• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dum Aloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dum Aloo

Dum aloo or aloo dum is a very popular dish prepared with baby potatoes.

It is very simple to prepare and tastes delicious. My children love this dish with chapati and all flavored rice.

How to prepare Dum Aloo

Prep time -under 15 mins
Cook time -under 30 mins
Serves - 3-4

Ingredients needed

Baby potatoes -15-20 very small potatoes
Onion - 2 finely chopped /1 cup
Tomatoes - 3 big and juicy ones (I used Bangalore tomatoes)
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
Oil/Butter - 2 tbsp
Salt as required
Cashew nuts -5 (optional)

Oil for shallow frying potatoes

Spice Powder

Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder - 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Cumin powder -3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder-1 tsp

For the seasoning

Bay leaf -1
Jeera/Cumin seeds -1 tsp

For garnishing

Coriander leaves
Julienne ginger(ginger cut into thin strips)
Cream - 2 tbsp (optional)

Preparation

Parboil the potatoes (cook partially). Peel the skin, prick all over with a fork and shallow fry it till golden brown. Keep it aside. I used more than 15 potatoes as my potatoes were very small.

Puree the tomatoes and keep it aside. You can also blanch tomatoes and then puree it. Check out how to blanch tomatoes.​

Soak cashew nuts in hot water and grind it to a fine paste. This is added to give richness to the gravy.​

Method

Heat oil/butter in a pan, add bay leaf, jeera seeds, when jeera sizzles, add finely chopped onions and saute until onions turn brown. Continuous stirring is required. You can add a little salt to speed up the process.​

Then add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a few more minutes.

Add tomato puree, all the spice powder, salt needed and saute until tomatoes turn mushy and oil separates. You should not add water without cooking the tomatoes properly.

Add cashew nut paste and cook for a few more minutes.

Then add the shallow fried potatoes, 3/4 cup of water and cook covered for 6-10 minutes in low flame.

Add cream (amul cream or dairy cream) if preferred.

Garnish it with coriander leaves and thinly sliced ginger.

Enjoy it hot with rotis,chapati, parathas, plain rice or any pulao (without tomato base).

Dum Aloo-Dum Aloo recipe-How to prepare Dum Aloo | Padhuskitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back