• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

This 75-yr-old mami has a cooking app to her name

Status
Not open for further replies.

This 75-yr-old mami has a cooking app to her name

Shobha Warrier

"I want to preserve all the traditional recipes as people are more interested in Italian and Mexican cuisine these days. I do not want the next generation to forget great dishes that are part of our traditional cuisine."

"People think Chitvish (short for Chitra Vishwanathan) is a flashy, smart lady, but no, there is nothing extraordinary about what I do. I am a housewife like any other; I just happen to be interested in technology."

"My entry into the world of the Internet began when I told a lady from Nigeria how to make veppila katti (a spicy chutney powder)."

Meet Chitra Vishwanathan, 75, who talks about her inspiring, self-motivated journey from a home-maker to a culinary expert.

You don't expect a 75-year-old mami (auntie) to be so tech savvy as to use her iPad to make her points, shoot pictures on her mobile phone when she goes for a walk on the beach, or talk about storing her stuff on the cloud as her hard disk kept failing.

But Chitra Viswanathan is not any 75-year-old mami.

She's Chitvish, columnist and head of the cookery section of a website, and a well-known food blogger who shares her recipes and culinary expertise on the Internet.

She vehemently denies she is different. "I am just a matronly, grey-haired Mylapore mami who is passionate about cooking.

"People think Chitvish is a flashy, smart lady, but no, there is nothing extraordinary about what I do. I am a housewife like any other, I just happen to be interested in technology. Yeah, I guess my hobby is different."

She may be modest about it, but there aren't many mamis who are active on Facebook, who upload pictures of their cooking experiments on the Internet, and have mobile apps named after them.

She welcomed our photographer and I to her home with a baked dish and a sweet drink, saying, "I have made these two for you. Let me know how they taste. Only if you like them will I upload them on my Facebook page. I always try new recipes on guests."

Needless to say, they were both yummy.

Please also read from here:

Puliyodarai, Caramel Payasam and more recipes - Rediff Getahead
Whoa! This 75-yr-old mami has a cooking app to her name - Rediff Getahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back