• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What is so special about tamil brahmins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to know the unique characteristics of Tamil Brahmins. I request our
members to spell out their views and findings freely.

1. Is there a specific thread common to all Tamil Brahmins?

2. In what way, the Tamil Brahmins are different from Brahmins of other
states/languages? (Which sets them apart from the rest?)

3. What is one single qualification compulsory for one to be called a true
Tamil Brahmin? If it is lost forever, what one has to do?

4. What are the major transformations of the Tamil Brahmin community
during the following periods?

(a) Pre-Historic period (before 2 A.D.)
(b) 2 A.D. to 9 A.D.
(c) 10 A.D. to 15 A.D.
(d) 16 A.D. to 1947
(e) After 1947 to 2000
(f) After 2000

5. What are the threats faced by the Tamil Brahmin community of
the present times?

6. How to shape up our future strategies and life-styles?
icon5.gif

Shri pannvalan

Yes Punool. :)

No difference,except language which sets them apart.

Tamil Language.Never lose it.

(b) 2 A.D. to 9 A.D.
(c) 10 A.D. to 15 A.D.
(d) 16 A.D. to 1947
(e) After 1947 to 2000
(f) After 2000

Skipping this.Too much history and less of herstory.

the present times?

Education.Interaction.Population.Love.Unity.

Agree to disagree on issues.Live in amity,peace,harmony.You scratch my back i scratch yours.Donate generously all three w's.

sb

Dear Bala,

Jokes apart, I shall try to answer the questions myself. I welcome further corrections.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Punool. :)

They are gifted with the exposure to two ancient, rich and divine languages of the world - Tamil and Sanskrit.

No difference,except language which sets them apart.

Their earnestness in pursuit of serious learning, perseverance and meticulous diction.

Tamil Language. Never lose it.

I whole-heartedly vote with you.

(b) 2 A.D. to 9 A.D.
(c) 10 A.D. to 15 A.D.
(d) 16 A.D. to 1947
(e) After 1947 to 2000
(f) After 2000

Skipping this. Too much history and less of herstory.

(a) Having a history of pride even then.

(b) Rich and varied literature in abundance.

(c) Being the pioneers in reviving Hinduism - a Cultural Rennaissance too.

(d) Introduced several Social Reforms and abolished many taboos and
superstitions. Paid back the British in their own coin.

(e) Weathered many storms and withstood the cultural and religious onslaughts,
successfully. Spread to many nations and hoisted the flag of success wherever
they went.

(f) Lead the Information Revolution and have started re-entry into politics also.

the present times?

Education.Interaction.Population.Love.Unity.

Identity Crisis, Disunity and Self-negation.

Agree to disagree on issues.Live in amity,peace,harmony.You scratch my
back i scratch yours.Donate generously all three w's.

Making our way come what may and adaptation to the changing times, without
losing out the cultural moorings.

Last edited:
If i may say something here...

Brahmins are a class derived from various tribes. The brahmanical cultures are unique. Imho, its the culture that sets them apart from NBs and is common to all TBs.

I cannot think of any right now. Tamil brahmins are generally understood to be dravida brahmins or derived in some part atleast from the dravida groups, so they may have certain observances not followed by brahmins of other states / languages (by dravida i mean 'south' and linguistic classification, nothing else).

Pray. For the welfare of himself. His family. His people. And for everyone else. In short, never give up the culture handed down thru generations. The responsibility is to take care of it and pass it on to the next generation no matter what.

(b) 2 A.D. to 9 A.D.
(c) 10 A.D. to 15 A.D.
(d) 16 A.D. to 1947
(e) After 1947 to 2000
(f) After 2000

This Sri-N-ji will be able to answer. Eagerly looking forward to it.

the present times?

Reservations. There is no negative image anymore.

Unity within first. Better communication with other communities next. Put forth citizens' demands together to politicians.

addition:

Unity within first. Better communication with other communities next. Put forth citizens' demands together to politicians. Help one another in whatever ways possible. Also help out other groups such as the economically ignored and most downtrodden ones.

Dear Bala,

Jokes apart, I shall try to answer the questions myself. I welcome further corrections.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tamil Language. Never lose it.

I whole-heartedly vote with you.

"Tamil Brahmin" has two words in it. Has the word "Brahmin" been forgotten in the above discussion? :horn: If we lost it then we would be simply "Tamizhan". ;)

Brahmanan....tamizhan agarathum....marathi agarathum....malayali agarathum....avan kaiyila illai...anaa Brahmanana piranthavan Brahmanana irrukkarathu avan kaiyila thane irruku?

Shri Sridhar

Brillianto brilliant.But Brahmana Gyanaam adaivadhudaan Mukkiyamay Thavira,Jathiil utkara kooradhudhu.Nammudaiya acharam kalacharam ellam mukkiayamana vazhipadugal.Of course there is always exceptions to rule.

sb

Most of the qualities I had described are quite unique to Brahmins only.

As per the present system, parentage (birth) alone decides one's caste, whereas one has got total liberty to change his language of communication and place of settlement, as one likes, without any ostensible restriction.

Therefore, my dear Sridhar, only choice of one's language is in one's hands, not one's caste, as you have argued.

Of course, having been born into a brahmin family, whether to continue as a brahmin throughout one's life or not is according to one's choice only. Right?

Shri Pannvalan

Correct me if i am wrong.When i was born like the rest of us,i did not know about jathi.I did not know daivam.I did not know i am tamizh.But yet as i grew up,not only did i come to know,that i am indian,tamil,brahmin,iyer,vadama,yajur vedi,gothra,.....so a complete profile formed.But did i invent any of these profilers?NO.But i adhered to my parents,elders,family,friends,society.Am i able to shrug my identity now.Yes.At what age this maturity comes?So,what am i now?This i can only figure out,nobody else can.At the most,people will help.Religion gives a path.Each religion has a method.In my view,all methods are appropriate.God is common to all.Whether we say Shiva,Vishnu,Brahma or Brahman or Christ or Allah or Yahway or Wahe Guru or......its the same one god which humanity, becoz of, individual perception says it differently.This as a Brahmin,i can relate very easily and be contented in life.This is what brahmins as a breed of people sets them apart.Each language is unique and wonderful.To me now,English is the most wonderful language in my life.Sanathana Dharma is most wonderful religion in my life.My wife and children & other relatives,are the most wonderful family in my life.My friends here and elsewhere are most wonderful friends in my life.I have a small world and small belief system,and i am a proud English Brahmin.:)

sb

Last edited:
Dear Bala,

Please accept my best wishes first. I reply to your beautiful question as follows.

In a close circe, especially in India, concealing or not wearing one's identity is either not possible or if it is sought be done, it is looked down with suspicion. Even if I want to leave some outwardly marks, they don't leave me and I have to accept it.

I fully concur with you, atleast hypothetically, that everyone who is born on this earth is the same. But, whether he/she likes it or not, certain identities like religion, caste, language, nationality etc. are ascribed to him/her. (this is called 'ascribed status', in psychology). These are mere outward identities. What a man inside is
known to him only.

In course of time, after reaching certain age and social status, he musters necessary courage to shed some outwardly identities which he doesn't want to wear any longer.
He wants to be identified by his actions, behaviour, achievements and so on. (This is called 'achieved status' in psychology).

This 'achieved status' is entirely in one's hands. I strongly believe in the almighty but
am of the firm conviction that nothing like planning, hard work and perseverance. To tell you the truth, at personal level, I have friends from all spheres or groups. I do not categorise anybody according to their birth. But, I only expect them to behave the same way.

Having said all this, I am proud of my cultural heritage and I have no hesitation to say this openly.

From some of your sentences I infer you are also afflicted by the 'confused identity' crisis. If my inference is wrong, I will withdraw my statement and readily apologise for my comment.

Please respond.

Last edited:
Shri pannvalan

>>From some of your sentences I infer if you are also afflicted by the 'confused identity' crisis. If my inference is wrong, I will withdraw my statement and readily apologise for my comment.<<

First i would like to thank god almighty,for allowing me to be amongst you in this forum.The sheer decency in writing matter,brings a sense of order,which is a true revealation of Tamil Brahmins identity.

At this stage in my life,i live moment to moment.Becoz only present time is truth.I make planning no doubt and have planned for future.The probability of chance is 50-50.

What i am i know.What i am from others view point,one can make,a sketchy profile,from my writings.But who actually i am,despite my own assesment and others view point assesment,is that "original Soul" or Brahman which unites all of us as brahman,is the actual identity.

I am not very sure,if i have conveyed correctly,regarding confused identity.I am a down to earth person,and appreciate constructive criticism,if its going to make me a better human being.No one can remove from me,the Indian Origin Roots.I am eternally in love with Bharatham,wherever i am or whatever citizenship i hold.I look like an Indian,speak like an Indian,and i am an Indian. :) Tamil speaking Indian as Kamala Hassan says with a caveat in American World. :)

sb

Bala,

A person who is true to one's conscience, steadfast in his path and focussed on his goals, need not worry about others' assessment or require a conduct cerficate from others.

If you can read Tamil, I will send a poem written by me, which has been appreciated by Dr. Abdul Kalam.

May God bless you.

Shri pannvalan

Plz do post the poem or email it.Thank you for honoring me.Especially if Shri Abdulji has appreciated,truly it must be superb.

>>A person who is true to one's conscience, steadfast in his path and focussed on his goals, need not worry about others' assessment or require a conduct cerficate from others.<<

I am not worried as to what others think of me,becoz it will drive one crazy,if one were to reflect upon each & every individuals view.But,certain individuals appreciations makes one feel happy.Just as in your case,Shri Abdulji's appreciation of your poem,isn't it?When a Mahaan Mahaswamigal blessed me with Abhaya Hasta Mudra with audible blessings,i think,janma janma tapas,has got fulfilled in this janma for me-becoz the blessing comes from a noble Mahaswamigal.Hope you catch my point.But your blessings are equally welcomed,thank you.

sb

Last edited:
Most of the qualities I had described are quite unique to Brahmins only.

As per the present system, parentage (birth) alone decides one's caste, whereas one has got total liberty to change his language of communication and place of settlement, as one likes, without any ostensible restriction.

Therefore, my dear Sridhar, only choice of one's language is in one's hands, not one's caste, as you have argued.

Of course, having been born into a brahmin family, whether to continue as a brahmin throughout one's life or not is according to one's choice only. Right?

Shri Sridhar

Brillianto brilliant.But Brahmana Gyanaam adaivadhudaan Mukkiyamay Thavira,Jathiil utkara kooradhudhu.Nammudaiya acharam kalacharam ellam mukkiayamana vazhipadugal.Of course there is always exceptions to rule.

sb

Dear Pannvalan,

I guess, what I am saying now is the same as what Bala has said above in different words.

Brahmanana pirandavan Brahmanana irrukkanumna, avan Brahma gyanam adaiiya muyarchiavathu edukkanum.

In a lighter vein: Tamizhan tamilian maadiri, Brahmin Brahmanan. Naama Brahmina irruka pirappu poadum aanal, Brahmanana irruka muyarchiyum saadhanaiyum (effort and disciple) veanum. :)

Dear Pannvalan,

I guess, what I am saying now is the same as what Bala has said above in different words.

Brahmanana pirandavan Brahmanana irrukkanumna, avan Brahma gyanam adaiiya muyarchiavathu edukkanum.

In a lighter vein: Tamizhan tamilian maadiri, Brahmin Brahmanan. Naama Brahmina irruka pirappu poadum aanal, Brahmanana irruka muyarchiyum saadhanaiyum (effort and disciple) veanum. :)[/quote
hi sb,
im tamil and tamil brahmin too......wherever i try to be tamil and brahmin too. here in paradesi world...first indian american... not american indian..
even though here in USA we may live phisically .. means KARMA BHOOMI..
but bharatham JANMA BHOOMI........kinda confused life like ABCD......
means AMERICAN BORN CONFUSED DESI........THIS IS OUR IDENTITY HERE..

regards
tbs

tbs,

the term ABCD is like a genus with many sorts of species under it .. there are all sorts of people, hard to say if some are indian at all, forget hindu or other identities.

perhaps that's how india will bcome someday...so also hinduism as a religion perhaps...even in the past upanishadic monotheism perhaps played its unseen role in keeping the polytheistic distinctiness of various gods from breaking into various sectarian units...

Last edited:
tbs,HH

Now i am just a spirit soul inside a body.:) Not a aa e ee or ABCD or ka ga na...:)

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back