• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Low fat Dal Makhani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low fat Dal Makhani

dal-makhani+001.JPG

Dal Makhani, is probably the most recognized delicacy of northern india, originating in Punjab.It is also highly nutritious as it contains beans. A very popular vegetarian dish in northern India.It is part of a everyday punjabi meal. As all Punjabi cuisines,this dish is also heavy in dairy & hence fat.

On my quest of low-fat recreation of the popular indian dishes, I cooked it in the following way.
I was a bit in doubt, on the success of this experiment, as I planned to totally skip the main ingridient "makhan" (butter) in this makhani(buttery) dish. But it came out very well, and pretty close to the original. A tad less on the smoothness though (due to lack of butter & creame), but tasted very good.

Ingredients:

Whole urid dal(urd beans--black beans)--2 portions

Rajma dal(red coco beans/red kidney beans)-1 portion

green chillies-2

ginger--1 inch piece

garlic cloves-2

ginger-garlic paste-1 tbsp(apart from the above mentioned ginger-garlic)

1 bay leaf

1tsp turmeric

1tsp cumin seeds

1tsp cumin powder

1tsp corriander powder

1tsp chilli powder

1/2 cup milk (cream can be used for a more smoother version)

Method:

1.Soak 2 portions of whole urid dal and one portion of rajma overnight.

2. next day boil the soaked dal with some adrak and green chillies cut into small pieces.Use less water than normal.

3. When cooked, mash the dal a little, keep aside.

4. Heat a non stick pan and spray one noozle spray oil.Pop in the cumin seeds and the bay leaf (fat rich version uses 2-3 knobs of butter here, instead of spray oil) .

5. When cumin seeds are fried,add the ginger-garlic paste and cook until you get the nice aroma of garlic-ginger..

6. Add pureed tomato, cook till tomato is reduced.

7. Add cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder(if desired a hot version), fry for 5-6 mins.

8. Add the cooked dals & fry for a while.

9. Add milk to get the dal to required consistency.(For a richer version you can use single cream).

10.Sprinkle garam masala and cook covered for another 2 minutes.

11.Serve & NJOY.

Fat Free Indian cooking: Low fat Dal Makhani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back