainty. That is what we need to establish before idli can become the hamburger of the world and save the earth and the lives of millions of gomata. Therefore, this quest is not foolish. It all depends on what any human has been used to eating and made to think is delicious. I have grown up with idli-sambar, chutney, vada, and think they are amrta, those who have grown up with hamburger think the same about their earliest taste memories. Making something available is half the battle, and worth fighting for, especially for brahmans.

"when I use long grain for the idli--
it is 3 cups of long grain and 1 cup of urad dhal.

steam 11/2 cups raw rice without water (that is take 1-2tsp of water and mix it with raw rice)
and then soak it for 1 hour only.
soak the other 11/2 cups the previous night and
soak 1 cup urad dhal and keep in the fridge for an hour
and grind the urad dhal first for nearly 25-30min adding water little by little
and then grind both the rice together,
add salt and mix well with hand
and keep it fermented for 24 hours and do the idli like before.
If you think the batter is watery, add little bit of sooji, mix it and do the idli.

I follow Sri's proportion also 3 rice to 1 urad [Muzhu ulundhu]. Only i dry roast the 3 cups of rice and then soak it overnight or 6 to 8 hours. Same grind it separately and ferment.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]"

Please explain these techniques with regard to their cereal chemistry or scientific basis? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back